ADVERTISEMENT

The Official Fire Chris Mooney Thread - 2018-2019 Edition

If we lose by 20 to Coppin State, we would seriously be in the running for worst D1 team this year. I think Mooney could actually be fired mid season if that happened.
Hey, they aren’t the worst team in D1 (#351). There are apparently two teams worse.

Hey, they aren’t the worst team in D1 (#351). There are apparently two teams worse.

They lost to UVA by 57 and Dayton by 40. At least they schedule better than Hampton. I'm predicting this is where Mooney breaks the record. Doesn't mean that he's turn the corner as a coach...far from it.

I'm sure when Mooney wins the record it'll be brought up on the jumbotron, but I don't think there will be a big celebration for this. And like others alluded to, the chances of Mooney being fired mid-season is very slim. So the department will do the right thing by briefly mentioning Mooney as the all time win leader and then Hardt will do the right thing by firing Mooney at the end of the year.

"The Right Thing"

At this point I don't think firing Mooney is the right thing. He should resign and forfeit his buyout. That's the right thing.
Call up Dick Tarrant, coax him out of retirement to guide the team as interim HC through the rest of a very rough year, and begin the search for the next leader of the program in earnest.

Benefits: Mooney never breaks the record. Tarrant extends his record by a few games (hopefully) against some of the remaining cupcakes on the schedule. Hopefully Gilyard doesn't leave (just a suspicion; I don't think he's in any hurry to come back). Maybe both he and Nick will medical redshirt this year.

Anna, I do understand your point, but seeing Black over there laughing most of the game was hard to take. I truly saw nothing to laugh about in that game tonight. Absolutely nothing.

K I don't know how you could NOT laugh at this game. Haven't you heard the phrase "a comedy of errors"? And it all started with Emma botching the national anthem. Maybe the Finnish anthem would have been better for her, no one would have known one way or the other.

Reactions: SpiderK
"The Right Thing"

At this point I don't think firing Mooney is the right thing. He should resign and forfeit his buyout. That's the right thing.
Call up Dick Tarrant, coax him out of retirement to guide the team as interim HC through the rest of a very rough year, and begin the search for the next leader of the program in earnest.

Benefits: Mooney never breaks the record. Tarrant extends his record by a few games (hopefully) against some of the remaining cupcakes on the schedule. Hopefully Gilyard doesn't leave (just a suspicion; I don't think he's in any hurry to come back). Maybe both he and Nick will medical redshirt this year.

Love Tarrant but he's 89 now.

My vote is for Coachfezz for interim coach. He's obviously still in his prime and knows a shitpile more about coaching than mooney does.

Reactions: KWeaver
CM Needs to go now in hopes we can build something positive among players and interim staff and keep JG and GG. This is torture for them and we need them to see hope.

If I could "like" your post twice I would have.

Come to think of it, "like" "like" There, I fixed it.

Well, I was being serious. It's obvious to anybody reading his posts that Fezz knows a lot about coaching basketball, and I'm betting he's a very good motivator too.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
If/when Mooney gets fired at the end of the season. How many players, if any, do you think will decide to transfer? And how many recruits who had committed will de-commit?

This is a question I have thought a lot about and none of us have the answer, we can only speculate. I hope we don't lose key players but I think it also will depend on who the coach we bring in is. We undoubtedly have talent but the problem is we don't have enough of it on the bench.

If/when Mooney gets fired at the end of the season. How many players, if any, do you think will decide to transfer? And how many recruits who had committed will de-commit?

This is a question I have thought a lot about and none of us have the answer, we can only speculate. I hope we don't lose key players but I think it also will depend on who the coach we bring in is. We undoubtedly have talent but the problem is we don't have enough of it on the bench.

We only have 1 recruit. While I think he looks solid, he’s not too heralded (at least by scouting services). So I wouldn’t think he’s jump, and if he did, I would hope our new coach could pick up an equivalent talented player.

Losing key pieces would hurt, for sure. But I would hope that players would want (or at least be open to) a new coach if they have 2 losing seasons in a row. If they’re that loyal to Mooney (to essentially say keep him or I’m transferring) then mark me as surprised (after 2 losing seasons). I would think it’s just as likely players transfer because of the 2 losing seasons in a row, regardless of Mooney leaving or staying.

Regardless, I hope this isn’t considered in whether or not to keep Mooney. Basketball can change on a couple players, even in the A-10, so I good enough coach/recruiter should be able to restock quickly.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Honestly plydogg I don’t care how many leave or decommit (we only have one signed scholarship anyway).

Yes, I would be disappointed if some of the core players (like JG, GG) transfer. But if people leave they leave. If that is the result of getting rid of Mooney and hiring a good coach who can bring the program back then so be it. Would you rather continue down this path?

The good news is while some kids will be disappointed, that doesn’t mean they will transfer. Some will stay because of the school and teammates. Those who already used their redshirt season, like Francis, are unlikely to waste another full year just to go somewhere else. The roster won’t be in much worse shape than it is now and a new coach if given some flexibility might be able to improve it quickly.

I always believe a new coach brought into this type of situation should be given some flexibility to bring in a few JC transfers who are eligible right away. This can help kick start the program and help recruiting long term. It can easily be done in basketball because you only need 1-2 for a couple of years before you can catch up on your recruiting classes. Plus if kids decide to leave it can help balance out the roster.

Let's remember that PQ is the real AD and Mooney is not going to be let go mid-year

Actually, the unfortunate injuries could work to Mooney's advantage if he uses the rest of the season as an extended "European Trip" and actually develops some of the younger players and they do in fact show some potential and promise while playing hard. This of course would require some adjustment to his coaching philosophy to give them a chance to be competitive in the remaining games

The argument then is with "Big 3" in tact for the next 2 years and we have Sal, Wojo, Grace, Andre & Cato forming a nucleus of 8. With the unfortunate season behind them, he could make an argument for "one more year". If all of this happens along with the decision maker(s) involved and the alternative being a 3 year buy out, I can see it happening. It is a risk I think Q would be willing to take even if there was a one year loss of bb related revenue which would probably not equate to 1 year of Mooney's salary.

I have some fears along the same lines here. JG and Nick are out for some period; we play the kids; Coach makes changes to help them; they are OK (but we still lose a lot); JG and NS come back and we are somewhat better overall and do OK in A-10 for a stretch with "full health" and somebody in charge looks and says "one more year - - - we're really close to having it turned around".

Then I cry and throw things and curse. The "believers" talk up our progress, our recruits and our depth and proclaim it an NCAA year. I cry some more. We come back "fully loaded" and ignore the changes we made and revert to the "Mooney way," then lose the first OOC game to Guilford by 23 at home and I turn my anger towards Hardt (and PQ?) because he needed to NOT fall in this trap!

Then we "Rinse and Repeat" again!

Let's remember that PQ is the real AD and Mooney is not going to be let go mid-year

Actually, the unfortunate injuries could work to Mooney's advantage if he uses the rest of the season as an extended "European Trip" and actually develops some of the younger players and they do in fact show some potential and promise while playing hard. This of course would require some adjustment to his coaching philosophy to give them a chance to be competitive in the remaining games

The argument then is with "Big 3" in tact for the next 2 years and we have Sal, Wojo, Grace, Andre & Cato forming a nucleus of 8. With the unfortunate season behind them, he could make an argument for "one more year". If all of this happens along with the decision maker(s) involved and the alternative being a 3 year buy out, I can see it happening. It is a risk I think Q would be willing to take even if there was a one year loss of bb related revenue which would probably not equate to 1 year of Mooney's salary.
I believe there's a lot of potential accuracy in what you said. I wondered some of the same prior to reading your post. The irony is that the tea leaves seemed to point at a change given what we've seen over the years, last year, the horrible start this year, and end of contract in sight. But again, Q & Hardt are the wild cards here.

One point I'll make regarding the "nucleus of 8" you mentioned. There seems to be some promise here, but we know Mooney's history in developing young players. It seems more don't develop than do and end up either riding the pine or finding a way off the team.

I just don't have any confidence left in anything to do with Mooney, period.

that "nucleus of 8", plus Francis and Burton. that sounds good.

whew. thanks for talking me off the ledge guys. I'm back on board for "wait til next year".

Reactions: SpiderK
that "nucleus of 8", plus Francis and Burton. that sounds good.

whew. thanks for talking me off the ledge guys. I'm back on board for "wait til next year".
Sman- Being joined at the hip with Q has given you life!

I just want to clarify that my post was not made as a reason to keep Mooney. I wasn't theorizing that we keep him so that we don't lose players. I was just interested in others takes on the question because I'm hoping we don't lose anybody obviously. I just also wonder how attractive we will look to any of these up and coming coaches and I would hate to see us make a stale hire instead of an exciting one.

Reactions: spider23
Plydogg, I understood what you posted and what you say is more reason to cut ties with Mooney as soon as possible. These kids are smart and know things aren't working out. An assistant handles the rest of the year. The kids realize a change will come and hopefully less interest in transferring and a more wait and see attitude.

Remember, transfer or stay, they still have to deal with a new coach. Plus I believe most players would rather not have to sit out a year. These players also appear considerate enough to say all the right things with Mooney's departure.

Lastly, I believe any up and coming coach sees what talent (8-9 players mentioned coming back) and the line will be out the door in wanting to be the next UR coach.

Reactions: keefusb
As I recall, when Mooney came in we had but one player immediately onboard who came to be a major contributor, Ryan Butler.
The delay in rising to respectability was not immediate but it was endurable because we felt that renewed success was just around the corner. I am more than willing to undergo such a period of austerity again if we have reason to be positive about our future. I do not think that such a feeling of positivity is possible with CM as our coach.

Last edited:
My general belief is that guys with two years of eligibility or less stay, those with more are the ones you risk losing. I don’t think nick goes elsewhere after two years here, in his hometown and coming off an injury.

Jacob May still suffer from being the small guy where bigger programs shy away from a very undersized guard, in spite of his obvious talents.

Grant is my biggest concern because big guys are rare and he was underrecruited due to his high school injury. Schools would be interested in him.

Any of the younger guys like Sal or Andre would be candidates, particularly if they don’t get playing time.

Overall, I think it’s a comparatively low risk.

Nucleus of 8? We got one guy coming back from an ACL tear, Sal and Andre are unknowns, and Matt Grace? Do these guys really factor into thinking that Richmond could be a top tier A-10 program?

Transfers happen when coaches change. It stinks. However, they stink now with these players. I’d rather have a chance at having a decent program a few years down the road than the hopelessness thatwe have right now.

I hope most of the key guys stay but I hope more that we hire a great coach. Things will fall into place quickly if we do.

It's going to be eight years without an NCAA bid. Davidson, Dayton, St.Louis, St.Joseph's are above us in the conference. I don't see much hope in postseason play. One win against a bottom ACC team doesn't save your season.

I hope most of the key guys stay but I hope more that we hire a great coach. Things will fall into place quickly if we do.
Agree completely EL. If we can get a home run hire, we could right this ship quickly. Lot different than football where you have a huge roster to recruit and acclimate to your style and coaching. New philosophies and a couple key guys can generate positive momentum quickly.

Reactions: mr.spider

STFU, Truthers and Mooney. You have foisted this just wait til next year argument on us for 8 straight years now. We are not idiots. I honestly don't how anyone can buy this same old line year after year and not have some major cognitive dissonance going on here. Pull, you damn heads out of the sand already. We are being sold a bill of goods.

Reactions: keefusb and whampas
STFU, Truthers and Mooney. You have foisted this just wait til next year argument on us for 8 straight years now. We are not idiots. I honestly don't how anyone can buy this same old line year after year and not have some major cognitive dissonance going on here. Pull, you damn heads out of the sand already. We are being sold a bill of goods.
I think Mooney should go. I also think our team looks impressive the next two years. They’re not mutually exclusive.

Also, 9Legs’ scenario is very plausible. You don’t have to be a “Truther” to point out a likely scenario.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
I go by the old saying:
Fool me once, shame on you
fool me twice, shame on me
Fool me thrice, shame on me
Fool me four times, shame on me again (DAMN YOU 23!!!!)
Fool me five times, shame on PQ
Fool me six/seven times, beginning to think Hardt thinks we should STFU and act like dumb Iowans (apologies to any smart, or not quite dumb Iowans on the board)

I go by the old saying:
Fool me once, shame on you
fool me twice, shame on me
Fool me thrice, shame on me
Fool me four times, shame on me again (DAMN YOU 23!!!!)
Fool me five times, shame on PQ
Fool me six/seven times, beginning to think Hardt thinks we should STFU and act like dumb Iowans (apologies to any smart, or not quite dumb Iowans on the board)
Speaking of Iowa, when they played Stanford in a bowl game a few years ago, the Stanford band played the jingle from the Farmer’sOnly.com ads (dating site for farmers) at halftime. Iowa fans were pretty pisssed apparently, to the point of a couple of Iowa’s state senators drafting a bill to cut all future ties with Stanford. Thankfully, I do not believe the bill was passed.

Agree completely EL. If we can get anyone in the world other than Mooney, we could right this ship quickly. Lot different than football where you have a huge roster to recruit and acclimate to your style and coaching. New philosophies and a couple key guys can generate positive momentum quickly.

Fixed it for you.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
I couldn’t find Hardt in the stands. Wonder if he saw the student singing the National Anthem forget the words twice and throw the microphone on the scorers table and walk off. The crowd valiantly tried to save her, but to no avail.

Poor student... :(

This article was interesting in many ways. Coach Mooney was attempting to validate his job while JOC was wondering out loud why the youth movement occurred again this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT