ADVERTISEMENT

Possible minutes

VT4700

Graduate Assistant
Dec 16, 2016
Let's say the BC game is close, and we only play our top 9 guys. What will the minutes look like? I am thinking:

King 35
Hunt 35
Bigs 30
Quinn 28
Noyes 18
Roche 16
Dji 16
Walz 12
Tyne 10

* For any close game, I could see the top 4 and bottom 2 guys consistently getting these minutes, regardless of opponent and style of play. Quinn and Walz will likely combine for 40, and King, Hunt, and Tyne should combine for 80. King and Hunt need to play a lot of minutes, and I think we need Quinn and Bigs out there a lot.

That leaves about 50 minutes for Noyes, Dji, and Roche, which I think could vary based on opponent, style of play, whether we need more offense or defense out there, and how these guys are playing. So, each could get 20+ minutes some games, but also might only get 10 or so. So far Dji has brought some good offense. If that continues, no question his minutes will be good, but even if the offense is not there some games, his defense will get him some good time. With Roche, I think his 3 ball is too important to not give him good minutes. That leaves Noyes, who I think is still a little bit of a question mark, but not because he hasn't played well. He has hit a couple of 3s and gotten 4 rebounds a game in only 15 mpg, which is a definite positive. I like what I have seen so far, and he could be a productive starter, but the uncertainty comes from the fact he didn't have to do much our 1st 2 games, so we will need to see what type of impact he will bring in a close game.

Reactions: gcarter52
It will be interesting to see how minutes pan out. In the first two games Mooney could put anyone from the top ~10 in the depth chart on the court and we dominated.

Minutes may depend on who has the hot hand, or whether we need defense or offense in the game.

Reactions: urfan1 and VT4700
our bench has been very good. as good as King and Hunt have been, we don't need to wear them down with 35 mpg if the backups are proving reliable.

Dji is doing more with his minutes than Noyes is so far.
Roche is shooting 56% from 3 and playing good defense.
if Tyne starts hitting shots, he'll deserve more time too.

Reactions: urfan1
I hear you Sman, but is 35 mpg really too much? With 4 media timeouts and another 2-3 minute rest each half, they should be fine. They just impact the game both offensively and defensively so much I want them out there a lot, especially as the competition gets better. Jacob and Blake combined for 69.3 mpg in 2020 and 71.1 in 2021 and never wore down.

Last edited:
I tend to agree that our smaller guards should be able to play big minutes. If Dji plays like he did last game I see him having more minutes. First sub then stay on for a long period. If Bigs gets early fouls, I could actually see Harris getting a chance, and if he can do well getting 8-10 minutes.
Interested to see if Noyes has an impact. As someone noted, has not really had to do much 1st 2 games.

Reactions: VT4700
It looks to me like Noyes has the athleticism and shooting to be very good. Hopefully getting more game time will help him take the next step.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT4700 and spider23
Yes, Noyes is kind of the forgotten man. But he has a lot of potential. Still think he needs to show he has more to his game then hops and 3's. Nothing wrong with those, but would like to see him more out on the break and getting physical rebounds in traffic. I think the sample size is way too small to see what he will be able to do or not do this season. Hopefully this is a break out game for him, we could use 12 points and 8 rebounds in this one.

I hear you Sman, but is 35 mpg really too much?
agreed, some players can handle more than others. King and Hunt may be the type.

coach has to figure that out. if they're effective at 40 mpg, let's go. if they're better getting a few breaks, let's do that.

Those look like solid numbers. I’d say that I’d reduce Tyne’s minutes in close games and maybe Walz’s as well by 2-3 minutes each. I can see scenarios where King and Hunt play virtually the entire 2nd half each and that Walz sees 6m in a first half but only 4m in 2nd half. Maybe we even go very small and press for 2 defensive possessions with Dji, Bigs and Noyes (or Harris) as the 3/4/5 and that eats 2m of rest for Quinn.

Our wing rotation looks good with Noyes, Bigs, Roche and Dji. If they can keep hitting 3s and driving there are a lot of good mix and match lineups. Any of those guys could see 25+ minutes in a given game IMO.

Would like to see more of an off the bounce game from Aiden to use his athleticism. Not sure of his handle still. I do feel like he’s been in the mix on defensive glass, especially considering his total minutes thus far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT