ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech, showdown in Lubbock, Texas

TBSpyder

Graduate Assistant
Sep 24, 2011
I understand the players have all left to spend Christmas at home. The team is going to meet in Lubbock on the 27th. Coaches will certainly put a lot of time into prepping for TT, but it doesn't sound like the team will have much time to really prep for an opponent, that I don't think we have ever faced before.

A win, would certainly enhance our resume.

+1. This is an important game. However, it is not a "make-or-break" game, largely because we have played well enough, so far, to be able to lose this game, and still meet our end-of season objectives. If this game were being played at the end of our OOC last season, it would be far more "make-or-break,"

Two keys will likely be to get plenty of rest, and arrive at this game with a far higher energy-level than we had at Florida. If we come into the game healthy, and well-rested, and with the attitude we have seen for most of the season, we should give this TT team all they can handle. Can we win this game? Absolutely. Will we? It all depends on whether we bring it, attitude-wise, and energy-wise. We have reacted well, so far, to slow starts (like our last game against Presbitarian, and earlier in the season against West Virginia), so I don't see us "folding the tent," even if the first few minutes are not pretty. This team has shown a very mature attitude, and knows we are capable of "clawing back," if needed. Just need to stay focused, and confident, and play hard, for the 40-minutes.

The spiders are a very good team. I think we should start believing that they should win most games from here on out. That said tt has built a solid resume and I'm surprised they are not ranked. Haven't played powerhouses but have beat solid teams like Hawaii minnesotA. We have to make ft's though and come out aggressive and confident. If we can win this one it will be our best ooc win imo.

The spiders are a very good team. I think we should start believing that they should win most games from here on out. That said tt has built a solid resume and I'm surprised they are not ranked. Haven't played powerhouses but have beat solid teams like Hawaii minnesotA. We have to make ft's though and come out aggressive and confident. If we can win this one it will be our best ooc win imo.

This may be our toughest game until Foggy Bottom. We start a stretch of 9 games where 8 are tough but all are winnable.

Reactions: gcarter52
This is the type of game that will tell us if this spider team is different from the past few years. They have already showed promise but this is the type of game to win if you want to get respect as a mid major. After how the team has performed the past few weeks there are no moral victories on the 29th.

This is the type of game that will tell us if this spider team is different from the past few years. They have already showed promise but this is the type of game to win if you want to get respect as a mid major. After how the team has performed the past few weeks there are no moral victories on the 29th.
Agree 100%. This is a winnable game. No gimme, no guarantee, but winnable.

Good news. While the Texas Tech game is on Fox Sports Southwest, it is available here in Florida, on Fox Sports Sun.

More good news, it appears that my cable system is adding CBS Sports, so I will be able to see the game at VCU. It IS a very merry Christmas here.

Last edited:
+1 Notahomer. Agree that it is winnable, but will require a strong effort, and some of the same resolve that we have seen a lot of from this "new and improved" edition of the team. We can win this game, and should go into it with some "guarded" confidence (pun intended).

Can anybody share the broadcast (TV) info for the Richmond area for the TT game? Will it be broadcast, and if so what will be the Verizon Fios and Comcast channels?

+1 Notahomer. Agree that it is winnable, but will require a strong effort, and some of the same resolve that we have seen a lot of from this "new and improved" edition of the team. We can win this game, and should go into it with some "guarded" confidence (pun intended).

Can anybody share the broadcast (TV) info for the Richmond area for the TT game? Will it be broadcast, and if so what will be the Verizon Fios and Comcast channels?

So far just the first post here https://richmond.forums.rivals.com/threads/texas-tech.5546/#post-84851

Texas Tech's best player, Zach Smith (6' 8", 215 forward, 10.4 points, 7 rebounds), played for Plano - East the rival high school for TJ Cline Plano -West. Zach is the third leading scorer and leading rebounder for Tech. OSC

Last edited:
I have dishnetwork... Doesn't look like Fox Sports SW is available via dishnetwork here... Any ideas on TV viewing?

I have dishnetwork... Doesn't look like Fox Sports SW is available via dishnetwork here... Any ideas on TV viewing?
Look at other Fox Sports channels. Here in Florida, I find that the game is on Fox Sun.

Hopefully, everyone is in Lubbock, and we've had a good, physical practice today. This is where coaches earn the big bucks, prepping a team after a holiday layoff, for a very good TT team. Goal should be to feed the ball to Terry and TJ. Sometimes, the game is that simple.

Bad news. No one could get into Lubbock. Not sure if any of the 4 Texas guys got out of home locations. Half or so of the team is here in Richmond and will practice in RC in the morning and then try to fly to Lubbock. Lubbock has heavy snow. Not good as they guys who did not make it here will touch the ball for first time in shootaround Tues. No real chance to work on game plan.

Please confirm that bongturk and MidloTrader both local Richmond posters. Just want to confirm that the channels (Comcast 844, and Verizon 79) are the correct channels for Richmond area residents. If not, please jump in and post the correct channels for locals.

Bad news. No one could get into Lubbock. Not sure if any of the 4 Texas guys got out of home locations. Half or so of the team is here in Richmond and will practice in RC in the morning and then try to fly to Lubbock. Lubbock has heavy snow. Not good as they guys who did not make it here will touch the ball for first time in shootaround Tues. No real chance to work on game plan.
Yikes. Did UR not learn anything from the travel debacle earlier this year on the way to New Hampshire?

Not sure what there is to learn when flights get cancelled and travel is nearly impossible. Hope that we get the game in though.

Looks like all flights into Lubbock through late afternoon today are canceled.

Third biggest storm on record for Lubbock...11.2" so far.

Hopefully the Texas Tech players went home for Christmas too and having similiarly delayed travel in getting back to campus. If neither team has adequate prep time due to weather, I'd say that is a wash.

I'm going out on a limb to suggest that the game will not happen tomorrow, and probably not at all.

Absolutely no news coverage of the game. All I read about is the bowl game. An 87 high school tournament starts tomorrow morning in Lubbock, with some out of state schools, and it is reported that none have cancelled.

There will be pressure to play the game. But I'd favor cancelling the game, if our guys don't get together until tonight, after being home all week.

I hope that we play this game. It would be great for our RPI (win or lose) and I think we have a good chance of winning this one. Given the fact the other team probably hasn't prepared that much either, and the fact that many fans won't be there because of the blizzard, time of day, and football game, it would be a great opportunity to sneak out a BCS win against a top 10 RPI opponent on the road.

Last edited:
Supposedly the team members in Richmond are practicing this morning before heading out to Lubbock this afternoon.

Any word on who is in Richmond and who was supposed to be heading straight to Lubbock? Any chance we were able to get some of the direct to Lubbock guys rerouted to Richmond over the weekend so they could get in some practice time and travel together?

As of right now game is on but by this evening if flights delaying across the nation due to bad weather don't change the team will not travel. Team may flights out early Tuesday am .

We have family in town and can't leave because they will miss connecting flights due to delays.

Charter for the kids here in Richmond? Come on, one of you rich guys step up to the plate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT