ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech, showdown in Lubbock, Texas

The storyline keeps changing. Does anyone know what is going on? TJ is where? Terry is in Richmond? Do any of our Spiders have sky diving experience. Maybe we could parachute them onto the Texas Tech campus. That would be as dramatic an entry as is possible.

I'm assuming Houston was accessible but Mission (Pistol) & Plano (TJ) weren't, so those are the 2 players still at home.

So does someone drive those two to the game?

This is a pretty crazy situation, all things considered. What happens if the team gets out to Lubbock but two of its players cannot. Would they play the game in that situation?

I guess in retrospect, I should have checked TT's schedule before I suggested that the game might not happen at all. They don't play again until Saturday (and neither do we), so worst case I would think the game could be played Wednesday or even Thursday if necessary.

As for 97's question, that's a good one. I would hope that if that happened, TT would agree to delay the game rather than force us to play shorthanded. But I would suspect that if they wanted to force us to play, they could.

Mission to Lubbock is a 9-hour drive in good weather. Five hours from Plano.

Don't know how good of shape the roads are going to be in by end of the day. I assume we'll continue to try to fly them in late tonight or early tomorrow.

I agree if the game doesn't happen tomorrow, I think it could easily be played Wednesday or Thursday, since both teams don't play until Saturday. Wednesday-Saturday games are normal during conference games. Probably kills TV viewing option though if they delay.

Game was originally for 9pm Tues. (8 Central?) but moved earlier for their 9pm bowl game in Houston.

We play half past noon Saturday, so assume we would rather play Wednesday instead of Thursday.

end of calendar year for 2013 and 2014 our rpi was 93 and 105 respectively. We're at 74 now. I'd like to play the game and have a chance to improve on that but if we don't it won't be devastating.

I agree if the game doesn't happen tomorrow, I think it could easily be played Wednesday or Thursday, since both teams don't play until Saturday. Wednesday-Saturday games are normal during conference games. Probably kills TV viewing option though if they delay.
Only two Big 12 games on Wed. One on ESPNU and Iowa St vs Coppin ST. So if delayed (less likely now) then FS-SW could still show it.

Texas Tech receiving votes in both polls this week, so that only reaffirms that this would be a great win to add to our resume. Also, Saint Joseph's got votes in the AP poll. I don't want to think too far ahead but beating Tech and Saint Joe's might get us votes for next week's polls...

Not really a fan of having two of our players trying to drive themselves five hours through the snow to get to the game. Not sure what the alternatives are, but this seems like it's a far-from-ideal one.

Who knows what is going on? Apparently, we have no players in Lubbock, as originally reported on this thread. I'd prefer a Wednesday date as well. But, there is tremendous uncertainty here. I would think driving from Dallas to Lubbock, more problematic than flying there, given weather conditions.

Having spent about 6 years in Texas, can tell that there is very little traffic between Dallas and Lubbock. Hopefully, the guys will be just fine. Would much rather drive than fly under the circumstances. OSC

I'm sure there isn't much traffic – they had a blizzard! And, just a hunch – Texas probably doesn't have a ton of snowplows. Driving five hours on snowy/icy roads or flying in a plane piloted by trained professionals. Hmmmm....

I'm sure there isn't much traffic – they had a blizzard! And, just a hunch – Texas probably doesn't have a ton of snowplows. Driving five hours on snowy/icy roads or flying in a plane piloted by trained professionals. Hmmmm....

I thought they were renting a snow cat with a limo driver...

Texas Tech has now announced free admission to game, if you can get there.

TJ tweeted "Lubbock bound" at some point overnight. I think Jesse may have gone from SA to Dallas to travel in with TJ.

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/122815aaa.html

Part of the Texas Tech article -
LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech athletics is encouraging fans to use extreme caution and safety when traveling to United Supermarkets Arena for Tuesday's game versus Richmond.

"We want to emphasize the safety and the well-being of our fans as our first and foremost concern," Texas Tech Director of Athletics Kirby Hocutt said. "Although this is an important non-conference game for our team, we ask our fans to use extreme caution and stay at home if you are unable to make it safely to United Supermarkets Arena."

Question - how do you find out you are unable to make it safely? Guess you have to make the attempt to get there.......................

Reactions: SpiderFan26
comments like that make me concerned for the safety of both teams, officials and other involved

FWIW, the game will be televised on MASN2 in the Washington/Baltimore area starting at 5:00pm. OSC

I am curious what was communicated to Jesse and TJ from the school. Was it: "Find a way to get there, no matter what" or was it "If you feel that you can make it safely, feel free to try, but otherwise, don't" or something else? This is an important game, but if one of these kids had gotten into a serious accident on the way up there, I think we'd all ask whether it was worth it.

Glad to hear you guys made it!!! Are Jesse, TJ and the rest of the team there? OSC

That presser from Texas Tech was just an universal cover your rear for insurance purposes type of release. It's a snowstorm that ended yesterday. Big snowstorms in West Texas are not that unusual. I realize in Richmond we have an irrational fear of snow but in most areas accustomed to winter weather, a snowstorm is something that causes at most minor disruption in business.

97, agree completely. Don't like snow much, but here in Maryland where I live, the roads are cleared shortly after the snowfall has ended. Places south of here generally do not have the equipment to do so. OSC

Not to discount concerns over safety but now that they are there safelyt, a little adversity and short window of time for preparation could be a valuable experience come tournament time.

That presser from Texas Tech was just an universal cover your rear for insurance purposes type of release. It's a snowstorm that ended yesterday. Big snowstorms in West Texas are not that unusual. I realize in Richmond we have an irrational fear of snow but in most areas accustomed to winter weather, a snowstorm is something that causes at most minor disruption in business.

Richmond averages more snow annually than Lubbock does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT