ADVERTISEMENT

Top 25 Rankings/Points/Awards for Spiders & Spiders Opponents in '23-24

Reactions: VT4700
Lunardi now has us facing Kentucky in his latest bracket.

Dayton up to 18th .. as expected no AP votes for us which probably wouldn't change until after a victorious VCU game.

Sticking at #2 in the A10 Talk Poll .. lost our 4 1st place votes from last week. One of the 15 voters had Loyola at 2 and another had VCU at 2 - we can likely speculate the main school these 2 voters follow.

Back to Monday and polls, rankings and awards ... not liking JMU headed to a 28-3 record unless they get upset going into Sunbelt tourney ..

Reactions: urfan1
How did the Mountain West Conf turn into such a basketball powerhouse
Their top teams did well in OOC. They all received good Net rankings so now when they all play in each other, they are all self sustaining Quad 1 and Quad 2 games.

If the A-10 had done the same, we would be in a similar situation. Dayton held their end but they were the only ones. Had we beaten Colorado and say BC we would be up there. Had VCU only 1 game in their big tourney, they would be up there in the NET now too. Ironically, both us and VCU were missing key players during the OOC.

I suspect 8legs' question was more of a philosophical one than a ratings math one. The conference as a whole has gotten a significant number of its members to perform at a very high level.

They've long been a very solid conference, but definitely at something of a high point the past few years. Definitely not an entirely new phenomenon though...a decade ago they put 5 out of 9 teams in the tourney.

Is it something the conference as a whole has done, or just a confluence of individual schools investing resources and making good hires?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I suspect 8legs' question was more of a philosophical one than a ratings math one. The conference as a whole has gotten a significant number of its members to perform at a very high level.

They've long been a very solid conference, but definitely at something of a high point the past few years. Definitely not an entirely new phenomenon though...a decade ago they put 5 out of 9 teams in the tourney.

Is it something the conference as a whole has done, or just a confluence of individual schools investing resources and making good hires?
The Mountain West has also largely avoided poaching of their top teams. If we still had Xavier and Temple (and Butler which was a member for one year haha) we would look a lot better. Though Temple has really fallen off in basketball after leaving the A10.

Their top teams did well in OOC. They all received good Net rankings so now when they all play in each other, they are all self sustaining Quad 1 and Quad 2 games.

If the A-10 had done the same, we would be in a similar situation. Dayton held their end but they were the only ones. Had we beaten Colorado and say BC we would be up there. Had VCU only 1 game in their big tourney, they would be up there in the NET now too. Ironically, both us and VCU were missing key players during the OOC.
I think this team's chemistry has really developed, since the OOC schedule.

Reactions: mr.spider
The Mountain West has also largely avoided poaching of their top teams. If we still had Xavier and Temple (and Butler which was a member for one year haha) we would look a lot better. Though Temple has really fallen off in basketball after leaving the A10.
Well we did get to see Temple's former coach Fran Dunphy at the Robins Center when we played LaSalle. He is a good coach and the only one in the A-10 who I can identify with age wise. LaSalle is fortunate to have him. It is difficult to figure out how Temple has become so bad after leaving the A-10....................

Wow - Dayton goes to 16 from 18 given how stellar they looked on Fri night (realizing lots of other teams lost too)

Well we did get to see Temple's former coach Fran Dunphy at the Robins Center when we played LaSalle. He is a good coach and the only one in the A-10 who I can identify with age wise. LaSalle is fortunate to have him. It is difficult to figure out how Temple has become so bad after leaving the A-10....................
Same reason we have sucked at baseball since we left the CAA.

It' a little confusing because he also has in the field as the auto, but obviously great to see us starting to show up on at-large bubbles as well.

Yeah, I can't figure out Temple. That is a school with a rich basketball tradition of success at the highest level. They are still in a good conference but clearly they felt OK screwing up their immense basketball success to support their football program which has been a dumpster fire for most of its existence was a good move for their university. See also, ODU.

It' a little confusing because he also has in the field as the auto, but obviously great to see us starting to show up on at-large bubbles as well.
I think I saw us as 8th out before Dayton’s loss, but we haven‘t been removed after getting the AQ spot.

Yeah, I like this one because he appears to actually be doing his HW and can tell that a bunch of teams ahead of us really have no chance of an at large, while our resume looks better than NET thinks.
I don’t like this one, because there is no list just a Geico ad that won’t end or close…

Does anyone look at Coaches poll, or only AP?
Well looky there - we did a get a point/25th rank vote in the Coaches poll and pretty sure it wasn't by a Princeton graduate .. but seems our Broad street colleagues got 4 poinrs- Dayton 18th

Others Receiving Votes​

Utah State 94; Texas Tech 89; Florida Atlantic 63; Clemson 38; Gonzaga 35; San Diego State 34; Nevada 27; TCU 20; Washington State 18; Grand Canyon 13; Texas A&M 9; New Mexico 8; Florida 8; Northwestern 6; South Florida 5; Wake Forest 4; VCU 4; Michigan State 4; James Madison 3; Richmond 1; App State 1;

7 first place votes to LC, 3 for Dayton, 1 for UR, 0 for the other Richmond school.
LC has looked good but I still don't think they are the best team in the conference. Would love to play them in the semis.

7 first place votes to LC, 3 for Dayton, 1 for UR, 0 for the other Richmond school.
LC has looked good but I still don't think they are the best team in the conference. Would love to play them in the semis.

How in the hell do we have only 1 first place vote? We are tied for the best record in the conference and have head to head wins over Dayton and Loyola.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT