ADVERTISEMENT

Rotation 2021-2

Back to rotation, it seems somewhere on this thread, and then again by Rothstein, to assume that Sherod starts at guard for us? Is that been indicated by Mooney, or is that just assumptions based on his past performance and coming back and Mooney's loyalty?

With Goose out, my thought was that Wilson and Dji would be battling for that other guard spot. Not to rehash too much, but I think we will be too weak defensively with Sherod at guard, especiall considering Cayo is a smallish interior player and Grant does not provide much in way of rim protection.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I'm a little tired of reading how old we are. I think we've got a lot more going for us than age.
Agree…the experts were saying something very similar in the preseason last year because of our experience…we know how that turned out…tired of this type of hype already…looking forward to the guys proving it in the court this year..,they have a second chance!…not many teams get one!

Go Spiders!

Reactions: Zeeter
What other narrative should they pursue - how we had a disappointing season last year or how we maybe would have made it the year before?

Back to rotation, it seems somewhere on this thread, and then again by Rothstein, to assume that Sherod starts at guard for us? Is that been indicated by Mooney, or is that just assumptions based on his past performance and coming back and Mooney's loyalty?

With Goose out, my thought was that Wilson and Dji would be battling for that other guard spot. Not to rehash too much, but I think we will be too weak defensively with Sherod at guard, especiall considering Cayo is a smallish interior player and Grant does not provide much in way of rim protection.
Maybe we go back to a zone to give us the ability to play Sherod with Button and Gilyard?

I agree Spider-Man, we really are in for something special. I haven’t seen this kind of confidence and togetherness as a group in a long time. I am ready!!

some will say I'm not thinking big enough, but at this point I just want to dance. it's been a long time.

Good stuff. Going to need both Wilson and Dji to step up and play some good minutes this year. Sherod is not a guard, and if our defense is going to be good enough for us to be an NCAA team we are going to need a combined 25+ minutes from Zay or Dji. Hopefully he has confidence shooting the three, thought he looked pretty good at the end of the year and hope the offseason work pays off.

Good listen...thanks for sharing
Hey SpiderDad, do you know if they are changing covid protocols this year? Will they cancel a game if one player or staff has a confirmed case?
I thought it was crazy that they made these student-athletes isolate alone in a hotel room for any positive covid case.

Hey SpiderDad, do you know if they are changing covid protocols this year? Will they cancel a game if one player or staff has a confirmed case?
I thought it was crazy that they made these student-athletes isolate alone in a hotel room for any positive covid case.
Haven’t heard…but I’ll see what I can find out.

Good stuff. Going to need both Wilson and Dji to step up and play some good minutes this year. Sherod is not a guard, and if our defense is going to be good enough for us to be an NCAA team we are going to need a combined 25+ minutes from Zay or Dji. Hopefully he has confidence shooting the three, thought he looked pretty good at the end of the year and hope the offseason work pays off.
Totally agree…Defense is going to be key. Zay and Dji can both help in that dept I believe. Dji has been playing guard and not at the wing in practice. All the experts are saying it will be the 5 Srs that start but I wouldn’t be surprised if Dji or Zay start at the 2. Doesn’t mean it’s going happen but have we ever thought on here(the board) that maybe a Sr doesn’t necessarily want to start? Just throwing that out there. There could be real benefits to that but either way I think Zay and Dji are poised for a big year. Dji has been really excited about his practices and the coaches have expressed that as well. 26 Day and counting 🕷🏀

Last edited:
All the experts are saying it will be the 5 Srs that start but I wouldn’t be surprised if Dji or Zay start at the 2. Doesn’t mean it’s going happen but have we ever thought on here(the board) that maybe a Sr doesn’t necessarily want to start?
Based on Nick’s own comments after his injury, I would say there is better than a 50/50 chance that this could happen. Nick is on record saying that he did not want to take away from other players opportunities. Doesn’t mean that he will never start in a game either, but I don’t think that starting is really important to him at this point.

This is good to hear. Glad to hear Dji is playing guard. WIng position is chock full - if Nick and Conor can stay healthy. Love to have Dji's size and athleticism at the guard spot. Nick is a guy that can survive on the defensive end due to his high IQ and experience, but not going to be lock down, feared defender. I think Zay and Dji have shown some glimpses of that and hope they can apply that this season.

if Nick is healthy and shooting 44% from 3, he'll play all the minutes he can handle.
Agree with this. I also think if ever there’s a year where who starts is not super relevant it may be this year. Too many guys who can contribute for us to be locked in on the PT.

This is why no ncaa in last 50 years. No defense. Love Nick's shooting and IQ but with our front courts defense, we can't play Nick too. No way. Or we can play Nick, Nathan,Grant,, and Burton and have a pretty team and watch the Bonnie's get the glory and listen to Mooney and Hardt spew some bs and excuses. Give me Dji and Zay and whoever want to d up and let's get to the dance. Nick will have his time but need to d up first. Cmon sman, don't be a truther. Getting to close to the season.

I'm worn out by all this negativity about Nick. We don't have anyone who is without flaws and Nick certainly has his. But he's not just ANY shooter either. For my money, he's arguably the 2nd or 3rd best shooter in program history and currently one of the best shooters in the country. This "Nick shouldn't start stuff" again reminds me of posters saying J Harper should be our 6th man (yes, there were alot of you!) at the beginning of his junior year - just assinine! Even Tarrant played C Fleming (who he said never played defense) when he had to beat Temple. The game is still moving towards offensive production and efficiency and no way in hell Nick isn't on the floor when we need a bucket...that WAS missing last year. It has less to do with basketball IQ than flat out skill!

LTSF, I think you may be reading to much into discussion. Sports fans are going to talk and try to support their opinion, whether right or wrong. I don't believe anyone on here is opposed to Nick playing significant minutes, nor saying Nick is not a great scorer. Personally I don't think we have had a better clutch scorer than Nick in a long time. I do think some are concerned about his durability to play significant minute for a full season.

LTSF, I think you may be reading to much into discussion. Sports fans are going to talk and try to support their opinion, whether right or wrong. I don't believe anyone on here is opposed to Nick playing significant minutes, nor saying Nick is not a great scorer. Personally I don't think we have had a better clutch scorer than Nick in a long time. I do think some are concerned about his durability to play significant minute for a full season.
Exactly urfan1 my concern is quickness overall after two ACL surgeries but he will create a problem for
the other teams defense when he is in. Whether he starts or not, we are a better team with Nick Sherrod

Can’t wait for the season to start and one primary reason is the Forum will suddenly shift from pure speculation to game observation.

There is no doubt that this year is unlike any other year and hopefully it ends with a return to the NCAAs. One thing is certain - it is going to take a team effort that includes good play on both ends of the floor. Go Spiders!

Nick's probably in the best shape he's ever been in at UR. I'm excited to see him at 215.

We need Nick and Crabtree to average at least 5 or 6 threes a game between them, every game. If that's happening, it will open up some shots for Gilyard and others, too.

Reactions: urfan1
Nick's probably in the best shape he's ever been in at UR. I'm excited to see him at 215.
This is what I've heard as well. As someone who has had ACL/MCL reconstruction (and as someone who's never had any lateral quickness either!) I'll say whatever quickness I did have was at least as good as before surgery...the knee was actually stronger). The knock on Nick has always been his defensive liability. I don't see durability as too much of an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT