ADVERTISEMENT

The Official Fire Chris Mooney Thread - 2018-2019 Edition

Why do we even have an athlete director? I mean as lousy as our two revenue sports are, what does it take to get OFF YOUR ASS and do something Hardt.
This is a good point. Hardt is fairly new, but our two main sports are on a nose dive, so he needs to do something. His track record with football at Bucknell is fair to poor. If he hired Nathan Davis at Bucknell that is a positive in that he may be able to make a similar hire here. Mooney has recruited a roster that may very well have some decent players, but not near the size and athleticism needed to compete at the top of the A10. Watching some of that U Buffalo game last night, that was a roster that could compete and play defense. Striking difference.

Frustrating as hell to have the tallest, strongest guy on the court on our side and have him on the perimeter all game. I understand we have to keep the lane open for all of those layups we get on our black door cuts. How did that work last night? I didn’t see one back cut that led to an easy basket, yet we didn’t put grant on the box much at all. Crazy

There are some players on our squad I really like. And I really like Mooney as a person. But this was pathetic. I hope that everyone (players and coaches) learn and rebound from this and we go on a run. But again, we can’t be losing these games.
You used the word "rebound" in your post. That is a banned word in Mooney's playbook.

I read somewhere that Hardy refused an extension for Mooney this year. Any truth to that?
There was an article this summer by JOC that he wasn’t offered an extension. I don’t know that that’s the same as refusing one. If I had turned in CMs performance last year, I would not feel very empowered to ask for an extension.

Reactions: KWeaver
I’m sorry, but I don’t know what #FMM means.
Does that mean you haven’t ordered your stocking stuffer?
The link there shows what it is.

Or does it mean your are in the Administration?:D

As long as I don’t have to kill anyone, I’d like to be part of the FMM.
I hearby induct you into #FMM. We are a kind and gentle group that wishes change. We have stayed quiet for years so that Mooney and his assistants can build nest eggs. Mooney should have enough money to live comfortably and pay his kids tuition costs. He can always work more if he has to. But for now, we advocate change.

Wondering what people think:

W-L record for:

Mooney fired in-season (assume fires before conference schedule - so non-conference)
What you would want?
What you think the school would do?

Mooney fired at the end of the season (full season record)
What you would want?
What you think the school would do?

Ex,
I would fired Mooney in-season if he is 4-9 or worse out of conference or at the end of season if he is 15-16 or worse.

I think UR will fire Mooney in-season if he is 1-12 or worse out of conference or at the end of season if he is 9-22 or worse.

there's no scenario where he's fired in season. I could only see that if there was an assistant on staff that we want to look at on an interim basis. I don't think we have that. CM gets this full year ... more if it goes well, as unlikely as that seems after one game.

Reactions: SpiderK
there's no scenario where he's fired in season. I could only see that if there was an assistant on staff that we want to look at on an interim basis. I don't think we have that. CM gets this full year ... more if it goes well, as unlikely as that seems after one game.
Ok, I think that's an absurd statement. If he goes 0-13 to start the year, they'd almost be obligated to fire him in season.

Admittedly, it would be totally out of character for UR, but I think the noise would be deafening if our OOC is that bad and the AD doesn't make a move.

Ok, I think that's an absurd statement. If he goes 0-13 to start the year, they'd almost be obligated to fire him in season.

Admittedly, it would be totally out of character for UR, but I think the noise would be deafening if our OOC is that bad and the AD doesn't make a move.
Now I know what I want for Christmas.

you're firing him and making Rob Jones HC? for what? because you're pissed off? it accomplishes nothing. CM finishes the year. if it's bad enough, he'll be fired then and we'll start the process.

you're firing him and making Rob Jones HC? for what? because you're pissed off? it accomplishes nothing. CM finishes the year. if it's bad enough, he'll be fired then and we'll start the process.

It sends the message this kind of losing will no longer be tolerated.

If we go 0-13 against this pathetic OOC schedule, I hope he would just resign on his own. That would be about the most humiliating exhibition a D1 team at our level ever experienced.

Coming from my position as someone who would have fired him two years ago, I also would have fired him after the first game. But for the purposes of this exercise, I would say 4-9 deserves firing, as does any overall losing record this season as a whole.

SpiderB is correct that at some point, you need to take a stand to show the stakeholders and players/recruits that you expect results. If we go 3-10 in the OOC and keep him around, what is that saying? "Hey, we've sucked for a year and a half and underachieved for 7 in a row.... but maybe THIS will be the half-season when he finally figures it out!"

Reactions: KWeaver
For what it’s worth, I don’t think we should be looking to embarrass Mooney, so something drastic (in record or other) would have to happen for us to pull the trigger mid-season. For the record, I’m at 3-10, though I think it would have to be worse for the administration.

Also, I say we shouldn’t embarrass him for a couple of reasons: 1) like it or not, he has the second most wins in program history and likely will have the most by the time he is let go. I think we’ll get the wrong type of press for canning someone with that type of record; 2) he is genuinely a good person, which is evidenced by everyone who has met him and specifically all of his former player who almost universally love the guy (sorry D Will...); 3) He did bring us some glory early on. That sweet 16 run is still sweet to me. Let’s not pretend like he’s been an abject failure; and 4) and most importantly, we should have class as an institution and I don’t want us to be the school that does a coach/player dirty. An example is how the Buck situation was handled, where we didn’t throw the kid under the bus (at least in my opinion). I think Mooney deserves to be let go with class. I think the argument could be made that it should’ve been done by now, but after 1 game or a slow (and not pathetic) start is something I don’t want Richmond to be known for.

To me, it’s both having class and showing future coaches that we have class. And I guess mostly I see this as a sad end to a promising start, and am not reveling in a firing that is becoming increasingly definite.

No one wants to embarrass anyone. But we can't just putz around for years waiting for the right moment and the right way to fire him. We've already waited too long and it's damaging the program in obvious ways. At some point, he should be more embarrassed to keep coaching the team than we should be about firing him mid-season.

firing him mid season helps no one and puts the team in turmoil. I can't believe I'm even having this conversation. some of you have gotten irrational. we're 0-1.

firing him mid season helps no one and puts the team in turmoil. I can't believe I'm even having this conversation. some of you have gotten irrational. we're 0-1.
We just lost at home to Longwood. We went 12-20 last year and then lost two starters. In case you hadn’t noticed, the team is already in turmoil, and Mooney created it.

There are reasons to remove a failing head coach that have nothing to do with saving the season, including looking like you care.

People respond in all kinds of interesting ways when mobs become unruly. Case in point: Dr. William Cooper.

I like Marcus Jenkins much more than Rob Jones as both a basketball coach and as a leader. I really hope Jones gets fired whenever Mooney does.

Reactions: Eight Legger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT