ADVERTISEMENT

Top 25 Rankings/Points/Awards for Spiders & Spiders Opponents in '23-24

also in that article, the High Point guard they mention is a junior. He and his back court mate Duke Miles are both getting 17+ ppg at High Point on better than 38% from 3 each. Could be names to keep an eye on in the portal if they decide to transfer up for their senior years.

Reactions: Eight Legger
4 of out 13 1st place votes with the other 9 going to Dayton by our A10 Talk friends. I think I am fine with Dayton running the table and/or giving the Lambs at least 1 or 2 losses.

Lunardi of course slides us in as the AQ, and 'Nova falls out.

Lunardi - AQ as 12 versus San Diego State ..

"The intricacies of Bracketology are on full display this week. An under-the-radar yet pivotal weekend game featuring Dayton and Richmond ended up costing a recent two-time NCAA champion (Villanova) a place in our latest bracket. The Spiders, picked 11th preseason in the Atlantic 10, knocked off No. 21 Dayton in a battle of league unbeatens, giving the A-10 a second team in the field and becoming our first official bid thief of the campaign. Lost in the shuffle is just how good Dayton has been, climbing as high as a 3-seed last week and bringing to mind the stellar Obi Toppin-led Flyers of the pandemic-aborted 2019-20 season. No program in America lost a greater opportunity than those Flyers, so count me among those rooting for this DaRon Holmes II-fueled edition to keep it going."

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Yeah, UMass–VCU was the first game of the second round when things got called off just before. We weren't supposed to play until the next day because we were the freaking 2-seed.
Ah the memories .. was flying in from Colorado the day before and meeting up with a couple of locals and my friend from Chicago and staying at a Airbnb near Brooklyn. We still made the call to get together after the games were canceled since .. crazy weekend, stock-market crashing, watching classic Spider games on youtube, Peter Lugars, cards, and then renting a car Sun morning driving back to Richmond when there were somewhere around 5 other cars on 95 the entire drive .. and yes, I was strongly encouraged/required to sleep in the basement for 5 nights by the wife upon arriving back home.

Last edited:
I recall a player think it was from Duquesne saying he couldn’t believe they were making them play the day prior.

And the Big East played on…

Went to the game at Duquesne the week or so prior to the world shutting down. Felt that win at Duquesne put us in great shape for an at-large bid.

Reactions: GKiller
So now Joe Lunardi is trolling me.

Note to Joe: GK is the one questioning if you are still on the payroll and calls you Philly Joe.

SF - I don't want to see that match up until at least the final 4 :)

u may be conflating with Philly Bob. But Philly Joe is appropriate. Goofy Joe even better. Maybe I've used Philly Joe idk, think for redundancy I try not to. Think I've used Joey Bags.

btw I don't think he's on payroll any longer. Even Joey wouldn't tell us to schedule 6 of the worst teams in all of D1 bball in a single Home season. Plus we were paying for PR anyway. Picked 11th in A10 we were probably like sorry Joey we can save some $ this year. But if he's a guest on Philly Bob radio show soon then maybe he's still getting paid. We made such a big deal about it in past and now there's not a peep. And this is the time of year we need him. But I feel like he has a good relationship w Philly Bob and w his A10 connections would be willing to come on shows regardless.

Wasn’t that 2020 when we were having a great year and never cracked any of his brackets? Or like last team in? Great PR value.

Yes, Spiders did too, crazy times. If I recall we were warming up for the game in Brooklyn when it was called off.
Not sure about that but possible. I had tickets and remember it being cancelled the day before and we never thought of going.

Wasn’t that 2020 when we were having a great year and never cracked any of his brackets? Or like last team in? Great PR value.

We got in on his last bracket. The tourney may have been canceled or looking like it at that point idk. He did us no favors. Many other bracketologists had us in well b4 Lunardi. But Joey Brackets is average at best w predictions.

I never said we got PR; we didn’t. I said we paid for potential PR. But it’s kind of a lose lose situation. He’s on our payroll but he doesn’t want to show favoritism when his espn gig is the breadwinner. & Nobody will ever admit it’s a wink wink nod nod deal. But I think it is. In theory hey worth a try for UR to see if they’d get the PR bump. Didn’t happen so that’s another reason I don’t think lunardi was renewed.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I think we paid for scheduling consulting. not PR. and if we thought we'd get PR or be added to his brackets when not worthy, then that was foolish. he'd lose what little credibility he has if he did that.

Reactions: urfan1
I think we paid for scheduling consulting. not PR. and if we thought we'd get PR or be added to his brackets when not worthy, then that was foolish. he'd lose what little credibility he has if he did that.

It's all good this is more amusing than anything. & it's a little more nuanced. Of course we'd have to be the mix. The consulting is the front. It's like money laundering with a futures bet. U have to have a front. I watched Ozark! I'm sure Joey Brackets even does 1 presentation and writes 1 report for the scheduling stuff.

Of all the consultants in all the ports, with all the data sets already out there, with a veteran staff, we still chose the most expensive guy out there, even though he has very mediocre performance, and just coincidentally happens to have an interconnected, highest profile media gig talking about the same subject matter.

Of course even a cynic would admit it's possible everything is above board. But I also may have received some inside info over the years that validated my theories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT