ADVERTISEMENT

The Official Fire Chris Mooney Thread - 2018-2019 Edition

Patterns and cycles repeat in all of life. Recognizing them is the first step. Then you must act on the ones you don't like, otherwise, they will,in fact, intensify.

Just to recap where we are right now in Mooney's 14th year here.

In the most cupcake OOC schedule ever, we are currently 4-6.

We lost to Longwood (a team that needed OT to be D3 Frostburg State), a 3-7 Wyoming, a 3-7 Hampton wheee we are their only D1 win, and an Oral Roberts team that is 3-9 with one previous D1 win (now 2 against us)

Enough is enough! I don't say this because it is a one-time occurrence but because this is what Mooney has done in his 17 years of coaching. I hope those few posters left who feel that beating Coppin State is a sign of improvement or that "next year is our year" finally come to the realization that this won't happen. I don't know about you all but I am going to continue emailing Hardt (athleticdirector@richmond.edu) and calling in on radio shows to speak with Hardt any chance I get. I may not be a big money donor but damn it I am going to make sure my voice is heard. Mooney has been flushing this program down the toilet for years and we all need to come together and finally call for the change we need.

Last edited:
Just to recap where we are right now in Mooney's 14th year here.

In the most cupcake OOC schedule ever, we are currently 4-6.

We lost to Longwood (a team that needed OT to be D3 Frostburg State), a 3-7 Wyoming, a 3-7 Hampton, and an Oral Roberts team that is 3-9 with one D1 win (now 2 against us)

Enough is enough! I don't say this because it is a one-time occurrence but because this is what Mooney has done in his 17 years of coaching. I hope those few posters left who feel that beating Coppin State is a sign of improvement or that "next year is our year" finally come to the realization that this won't happen. I don't know about you all but I am going to continue emailing Hardt (athleticdirector@richmond.edu) and calling in on radio shows to speak with Hardt any chance I get. I may not be a big money donor but damn it I am going to make sure my voice is heard. Mooney has been flushing this program down the toilet for years and we all need to come together and finally call for the change we need.

Seems like the classic case of overstaying his welcome. Just like Mike McCarthy in Green Bay. Did great things and won a lot, but has now gone way past the point that he should have left.

I believe with all my heart that Coach Mooney loves the University and is an honorable man.

However, for him to continue to collect a monthly paycheck in excess of $100,000 would be unseemly.

Sometimes there's more to life than money. Coach, you can leave now and hold your head high.

It's the right thing to do.

I believe with all my heart that Coach Mooney loves the University and is an honorable man.

However, for him to continue to collect a monthly paycheck in excess of $100,000 would be unseemly.

Sometimes there's more to life than money. Coach, you can leave now and hold your head high.

Good luck with that.

Reactions: UFA 2006

And don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed - basketball aside, Mooney is probably the perfect fit for UR, maybe if he doesn't want to coach anymore they move him into a special role in the athletic department. The guy is well educated (Princeton), from the Northeast (our biggest draw of students) and brings in good kids and represents the University very well (see story of him walking manager down the aisle at her wedding because her father had passed). He is the epitome of UR - but unfortunatley, his job is to win basketball games and make the NCAA tournament, and even he would admit he is not getting it done. I don't think he has mailed it in by any means - I just don't think he has the players to win at a high rate right now.

Interesting how the discussion on the radio today was more about WHEN to fire Mooney than WHETHER to fire Mooney or not.

It seems there is a shift in our fanbase from believing mooney can turn it around and everything will work its way out to knowing that he isn't the right man for this job. You could see it in the game on Saturday. The crowd was much more dulled than normal and even when on runs in the second half the fans never really got going.

It seems there is a shift in our fanbase from believing mooney can turn it around and everything will work its way out to knowing that he isn't the right man for this job. You could see it in the game on Saturday. The crowd was much more dulled than normal and even when on runs in the second half the fans never really got going.
Good to hear. I figured the subdued crowd was all the season ticket holders wishing they had gone to Uncle Jimmy's Christmas party but went to the game because they felt obligated to use the tickets. I watched on tv, sorta, and though I didn't have one of those $8 beers, I did enjoy a couple of rum and eggnog . Captain, captain.

Oh yes, the crowd has turned, mainly to just being apathetic. Even Mooney's little section of Access Cravers (credit to Mo on that term) weren't doing their usual "rah, rah" routine as much. I know in my section the crumbling/disgust has become much more apparent.

I know a couple people got bumped to courtside seats last game, just so they wouldn't be as empty. Just got an e-mail from the Ticket office this AM, that they are offering special reduced pricing for ODU and surprise, surprise, the ODU game has now turned into yet another Kids Club game. They are still pimping out tickets to the VCU game as well.

Oh yes, the crowd has turned, mainly to just being apathetic. Even Mooney's little section of Access Cravers (credit to Mo on that term) weren't doing their usual "rah, rah" routine as much. I know in my section the crumbling/disgust has become much more apparent.

I know a couple people got bumped to courtside seats last game, just so they wouldn't be as empty. Just got an e-mail from the Ticket office this AM, that they are offering special reduced pricing for ODU and surprise, surprise, the ODU game has now turned into yet another Kids Club game. They are still pimping out tickets to the VCU game as well.
Just tell me the baby races are going to happen at the VCU game and I'm buying my airline ticket.

One observation: CM is getting more bench involved but still goes short when he smells a possible victory. This is behavior indicative of someone fighting to keep his job. I know others have suggested he is safe but I think if he was safe, he’d have wide latitude to go long on bench time and develop guys like Sal. That’s not really happening.

Nathan Davis clap clap clap clap clap

I've had season tix for 10 years. If a change isn't made by the deadline to renew them, I'm out. It's just not fun anymore. There's nothing Mooney will do that will be any different. It's the same old same old. Good players come here and regress.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I hear the Trivago spokesguy is looking for a day gig when he’s not hocking unused hotel inventory. Let’s give that guy a shot.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Poor start to January for sure. Seeing how well Michigan is playing D I may change my mind on the assistant idea. Also really like the idea of the Furman coach.

When would we have ever thought that the Furman coach would be an upgrade at Richmond.

Hell I don't even know what region of the country or conference Furman is in.

ANY OTHER HUMAN BEING. CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP.
^That was funny. Rough outing for you guys today, caught Dayton on a high and it also wasn't a good match up. I still think UR has the pieces to beat anyone in the league, but simultaneously think they have the deficits that could cause them to lose to anyone in the league. It's going to be a long ride with Mooney this year and maybe next. He hasn't lost this team nor its spirit yet and that is the key.

If he hasn't lost the team yet, maybe he should try. The results couldn't be any worse.

When would we have ever thought that the Furman coach would be an upgrade at Richmond.

I would actually settle for a man made of fur at this point.

Reactions: plydogg

And that shows your age, sport, and geographic location.

I believe we played them in football as a conference game from 1964-1977. Sometime in Greenville, SC (Not NC)

Reactions: urfan1
And that shows your age, sport, and geographic location.

I believe we played them in football as a conference game from 1964-1977. Sometime in Greenville, SC (Not NC)

I will admit I don't follow UR football at all, but indeed I was born in 94 so those games would have happened long before I was around. And you're correct on the location as well, I'm from California. Interesting tidbit though thank you, I had no idea we had been in the same conference with them in football

I will admit I don't follow UR football at all, but indeed I was born in 94 so those games would have happened long before I was around. And you're correct on the location as well, I'm from California. Interesting tidbit though thank you, I had no idea we had been in the same conference with them in football

We were in the same conference for all sports. The Southern Conference was an early athletic conference others have split from. The ACC was an outgrowth of the Southern.

Reactions: plydogg
We were in the same conference for all sports. The Southern Conference was an early athletic conference others have split from. The ACC was an outgrowth of the Southern.
As was the SEC I believe.

I think those years may also be part of some individuals current overall sports mentality. 1/3 were FCS/CAA level teams, 2/3 were good FBS/P5 level teams. So winning 35 % was a good year.

While those only following 10 years or so, seem to have the opposite bias, high expectations.

But other conference teams should be considered sports peers, being in the top third of the conference on average, shouldn’t be an outrageous expectation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT