ADVERTISEMENT

Top 25 Rankings/Points/Awards for Spiders & Spiders Opponents in '23-24

Excellent - I really enjoyed being at the last game we played Kentucky so might as well book my tix to Salt Lake now ..

for what it's worth, Lunardi reiterates that the A-10 will receive two bids...saw him speak on this a few weeks ago...he bases this on the conference's power rating which is 8th...history says a conference ranked this high gets at least two bids...

let's hope he's right...

Spiders just have to keep winning games to make him right!

Go Spiders!

I am not nearly so confident. The league may be 8th overall, but it's because we have a zillion teams in the 70–110 range, not because we have a few teams ranking very highly.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
It’s Dayton and then whichever team wins the A10 tournament as the expected path to 2 bids. I am sure most followers of the A10 would take the field over Dayton this year as the Flyers are not as dominant as expected in conference.

Reactions: urfan1
Yes, that's obviously the path to two. But if Dayton gets the auto, we're a one-bid conference as it stands today, even as the 8th-rated conference. I'd bet Ulla's ranch on it.

Doesn't mean we can't get into at-large consideration with a strong run to the finish, but we need to be nearly perfect.

It’s Dayton and then whichever team wins the A10 tournament as the expected path to 2 bids. I am sure most followers of the A10 would take the field over Dayton this year as the Flyers are not as dominant as expected in conference.
Just not getting all the continued love for Dayton. What happens if they lose another in season game and don’t win tournament? Are the powers that be just gonna gift Dayton a bid?

Just not getting all the continued love for Dayton. What happens if they lose another in season game and don’t win tournament? Are the powers that be just gonna gift Dayton a bid?
I don't think it would be "gifted". They played a solid non-conference schedule and came away with several nice wins, then continued with being at or near first in the A10 throughout the year so far, and their NET is 20.

They have built some margin for error.

I don't think it would be "gifted". They played a solid non-conference schedule and came away with several nice wins, then continued with being at or near first in the A10 throughout the year so far, and their NET is 20.

They have built some margin for error.
So let’s word another way. Are they basically already in? Or how many in season losses can they absorb, and what happens if they lose in say…A10 Tourney semis? Still in?

The whole system is very weird. Once a team gets high praise early, and the narrative becomes, “they are great and a lock”. That team is set unless there is a total collapse.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
ESPN has them as a lock, so in their view, Dayton could lose the rest of their games and still get in.

Torvik simulation of them losing their last 3 and then a hypothetical first game against Mason in the tourney still has them getting in, and not even in the last four. Those early wins over Northwestern, St. John's, and SMU have given them a very nice cushion.

Now honestly, my gut says that the committee would have to take a very close look at them if they dropped their last four games of the season, so I don't know if they're fully in the lock category for me, but I'm not a bracketologist or on the committee.

How in the hell do we have only 1 first place vote? We are tied for the best record in the conference and have head to head wins over Dayton and Loyola.
Wonder if we are still 3rd in whoever votes in this stupid ranking still, considering we sit alone now in first place in the actual standings.

Loyola beats Dayton. Like some others said, probably better if Dayton hafvwon as they have lost some of their buzz. We just need to keep winning. Does worry me a bit because the media seems to love Loyola. Maybe we need JOC to re run the wedding planner 😀.
Heated post game

This is exactly why I asked why ppl on here were rooting for them to lose vs. the goo moos. Made no sense to me w 4 games and who UD had left. Now just hurts us.

If they lost out they would definitely be in trouble. Disagree w simulation. But they will not lose out.

Reactions: gospidersgo
At this point I honestly think the best thing for us would be to beat vcu comfortably today and then root for them to win at Dayton. If Dayton finishes with 5 losses and in fourth place in the league, they cannot be a lock anymore on just the basis of beating St. John's, Cincy and LSU, none of whom are anything special. I realize they may be better than our OOC wins, but if we finish three games ahead of them in the same league, that needs to count for something.

At this point I honestly think the best thing for us would be to beat vcu comfortably today and then root for them to win at Dayton. If Dayton finishes with 5 losses and in fourth place in the league, they cannot be a lock anymore on just the basis of beating St. John's, Cincy and LSU, none of whom are anything special. I realize they may be better than our OOC wins, but if we finish three games ahead of them in the same league, that needs to count for something.
At this stage hard to say how committee looks at Dayton. I agree with your point of view, but if NET and OOC still luvs Dayton, then it seems they r probably in w/out a total collapse in season and in A10 tourney. I think Dayton scenario sucks, but seems we just have to keep winning and cntl our own destiny.

I watched second half last night of Dayton and Loyola. Got to say that Loyola looked really good and hit shots when needed.

At this stage hard to say how committee looks at Dayton. I agree with your point of view, but if NET and OOC still luvs Dayton, then it seems they r probably in w/out a total collapse in season and in A10 tourney. I think Dayton scenario sucks, but seems we just have to keep winning and cntl our own destiny.

I watched second half last night of Dayton and Loyola. Got to say that Loyola looked really good and hit shots when needed.
It didn't help Dayton when their PG went down. Elvis had 7 TOs at one point in the second half. Not sure how many he wound up with.

I think they have some pretty good individual players, but Holmes is overrated.

Can’t tell what was happening in that clip but with a couple minutes remaining and Loyola up 3, one of their players could have been T’d up for starting a near incident after a foul, out of nowhere.

Also as I mentioned in game thread the Loyola managers were screaming at the Dayton shooters in front of their bench the whole first half to the point the UD guys were turning at them after makes. When I say screaming, I mean screaming. If you recall, LC had their managers on baseline (bc no fans) going nuts in game vs UR - had thought at first they were fans going overboard. Their coach clearly encourages this crap.

Pretty intense atmosphere overall. Glad we played the Gryffindors on a weeknight in front of 8 people. Atmosphere matters and affects reffing.

TV Ted was atrocious yet again last night. He is abysmal.

One vote is better than no votes................we are the hottest team in the A-10 with 5 straight wins and leading the league, but Dayton gets 50 votes to our 1..................won't even try to figure it out other than the Flyers are still hanging on to fumes generated before conference play started.................

It's voter laziness more than anything else. If you have a team in your top 25, you're probably not dropping them all the way out unless they lose a few games or lose to some bad teams. So Dayton is being graded on a curve in a positive way, while we are being graded on one in a negative way, since we've been on the outside looking in all season. We have to hope that the committee is not this lazy when evaluating teams head to head.

Inertia has many adherents.....................who'd I vote for last week ....oh yeah just mark that again............

Reactions: Eight Legger
it's not just NET that loves Dayton.
they're #5 in the old RPI. even with losing 3 of their last 6.

A10 Talk really needs some aspiring UR student to partner with them next year ..

Loyola 9 1st place votes, UR 3 - Goose eggs for Dayton, VCU. LCU voters must have forgotten they lost by 15 to Bonne on Tuesday night.

It didn't help Dayton when their PG went down. Elvis had 7 TOs at one point in the second half. Not sure how many he wound up with.

I think they have some pretty good individual players, but Holmes is overrated.
Well with Holmes latest performance he drops behind Broome to be 3rd best player.
i assume you (and many others) disagree?

How is that for over rated?

Loyola beats Dayton. Like some others said, probably better if Dayton hafvwon as they have lost some of their buzz. We just need to keep winning. Does worry me a bit because the media seems to love Loyola. Maybe we need JOC to re run the wedding planner 😀.
Heated post game

So who was the guy in the video bringing his luggage onto the court?

A10 Talk really needs some aspiring UR student to partner with them next year ..

Loyola 9 1st place votes, UR 3 - Goose eggs for Dayton, VCU. LCU voters must have forgotten they lost by 15 to Bonne on Tuesday night.

So let's see. We have a better overall and conference record than Loyola, higher NET, and beat them to head to head but whomever votes in this idiotic twitter account ranks Loyola higher than us.

3 bid leagues reg season awards which were voted upon many of the active A10 pseudo media and podcasts folks on Twitter - although none of the voters "represent" UR. There are multiple posts - Dji won the "glue guy" award ..

So we had the same record, have the head to head win, have a better NET, and a better KenPom. Yet, these guys have us second. Got it. I have been having trouble with the sharing of the A10 regular season title as you know, but now I am starting to understand. Loyola 1, Richmond 2.

Hope someone tells Mooney to take the "Kick Me" sign taped to his back down.

Reactions: regatw
So we had the same record, have the head to head win, have a better NET, and a better KenPom. Yet, these guys have us second. Got it. I have been having trouble with the sharing of the A10 regular season title as you know, but now I am starting to understand. Loyola 1, Richmond 2.

Hope someone tells Mooney to take the "Kick Me" sign taped to his back down.
They listed their contributors to these polls. Mainly the larger A-10 twitter profiles it seems. Also, zero UR presence in their contributors.

Reactions: Eight Legger
That recent Q1 over Dayton sticks in voters' minds for Loyola.

We haven't had a Q1/Q2 win since our own win over Dayton six weeks ago...granted we've only had two opportunities, but we lost both Q2s at VCU and at Mason by double digits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT