ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams

SpiderFan26

Team Manager
Mar 11, 2012
Two things:

1) Aside from Special Teams, I thought we played really well. KL showed promise, as did the run game.

2) If you remember, the 08 title team played a lot of starters on Special Teams. I think we need to start doing that. Having some true freshman play punt coverage plus some lineman on punts doesn't bode well.

Eric McBride was a special teams starter. All-American, multi year starter, one of the best. And played special teams. Not sure if this would solve the problems, but I think its a balance of scheme/coaching and players, but it seems now like it may be coaching even more now.

Agree on both. Aside from brutal special teams coverage, I thought we played a fine game today and got out of there largely healthy. Today was a good day.

Hey Legg, we made the halftime highlights on national television. Thanks.

I hate calling a guy out, but he's been here 9 years through 4 coaches (5 if you count Lineburg). How did he last through all those coaching changes?

I hate calling a guy out, but he's been here 9 years through 4 coaches (5 if you count Lineburg). How did he last through all those coaching changes?

Good VA recruiting. But still no excuse for the consistently bad special teams

Last edited:
Reactions: 30YearSPDR
No way we can compete when our special teams are inept. Rocco needs to make immediate change in coaching and personnel. Act like a head coach and take charge. Posters are correct in pointing out years of ineffectiveness from special teams coach.

Very concerned that Rocco told Helkowski to punt the ball out of bounds to avoid kicking to Likely for the last several and he wasn't able to...

Reactions: 30YearSPDR
Special teams have long been an issue. Legg may be part of the problem or not, I dont know. I have been told he has a very good understanding of what needs to be done and how to execute on special teams. You can't blame Legg because the punter did not kick it out of bounds when directed to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT