ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler entering portal

Cronin was frustrated after a loss. I get it. and he's trying to motivate his big man Bona to rebound more, telling him he got outworked buy an unathletic guy (Dixon) and a guy who wasn't good enough for high major offers (Burton).

use whatever you can to motivate. but both guys he mentioned would be the best rebounder on his team. Burton averaged 7.5 rpg at Richmond his last 3 years. he's averaging over 7 rpg at Nova. and he'd average over 7 rpg if he was at UCLA. Dixon is getting 7 rpg too.

Mooney teams not rebounding falls on Mooney ... but more on his recruiting philosophy than on his rebounding philosophy that everyone here blames. Burton rebounded every year here. he's that kind of athletic, tough, quick-twitch player. recruit more of that kind of player and we'll rebound.

I think (hope) we have two like that coming in with Robinson and McGlothin.

I get what he is trying to do but be a bigger person than to personally denigrate two opposing players, who just beat him on the court. I think I would want a little bit more tact from a guy I'm paying multi-million dollars to the coach and public face of my basketball team.

Wonder how Mick liked these apples:

just listened. said team got out hustled, out scrapped.
said NCAA doesn't have rules any more ... Northridge is one of the teams that just got a kid eligible due to that legal ruling. good player.
said they tried to get better transfers but NIL was an issue ... compared UCLA to the Reds who also want better players but the Dodgers get them, lol. poor UCLA.

said game plan stressed keeping CSUN out of the paint yet they gave up 17 layups ... so players didn't do what we asked but that's on us coaches for not getting them to do it.

Reactions: urfan1
Not going great in LA hoops at the moment. USC struggling too, just got Bronny James back - but have a bunch of guys that look like they should be good basketball players yet can't put the ball in the basket. I think they could right the ship if/when Bronny can play 30 minutes a game, along with Collier and Boogie Ellis.
UCLA - wondering if they did not get the international players in? They had some really highly rated international bigs coming in - but I believer there is some limitation on NIL for them for non US born players?

Yes, international players have visa difficulties with NIL...unauthorized employment is a no-no on a student visa.

It's not entirely clear what is and isn't permissible based on what they do in return for their NIL payments and whether it takes place on or off campus, but the potential visa-related penalties are obviously significant if they end up on the wrong side of things. Passive NIL where they don't have to do anything seems to be okay, or if they only engage in NIL-related activities while in their home countries, etc. but the workarounds do limit them.

There are also some state-by-state NIL laws that come into play with them.

Reactions: urfan1
Yes, international players have visa difficulties with NIL...unauthorized employment is a no-no on a student visa.

It's not entirely clear what is and isn't permissible based on what they do in return for their NIL payments and whether it takes place on or off campus, but the potential visa-related penalties are obviously significant if they end up on the wrong side of things. Passive NIL where they don't have to do anything seems to be okay, or if they only engage in NIL-related activities while in their home countries, etc. but the workarounds do limit them.

There are also some state-by-state NIL laws that come into play with them.
I mean it's almost like they haven't thought this whole NIL thing through before they implemented it.

Nova won in overtime at Creighton last night, Burton had a ton of rebounds but missed the front end of two straight 1-and-1s that could have locked the game for Nova in the final 20 seconds.

Makes me sad to see TB not starting the 2nd half of what could easily be his final college game. Glad he got paid but not the right coach and scheme for him this year ..
The team, coach and players at Villanova lost confidence in young Tyler. There is no way a college kid is worth 500,000. He has a lot to learn.

Neptune appears not to be the answer for Nova. He probably gets one more year and then is shown the door unless they make the tournament and win a game or two.
Upon skimming this, it appears we have started discussing astronomical events.

Are we in any danger when Neptune goes supernova?

The team, coach and players at Villanova lost confidence in young Tyler. There is no way a college kid is worth 500,000. He has a lot to learn.
According to the box score, Tyler played 17 minutes and had 4 points and 1 rebound. I watched a fair amount of the 2nd half, when Tyler was playing he hardly touched the ball, I did not see him score nor get a rebound, and he was on the bench at crunch time. I think he lost confidence in himself as well. Its very sad to see how well he was playing 2 years ago for us compared to what he was doing at the end of this season. I really like Tyler, I hope he can turn it around and have some sort of pro career, I assume he still wants to do so.

My bad! Clearly I was not awake enough to complete my earlier thought...I meant to add "in the NIT." Thanks for calling me out on that.:)

A10 is doing fantastic in the NCAA - Dukes and Flyers win today! VCU looked strong and I'm predicting they continue to win. St. Joe's played a great game and lost in OT. Enough of the negativity.

Burton was a paid observer in the game. Made to no move to get involved or be aggressive on the floor.

There are risks to transferring where the player might not fit into the system or bond with the coach. Tyler might have make some quick NIL money, but he significantly hurt his future earnings power. His decision to transfer was a terrible mistake. It is very sad to see a guy go 2 years in a row with an outside chance of being drafted into the NBA to being 5th or 6th scoring option on a team that wasn't that good.

I also think that when you transfer to another school most fans don't look at you the same way. The U of R basketball community is like a family, with with a strong support system between alumni and current players. It will be interesting to see if Tyler stays involved with U of R after his college days. I would assume wherever he goes his bio will say Villanova and not U of R.

I'm kind of curious how Mooney views him. My sense has been when someone leaves the program, he's sort of dead to Mooney but I could be wrong.

There are risks to transferring where the player might not fit into the system or bond with the coach. Tyler might have make some quick NIL money, but he significantly hurt his future earnings power. His decision to transfer was a terrible mistake. It is very sad to see a guy go 2 years in a row with an outside chance of being drafted into the NBA to being 5th or 6th scoring option on a team that wasn't that good.

I also think that when you transfer to another school most fans don't look at you the same way. The U of R basketball community is like a family, with with a strong support system between alumni and current players. It will be interesting to see if Tyler stays involved with U of R after his college days. I would assume wherever he goes his bio will say Villanova and not U of R.
Did it really hurt his earnings power though? TB went through the draft workouts twice. He set himself financially for his future and will have a degree from UR and and a Masters from Villanova. Making the NBA is extremely difficult but he will play professionally somewher. TB would prob have to play the 2 and 3 in the league and that position is stacked, I don't know if he has the defensive chops to guard that. If your family member has opportunity to change their financial life doing something they absolutely love and fans say that was a terrible move, I think that is just ridiculous. He was a 4 year guy and gave us everything. Now did he go about it the right way...thats definitely debatable.

tbf I don't know about the Masters. I guess there are some 1 year programs. Hopefully Burton was going for the MBA. Most of the grad transfers aren't ending up with a grad degree, that is 1 of the issues. But u can argue he's closer to getting it.

I do agree it's a little different feeling when a guy puts 4 years in, graduates, and then moves on.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Did it really hurt his earnings power though? TB went through the draft workouts twice. He set himself financially for his future and will have a degree from UR and and a Masters from Villanova. Making the NBA is extremely difficult but he will play professionally somewher. TB would prob have to play the 2 and 3 in the league and that position is stacked, I don't know if he has the defensive chops to guard that. If your family member has opportunity to change their financial life doing something they absolutely love and fans say that was a terrible move, I think that is just ridiculous. He was a 4 year guy and gave us everything. Now did he go about it the right way...thats definitely debatable.
The starting salary in the NBA is I believe $1 million with the potential to make many times that amount. A two way deal in the NBA pays about $500,000. Overseas contracts go for substantially different amounts based on how good a player is perceived coming out a college. The first pro job a player gets has a lot to do with where their professional career goes. I think Tyler had the potential to make millions in a pro career. He still might, but it is going to be a lot harder.

If Burton takes that 500K and invests in the stock market, he will have over 8 million by the time he is 55 (assuming similar rate of return over the past 30 years). That's why you take the $$$.

Tyler was and never will be an NBA player, way too many holes in his game. Yeah, he has elite athletic ability (as does pretty much every NBA player), but his handle and shot are not close to NBA level. This is not a knock on Tyler, he was a great college player for us, but just the reality of his game and the type of skills you need to play in the NBA.

I'm sure he can earn decent $$$ playing overseas though and doubt his one mediocre year at Nova impacts that greatly. Plus, he has a nice nest egg for his future.

If Burton takes that 500K and invests in the stock market, he will have over 8 million by the time he is 55 (assuming similar rate of return over the past 30 years). That's why you take the $$$.

Tyler was and never will be an NBA player, way too many holes in his game. Yeah, he has elite athletic ability (as does pretty much every NBA player), but his handle and shot are not close to NBA level. This is not a knock on Tyler, he was a great college player for us, but just the reality of his game and the type of skills you need to play in the NBA.

I'm sure he can earn decent $$$ playing overseas though and doubt his one mediocre year at Nova impacts that greatly. Plus, he has a nice nest egg for his future.
🎯

I’m sure Tyler is OK. Definitely wasn’t the perfect ending and I am sure his Nova experience did not work out the way he thought it would. I know I am a stuck record, but team chemistry isn’t an easy thing especially when you throw a bunch of experienced guys together for one year. Definitely isn’t my preferred team makeup, but that is the new world of college basketball. It is just like the old Seinfeld episode said, we are now rooting for laundry.

Hopefully some of the older players pass on some lessons learned to the younger guys while all this stuff settles out. At least both Tyler and Dji earned college degrees in the usual 4 year window. This artificial 5th year also thankfully disappears, so the graduate transfer numbers are going to go way down. What will not go away is the siren song of a better opportunity and immediate eligibility for undergraduate players. I think the players that take the constant transfer route are doing themselves a great disservice, but time will tell.

Agree sdad, was a great move for Burton if he in fact got the $ amount mentioned.
Agreed - if they offered him a bag full of cash and UR, safe to assume, was nowhere near that - why wouldn't you take the money? Cause of potential future NBA prospects / earnings? Tyler was at UR for 2 years, and took a step back his last year when the focus was on him. And as mentioned - he went through the NBA workouts and got feedback. So given that feedback - why not take the money, as he might not get it again.

I think Burton will be a good G-League player, if he chooses. But I think he will have options in Europe, and just like many players decide whether to go across the ocean, possibly more money, but very unlikely to get a call up during NBA season and wait till end of each year to tryout for teams or stay in G-League and hope for all up opportunities. Gilyard is a good example - the fact he stayed in G-League and has played well, has allowed him to go up and down and make an impression. If he was an Europe - that would not happen, he would probably be touching base with NBA teams at the end of the season and looking for tryouts and summer team spots.

tbf I don't know about the Masters. I guess there are some 1 year programs. Hopefully Burton was going for the MBA. Most of the grad transfers aren't ending up with a grad degree, that is 1 of the issues. But u can argue he's closer to getting it.
yeah, you can earn some masters degrees in one year. pretty sure you can't earn an MBA. that's a 2 year commitment full time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT