ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler entering portal

Does Mooney sound like he is excited to be answering those questions? One word answers to several questions. Geez, it's not like Mooney has 50 different media outlets beating down his door everyday and he is too busy to answer them all. Why is he responding to JOC via e-mail? They can't pick up the phone, have a zoom call or heaven forbid invite JOC over to the RC. Tell him what our plans are to fill the 3 remaining slots vs just saying yes we are still recruiting. I mean, no effing shit, you are still recruiting, you had better be.

This was the one status update on our program by our local for the past few months and that is how he chose to respond to it. I don't think it was a great response and frankly I think you have to wear some damn rosy glasses to say, yeah, that is how we want our coach responding to the media.

Did you feel excited about that status update from the head coach after that interview, I sure didn't. I felt demoralized. We lost our best player seeming by surprise, we are behind on the NIL, we think the NIL is going to hurt us recruiting wise, but yet our head coach doesn't much about our NIL because that is not in his bailiwick of duties.
Good take 97. I felt the same. There is zero buzz for this program from the head coach or the press.

Yep except they called it slush fund.
I do find is fascinating that what Will Wade did not 5 years ago was investigated and people were charged by the FBI. But now with NIL, not only is all that legal, but it encouraged and accepted by everyone. We basically legalized bribery for a very few of the most successful college athletes and a lot of people see this as some great step forward for college athletics. We let rich people buy college athletes, essentially.

Literally no one thought more than 1 step forward on this policy and its long term implications and it will be fascinating (in a depressing kind of way) to see how this changes college sports. I envision that this is not gonna to be the great panacea that this would made out to be by its promoters.

I don't like teams poaching players from teams. probably can't be stopped though.

but I'm absolutely fine with kids getting money if someone is willing to pay them. that's how scholarships started. schools decided it was worth the cost of a scholarship to bring in a special talent.

NIL is market driven and there's a market. these schools make a tremendous amount of money on college football and basketball on the backs of these kids. most will never make big money playing professionally.

Looks like 4 of his top 25 teams project 4 starting guards, and 14 of them project 3 starting guards. Only 2 of his top 16 have as few as 2 guards starting. It's a guards game.

Florida Atlantic is #5 in the country? :oops:
I know, its disrespect. You return starting five off a final four team and you would think you would be at least 4th :):):). They may have lost one guy. BUT it is impossible to do at Richmond. We know. St. Mary's again is a top 25ish team. But again, it is impossible. You have to get a really really good coach.

“Strong ass offers” are a required part of recruiting now.

People have thought through the implications, but the negatives don’t change the fact that the pre-NIL status quo was found illegal in some states. Maybe if the NCAA had taken steps over time towards accommodating student athletes we wouldn’t be in this Wild West situation. Instead, immediate changes had to be made when California found what the NCAA was doing to be illegal. The NCAA had decades to figure something out and just didn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderK
I don't normally like to be a fence sitter, but that's exactly where I find myself on this issue.

I'm all for a player's ability to make money any way they legally can, just like any other student at a university would be able to do.

But at the same time I see the sport I have always loved most quickly morphing into something that I don't really recognize, and it's only been a short time since the rules changed.

I'm really not sure what I think the solution should be.

NIL is market driven and there's a market. these schools make a tremendous amount of money on college football and basketball on the backs of these kids. most will never make big money playing professionally.
First, the schools are not paying the players big money. The majority of the revenue that the University gets from ticket sales, tv deals, etc is not making it to the players. That is why I am wondering about “the market”. The market is from the collectives, a group of donors outside the respective University. You have super fans that are dumping money into a pool in hopes that their team can land the best players.

Second, these “best players” generally ARE the ones that have a shot at playing at the NBA level. I can’t imagine donors are looking to support a future accountant who has a sweet jump-shot.

To me, the model doesn’t work like people are saying it does. There are no reporting requirements for these collectives so all this “money” that is suddenly available is pure speculation. I know there are athletes that are making big money by marketing themselves and most of them are FEMALE athletes. What many of the respectable collectives are actually doing is teaching the players how to market themselves and what to do with the money they earn. Yes there is some buying of players like the dude at Miami, but again that is for the best prospect, not an average Joe.

Native, I've heard of a kid with no shot of ever playing professionally making more in NIL than a normal kid would make coming out of school and getting a job. and it's a guy ... not a girl with a million tik tok followers. it's not just the top future NBA kids. it's everyone now.

schools organize the collective. I assume the coach gets a total budget and decides how much to offer a particular kid. we always had to find underrecruited players. not we have to find under-NIL-ed players.

problem is with the no-sit transfer rules, retention is going to be nearly impossible if you're underfunded.

Native, I've heard of a kid with no shot of ever playing professionally making more in NIL than a normal kid would make coming out of school and getting a job. and it's a guy ... not a girl with a million tik tok followers. it's not just the top future NBA kids. it's everyone now.

schools organize the collective. I assume the coach gets a total budget and decides how much to offer a particular kid. we always had to find underrecruited players. not we have to find under-NIL-ed players.

problem is with the no-sit transfer rules, retention is going to be nearly impossible if you're underfunded.
The no sit rule is definitely the real problem with college sports. It is what makes everything unstable. Players aren’t committing to the school and getting an education and instead are jumping around looking for greener pastures that in most cases do not exist.

The no shot at NBA kid with big NIL seems to be an example of “getting it on your own” versus getting it from the University and/or the Collective to me. That is the true point of NIL, a student can profit off of his/her name, image, or likeness that used to be against the rules IF you were an athlete. I don’t have a problem with that part, earn what you can earn. So it isn’t about a University giving a player a big money on the side. It supposedly is about the player leveraging his/her notoriety. Thus, we are back to an advantage that the P5 schools have over the rest which is that the schools are much bigger and have many more eyeballs which is what all marketers want. To me the competition is how big is the platform that your school has to amplify my “content” whatever that may be.

All in all, terrible news from my perspective because all I want to see is quality basketball with kids having fun playing. All the rest of it is a distraction.

I do find is fascinating that what Will Wade did not 5 years ago was investigated and people were charged by the FBI. But now with NIL, not only is all that legal, but it encouraged and accepted by everyone. We basically legalized bribery for a very few of the most successful college athletes and a lot of people see this as some great step forward for college athletics. We let rich people buy college athletes, essentially.

Literally no one thought more than 1 step forward on this policy and its long term implications and it will be fascinating (in a depressing kind of way) to see how this changes college sports. I envision that this is not gonna to be the great panacea that this would made out to be by its promoters.
Legalizing all what the sports boosters have been doing for years. It is a freaking shame. Have same guidelines for each school such as Summer jobs or internships based on major interest and to not exceed a certain amount. All monies must be accounted for and reported to IRS. Earned amounts must be reported to the conference and NCAA.

Native, the no shot at NBA kid didn't get it on his own. he hit the portal, got a lot of interest, and took the best offer for him ... a combination of what he wanted in a school, opportunity for playing time, he visited and met the team, and the NIL money offered.

It’s a whole new world out there with portal and NIL. Somehow we need to adapt. Otherwise we’ll be left behind in the dust. Great facilities, high paid coach, and private jets are now only part of the equation. Portal and NIL are big factors that now are part of the big picture. Play the big picture or get played.

Native, the no shot at NBA kid didn't get it on his own. he hit the portal, got a lot of interest, and took the best offer for him ... a combination of what he wanted in a school, opportunity for playing time, he visited and met the team, and the NIL money offered.
Good for him. I simply don’t think it is sustainable. I also think everything is exaggerated. We will see.

A bigger threat is the fact that the students generally don’t care about the sports teams, so they sure as heck aren’t going to be paying into collectives for sports as alumni. I am sure there will be less D1 college teams in a couple decades. There is also a looming demographics issue that there won’t be enough students for all the schools to operate. I am sure that will be fun.

Many of us may find it fair that college athletes get paid more than they were with NIL money, but any way you cut it, it’s a disaster for college sports.

Reactions: whampas
Good for him. I simply don’t think it is sustainable. I also think everything is exaggerated. We will see.

A bigger threat is the fact that the students generally don’t care about the sports teams, so they sure as heck aren’t going to be paying into collectives for sports as alumni. I am sure there will be less D1 college teams in a couple decades. There is also a looming demographics issue that there won’t be enough students for all the schools to operate. I am sure that will be fun.
Are you saying there won’t be enough male students to fill both men’s and women’s teams in the near future? 😊

Reactions: whampas
is that true?
Yep, people held off on having kids during the Great Recession, and it never fully recovered. Schools like UR with low acceptance rates won't have any issues filling spots, but ones on the lower rungs of the ladder will be in trouble. COVID already gave many of the less well off schools budgetary shocks, and this will be a double whammy. Some are already closing or merging, particularly in the northeast where there are zillions of small colleges running on thin margins.

so birth rates in the US dropped to 3.7M last year. and it was higher in 2007 at 4.3M.
but those 2007 kids haven't even gotten to college yet.
last year's birth rate was about the same as the late 1990's. did we have a shortage of college kids in 2015?

Yep, people held off on having kids during the Great Recession, and it never fully recovered. Schools like UR with low acceptance rates won't have any issues filling spots, but ones on the lower rungs of the ladder will be in trouble. COVID already gave many of the less well off schools budgetary shocks, and this will be a double whammy. Some are already closing or merging, particularly in the northeast where there are zillions of small colleges running on thin margins.

Medaille College up your way SF is example

so birth rates in the US dropped to 3.7M last year. and it was higher in 2007 at 4.3M.
but those 2007 kids haven't even gotten to college yet.
last year's birth rate was about the same as the late 1990's. did we have a shortage of college kids in 2015?
I wonder if most large institutions will have the same total enrollment in 2027 that they had in 2015? Especially if they historically accept 85% or more of applicants.

I also wonder how the rampant cheating in middle and high schools over the past 3 years will affect admission standards. If schools reinstate the SAT and ACT scores for admission, it’s going to be a disaster. Kids with 4.0-5.3 GPA’s getting 1050 on their SAT scores. Not too hard to spot the cheaters during the Covid shutdown. A little off topic, but will certainly effect NCAA sports admissions also.

I wonder if most large institutions will have the same total enrollment in 2027 that they had in 2015? Especially if they historically accept 85% or more of applicants.
Great question, especially with competition from online degrees and surging tuition and living expenses at traditional universities.

Reactions: urfan1
I also wonder how the rampant cheating in middle and high schools over the past 3 years will affect admission standards. If schools reinstate the SAT and ACT scores for admission, it’s going to be a disaster. Kids with 4.0-5.3 GPA’s getting 1050 on their SAT scores. Not too hard to spot the cheaters during the Covid shutdown. A little off topic, but will certainly effect NCAA sports admissions also.
was it cheating? what I heard was pretty much everyone just got A's if they did the work. everyone felt kids had gone though enough. I assume it's back to normal grading now.

was it cheating? what I heard was pretty much everyone just got A's if they did the work. everyone felt kids had gone though enough. I assume it's back to normal grading now.
Yes, it is back to normal now and many kids are having real challenges with the readjustment back to normal. Of topic, I know, but it wasn't cheating it was just schools handing out A's to everyone during the pandemic.

Reactions: spiderman
My youngest daughter basically went from junior high school year to first year in college because her senior year at home was a joke.

I don't normally like to be a fence sitter, but that's exactly where I find myself on this issue.

I'm all for a player's ability to make money any way they legally can, just like any other student at a university would be able to do.

But at the same time I see the sport I have always loved most quickly morphing into something that I don't really recognize, and it's only been a short time since the rules changed.

I'm really not sure what I think the solution should be.
I don't think NIL is the issue here, its more the transfer portal.

I have no problem of athletes making money, like every other student on campus has the opportunity to do so - but giving them the ability to transfer whenever they want - when combined with NIL, turns into a free agency market.

The transfer portal is the real issue. My solution would be.

1) Keep the grad transfer. I know it gets abused, but if a kid graduates on time and has a year left of eligibility - I have no problem with them leaving for another school.
2) Coach leaves - if the coach that was there when you started leaves, you should be able to leave - free of penalty to another school. Like it not - kids pick the coach, not the school. So when the coach leaves - they should have the same freedom.
3) Multi-year scholarships - these will act as contracts. When you sign a kid as a frosh, you offer them a 1 year, 2 year, 3 year, or 4 year deal. And this way the school is making the committment and the kid is making it. I would expect most would be about 2 year deals, maybe 3. But they are guaranteed on both ends - except for ethical/criminal behaviour (i.e. kid commits a crime - the school can release him). There would be many fine details to iron out - but this would lock kids in to schools for probably 2-3 years and not stop the transfer portal, but just limit it to an extent.

I agree with 1 & 2.
don't like 3 at all. for whatever reason, sometimes it's not a good fit. a player should be able to transfer ... just like any student can. it's a partnership between a coach and a player. the coach can't "own" a kid for 3 years.

the transfer portal is the new reality, like it or not.

Reactions: regatw and Zeeter
btw ... there will be a ton less grad transferring after next year. the extra Covid year will finally be over. there aren't many kids redshirting any more, so we won't see many kids graduating with remaining eligibility. at least that'll be back to normal.
Yes - that should get back to normal, and with the current portal there is no incentive to graduate in 3 years, just so you can transfer that last year. You can do that now with the portal and without graduating early.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT