ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech, showdown in Lubbock, Texas

Richmond averages more snow annually than Lubbock does.

People are tougher in Texas. If you drive a bit slower and don't follow too closely, driving in snow is really not a big deal. It does not require any special training, just a modicum of common sense and precaution. Sorry this is just a displaced Northern pet peeve of mine living now in Richmond.

If you watch the news the tuff people in West and up North don't appear to be any better at handling the snow than anyone else. My pet peeve is always being told by displaced Northeners that I can't deal with snow:cool: Wanna race.

A lot of it is the winter weather infrastructure though, which northern cities have but Richmond and Lubbock don't.

http://lubbockonline.com/local-news...gering-snow-ice-still-posing-threats-more-come

And it's not just snow...there's ice too. Without proper treatment, I don't care where you're from...you're going to slide all over the place.

(Speaking as a displaced Buffalonian living in Raleigh, where a few inches of snow is enough to paralyze the area for days. The rumble of plows and salt trucks that made things passable within a few hours back in Buffalo just doesn't exist here.)

Special-App-003-L.JPG

Reactions: Ram Bal
The problem is around here (Richmond) we normally don't get nice, fluffy snow that you can just plow through. We get the heavy, wet, snow/ice mix that re-freezes overnight and makes your morning commute akin to a slip and slide. Not saying that people here don't lose their minds when it snows but the ice factor can be nasty.

I'm really glad this game will be played, it really is a no lose situation for us. If we win the game, great, another huge feather in our cap. If we lose, even badly, it still helps our rpi/sos, etc to have even played the game. Plus the committee would not likely hold a loss against us given the circumstances surrounding making this game happen. Not to be used as an excuse for losing, but when they look at a team's resume, injuries, etc are taken into account and I have no doubt that arriving halfway across the country just hours before tipoff would be weighed into the equation.

That said, let's just go win this thing anyway.

That presser from Texas Tech was just an universal cover your rear for insurance purposes type of release. It's a snowstorm that ended yesterday. Big snowstorms in West Texas are not that unusual. I realize in Richmond we have an irrational fear of snow but in most areas accustomed to winter weather, a snowstorm is something that causes at most minor disruption in business.
Believe me, this was not a routine storm for Lubbock. There are 2-3' ice ruts on the surface streets still. As others have mentioned, we really don't have the infrastructure to deal with this. Here's to a good, injury-free game!

Reactions: urfan1
Believe me, this was not a routine storm for Lubbock. There are 2-3' ice ruts on the surface streets still. As others have mentioned, we really don't have the infrastructure to deal with this. Here's to a good, injury-free game!
techsloth, thanks for the information. Hope for a good game and safety for all in attendance. OSC

Reactions: Ram Bal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT