ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler entering portal

JOC's texts to Burton have gone unanswered...sad.

I love how Mooney's quote on the 3rd party NIL, it is something we are looking into. Perfect encapsulation of our athletic department. Good athletic departments set these up as soon as they could and are using them to their fullest advantage, meanwhile, hear we sit, "looking into it". Granted the quote was February, (maybe Mooney is on vacay or something now since he is never around to respond to developments in the program), so maybe we have one, but if that is the case, you would think JOC would know about it and have reported on it.

I love how Mooney's quote on the 3rd party NIL, it is something we are looking into. Perfect encapsulation of our athletic department. Good athletic departments set these up as soon as they could and are using them to their fullest advantage, meanwhile, hear we sit, "looking into it". Granted the quote was February, (maybe Mooney is on vacay or something now since he is never around to respond to developments in the program), so maybe we have one, but if that is the case, you would think JOC would know about it and have reported on it.
It's one more thing that Hardt can blame our poor record on after the season ends. First it was academics, then the lack of a practice facility, then whatever the hell he spewed after this season, next it will be lack of an NIL fund. Always a day late and many dollars short.

I have to admit, kind of jealous of Tyler. He gets to leave this morass of a program and start anew. Meanwhile, us fans are stuck in purgatory of Mooney mediocracy. It is a bad, unfun, predictable ride, I'd like the opportunity for a new start sometime in my lifetime.
the transfer portal is open for fans too!
don't even have to sit out a year!

I have to admit, kind of jealous of Tyler. He gets to leave this morass of a program and start anew. Meanwhile, us fans are stuck in purgatory of Mooney mediocracy. It is a bad, unfun, predictable ride, I'd like the opportunity for a new start sometime in my lifetime.
It's too bad 2020 and 2022 made you so miserable. But, why suffer? Just leave the board and find another team.

I know a lot of people that either did Richmond undergrad and another place for grad school or vice versa and they don't even claim us athletically speaking, just all in on the other school's teams. Makes a lot of sense.

the transfer portal is open for fans too!
don't even have to sit out a year!
Yep, and maybe he can find a team to support that made the NCAA tourney in basketball, and NCAA playoffs in football and lacrosse the past 15 months.....oh, wait.

It's too bad 2020 and 2022 made you so miserable. But, why suffer? Just leave the board and find another team.
2020 was a good year but we were firmly on the bubble when Covid shut down.

2022 we were picked to win the league, woefully underperformed and finished 6th. That run we had in March was magical but any fan who lived through that season was largely disappointed for 75+% of it.

You know it's not that easy. I know several fans who have made a clean break, but I can't. I'm a season ticket holder, an alum, it is the school that I have my allegiance too.

Mooneyites view us as "negative" but we are the season ticket holders at every game and invested in what is going on. I don't think most of them even watch the games.

I know a lot of people that either did Richmond undergrad and another place for grad school or vice versa and they don't even claim us athletically speaking, just all in on the other school's teams. Makes a lot of sense.
Well, I'm the opposite, and I know a lot of people who are the same also.

Tyler getting some ESPN love .....

The 6-foot-7 forward is the fourth transfer addition for Villanova this offseason, joining T.J. Bamba (Washington State), Hakim Hart (Maryland) and Lance Ware (Kentucky). Burton, Bamba and Hart are all top-100 transfers and should start immediately for the Wildcats.

Those three newcomers should combine with returnees Justin Moore and Eric Dixon to form one of the best and most experienced starting lineups in the Big East.

A second-team All-Atlantic 10 selection last season, Burton averaged 19.0 points and 7.4 rebounds. He continued to improve throughout his four seasons at Richmond, going from 4.6 points as a freshman to 12.0 as a sophomore, 16.1 as a junior and his career high as a senior. Burton also became a more effective inside-outside player, shooting better than 36% from 3 as a sophomore and junior and attempting nearly six 3s a game as a senior.

In its first season following Jay Wright's retirement, Villanova had its worst campaign since 2012, finishing just 17-17 overall and 10-10 in the Big East.

if you're not from Philly ... then Philly is pretty much the worst.
I live about an hour from Philly currently for a little longer. Like the Amish country where I live, but zero need to visit the city. Not an ideal city.

Tyler leaving is a direct indictment on Mooney. No way he leaves if Mooney was a better coach and knew how to utilize him properly. I sense he would have loved to remain a Spider, but Mooney failed him. That's it. Period.

And until we as fans and as a school realize we can perform so much better, we will be stuck where we are. There is zero reason we can't be an elite program. We just need a new coach. Not that big of a deal really.

But we must shed the victim hood mentality. We don't have to be less than other schools. We have great qualities. We need to be thankful for what we have and expect more. We should not be ok with Tyler leaving. There is no reason we can't be a destination for top players like him.

Tyler leaving is a direct indictment on Mooney. No way he leaves if Mooney was a better coach and knew how to utilize him properly. I sense he would have loved to remain a Spider, but Mooney failed him. That's it. Period.

And until we as fans and as a school realize we can perform so much better, we will be stuck where we are. There is zero reason we can't be an elite program. We just need a new coach. Not that big of a deal really.

But we must shed the victim hood mentality. We don't have to be less than other schools. We have great qualities. We need to be thankful for what we have and expect more. We should not be ok with Tyler leaving. There is no reason we can't be a destination for top players like him.
Wow. LOL. With 1500+ guys in the portal each of the last couple of years, there must be a lot of really bad coaches out there, right? 8 players have transferred from UVA the past 3 years. OMG!!!! Why aren't they firing Bennett for this????? So, you think we should not lose transfers??? As if we should be the ONLY school out of 350+ who doesn't lose a transfer?? LOL again to such a ridiculous post.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Tyler,
Wish you the best. You're a good man. I'm really sad we didn't have what you needed here. I hope it wakes us up when we lose someone like you cause this is a special place. It can be so much more, though.
Sad? I think we 100% had what Tyler needed. So does Tyler. He had few big time offers out of high school. Averaged 4 a game his 1st year, and tuned that into 12, 16, and 19 a game, won an A-10 title, won an NCAA dance game, was a well known, big time transfer when he announced he was entering the portal, and wound up at big time Villanova for his 5th year. I would say Tyler could not happier with his 4 years here, and how he grew as a person and a player. Don't take my word for it. Just ask him.

Reactions: spiderman

as soon as I read this I knew that the leader of the Mooneyites would be in here clutching pearls and WOW right on cue, there he was

Reactions: SpiderGuy

Every D1 coach under serious indictment this year. like 50% of players are transferring these days, including stars.

I feel like there is a lot to criticize about Mooney but player retention is not it.

Every D1 coach under serious indictment this year. like 50% of players are transferring these days, including stars.

I feel like there is a lot to criticize about Mooney but player retention is not it.

well when player retention was the only thing he seemed to excel at I think it's fair to mention when it is lost regardless of it being his "fault" or merely a sign of the times 🤷‍♂️

While I want to agree with you and do share most of what you say. On the other hand there is $$$$$$ that is a part of the equation.

well when player retention was the only thing he seemed to excel at I think it's fair to mention when it is lost regardless of it being his "fault" or merely a sign of the times 🤷‍♂️
I think the point is that it is being mentioned, but as a fault, rather than a sign of the times. Count me in the "sign of the times" camp and not the "fault" camp.

I don't blame Tyler. He will get questions like "How much NIL money did they pay you".
Comes with the territory, now that many of these guys have become professional athletes. Which is what you are if you accept money for use of your N, I or L.

Comes with the territory, now that many of these guys have become professional athletes. Which is what you are if you accept money for use of your N, I or L.
It took long enough, but better late than never

Richmond’s NIL development / money is where? To start maybe use it to keep your best player.

The landscape has changed from even 12-24 months ago. If Richmond is going to operate at the pace of a windless Regatta, it won’t keep up.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
JOC retweeted some study that said among the Group of 5 schools plus A10 and WCC schools, the top 3 basketball players on each team averaged $35k in NIL money apiece and bench players averaged $5k. I feel like we are most assuredly below those totals.

Reactions: nathanw19
JOC retweeted some study that said among the Group of 5 schools plus A10 and WCC schools, the top 3 basketball players on each team averaged $35k in NIL money apiece and bench players averaged $5k. I feel like we are most assuredly below those totals.
That's crazy.

Reactions: urfan1
I know with college soccer players before NIL, made money working Summer camps.
Since majority were not on full scholarships this was a good source of extra funds

It would be interesting to see median vs average on the same data…

It would be interesting to see median vs average on the same data…
Agreed. I am sure the data is easily skewed by an over aggressive collective like the one at Miami.

I also have a hard time thinking these types of payments are sustainable. Sure there will be “superstars” that might be able to earn big promotional dollars, but the rank and file - not so much. Seems like it has a better chance of causing more team hostility than anything else.

Reactions: Eight Legger
The data is not nearly broken down enough to make anything out of it. Our group is 7 conferences, so maybe 80-100 teams? So, top 3 for each is 250+ players? Who knows how many of the 250+ got more than average, less than average, or none at all? And, did a couple players get way above average? It could be like saying Michael Jordan, Will Purdue, and Bill Cartwright combined for 60 points. So, the average is 20 each, but, it doesn't really tell you anything. Maybe Jordan scored 55 of the 60?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT