ADVERTISEMENT

Status of UR's Coach

This goes to an earlier point. The childish behavior of a player has wrecked the baseball program. IMHO, a child overreacting to the news that he was not playing caused this. Now, all of the coaches will be let go and the new guy coming in will start over. Children should not be allowed to influence the direction of an institution like UR. This is pathetic.

You clearly are not very informed and do not know what went on. If you did, I don't think you would feel that way. This has nothing to do with someone being childish.

Maniac, yes.

Which part of this is not childish?

Someone drinking while on a team trip and breaking team rules?
Someone who is benched because of it gets upset?
When someone gets benched and gets angry at his coach?
When someone, while angry at his coach initiates contact?

How is any of this behavior not childish?

StonesRiverSpid, you are correct. This is childish. If this young man had not broken a team rule and then overreacted. we would not be in this situation. My opinion comes from comments of his teammates.

Wonder if the McQueen resignation has anything to do with the fact that VCU is looking for a baseball coach. Since he was an assistant there for a few years - I wonder if he will just go down the road and be a coach there?

Since when do we, as a society, allow 20-somethings to dictate the course of an institution or the course of a nation? A cry baby has now ruined the career of a coach and wrecked our team. We only reward the behavior of these children when we allow this to happen. On a broader scale, we have allowed another 20-something- Ed Snowden- to dictate the course of a country. Just because things don't go your way, does not mean you should destroy others. Nor should those in charge be intimidated by the reactions to this (by the media) and the coddling of the behavior of these children by society at large. These children are not heroes, because they destroyed someone else's life. They are childish and self-centered. I am disappointed by our administration succumbing to these pressures. At some point you have to do the right thing and stand by your people. UR has not done this.

not sure but don't think any of us were in that dugout and know exactly what happened nor do we know for sure about the drinking situation, did he do this on his own, did he have a coaches' permission to do this, have heard all kinds of angles on what happened but all hearsay, not facts. must say i like Mac but if you are going to blame the player for overreacting then Mac overreacted by slugging him, a coach just cannot do that, especially in today's environment, bob knight, rutgers, etc., etc. if Mac resigned then have to feel this was what was going on behind the scenes with the attorneys, he does not get fired, maybe this incident does not show up on his record, maybe UR agrees not to give anthing other than a glowing recommendation to a prospective employer, etc. in return, UR gets: Mac does not sue, maybe the player's family and their attorney involved as well and they do not sue, who knows for sure. just think making a definitive statement against one person when we do not know the facts is a tad overreacting. now, if you are party to this and know the facts, i aplologize for my overreaction.

Annap, not really, he seems to be crucifying the player and that is OK if he knows the facts and is not just going on hearsay. i know no facts just hearsay so would not make a definitive statement against the player. only saying if he attacks the player for overreacting then Mac has to be responsible as well for overreacting and hitting the player unless he was physically attacked. my point was, do not come to a conclusion and attack one party based only on hearsay, what we have read here basically. if StoneRiver was in that dugout, or was an attorney involved or a UR administrator who was involved, thus knowing the facts, have no problem with what he said but if he is just a fan and poster here and only lashing out based on what was read here, kind of a cheap shot, winning the cellophane jockey underwear award for jumping the gun.

I think the real problem here was there were to many versions of what went on in the dugout and then people started digging in their heels -- the University appears to have worked out a compromise for all

I would agree, the other choice(s) may have been much worse. If so that is a compromise.

FWIW, a good friend who is a baseball coach knows Ryan Wheeler well and said he is a heckuva coach and a great guy. I only hope that we can get our baseball situation in order and some improvements are made to the facilities. In order to add improved seating and other items, maybe they could re-position the field and tear up a little bit of parking lot.

IMHO, Tracy Woodson should be the guy. Proven winner at every level as a head coach and player - pro background and world series champion with Dodgers. Has won back-to-back championships and gone to NCAA Regionals at Valparaiso University, which is a private academic institution like Richmond. Valparaiso hadn't won in baseball for 40+ years before he got there. Plus, his extensive connections in Richmond area. Not only the right coach but great PR for Richmond.

Stones,

Agree. Would insert poor decision from assistant coach that began this saga. Coach Mac had no case after that and should not have trie to discipline with a big hole in the facts to support him. This would have fallen apart badly anywhere.

Richres, sounds like Coach Woodson would also be a great hire. Let's just get the balls rolling. IMHO, I really believe UR can be good in baseball.

Originally posted by McSpider67:
Stones,

Agree. Would insert poor decision from assistant coach that began this saga. Coach Mac had no case after that and should not have trie to discipline with a big hole in the facts to support him. This would have fallen apart badly anywhere.
Who chose to drink? The coaches? No, this situation rests squarely on the head of the player, who put his personal interests before the interests of the team.

Stonewall, do you really think that none of our baseball players have had a beer sometime during the season or maybe even more than that? they are college students and all of my frat bros who were on scholarship drank during the season, well, maybe not 72, but you know what i am saying. someone here told us that the player approached the asst coach and said am celebrating my 21st birthday tonight with my parents at dinner, can i drink a beer. he was told, yes. why does this make him a bad guy or selfish or anything else? again, do not know the facts, only what was said on here but cannot see putting all of this on the player until all the facts are known. to me, if Mac knew what happened and knew what he was going to do, sit the kid, then he should have told him at the hotel not in the dugout prior to the first pitch. again, he may have done that, do not know the facts. maybe you know all the facts but have not found anyone yet on here who does know exactly what happened other than second-hand and hearsay and those are not facts.

re: Coach Woodson would also be a great hire

They only reason to hire him is so that he won't officiate our hoop games.

Originally posted by Spidersssssss:

roll.r191677.gif

Well richres (rookie) must be Tracy's new fake account. Nobody writes a post that specific unless it is the person who has lived it. You should change your name to TWoodsonbadref. Then at least we would know it is you.

We need a young ambitious coach at UR with proven immediate success. They are out there. It doesn't necessarily have to be somebody from the D1 level. Lots of D2/D3/NAIA that are very good. I would take them over some of these names being thrown around here on this board.

This post was edited on 6/24 10:29 PM by Unabomber7

Originally posted by Spidersssssss:

I'll bite. you need to explain this one.
question.r191677.gif

Unabomber, sorry to disappoint but I'm just someone who thinks Woodson is a good coach and gave my opinion....as you have given yours. Pretty sure my opinion doesn't really matter. Just hoping for a good hire and we'll just have to wait and see.

UR ought to look at the head coach of the Austin Peay St. Governors, Gary McClure. His record speaks for itself. We would be lucky to get him.

So let me get this straight Richres. You as "Richmond Res" with four posts, two of them commenting on when will they fire McQueen, decided out of the clear blue to do that kind of detailed research on 1 coach out of hundreds? Let me ask you then, what was your criteria for narrowing down the search? Your methods need to be the industry standard!
In the meantime, if you want the job at UR just apply for it and stop giving yourself fake popularity on the blogs.

We need a coach at UR who has a lot of ambition and drive to take this program in the right direction. I just don't see that in you. If you had it why would you step down as a coach in AAA, go to Valpo, and then from Valpo, want to come to UR? Its very much a sideways move. It sounds more to me like you want a place to retire to, and have an occasional good season. That is the same thing that our most recent coach gave us. While you have had some nice accomplishments in your life on the professional side, I don't see how your career winning percentage which is worse then our previous coach (under .500) is going to make us better. Just MY opinion.

So he refed the Ohio-UR game in which UR lost by 25 points- 48 to 73. If he is such a great baseball coach, why is he refing college basketball games?

who are you UNA , with 2 posts trying to out someone with 4? maybe you are new around these parts but Tracy is a legend in the richmond area from his high school days onto nc state and then the pros and yes, has refereed some of our basketball games. not sure if he still has family here but remember him hanging around our program some years back while in the majors during the offseason. he is local, has ties, has been a successful baseball guy as a player and now coach. yes, agree, would love to have him here.

Pretty sure Woodson's family is still here in Richmond, same with Ikenberry at VMI. Two good ones.

I can say with 99.99% accuracy richres is not Tracy Woodson. weird accusation but if you really think Tracy Woodson is posting on this board have at it. I don't think what richres posted was that specific & could be common knowledge among those that follow college baseball and/or have local ties or just makes a cursory effort to look up. John O'Connor at RTD had the same thoughts the other day in linked story on Woodson. But wait...maybe O'Connor and Woodson are first cousins. plus Unabomber kind hard to take you seriously with that handle. The few names thrown out like woodson, wheeler, ikenberry all look good and somewhat expected. JO put out Dick Cooke as another. I know there are plenty of others out there that would do very well. Not being an expert on what our hiring pool is I can't provide names but I'm a believer that there are a lot of good coaches available. Not to say McQueen wasn't...he was good too and well liked by former players from what I've heard. But if your results are just decent and then u have a situation like this, whether at complete fault or not, it's usually not going to end well. UR said Mcqueen wasn't forced out, it was mcqueens decision, I don't exactly believe that but mcqueen may have seen writing on wall. Besides maybe mens bball and football if your results are ok, you're considered good coach and you stay out of trouble u can probably stick around longer at UR. That last part can mess things up. To me this was not unexpected & I said as much in beginning of thread. I think UR was doing some prelim research into coaches during this process, that is only smart and prudent. This took longer than you'd like but also unusual circumstances. For those that write this is ruining our program I ask how so? It's been 10 years since last NCAA, granted that is not easy accomplishment, but new blood isn't bad. It would be nice if that new blood came with some level of increased support. With a new hire sometime u get that just the way it goes. Here's to a good hire and good luck for the baseball program.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/college/baseball/benedictine-grad-woodson-may-be-a-fit-for-spiders/article_49c686f7-0a60-5d7a-9f7f-1c0af2f8f15d.html

as kind of a peace pipe, MO's sport being nuked, he is actually on the committee and just pulling our legs. he is all over this process, intimately.

GKiller, sorry I have been a bit busy and unable to respond. You know working! I love the dig you threw at my name and not taking me seriously because of it. Well thanks that means a lot coming from someone named GKiller you putz. To review, you are on a blog and making accusations about taking things seriously. Again its a blog! Let me guess Facebook, Twitter, and your Ashley Madison account are all credible sources too right? Please stick to your own blog battles. You have no idea what you are talking about. Why do you think Richres has only posted on baseball related topics and starting doing so around the time of the hiring? Oh that must be too much reasoning ability for your peanut sized brain. It happens all the time when bad coaches want to get some interest generated among the fans because they think it will give them a edge. Hopefully our AD will make decisions based on merit. If Woodson is the guy so be it, I am just not seeing it the right fit.

well, give us some more names and why they fit here and know the recruiting here. big difference between our basketball nickname, GIANT KILLERS and the guy who killed people with mail bombs, just saying. since you do not seem to know that nickname, kind of wondering who you are, a ram goat or a umwcah wonk or what?

This post was edited on 7/13 12:19 PM by WebSpinner

Why does it take so long to fill the baseball coaching position? We seem to fill football and basketball positions much faster. At least Jim MIller would fill the positions faster.

will not make excuses, don't know, but will say that after rutgers and here, Keith is probably looking at resumes even closer than ever before, his first hire and he does not want to act hastily and look foolish. also may have trouble finding someone who wants the job who fits us, probably guys out there who want it but do not fit or pass the eyeball or backgrounds. just postulating here, have no idea but would rather take more time than make a big mistake.

Spinner, there are a lot of very fine D-2 managers out there that would love the position. And being D-2 usually translates that the school has strong academic requirements, as well as their reduced budgets. I'm just saying-I can't believe there aren't some very fine coaches out there that would fit into our program whether they are D-1 or D-2.
You stated rightfully so, that you are not making any excuses and I appreciate that. It just seems like to me there has to be a reason that we're missing for this process to have lasted so long.
Maybe I'm looking for black helicopters--

Per RTD, finalists for the job are Woodson (Valpo head coach), Marlin Eikenberry (VMI head man since 2003), and the current head coaches at Marist and Columbia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT