ADVERTISEMENT

Dji entering the portal

Well, you said "if you are a good player at Richmond, I think you should be a pretty good player at LSU". You said it like every good player we have had should be a pretty good player at a place like LSU. That is what I am disagreeing with. We are discussing Dji and I don't think just because he was good for us last year means he will be pretty good for LSU. Maybe he will, but you are talking like it is almost a guarantee. I am also disagreeing with your comment saying the A-10 compares to the SEC. It just doesn't.....I mean, teams like Tenn, Ky., Auburn, and Bama might question that as well.

I am not at all saying we haven’t had or will never have some players who could have done pretty good ( I guess it depends on the definition of pretty good) at a power school. But, I do think pretty much every guy who has played well for us made the right decision to play for us and not give a power school a chance.

Good lord I never said A10 is equal to SEC. u r using TN KY Auburn and Bama as example? LOL. those r the EXACT 4 schools I used as example that it wasn't about. if u r saying I think A10 overall is the SEC u haven't read anything I've ever written on here.

I'm comparing Richmond ball to LSU ball or similar. LSU is middle tier p6. I guess u can debate that a bit. Richmond is what a top 1/3 program in A10. Guess u can debate that too. & I think we underachieve. Was Richmond better than LSU last year? What do u think? I say close but I think so. I think a "good" player at a Richmond, in a higher tier of mid major can be "pretty good" at a middle tier of p6. It was a program comparison. Night in night out u get better teams in SEC conf, play better athletes 100%, but let's not go crazy either the SEC has gotten better in hoops but overrated in past. And Richmond doesn't just play A10 schools, we do play some p6 or other good programs, tho I'd wish we'd play a lot more. The guys r not floored by the level of play.

anyway I wasn't specifically talking Dji at first. & I literally said re: Dji "nothing is guaranteed". I'm really not sure how he'll do.

u will take offense at anything. U accuse people of being too negative and tell people to go find another team and then hibernate for the season. But I'm the 1 being positive on our players & richmond level of play, u r not. Ironic.

If I can go back and rewrite what I wrote in any way to correct, please advise and I will consider, I freely admit it was not perfect language.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Why do you get so angry? We were having what I thought was a good back and forth where we disagreed ( it happens, not everyone will agree), and you take it to this level? Why? Anyway, here is what you posted.....I don't know how it can be interpreted any other way:

"And if UR a good player at UR, I think you should be pretty good at a LSU too. we were better than LSU last year. Yes u face better athletes game in game out in SEC, but overall it's not that much different bball level."

How would you expect anyone to interpret anything other than you think the A-10 is similar to the SEC?

Last edited:
Reactions: AnnapSpider
I already explained it all…I don’t know maybe there should have been a period instead of a comma in the last sentence u quoted or everything after the But should have been 1st. Idk.

I was trying to compare the bball levels of Richmond & LSU not A10 and SEC. There is a bigger gap between the latter than there is the former. But the good players can play in it fine.

Fire Bennett Extend Mooney!

Ok I feel better now. Back to Hot Ones level 1.

Last edited:
Best of luck Dji. Really enjoyed watching you play and am glad you’re a UR alumni now.

Without factoring in the NIL payment, I’m going on record that I think this is a poor choice. Thought the same for Burton last year. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Richmond players can play at the SEC level skill-wise, but many can't compete at that level due to positional size or athleticism. Burton could jump out of the gym but for some reason that didn't transalte into lateral mobility. Dji has that. his defense will translate.

I think he'll do well at LSU. hope I'm right.

I greatly appreciate Dji contribution to the team while at Richmond and think I understand why he is transferring. I have nothing against Dji, who is a fine young man, but I will not be rooting for him at his new school. I will save my efforts to current U of R players and those transferring in.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Graduate transfers have been happening forever so this part of the current landscape at least is nothing new 🤷‍♂️
grad transfers when someone redshirted, sure.
but every senior getting an extra year is pretty new. and just about over.

Last edited:
Graduate transfers have been happening forever so this part of the current landscape at least is nothing new 🤷‍♂️

I don't think I would call it forever, started in 2006. Old news compared to current landscape so might feel that way. But in early days of grad transfers, it wasn't used that much. Of course originally designed to be academic reasons. and u had to transfer somewhere where a grad program was offered that your current school didn't. but easily manipulated. & that part of rule was dropped. Most r not getting grad degrees out of it anyway. but it was maybe 5 or so years before it really took off. Last 10+ years pretty crazy. The covid year gone will normalize a bit, it will then be back to players who had any kind of redshirt (more likely in football). I really think coaches will slow roll players from potentially graduating early. Which is not easy, unless u r really smart and come in with lot of credits, but all the summer sessions makes possible. Schools could easily cut out a session just for fear that a player gets on track to grad early. & the coaches can have them show up in summer with or without the classes.

Reactions: urfan1
Yep, rooted for Burton at Nova will root for Dji at LSU. 4 year guys who got there degree from UR, they gave us all we can ask for a college player to give.
Agree 100%. It doesn't matter if his dad and I don't get along, I respect the heck out of Dji. He battled for 4 years, coming back from injuries, in the lineup, out of the lineup, good minutes, little minutes, no minutes. He hung in there through it all, still didn't start at the beginning of his senior year, kept at it, moved into the starting lineup and had a great final year. Without the right attitude through it all, no way does he have the year he had.

So, good luck to Dji next year.

Lots of love for Dji and family has been shown. I too wish Dji and his family only the best. Without Dji’s contributions this season I am certain we would not have been regular season A10 Co Champs. My only regret is that my family and me never got a chance to meet in person. I remain hopeful that can happen in the future. I, for one, will be following Dji’s SEC experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT