ADVERTISEMENT

Status of UR's Coach

This is probably doing wonders for our baseball recruiting.
mad.r191677.gif
Maybe if they drag it out any longer we'll be able to pick-up some little leaguers.
Why can't they either reinstate him or fire him, but do it. Don't let everyone dangle in the wind.
Jim Miller didn't take days or weeks to "research" Scott's firing.

Anna I agree, recruiting is to important to have many "off" years. It looked to me like we were beginning to get back on track and then this.

I have no idea if McQueen has a buyout, but I surmise UR is trying to determine if he can be fired 'for cause'.

That said, I agree. Get on with it already. It's been over 3 weeks since the incident and over 2 weeks since the suspension.

This is being handled badly and our baseball program will suffer.

you may know how it is being handled, i have no clue but do know that you don't just go out and grab the first person who calls you wanting the job, you do your due diligence and not end up where rutgers is today. getting the right fit is much better than just getting the quick fit. we can survive one recruiting season being less than what we would like, but not having the wrong person hired.

I agree, but you dont need to take 2-3 weeks after the incident to decide whether you are going to keep Mc Queen. I did hear this afternoon that Tag has been reinstated and that McQueen is gone. Things have gotten blown out of proportion by this delay. Lots of crazy rumors about what really happened.

I heard from a reliable source that the assistant coach Montague was/is the problem. How could he not be canned?

What a cluster. Why reinstate Montague when the new manager will presumably bring his own assistants?

I would guess that they found out that the original reasons for Tags suspension were found to be incorrect. Just a guess. I am sure he will not be part of the new staff.

This is all so confusing that I would not begin to try to formulate an educated opinion. But I would wish that the school would quickly clear up the matter and move on.

Montague was probably on 1 year renewable contract that could be expiring soon. Any reinstatement may just be a HR move and means little, he's probably moving on soon. I don't get the rush, we may be doing a lot of research into candidates while Mcqueen status is cleared up. It's not basketball or football. It's important sure but I don't see it doing damage to program either. New coach, new blood can be positive. I wouldn't have been schocked if mcqueen was let go without this incident though guessing he would have received 1 more year. But now he needs due process if he's being dismissed for cause I guess.

As previously stated everything this year related to athletic fires/hires/suspensions is a bit different since this Rutgers mess.

There is no change in the status. I was wondering whether the altercation was discussed on the radio broadcast at game time? Although, I would think that if they had not let McQueen go by now, they will not let him go over this incident.
This post was edited on 5/31 11:22 AM by StonesRiverSpid

Update

FWIW -- I've been told some of the players are speaking on McQueen's behalf.

Is anybody else starting to get the feeling that time often makes problems disappear. Something that seemed bigger when it happened, now is to become a regrettable mistake, but not a show stopper, and we quietly move on. Would not surprise me.
I am not sure this discussion goes on any place but here. We will see -

It has been more than 3 weeks since the incident occurred. I submit that the longer the wait to make an announcement to relieve McQueen, the more likely it is that he will be retained. Does anyone know when the primary recruiting period for college baseball is? After the season, do college baseball coaches normally take a vacation?

UR just doing due diligence on this or "covering all the bases" tp prevent flashback. I believe McQueen is toast.

have no idea which way this will end up but being prudent, ensuring you have all the facts, etc. is the way to do business rather than making a knee jerk reaction. don't care how long it takes, just do the job right.

Well, it is the end of the week and we have heard nothing. Can we have a decision already? You are kiddig yourself if you don't think this is hurting recruiting.

We live in a very litigious society.Any act which appears to include acts of assault or battery is a tricky issue in which to deal.Apart from a potential UR code of conduct not being adhered ,there could be a university/individual exposure if one of the party's believed it is harmed by the action of another especially under the laws governed by New York City/State.All negotiated i's should be dotted and t's crossed in a settlement agreement between and among all parties concerned including a possible separation agreement,with or without cause.

This post was edited on 6/8 12:53 AM by 32counter

From the University perspective, assuming McQueen was totally in the wrong, if he is now fired that doesn't change the fact the action took place while a University employee. If they do fire him, he may then have a wrongful discharge claim. From the student perspective, if he was totally in the wrong, what claim does he have? If not, what are his damages? Note I'm not speaking as to whether any of these claims would be successful, only that they have a basis.

This situation is killing our baseball program. I have a strong feeling that this is being handled out of Maryland Hall and not the RC. Ayers is definitely not making his AD look good. It looks to me to be the 3rd or 4th athletic screw up by Maryland Hall in the last 8 months.

don't think any of us truly know but agree there are many angles to this deal, not just a black and white, 1-2-3 ending. have thought all along that attorneys may be involved and if so, the obvious delay. again, let' s not point fingers and make accusations when we don't know the facts, circumstances until they come out, which they may not, with legal beagles on the case. the loss or success of one recruiting class may be the result of all of this but is our country rocks these days.

How long would one expect this 'due diligence' to take? It been a month already. 3 months? 6 months? Years? Shorter or longer than it takes the Administration to 'figure out what happened' with Benghazi?

this administration knows what happened, some are trying to find out what happened but they are protecting themselves very well, called transparency, a cornerstone of obama's platform stance. haha, all talk

Go back and read the post, it was a hypothetical assumption.

Originally posted by URFan1:

From the University perspective, assuming McQueen was totally in the wrong, ...
From "the University perspective", this tells me that from the University is assuming that McQueen was totally in the wrong.
What did McQueen do that would make him in the wrong? How, if the player initiated contact, can one assume that McQueen was totally in the wrong.
Does this give us a glimmer in the minds of University Officials?

This post was edited on 6/9 6:54 PM by Stonewall D

as have mentioned numerous times in this thread, i absolutely know nothing about this other than what others, "in the know" have stated, but if all UR employees have in their contracts, that they may not touch or become physically involved with students, then he is in the wrong. this point could be argued if the student took a swing at him and he was defending himself but if only verbally attacking him, not sure. we on here attempt to make this a cut and dry issue and it is most likely anything but, thus the timeframe (adding in rutgers, attorneys, etc.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT