ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday's game sold out

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
We have a very loyal fan base and the Robin Center game experience is very strong regardless of any audio visual issues. Look forward to Sunday. Go Spiders!

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Yep, this is proof that our 11-12 (4-6), 12th place* season to date has been a rousing success! Come for the family entertainment, but please don't look at those big digital numbers on those boards ... or those over there... or... you know what? Those boards don't work anymore! Sorry about that, we really wish we could figure out why this keeps happening, but in the meantime, can we interest you in a cold dog or perhaps some popcorn from yesterday? Oh shucks, we're actually all out of that. Yes, I know the game only started 5 minutes ago.

*before tiebreakers

Reactions: 8legs1dream
It surprises me that this game is sold out especially two days in advance. A weird time on an odd day for us to play, an opponent that is usually not very good, and a home team that is ALSO not very good.:confused:

We have a very loyal fan base and the Robin Center game experience is very strong regardless of any audio visual issues. Look forward to Sunday. Go Spiders!
you posted last week something about us needing change at the top after one of our many recent losses and I asked you to expound on that and you never did. Can you do it now?
That would be a fascinating read.

Kids Club and STH bring a friend day. Sold out, but don’t ask the per capita price per ticket.
What matters, attendance-wise, is the seats are full. Would you have the average ticket price be $10 more, and have the place half-empty?

Does a sellout, including some younger fans who might develop a love for UR basketball as kids, or some potential adult fans attending a game with friends who are fervent Spider boosters, not help us?

JFC, yes, the season has been tremendously disappointing. But that's a different subject altogether. Some of you can't even be happy when something good happens. And yes, filling the seats is a good thing, it shows there is interest in the program even when we are underperforming.

Some of the same people who bitch about Robins Stadium being half-filled bitch when the Robins Center is sold out.

What matters, attendance-wise, is the seats are full. Would you have the average ticket price be $10 more, and have the place half-empty?

Does a sellout, including some younger fans who might develop a love for UR basketball as kids, or some potential adult fans attending a game with friends who are fervent Spider boosters, not help us?

JFC, yes, the And yes, filling the seats is a good thing, it shows there is interest in the program even when we are underperforming.

Some of the same people who bitch about Robins Stadium being half-filled bitch when the Robins Center is sold out.

JFC, yes, the season has been tremendously disappointing. But that's a different subject altogether. Some of you can't even be happy when something good happens. And yes, filling the seats is a good thing, it shows there is interest in the program even when we are underperforming.

What part of my post you quoted was “bitching”?

Totally agree. I think the point though, adjacent as it may be, is that some folks contend that we have massive fan ship and those fans are all happy with the direction of the program, because, “attendance”.

Using sellouts as a barometer for program success has its place of course but it is far outpaced by things like wins, rivalry wins, and tournament appearances. We can build the fan base and also perhaps acknowledge that it doesn’t mean we’re on the right path.

Totally agree. I think the point though, adjacent as it may be, is that some folks contend that we have massive fan ship and those fans are all happy with the direction of the program, because, “attendance”.

Using sellouts as a barometer for program success has its place of course but it is far outpaced by things like wins, rivalry wins, and tournament appearances. We can build the fan base and also perhaps acknowledge that it doesn’t mean we’re on the right path.
If our fans are still showing up, they are still supporting the program, and not hating it or being done with it, like many on here are. If the hate that comes from every thread on here were as common outside of this board as some say, we wouldn't have sell outs ever. We just wouldn't. I am not happy with 11-12 right now, but I still support out coach and players, and my guess is a very high majority of people in the Robins Center feel the same. I actually am happy with the direction of the program because of our recruiting the past several years, and Trevor Smith might just be exactly what this program needs to get us back where we want to go. Let's see if we can add another piece or two this spring, and then see what the direction of the program looks like.

Reactions: Section9.RowD

I’m not saying this is the way it is, But…

… if the Robin Center were filled with people who bought $2 tickets to see the baby race and the people dressed as Star Wars characters and had no idea there was a basketball game both before they came or after they left. Would that be very beneficial to the program?

If our fans are still showing up, they are still supporting the program, and not hating it or being done with it, like many on here are. If the hate that comes from every thread on here were as common outside of this board as some say, we wouldn't have sell outs ever. We just wouldn't. I am not happy with 11-12 right now, but I still support out coach and players, and my guess is a very high majority of people in the Robins Center feel the same. I actually am happy with the direction of the program because of our recruiting the past several years, and Trevor Smith might just be exactly what this program needs to get us back where we want to go. Let's see if we can add another piece or two this spring, and then see what the direction of the program looks like.
Pretty impressive if Robins is close to full on a noon tip off on Sunday. My 4 season tic will be there by 1130 and going to be loud to try to do my tiny part as a fan to be loud and turn this around.

I got an E-mail about 2 hours before they announced the sell out from the Athletic Department advertising 2 tickets for $20 PLUS Parking! I figured that pushed them over the line.

Reactions: Hanca
Why do we care about how much people pay for admission??? Where do people think the money comes from to pay a coach >$1M/year?

If we just care about putting on cheap entertainment for the neighbors, pay the coach $150k/year.

I don’t really understand your fascination casting critics as villains who don’t support our program.

I am a 20-year season ticket holder. I’ve ridden the ups and downs. I will always be a Spider fan. And I am critical of our coach and our direction. To think that somehow I am the anomaly is presumptive and arrogant.

Here is what a casual fan (non-alumna, wife of a spider) said to me last week: “Why is Chris Mooney still the coach? He doesn’t seem very good.”

That’s what I think a lot of the fans are like whether you want to acknowledge its possibility or not.

I don’t really understand your fascination casting critics as villains who don’t support our program.

I am a 20-year season ticket holder. I’ve ridden the ups and downs. I will always be a Spider fan. And I am critical of our coach and our direction. To think that somehow I am the anomaly is presumptive and arrogant.

Here is what a casual fan (non-alumna, wife of a spider) said to me last week: “Why is Chris Mooney still the coach? He doesn’t seem very good.”

That’s what I think a lot of the fans are like whether you want to acknowledge its possibility or not.
So I see you met my wife.

Works both ways I guess. I tell people about this board, and they say, why would they be upset with Mooney? I have friends at every level, power conference, mid major, and lower, and not one thinks we should get a new coach. Maybe I just hang with more realistic people? And, if you think there are only low key "critics" on this board, you don't read enough posts.

That's perfectly fine if you are critical of our coach and our direction. I would never expect any program to have 100% support, and I respect your opinion. But, you are not like most on here who are critical, and you don't post anything close to what they do.

• Haha
Works both ways I guess. I tell people about this board, and they say, why would they be upset with Mooney? I have friends at every level, power conference, mid major, and lower, and not one thinks we should get a new coach. Maybe I just hang with more realistic people? And, if you think there are only low key "critics" on this board, you don't read enough posts.

That's perfectly fine if you are critical of our coach and our direction. I would never expect any program to have 100% support, and I respect your opinion. But, you are not like most on here who are critical, and you don't post anything close to what they do.
Interesting. Why do your contacts think we should keep CM?

Oh yeah it’s all good no matter how much we have to discount seat prices to get fannies in the seats because we are sooo damn good. Loser mentality

Reactions: Spider B
Interesting. Why do your contacts think we should keep CM?
Well, duh, from a timing standpoint, why wouldn't they? 24-7? A-10 title? Tourney win over Iowa? Wins over Kentucky and Wisconsin? How many mid majors can say that? I guess they think, unlike some on here, that's pretty good, and don't expect us to be the Gonzaga of the East?

How many more games do we have to lose before you pack it in for the season and stop spewing this BS?

Well, duh, from a timing standpoint, why wouldn't they? 24-7? A-10 title? Tourney win over Iowa? Wins over Kentucky and Wisconsin? How many mid majors can say that? I guess they think, unlike some on here, that's pretty good, and don't expect us to be the Gonzaga of the East?
Well sure. What did they say 4 years ago after consecutive 20-loss seasons or what do they say right now? Genuinely curious.

Btw, throwing out the “well duh” is the kind of thing that prevents us from having an actual meaningful discussion.

Btw, throwing out the “well duh” is the kind of thing that prevents us from having an actual meaningful discussion.
So sorry. I will try to do better. And, that really prevents a discussion? Wow.

Well sure. What did they say 4 years ago after consecutive 20-loss seasons or what do they say right now? Genuinely curious.

Not sure, but Richmond basketball wasn't the only thing talked about. It wasn't this dramatic debate amongst us. I think most people have pulled for teams that have had some losing or disappointing seasons, so maybe they don't want to fire people all the time? I will say that most people I hang with don't really do the message board stuff and all say they are usually way over the top negative. It is what it is. Look at the comments I am getting just for having an innocent back and forth with you? All because I don't share their opinion.

So sorry. I will try to do better. And, that really prevents a discussion? Wow.
It makes having a rational discussion acrimonious.

But to the point, what are your contacts reactions to the long gap years of no ncaa tournaments. Or to 14-9 with a senior laden team or to what’s happening right now?

I can’t imagine they were rosy about CM during these spurts.

Not sure, but Richmond basketball wasn't the only thing talked about. It wasn't this dramatic debate amongst us. I think most people have pulled for teams that have had some losing or disappointing seasons, so maybe they don't want to fire people all the time? I will say that most people I hang with don't really do the message board stuff and all say they are usually way over the top negative. It is what it is. Look at the comments I am getting just for having an innocent back and forth with you? All because I don't share their opinion.
Btw, I was talking about the professionals in the athletic ranks you were previously referencing. Maybe I misunderstood who you were talking about.

It makes having a rational discussion acrimonious.

But to the point, what are your contacts reactions to the long gap years of no ncaa tournaments. Or to 14-9 with a senior laden team or to what’s happening right now?

I can’t imagine they were rosy about CM during these spurts.
See previous post. Some played college ball. Not all went dancing. They liked their coaches. Mooney and Richmond wasn't an ongoing conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT