ADVERTISEMENT

The Official Fire Chris Mooney Thread - 2018-2019 Edition

yeah, a little bit of a snarky tone from JOC getting his jabs in, while oddly softening it in places.

yeah, a little bit of a snarky tone from JOC getting his jabs in, while oddly softening it in places.
After that article they might put JOC's photo next to passive aggressive in the dictionary. He wrote the same type of articles in regards to Gill and Rocco. On the flip side of this article, Coach Mooney championing the 2019-20 & 21-22 team dripped with desperation.

Everyone knows what I believe regarding Mooney. With that said, I have no issue with letting him bask in his moment for all time winning coach. He IS the all time winning coach and we shouldn't attempt to tarnish that. He IS also the all time losing coach which is what makes him mediocre overall.

Any chance you could copy and paste the body of the article?
JOC could read these forums and it is illegal to post articles in their entirety. Basically, JOC mentions two years of young rosters due to defections. He lists the losses to Longwood and Hampton twice in the article and makes the reader very aware of CM's long running tenure. Mooney states that next year he will have the best roster in UR history to which JOC replies that is really saying something considering...he then lists several teams. There is a tug of war going on in the article. It is Mooney with, wait until I get my great class with a healthy Sherod and JOC saying, why is the youth movement/wait until next year storyline keep happening.

I think that about sums up what was written.

Thank you. I will pick up the print edition tomorrow.
Coach Mooney says that he thinks next year the roster of players will be the best in program history. I respectfully disagree with that assessment. Desperate times call for desperate takes I guess. Maybe the administration won't fire him if they buy into the fear of losing the greatest class in UR history.

I haven't read that article, but his "take" on SSL was that next year's Junior class will be the best class in program history. This assumes Nick will get a medical redshirt. He is referring to Nick and Grant (redshirts), Blake (transfer), Jacob and Nate.

I haven't read that article, but his "take" on SSL was that next year's Junior class will be the best class in program history. This assumes Nick will get a medical redshirt. He is referring to Nick and Grant (redshirts), Blake (transfer), Jacob and Nate.
At guard we will be very deep with Blake, Andre, Jake and Jake. There will be a lot of battling going on for playing time. We could see a lot of competition between Cayo and Sal and at the 3 you have Nick, Noah and the new kid. Gates and Golden and the 5. At least based on the last 3 games, for the next two years we could become a 10 deep team for sure.

next year's junior class won't be the winningest, but that's a monster class. Gilyard, Golden, Sherod and Francis should all be 1,500 point scorers and a couple may approach 2,000. and I doubt any of us saw Cayo as the guy he's now becoming.

At guard we will be very deep with Blake, Andre, Jake and Jake. There will be a lot of battling going on for playing time. We could see a lot of competition between Cayo and Sal and at the 3 you have Nick, Noah and the new kid. Gates and Golden and the 5. At least based on the last 3 games, for the next two years we could become a 10 deep team for sure.
I have a hard time reading this so often, do you mean Grace?

FWIW

2019-2020
sr Noah Yates

jr Nick Sherod
jr Grant Golden
jr Jacob Gilyard
jr Nathan Cayo
jr Blake Francis
so Tomas Verbinskis
so Bryce Schneider
so Souleymane Koureissi
so Andre Gustavson
so Jake Wojcik
so Matt Grace
fr Tyler Burton

2020-2021
sr Nick Sherod
sr Grant Golden
sr Jacob Gilyard
sr Nathan Cayo
sr Blake Francis
jr Tomas Verbinskis
jr Bryce Schneider
jr Souleymane Koureissi
jr Andre Gustavson
jr Jake Wojcik
jr Matt Grace
so Tyler Burton

Last edited:
Mooney's "best class in program history" theme really means YOU CAN'T FIRE ME NOW. He is no dummy when it comes to keeping his job following mediocre performance.

The boom-a-rang or irony if you will, is that having more talent on hand will end up being a problem for the coach whose greatest weakness is player management.

For anyone who wants to scoff at my point, all you have to do is look back objectively at his tenure. As discussed, he has had several teams that had enough talent to make the NCAA tournament, and SHOULD have made the tournament. They failed to reach the goal due to inept player management (coaching).

Mark it down. If they bring Mooney back because of the "YOU CAN'T FIRE ME NOW we're on the cusp of greatness" theme, he will muck it up as he has done in the past. NIT at best.

And what was with the comment propping up 0-10 Coppin State last night after the game for taking world power jmu basketball to overtime. Really coach. Grabbing on to anything and everything. Wow, he comes across as desperate.

ok, don't take his word that the Gilyard, Golden, Sherod, Cayo and Francis class is loaded and possibly the best class ever. make up your own mind. come to a different conclusion.

FWIW

2019-2020
sr Noah Yates

jr Nick Sherod
jr Grant Golden
jr Jacob Gilyard
jr Nathan Cayo
jr Blake Francis
so Tomas Verbinskis
so Bryce Schneider
so Souleymane Koureissi
so Andre Gustavson
so Jake Wojcik
so Matt Grace
fr Tyler Burton

2020-2021
sr Nick Sherod
sr Grant Golden
sr Jacob Gilyard
sr Nathan Cayo
sr Blake Francis
jr Tomas Verbinskis
jr Bryce Schneider
jr Souleymane Koureissi
jr Andre Gustavson
jr Jake Wojcik
jr Matt Grace
so Tyler Burton

I could have totally missed it, but have we gotten confirmation that Yates has been allowed two years of eligibility following his grad transfer? Based on the circumstances (if I was counting correctly), I placed it in the category of things the NCAA would most likely deny.

I could have totally missed it, but have we gotten confirmation that Yates has been allowed two years of eligibility following his grad transfer? Based on the circumstances (if I was counting correctly), I placed it in the category of things the NCAA would most likely deny.
The NCAA has yet to formally approve the request made by Richmond’s compliance department, but Yates is expected to get a second season of eligibility as a Spider.
https://www.richmond.com/sports/col...cle_d348fc23-878f-50bd-9d4f-c31f95b6c381.html

And what was with the comment propping up 0-10 Coppin State last night after the game for taking world power jmu basketball to overtime. Really coach. Grabbing on to anything and everything. Wow, he comes across as desperate.
The skills it takes to stay positive and upbeat in obvious times of despair and inadequacy are ones that take years to acquire. CM certainly has the experience in this department. Sugar coating is his specialty. Probably why he wins the cookoff so much... his sauce is 60% sugar. Everyone loves it but its a slow death from diabetes.

If you listen to what he said in its entirety, it was what he told his players: Coppin State took JMU to overtime, JMU beat Radford, who has beaten both Notre Dame and Texas. He was telling his players that anything can happen in D1 basketball, keep up the intensity no matter who you are playing, I do not think he was "grabbing on", this was a statement most coaches would make to their players... nothing desperate about it.....

Guys, I appreciate not cutting and pasting articles. I personally would love to read them but if it is behind a paywall, let it stay there.
The article in question is no longer behind the paywall. I didn't see the snarky, passive-aggressive tone others have mentioned. He listed all the attrition, as he's done several times before. Aside from current events and roster turnover since last season, it's essentially the same "Chris Mooney sees a very bright future" article from Spring 2018.

The article in question is no longer behind the paywall. I didn't see the snarky, passive-aggressive tone others have mentioned. He listed all the attrition, as he's done several times before. Aside from current events and roster turnover since last season, it's essentially the same "Chris Mooney sees a very bright future" article from Spring 2018.
Yes, I read it as well like that. Mooney does have a lot of chutzpah already putting out the "just wait until next year", while in early December. Usually, this is his end of year mantra in March, right after the "we decided not to play in the CBI" article.

Expect to hear this a lot for the next few months as Mooney tries to plant this seed in Hardt's mind that he has the great team coming back and thus can't be fired for the product before him this year.

Expect to hear this a lot for the next few months as Mooney tries to plant this seed in Hardt's mind that he has the great team coming back and thus can't be fired for the product before him this year.

Yes. Now that Mooney has said that this 'class' is the best one we've ever had ... Bob and Beck will start saying it ... and Matt Smith and Robert Fish will start saying it ... and the assistants will start saying it ... and the players will start saying it .... it will bounce around the echo chamber enough over the next few months that i fear Hardt might start saying it.

Yes. Now that Mooney has said that this 'class' is the best one we've ever had ... Bob and Beck will start saying it ... and Matt Smith and Robert Fish will start saying it ... and the assistants will start saying it ... and the players will start saying it .... it will bounce around the echo chamber enough over the next few months that i fear Hardt might start saying it.
You could always hope that Hardt says.."This is the best class ever at UR, and therefore must be coached by the best coach ever at UR..."
Then thinks to himself, of the coaches available, which one is better than Tarrant?

"Best class ever" rumor making it's way down to the AD's office....

https://i.giphy.com/media/l1ugtlSwK8or4vGik/giphy.webp

Ok who wants to help me embed this GIF on here. I thought I could figure that out I can't.

giphy.webp

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MolivaManiac
Kind of like the "Big 3" this year.

next year's junior class won't be the winningest, but that's a monster class. Gilyard, Golden, Sherod and Francis should all be 1,500 point scorers and a couple may approach 2,000. and I doubt any of us saw Cayo as the guy he's now becoming.
approaching 2000? That's all time program stuff.
FWIW

2019-2020
sr Noah Yates

jr Nick Sherod
jr Grant Golden
jr Jacob Gilyard
jr Nathan Cayo
jr Blake Francis
so Tomas Verbinskis
so Bryce Schneider
so Souleymane Koureissi
so Andre Gustavson
so Jake Wojcik
so Matt Grace
fr Tyler Burton

2020-2021
sr Nick Sherod
sr Grant Golden
sr Jacob Gilyard
sr Nathan Cayo
sr Blake Francis
jr Tomas Verbinskis
jr Bryce Schneider
jr Souleymane Koureissi
jr Andre Gustavson
jr Jake Wojcik
jr Matt Grace
so Tyler Burton
2020 looks like a really promising year if there's a coach that can coach the talent on this list. The good parts are all solidly experienced and should play very well together. Can CM last long enough to have a really good team?

Yes, I read it as well like that. Mooney does have a lot of chutzpah already putting out the "just wait until next year", while in early December. Usually, this is his end of year mantra in March, right after the "we decided not to play in the CBI" article.

Yep.

"Just wait until next year"

But how come when next year gets here there seems to consistently be something that doesn't pan out as expected? Pattern in play?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT