ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler entering portal

Sad? I think we 100% had what Tyler needed. So does Tyler. He had few big time offers out of high school. Averaged 4 a game his 1st year, and tuned that into 12, 16, and 19 a game, won an A-10 title, won an NCAA dance game, was a well known, big time transfer when he announced he was entering the portal, and wound up at big time Villanova for his 5th year. I would say Tyler could not happier with his 4 years here, and how he grew as a person and a player. Don't take my word for it. Just ask him.
If we were what he needed (i.e. had a decent coach), he wouldn't have left.

Why we don't believe we can be an elite program is beyond me.

Every D1 coach under serious indictment this year. like 50% of players are transferring these days, including stars.

I feel like there is a lot to criticize about Mooney but player retention is not it.
Player retention was supposed to be his ONE highlight. That's all he had. Now he lost that. We can be so much better. Consistent Top 25 is a realistic goal with a good coach. Until we change our mentality, we will come up short. Come on guys, this supposed to be a fan board. Believe

While I want to agree with you and do share most of what you say. On the other hand there is $$$$$$ that is a part of the equation.
Which is why I blame Burton too. And definitely the F***ing ncaa for ruining college basketball.

Player retention was supposed to be his ONE highlight. That's all he had. Now he lost that. We can be so much better. Consistent Top 25 is a realistic goal with a good coach. Until we change our mentality, we will come up short. Come on guys, this supposed to be a fan board. Believe
How consistent do you mean? Has there ever been an A10 team consistently in the top 25? That doesn’t seem anywhere close to realistic to me. There are probably about 5 to 10 schools that are consistently in the top 25.

Reactions: VT4700 and urmite
How consistent do you mean? Has there ever been an A10 team consistently in the top 25? That doesn’t seem anywhere close to realistic to me. There are probably about 5 to 10 schools that are consistently in the top 25.
Yes, why are so many people in 1 of 2 camps? Either we can never do any better or we can easily be a Top 10 program in the nation.

Shouldn't there be something in between?

Yes, why are so many people in 1 of 2 camps? Either we can never do any better or we can easily be a Top 10 program in the nation.

agreed. of course we can have better results. but no, consistent top 25 is not a realistic goal. if that makes me a bad fan ... so be it. I'm not delusional.

Reactions: urfan1

I’m definitely in the in between camp. I know UR can be better and I also know it is not going to be a consistent Top 25 program. I believe UR can be in the top 4 in the A10 every year; however, it has to do more than just throw money at the program. It starts with real performance goals set by the AD, instead of platitudes.

I think you shoot high, but yes it has to start with Hardt, Queally (or better yet a replacement like Ukrops or someone else) and admin. It's crazy how VCU has these expectations driving their hoops program and we have woe is me driving ours. To answer the question, I think when X was in conference they were a pretty consistent top 25 team no? Mooney has traditionally been a very slow adaptor (transfer market pre portal), changing his defense as it was losing its teeth YOY, and from the comments about looking into the NIL situation, we will expect a few more years to try to find his place here. Heard a recent interview with Dutcher, and he is 60+ but very optimistic and forward thinking in this environment. Even the last few years when he was getting slammed for not winning a tourney game, his interviews exuded confidence in the program and future of the program. It is hard, but with our admin and leaders not exuding any confidence or expectation it definitely trickles down. I am going to try to find interview with Odom, guessing it is very high on expectations and excitement too. It matters. I understand the fans, I have very low expectations now too.

Temple and Xavier came the closest back "in the day" when they were A-10 members.

Reactions: SpiderK
Some notable A-10 teams who finished top 25:

X: 8 out of 18 seasons.
Temple: 7 out of 31.
Dayton: 2 out of 28.
St. Louis: 2 out of 18.
VCU: 2 out of 11.
Richmond: 1 out of 22.
St Bona: 0 out of 41.
Davidson: 0 out of 9.

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman
Xavier was pretty consistent in reaching the top 25 during the season while in the A10, after the A10, and even before they were in the A10. not sure what advantages they've had to have theit level of success. in the A10 they always seemed to have more talent.

we've talked to at least 60 transfers this offseason and filled 2 of 5 scholarships. we're having trouble attracting players. not sure what that is but it's something. some here will say it's the coach. it's not the facilities. I don't think we're a great destination for post-grad, but that probably isn't holding us back a ton. we're small with 3,000 undergrads. a lot of athletes don't want that. we haven't danced very often. that can't help. maybe we can't put together competitive NIL money. any other ideas, besides the usual "Mooney sucks" stuff?

Xavier was pretty consistent in reaching the top 25 during the season while in the A10, after the A10, and even before they were in the A10. not sure what advantages they've had to have theit level of success. in the A10 they always seemed to have more talent.

we've talked to at least 60 transfers this offseason and filled 2 of 5 scholarships. we're having trouble attracting players. not sure what that is but it's something. some here will say it's the coach. it's not the facilities. I don't think we're a great destination for post-grad, but that probably isn't holding us back a ton. we're small with 3,000 undergrads. a lot of athletes don't want that. we haven't danced very often. that can't help. maybe we can't put together competitive NIL money. any other ideas, besides the usual "Mooney sucks" stuff?
After we didn't accept Malcolm Bernard, he went to X, played 28 minutes a game, and they went to the Elite 8. That was the year we went 13-5 in the A-10 and 22-13 overall. Ouch!!!

• Angry
After we didn't accept Malcolm Bernard, he went to X, played 28 minutes a game, and they went to the Elite 8. That was the year we went 13-5 in the A-10 and 22-13 overall. Ouch!!!
yeah that was bad. we haven't had admissions hold us back recently that we know of ... but clearly X never had that problem.

My hope with NIL is that after a season or two - it will dry up a bit - by that I mean instead of guys just buying teams, it will move to the model of only elite players getting big $, (with anyone obviously able to get a Kihea Clark Good Feet Store deal), and a school like Richmond being able to compete by offering an attractive NIL stipend evenly to all players. Right now we have mid majors like New Mexico buying teams. A10 is basically the minor leagues.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
... a school like Richmond being able to compete by offering an attractive NIL stipend evenly to all players. Right now we have mid majors like New Mexico buying teams. A10 is basically the minor leagues.
I personally don't think NIL should be split evenly. the whole point is for each individual to be able to capitalize on their own marketing or on their perceived abilities. just like not every employee should receive the same compensation in any corporation.

as for minor league ... there are A10 schools paying some kids more than that chart yesterday suggests. no idea what UR is getting our kids though.

I’m no fan of NIL, but right now it’s a major factor in player decisions. Tyler gave us his all and graduated. If he was able to grab way more NIL at Villanova then what we may have offered, then more power to him.
Yep, and him blaming Tyler for anything tells you all need to know.

I personally don't think NIL should be split evenly. the whole point is for each individual to be able to capitalize on their own marketing or on their perceived abilities. just like not every employee should receive the same compensation in any corporation.
Agree - go get what you can from individual sponsors, but the SDSU model - which I would say worked pretty good this year - is to pay the NIL stipend evenly - thus you don't have a super team with poor chemistry. But, SDSU players I saw doing t shirt deals etc. too. I just like that model better for team building. I know they have got burned this offseason too by teams outbidding them. And losing a starter off their runner up team.

as for minor league ... there are A10 schools paying some kids more than that chart yesterday suggests. no idea what UR is getting our kids though.
What if there was a fixed and variable portion? All employees shouldn’t get the same, but should any employee get nothing?

What if there was a fixed and variable portion? All employees shouldn’t get the same, but should any employee get nothing?
no employee works for nothing. but even without the NIL, scholarshipped athletes are getting a ton already. the NIL is just on top ... which is fine. and there shouldn't be a limit.

If I was that level of player, I would help Richmond get to the next level. I wouldn't leave for another school for money.
I believe Tyler tried his hardest last season and probably rightfully thinking wouldn’t get over the hump this year. He could have easily jumped ship last season thinking of only himself.

Went to the best school resembling the likes of Richmond. Just think of it in MLB baseball terms. Richmond is the AAA club while Nova is the big league one.

a starter leaving a championship finalist is borderline crazy. maybe more to the story? just NIL opportunity?
Came from a disadvantaged background in Oakland. Brother was hit by a bullet in a drive by and paralyzed in a wheelchair. So it does seem like mostly a chance to help his family get in a better situation. Also I think looking to improve NBA stock, but he was a starter all season. Transferred to Arizona.

Lamont Butler is back at SDSU according to his dad had offers in hundreds of thousands, including one 1 million dollar offer. I would find that hard to turn down, he was awesome, but far from an NBA lock.

If I was that level of player, I would help Richmond get to the next level. I wouldn't leave for another school for money.
that's noble of you. everyone makes their own choices.

to me he was a great Spider. he stayed 4 years and got his degree. he played all 40 and put up 18 and 11 in a huge tournament win. now has the opportunity to play on a bigger stage. Nova's a better program in a better conference. it gives him the best chance at his dream of playing in the NBA. if I'm him, I have to take that shot. the safe move is staying at UR where he's comfortable. sometimes you have to be uncomfortable.

It is not on Tyler to fix us. And as others have said, he tried last year and we all saw the results. What did you expect him to do, come back to Richmond and play another season of ball where we don't get close to an NCAA.

Mooney and company could have gone out and got some really great pieces to surround Tyler and maybe that would have convinced him to stay. They didn't do that though and any chance we had of Tyler coming back probably died with those lack of results.

I suspect Tyler left for many reasons, including $$$, learning from a different coach, higher profile, to play meaningful ball in March. Also in those reasons was probably a sober look at our roster and saying yeah no thanks on that.

lie-detector-maury.gif

How about if you were a low D1 coach making about $100,000 and got offered about $750,000 a year elsewhere? Would you stay at your school and "help them get to the next level"? Should coaches never move up? What about G league guys? Should they stay with their teammates in the G league and not take more money in the NBA? Or, players from a much lesser conference than the A-10? Those teams, like us and most other teams, are also "trying to get to the next level". Should they all always just stay at their schools regardless?

It is not on Tyler to fix us. And as others have said, he tried last year and we all saw the results. What did you expect him to do, come back to Richmond and play another season of ball where we don't get close to an NCAA.

Mooney and company could have gone out and got some really great pieces to surround Tyler and maybe that would have convinced him to stay. They didn't do that though and any chance we had of Tyler coming back probably died with those lack of results.

I suspect Tyler left for many reasons, including $$$, learning from a different coach, higher profile, to play meaningful ball in March. Also in those reasons was probably a sober look at our roster and saying yeah no thanks on that.
I agree. Tyler did what he could for us this past year and it was a disaster. He had no doubt it would be much worse this year, so he bailed. How can you blame him? Blame the mediocre coach we are burdened with.

I'm sorry, but Mooney appears totally clueless in this JOC interview...was taken by surprise that Tyler elected to transfer, says we have an NIL but doesn't know why it hasn't been made public, etc.

Some of his brief, unhelpful responses I could chalk up to being text messages or something, but other responses are a paragraph long.

I'm sorry, but Mooney appears totally clueless in this JOC interview...was taken by surprise that Tyler elected to transfer, says we have an NIL but doesn't know why it hasn't been made public, etc.

Some of his brief, unhelpful responses I could chalk up to being text messages or something, but other responses are a paragraph long.

CM seems to come off somewhat annoyed with the questions. But he seemed to be upfront with his answers.

Reactions: regatw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT