ADVERTISEMENT

Bigelow - Player Evaluation

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Strengths
A lot to like about Bigs. Coming in, thought he would be a player that likes to hang out on the perimeter and shoot 3's. While he does like to shoot 3's, he brought a lot in other areas.
Plays Hard/high intensity - This is an overlooked "skill" if you will. This guy goes after it, on the defensive end, loose balls, rebounds, attacks the basket. Has the aggressive mindset that you cannot coach.
Rebounding - Likely to be our top rebounder, and with Burton gone will probably have to grab more. The good news is he likes to board and is good at it. Rebounds outside of his area, and can grab it and go.
Attacks the basket - Bigs is not afraid to go hard to the hoop and get fouled and/or finish. Uses his athleticism to attack.
FT shooting. 85% shooter. Very good
Areas of Improvement
3 pointers - Only shot 26.5 % from three, and shot a lot of them (113), this dragged down his overall FG% obviously too. Based on his FT %, and past performance, I am hopeful this can improve. I would like to see better shot selection from 3. I feel like at times he just took the first one that was half way open. Form, seems like he could make a few tweaks, especially the fading. I feel like between a little better shot selection, and minor tweak to his motion - their is a realistic chance this improves.

Next Season
Last season, I thought our highest ceiling team was a team led by Bigelow and Burton being the catalysts and both scoring 15-20 points a game. Burton did his scoring, but with lower 3pt % and Bigs showed some flashes, but ultimately his 3 point shooting was not great and his PT went down.
This year, as I posted on another thread, I think our highest ceiling team is one in which Freshman Ryan Soulis is game ready to play 25 minutes and make positive impact next to Quinn. This would allow Bigs to play on the wing. This is probably unlikely, and Bigs will need to defend the interior a bunch and play next to Quinn. In this case, hoping he can avoid foul trouble, and be a mismatch on offense - beat his man off the dribble and take and make 3 point shots. While I do think we we will get a lot more offense at the PG spot, and I think Noyes will score some - think we could really use Bigs to be a 12-15 point game guy - while doing all the other stuff. Likely needing to be a primary interior defender, rebound, bring energy - Bigs has a lot on his plate. Hopefully he can do all of that and score the basketball.

Excellent stuff, 23. I agree with pretty much all of it. We need Bigs on the floor a lot, so he will have to score, and score at an efficient rate for us to be a real good team. Like you said, take 3s, but not the 1st one you see. Be patient. Use his athleticism to drive to the basket and finish. I also think he will lead us in rebounding and am counting on a real good season from him.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
Bigs is a very good FT shooter and he needs to exploit that by driving a lot. His turnovers - some unforced or just sloppy - were an issue that he needs to cut down. Improve his 3 % is vital. A lot to like but still a whole lot of question marks in areas where UR is asking him to be consistent and a leader. Asking a Harper level jump in stats (or even 2/3 of that) is a lot.

Bigs is a very good FT shooter and he needs to exploit that by driving a lot. His turnovers - some unforced or just sloppy - were an issue that he needs to cut down. Improve his 3 % is vital. A lot to like but still a whole lot of question marks in areas where UR is asking him to be consistent and a leader. Asking a Harper level jump in stats (or even 2/3 of that) is a lot.
Bigelow had the 2nd lowest turnover rate on the team last year.

Maybe with Hunt and King we will have more scoring from the guard position, and less pressure on the wing and power forward position to be a big scorer for us. We need points from the forwards but last year, there was an obvious dependence on Burton. I just hope we have someone with the ability like Blake Francis was to us, to create a shot and be a fearless attacker. I thought last year Nelson tried to do that, but we know how that went.

Last edited:
Maybe with Hunt and King we will have more scoring from the guard position, and less pressure on the wing and power forward position to be a big scorer for us. We need points from the forwards but last year, there was an obvious dependence on Burton. I just hope we have someone with the ability like Blake Francis was to us, to create a shot and be a fearless attacker. I thought last year Nelson tried to do that, but we know how that went.
Agree, and he doesn't have to be as good as Blake was. Just be able to create his own shot, make 3s, draw some fouls, and finish at the rim. And, yes, be fearless and aggressive, but within the offense.

Strengths
A lot to like about Bigs. Coming in, thought he would be a player that likes to hang out on the perimeter and shoot 3's. While he does like to shoot 3's, he brought a lot in other areas.
Plays Hard/high intensity - This is an overlooked "skill" if you will. This guy goes after it, on the defensive end, loose balls, rebounds, attacks the basket. Has the aggressive mindset that you cannot coach.
Rebounding - Likely to be our top rebounder, and with Burton gone will probably have to grab more. The good news is he likes to board and is good at it. Rebounds outside of his area, and can grab it and go.
Attacks the basket - Bigs is not afraid to go hard to the hoop and get fouled and/or finish. Uses his athleticism to attack.
FT shooting. 85% shooter. Very good
Areas of Improvement
3 pointers - Only shot 26.5 % from three, and shot a lot of them (113), this dragged down his overall FG% obviously too. Based on his FT %, and past performance, I am hopeful this can improve. I would like to see better shot selection from 3. I feel like at times he just took the first one that was half way open. Form, seems like he could make a few tweaks, especially the fading. I feel like between a little better shot selection, and minor tweak to his motion - their is a realistic chance this improves.

Next Season
Last season, I thought our highest ceiling team was a team led by Bigelow and Burton being the catalysts and both scoring 15-20 points a game. Burton did his scoring, but with lower 3pt % and Bigs showed some flashes, but ultimately his 3 point shooting was not great and his PT went down.
This year, as I posted on another thread, I think our highest ceiling team is one in which Freshman Ryan Soulis is game ready to play 25 minutes and make positive impact next to Quinn. This would allow Bigs to play on the wing. This is probably unlikely, and Bigs will need to defend the interior a bunch and play next to Quinn. In this case, hoping he can avoid foul trouble, and be a mismatch on offense - beat his man off the dribble and take and make 3 point shots. While I do think we we will get a lot more offense at the PG spot, and I think Noyes will score some - think we could really use Bigs to be a 12-15 point game guy - while doing all the other stuff. Likely needing to be a primary interior defender, rebound, bring energy - Bigs has a lot on his plate. Hopefully he can do all of that and score the basketball.
I like Bigelow and by default he is going to play big minutes, mainly because we don't have another guy with his size to play the 4 for us. Noyes is too skinny (although Noyes had better see some really good minutes early somewhere on the court). Soulis will most likely be too new to make a huge impact (hope I am wrong). So, that leaves Bigs. He needs to be able to put the ball in the basket more often than he did last year though.

Reactions: spider23
I like Bigelow and by default he is going to play big minutes, mainly because we don't have another guy with his size to play the 4 for us. Noyes is too skinny (although Noyes had better see some really good minutes early somewhere on the court). Soulis will most likely be too new to make a huge impact (hope I am wrong). So, that leaves Bigs. He needs to be able to put the ball in the basket more often than he did last year though.
we also have Harris.

Yes, my belief is Harris is brought in more as someone that will need to guard big wings/PF as needed, and grab rebounds. Any scoring outbursts will be gravy.

Very interested to see Noyes this season. Has the hops and shot to seemingly have a big role. But not sure how good he will be laterally and staying in front of people, and physically not getting overpowered. In the little bit of practice video - he still looks rail thin and potentially not able to physically keep wings out of the paint. Hopefully I am wrong here. If not, then yes possibly Harris is needed more. Hopefully Noyes has developed to where he is a legit scoring threat and a net positive on D and boards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT