ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler entering portal

Any insight, dad? Pulling out of the draft? Any chance of remaining at UR?

Seems very unlikely he'll be a Spider next year.

Yeah, not sure how much I can blame him for this. The guy gave us all he could for 4 years, and can't blame him for wanting to play in a high-major conference and get some real NIL $. Really interested to see where he ends up. With his family connections, I'd be really surprised if Kim English at Providence isn't on the phone with him now.

One thing is for sure though...we can't say we feel comfortable about keeping anyone out of the portal anymore. This is a total open season, and guys just have too many avenues to leave school.

Minor League Basketball is all the A10 is now. Say good bye to the days of ever having high expectations heading into a season. (Not that were guilty of that mistake this year) Just got to hope some of the transfers and underclassmen develop, I suppose. I don't blame Burton because I have no doubt this would of happened to any of our greats when they were underclassmen had the rule been in place.

I suppose its great for the players, but as a fan, finding myself caring less and less about this sport because I do not care to reacquaint myself with the roster each season. Add in that besides 2020 season and 2 weeks in march 2022 it hasn't exactly been great to be a spider fan especially if you live here and see it for yourself while in VDU's back yard. Schools ask you for more and more money each year and it will continue as they have to pay these players whose entire college experience is already subsidized by taxpayers and student activity fees already in a sport that by and large, most schools lose money on, especially football.

This isn't why I became a fan of college sports. Hard to build excitement when your entire roster turns over each season, or any diamond in the rough you find is going to get paid once they show any hint of being a top level performer.

Last edited:
Zagoria reporting that TB is still focused on pro route. Still, curious that he'd enter the portal with 6 days left before his deadline.

wonder who he's got eyes for then
I’m betting on Georgetown and Providence. Gong to see what amount if NIL is available and weigh that against playing in G league or overseas. It will be interesting to see what happens. Still think that whatever NIL deal he gets could be matched by UR and I don’t expect it to be big money. However definitely will be a good amount for a recent college grad.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Time to cash in.

The P5/Big East raids on the mid- and low-majors continues.
I'm with Ferrum. Between rainy, cold weather, late starting times, a whole new roster, etc., I did not attend one local basketball game for the first time in my 39 years in my current hometown.

Nor did I attend a volleyball, soccer, WBB game or gymnastics or wrestling match. Used to go regularly. The emphasis on money, money, money is making it much easier not to be a fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: whampas and urfan1
Mooney chose not to comment, and Tyler couldn't be reached via text.

U need to have a comment when your best player enters portal. U need to comment when a player transfers to crosstown rival in unprecedented move. We do some things at high level then other times it’s a mom n pop operation imo.

Frustrating offseason.

So I would guess he is in as a do not contact for a few possible reasons. One is so he can talk to people to see what he is worth in NIL without getting 200 schools calling. Two is because UR has someone ready to commit but wont until they know TB is leaving (we all hope its this) and he is doing Moon a solid by letting it be known he wont be back. Three (and my money is here) is that he already knows where he is going (even though there shouldn't have been any contact) and now he can make that all legit by contacting that team a few days before he announces he is headed there.

Best of luck and many thanks to Tyler.

College basketball is in a very bad place right now. Bad for fans, bad for coaches, bad for all but maybe 40 schools. Bad even for players - - - unless you are a good player that is. Good players are gonna get paid and its bad for everyone else in my view! Nothing against Tyler - - he is just playing the game the way its set up now.

Buddy of mine who is a UK fan says Tyler is in the UK mix.
Perhaps, but fans of every program to seem think they have a chance to be in the mix. Providence, Georgetown, Villanova, Miami, UConn, and even BC people all think they should have a chance. I even saw a UMass suggestion and almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Last edited:
Minor League Basketball is all the A10 is now. Say good bye to the days of ever having high expectations heading into a season. (Not that were guilty of that mistake this year) Just got to hope some of the transfers and underclassmen develop, I suppose. I don't blame Burton because I have no doubt this would of happened to any of our greats when they were underclassmen had the rule been in place.

I suppose its great for the players, but as a fan, finding myself caring less and less about this sport because I do not care to reacquaint myself with the roster each season. Add in that besides 2020 season and 2 weeks in march 2022 it hasn't exactly been great to be a spider fan especially if you live here and see it for yourself while in VDU's back yard. Schools ask you for more and more money each year and it will continue as they have to pay these players whose entire college experience is already subsidized by taxpayers and student activity fees already in a sport that by and large, most schools lose money on, especially football.

This isn't why I became a fan of college sports. Hard to build excitement when your entire roster turns over each season, or any diamond in the rough you find is going to get paid once they show any hint of being a top level performer.

I agree completely, Ferrum. Our level of college athletics is now a "minor leagues" / glorified D3 where players get 'called up' each year.

I don't like it at all. As a sports fan, makes it easier to just lean into professional sports. In pro sports, you can, at least, develop a bit of a connection with players under 4-5 year contract on your favorite team.

Man, it really sucked reading this news. I was a bit upset and hurt at first. But Tyler has given everything he has to the Spiders. He scored 18 points in our first tournament game in a decade.

Hang his jersey in the rafters and wish him luck on the next step of his career. I can’t wait to cheer him on.

Three (and my money is here) is that he already knows where he is going (even though there shouldn't have been any contact) and now he can make that all legit by contacting that team a few days before he announces he is headed there.
This would be my guess too. Or he's at least narrowed down his choices to a few teams and this is his way of having some control over how things go forward from here.

I was hopeful he'd return, but hard to fault the guy for going this route. He gave us 4 years of his best and graduated a Spider. And as long as he doesn't go to VCU he'll always remain one of my favorite players.

I can't really believe anyone here is surprised. I don't think he quite has what it takes (at this very moment) to make it to the NBA and he's done all he can at Richmond with his development. He needs to go up a level or head to the G League/overseas to continue to have an upward trajectory.

Three (and my money is here) is that he already knows where he is going (even though there shouldn't have been any contact) and now he can make that all legit by contacting that team a few days before he announces he is headed there.
that's my bet. deal is already in place. makes no sense to me to put your name in the portal and not field offers otherwise.

U need to have a comment when your best player enters portal. U need to comment when a player transfers to crosstown rival in unprecedented move. We do some things at high level then other times it’s a mom n pop operation imo.

Frustrating offseason.
+1000. We literally have zero idea on how to promote our program via the media. Yes, of course, Mooney needs to comment here, he needed to comment when Jaynel left. People wonder why we fly under the radar well half it is self inflicted because we have this bunker mentality when dealing with the media. Everything, good or bad, should be seen as an opportunity to keep the program in peoples' minds. We act like we are some D-3 program that no one cares about and then wonder why we sometimes get treated as such.

Last edited:
As I said in the other thread, which of course UR80fan disputed with Mooney being his best option, this would have been what I recommended Tyler to do if I was advising him.

Tyler can now go get some really nice NIL money, play for a big time program, play meaningful games in March, get connected with a much wider network than the Mooney one. This quite honestly was a no brainer for Tyler.

And I wish him the best. He gave us 4 really good years, we honestly couldn't have asked for anything more from him. Hopefully, he doesn't go to a team I hate, because I would like to be able to root for him and that team this year.

+1000. We literally have zero idea on how to promote our program via the media. Yes, of course, Mooney needs to comment here, he needed to comment when Jaynel left. People wonder why we fly under the radar well have it is self inflicted because we have this bunker mentality when dealing with the media. Everything, good or bad, should be seen as an opportunity to keep the program in people's mind. We act like we are some D-3 program that no one cares about and then wonder why we sometimes get treated as such.
He does it because he knows he can. No one is going to call him out on it except people on this board. JOC is the only guy who covers UR regularly in this market, and he'll take what he can get from them when they want to dish it out. It's a sad state of affairs.

The rest of the A10 catching up to how UR has been operating for years. We haven’t cared for years about winning.

Reactions: SpiderK
I still can’t quite figure out how much of this type of transferring is permanent and how much is just because of the bonus year of eligibility granted by the NCAA. Tyler already graduated so kudos to him and can’t argue we haven’t gotten an adequate amount of time with him. He’s got a lot of good landing spots.

If we were a perennial NCAA team maybe he wouldn’t even have wanted to look but I can’t fault anyone for deciding they want more of a piece of March Madness beyond the opening weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT