ADVERTISEMENT

The Official Spider Basketball Information Only Thread

spiderstudent17

Team Manager
Mar 25, 2015
I got the sense that a bunch of people are tired of talking about the same thing with regards to the banter between keep Mooney or fire Mooney. I am sure there are many casual and daily posters who would just like a thread where they can keep up-to-date with the latest information on spider basketball without having to filter through all the secondary discussions. Well, here is the thread I am proposing!

This thread will ONLY be used to post information regarding Spider basketball. What does this mean? It's not limited to these options but here are some examples: tweets on official visits, offers, or commitments of players. Articles from RTD or Richmond's website regarding basketball, any radio interviews or podcast where basketball, facilities, our athletic department, etc. is discussed (example would be Black and Drew on ESPN 950). If a poster goes to visit a practice or spider club event, that poster can write out their opinions on what they saw/heard/discussed. Basically, I am hoping to create a thread that only reports on spider news without discussion of anything else. That way, a poster can follow what is going on in the world of Spider basketball without reading countless repetitive posts -- which I am sure has annoyed many of you. If you want to start a discussion on one of the messages a user posted in this thread, do so in one of the other threads. If as a poster, you want to post something (like a new commit) feel free to post the tweet here and also start a new thread on the topic, where it can be discussed.

There is some self-policing involved. If there are posts that aren't about reporting news on spider basketball, please report or delete it if you are the moderator.

Maybe if this works out and people like this idea, we can make it a sticky thread

Last edited:
Saw Nate Cayo with a BIG BOY plate of food on his tray at d hall today. It's bulking szn.

Saw Nate Cayo with a BIG BOY plate of food on his tray at d hall today. It's bulking szn.
Trying not to bulk, the Ulla had a big plate of food in the d-hall followed by carrot cake and coffee. Hard to resist! Great food!

Reactions: plydogg
Trying not to bulk, the Ulla had a big plate of food in the d-hall followed by carrot cake and coffee. Hard to resist! Great food!
The dessert chef is evil; had Oreo cookie cheesecake, evil!

Another Canadian, appears to only have other interest from IUPUI. Most likely would be looking at a redshirt year and judging by the lack of offers, probably a reach for our level of basketball.

With the barrage of shooting guards the Spiders are recruiting, good news could be the demise of the cheer, “We R, U R”, to be replaced by, “We Are, Davidson”. :)

With the barrage of shooting guards the Spiders are recruiting, good news could be the demise of the cheer, “We R, U R”, to be replaced by, “We Are, Davidson”. :)

never

Another Canadian, appears to only have other interest from IUPUI. Most likely would be looking at a redshirt year and judging by the lack of offers, probably a reach for our level of basketball.
Think Matt could be a good fit for our offense; an able back up for Grant. Have to consider that neither UR nor perhaps even others in the A19 are going to get a big man better than Grant.

It's possible he is just WAY under the radar, but the fact he appears to have no D1 offers is troubling. I wouldn't turn down a capable 6-9 guy, I just don't know if he is capable.

Reminds me a little of Gerroit; good moves around the basket, able to shoot from outside, good passer, not much of a jumper. Could b a good addition.

Looks a little slow which could be an issue on the defensive end. But has some size and looks like a good shooter.

Maybe he is under the radar coming from Canada. Need to do a little more research.

Looks like he is a better shooter and more touch than PF.

Looks a little slow which could be an issue on the defensive end. But has some size and looks like a good shooter.

Maybe he is under the radar coming from Canada. Need to do a little more research.

One of top 35 players in Canada.

Guards and smaller players who can play can fly under the radar because there are hundreds if not thousands of them, not 6'9 guys. If he could high level D-1 ball, other schools other than us and IUPUI would be interested. Ulla is already declaring him a potential back-up player.

Reactions: plydogg
Guards and smaller players who can play can fly under the radar because there are hundreds if not thousands of them, not 6'9 guys. If he could high level D-1 ball, other schools other than us and IUPUI would be interested. Ulla is already declaring him a potential back-up player.
97, no one in the A10 is getting a big who would beat out Grant. So yes, Matt could help us.

We don't need a big man who could beat out Grant -- we need another one like Grant to play alongside him.
Not happening in the A10. Just need another skilled big to interact with and support Grant. Matt appears to be capable.

Reactions: VT4700
Reminds me a little of Gerroit; good moves around the basket, able to shoot from outside, good passer, not much of a jumper. Could b a good addition.
Cup agree about Geriot comparison, plus he has good hands and quick reaction time. Just not a real athletic guy but Geriot did well for us. Would worry about him on defense covering a quick 4 or 5.

Remember Canada has 10% less population than California and very few kids play basketball. Tough to gauge Canadian kids.

Last edited:
Lots of programs have more than 1 starting quality big man. Sick of recruiting back-ups.

Can you name them? Which ones in the A-10 or similar conferences to ours have more than 1 starting quality big guy?

Seems like you are hurting your argument here. You are correct in that there are way more guards out there to recruit than 6'9 guys. So, why would you expect us to land two 6'9 or taller starters when there are so few 6'9 guys out there to recruit?

Instead of wondering why we can't find another Grant to play beside Grant, you should be thrilled that we even have Grant because I'm not sure any other A-10 school team has a better big than him.

Top 35 means nothing to me when it represents Canadian basketball. Talking Hockey or Curling? Sure that means something.

There are clearly a few great players coming out of Canada. Most of those play HS in the US. Some slip through the cracks, as 97 and others have said they usually aren't 6'9" big men.

I have seen Matt listed as 37 on the http://northpolehoops.com/ rankings, see link below.

http://northpolehoops.com/2018/02/01/canadian-2018-recruitment-updates-top-50/

The top 5 or so on this list appear to be very good to even great. After that there are a lot of unknowns with marginal offers. It appears the Ivy league are getting a few of their top players (3 in the top 8).

When you really look who is ranked in the 8-50 range and where they committed, it puts it in perspective. Here is a sample:

#10 - Western Kentucky
#12 - Toledo
#14 - Hill College
#15 - Mercer
#20 - UC Davis
#21 - Valpo
#23 - Colgate (same HS as Matt)
#27 - Carleton
#29 - Central Arkansas
#30 - Illinois Chicago
#31 - Virginia Tech (by far the only commitment to a high level conference)
#39 - McMaster
#40 - IUPUI
#42 - IUPUI (damn they are going to be a powerhouse!!!)
#45 - Stony Brook

I would have put more in but most haven't signed yet according to this website. None, other than 1 guy, that I saw in the 8 to 50 range had any big time offers or even interest. Most were low-level offers with an occasional mid-major sprinkled in.

Not happening in the A10. Just need another skilled big to interact with and support Grant. Matt appears to be capable.
I mean, you're arguing it's impossible to sign a big man like Grant in the A10? Seriously? For starters, we signed Grant – should we never expect to be able to sign another player like him?

Beyond that, I'm not asking for another POY candidate like Grant, but someone who can legitimately score 5-10 points a game and grab 8 boards a game would be very nice. There's no reason we can't find one or two guys like that.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Top 35 means nothing to me when it represents Canadian basketball. Talking Hockey or Curling? Sure that means something.

There are clearly a few great players coming out of Canada. Most of those play HS in the US. Some slip through the cracks, as 97 and others have said they usually aren't 6'9" big men.

I have seen Matt listed as 37 on the http://northpolehoops.com/ rankings, see link below.

http://northpolehoops.com/2018/02/01/canadian-2018-recruitment-updates-top-50/

The top 5 or so on this list appear to be very good to even great. After that there are a lot of unknowns with marginal offers. It appears the Ivy league are getting a few of their top players (3 in the top 8).

When you really look who is ranked in the 8-50 range and where they committed, it puts it in perspective. Here is a sample:

#10 - Western Kentucky
#12 - Toledo
#14 - Hill College
#15 - Mercer
#20 - UC Davis
#21 - Valpo
#23 - Colgate (same HS as Matt)
#27 - Carleton
#29 - Central Arkansas
#30 - Illinois Chicago
#31 - Virginia Tech (by far the only commitment to a high level conference)
#39 - McMaster
#40 - IUPUI
#42 - IUPUI (damn they are going to be a powerhouse!!!)
#45 - Stony Brook

I would have put more in but most haven't signed yet according to this website. None, other than 1 guy, that I saw in the 8 to 50 range had any big time offers or even interest. Most were low-level offers with an occasional mid-major sprinkled in.
Does it look like as of 2/1/2018 they have posted:
Matt Grace (Dartmouth, Colgate, Cornell, Western Michigan, American Interest)

Friendly reminder that the intention I had with this thread is for users to post information regarding the latest news on Spider Basketball without having to read through secondary discussion. If you would like to discuss any new information, please do so on the other threads we have dedicated to that recruit, offer, article, etc. specifically.

If no one likes this idea, I figure that people will stop posting on here and this thread will eventually get lost in one of the 2+ pages. Ideally, my goal for this thread is that it can be used as an effective way to streamline the most relevant information for everyone to read.

Friendly reminder that the intention I had with this thread is for users to post information regarding the latest news on Spider Basketball without having to read through secondary discussion. If you would like to discuss any new information, please do so on the other threads we have dedicated to that recruit, offer, article, etc. specifically.

If no one likes this idea, I figure that people will stop posting on here and this thread will eventually get lost in one of the 2+ pages. Ideally, my goal for this thread is that it can be used as an effective way to streamline the most relevant information for everyone to read.

Spiderstudent17 - as noted above, isn't that what the pinned Recruiting Tracker thread is for? After a while these floating threads can get so long many of us don't read all of the posts and scan them for interesting info, opinions or comments.

Spiderstudent17 - as noted above, isn't that what the pinned Recruiting Tracker thread is for? After a while these floating threads can get so long many of us don't read all of the posts and scan them for interesting info, opinions or comments.

Recruiting thread is only for offers and following recruits, whereas this thread would ideally encompass all news related to Spider basketball (albeit recruiting is a large chunk of Spider news). Also, the recruiting thread has secondary discussion in it. I’m not saying this thread needs to become a thing. We can use the recruiting tracker thread for this purpose if people would like. I just thought it would be nice to have a place where only information was posted and nothing else.

Makes sense.

But I suggest you create, or have an admin create, a pinned thread for non-recruiting news and then the board uses those two as the ‘news only’ threads.

Pinning it will help distinguish that it is ‘news only’. Once one person responds with an opinion then others, like myself, comment back and it turns from news to a regular post. Sometimes it hard keeping track of all of the threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrTbone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT