ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler entering portal

Tyler Burton vs Memphis. 7 points, 4 Reb, 1 Steal, 2 assist, 1 Block, 0 Turnovers in the first 10 minutes!! Monster Block and Dunk!

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Nova has absolutely dominated Philly's Big 5 for the past 2 decades. Until this week. In the Big 5 tourney, they lost to a well coached St. Joe's team by 13. Today, they essentially became the last place finisher in the tourney after losing to Drexel of the CAA. Drexel finally got into the Big 5 (6th team) for the first time in their history this year.

Burton had 5 pts, 4 boards, and 2 assists v. SJU.

Burton had 3 pts on 1 of 8 shooting today against Drexel.

In fairness those game are below his season average of 9.4 ppg and we know he is a good player. But how much NIL $ did he get?

Nova has a lot of NIL money but the coaching is not up to par. Maybe the players are not anymore and they are using NIL to fill the gaps in recruiting post Jay Wright.

Nova has absolutely dominated Philly's Big 5 for the past 2 decades. Until this week. In the Big 5 tourney, they lost to a well coached St. Joe's team by 13. Today, they essentially became the last place finisher in the tourney after losing to Drexel of the CAA. Drexel finally got into the Big 5 (6th team) for the first time in their history this year.

Burton had 5 pts, 4 boards, and 2 assists v. SJU.

Burton had 3 pts on 1 of 8 shooting today against Drexel.

In fairness those game are below his season average of 9.4 ppg and we know he is a good player. But how much NIL $ did he get?

Nova has a lot of NIL money but the coaching is not up to par. Maybe the players are not anymore and they are using NIL to fill the gaps in recruiting post Jay Wright.
Maybe they should have thought of getting a point guard / their games are painful to watch except for the Carolina win

Reactions: urfan1
Exactly, if he really got 500k, this was a great decision. If PQ was willing to match, he could have really been the piece to have us competing against the top teams.
With NQ playing at a much higher level and with the addition of King, we could have been something pretty special with Burton.

it's possible - even probable - that Quinn doesn't get the number of shots if Burton is on the team. King prob still does. But Tyler moving on was sort of the last link to the last cycle of regular rotation players, pre-portal. The guys this year all have the chance to lead on their own terms and feel like its their team.

Interestingly, prior to the Drexel game, Burton was shooting over 40% from 3, would have thought his numbers would be better, but I'm not following things closely there.

it's possible - even probable - that Quinn doesn't get the number of shots if Burton is on the team. King prob still does. But Tyler moving on was sort of the last link to the last cycle of regular rotation players, pre-portal. The guys this year all have the chance to lead on their own terms and feel like its their team.

Interestingly, prior to the Drexel game, Burton was shooting over 40% from 3, would have thought his numbers would be better, but I'm not following things closely there.
My concern if Tyler would have remained with is whether Mooney would have built his team around Tyler as he did last year. That would not have resulted neccesarily in us being better. I think Tyler moving on was a win-win for both of us.

My concern if Tyler would have remained with is whether Mooney would have built his team around Tyler as he did last year. That would not have resulted neccesarily in us being better. I think Tyler moving on was a win-win for both of us.
yeah - feel a bit bad honestly however for Tyler since he's their 4th or 5th scoring options most possessions - he is best driving in the lane and getting fouled versus mainly shooting 3s - I didn't watch the last 2 games but he's their best rebounder however it appears

yeah - feel a bit bad honestly however for Tyler since he's their 4th or 5th scoring options most possessions - he is best driving in the lane and getting fouled versus mainly shooting 3s - I didn't watch the last 2 games but he's their best rebounder however it appears
Probably be where he grades out at high D-1 play. Had he remained here, he would have been our 3rd scoring option behind King and probably Quinn. My fear is that Mooney would have tried to pigeon hole in as our number 1 scoring option and that would have been a disaster.

I loved watching Tyler play, but he is not a great shooter (it is streaky and his form isn't great), he doesn't have much of a mid range game, his greatest offensive strength is using his athletic ability to drive hard to hole to score or get fouled. He is a fantastic rebounder which is probably his best basketball attribute.

I think him being on a team like Nova where he is a 4th or 5th scoring option fits him really well.

Pretty funny stuff from Cronin. He's on board with PQ and Hardt about Richmond's potential I think. He comes off as a douche here, but he is actually a really good coach. He's taken teams to the NCAA's 14 times out of 20 seasons, including two of out 3 years at Murray State.

Pretty funny stuff from Cronin. He's on board with PQ and Hardt about Richmond's potential I think. He comes off as a douche here, but he is actually a really good coach. He's taken teams to the NCAA's 14 times out of 20 seasons, including two of out 3 years at Murray State.
Happy to see TB have a big game versus storied teams.

Cronin - wow 14 NCAA’’s in 20 seasons. Compare that to CM 3 in 18.

Last edited:
I don’t care if he has 100 nattys…you don’t have to be a crappy human. I hope parents and recruits see what a sore loser he is.

I've never liked Cronin. Let's start there.

But tbf we don't hear the question or what he said b4 or after the clip. I get it but also a common media click tactic.

my guess is not nearly that bad. I don't care enough to find & watch but he's probably saying Burton & other nova guy r doing it more on toughness and heart & wish his guys showed same.

Around the 2 minute mark below. While he is in theory couching the comment as a his own player needs to be better at rebounding, he 100% is denigrating the Nova players and Richmond as a program. There is no disputing that. Even his choked back comment about mid majors, and the look he gives after talking about Richmond suggests he thinks our program is nothing.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Around the 2 minute mark below. While he is in theory couching the comment as a his own player needs to be better at rebounding, he 100% is denigrating the Nova players and Richmond as a program. There is no disputing that. Even his choked back comment about mid majors, and the look he gives after talking about Richmond suggests he thinks our program is nothing.

He knows Mooney has been the UR coach for the past 20 years.

Sooo…there’s more context and not as bad as the 13 second version, correct?

It’s not tactfully done I agree but he’s saying his guy is better athlete & has to produce similarly to the players who r doing it with less. And that he has to coach him up better. ucla does getter better athletes than us without dispute.

And big hat no cattle John Hardt is a bad AD. But I’m not sure what u want him to do here. Release a statement about a coach talking about a player who chose to transfer away from UR to play & test himself on bigger stage w better athletes? That’s a little weird imo & almost validating Burton’s move.

I just don’t have the same outrage here. I think we have respect at large but we haven’t earned the level we should be at so let’s do something about it.

The use of specific players and former teams was unnecessary, but Cronin is not known as as a person who tries to be diplomatic. Personally I don’t have any issue with him saying Richmond is not known for rebounding strength. Isn’t that what the majority of the Forum would like to see from the Spiders, more “tough” play?

A number of media outlets spun the story the way Cronin should have said it, which was a focus on the disparity in experience levels of the 2 teams. UCLA is one of the youngest teams and Villanova is one of the oldest. Experience can win over raw talent.

The person who was degraded the most was Eric Dixon. Hopefully he can use it for extra motivation.

I do agree that Cronin should be called out for being a poor sport and I do hope his team continues to be out-rebounded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT