ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia Preview

If Nick had played, we would not have had Tyler’s rebounding and athleticism to match WV. Having Nick would
not have changed the outcome of this game, even though we would have made a few more threes but they would
have had more offensive rebounds.
I don't think we beat them with Nick, but why do you not think Nick and Tyler could play at the same time?

Maybe they shot lights outs because our defense is poor. Grant is a very soft big man but Burton is a killer. Our team will go as far as Burton and Cayo take us. Small guards and a soft big man aren't going to win games against strong competition.
Wisconsin and Kentucky say hi. We can beat anyone with this team, and have already proved that. Are you really worried about Jacob's and Blake's size? Seriously? And, what exactly would you like Grant to do differently? Our offense often has him at the high post. He does not jump out of the building like Tyler, so he won't be grabbing many rebounds above the rim. He challenges guys, and battles other bigs. We are incredibly lucky to have all 3 of them

If our guards had more size and Grant were as athletic as Tyler, they would have gone to power schools and would be playing in the NBA right now.

Last year and this, he has the worst shooting percentage of our starters yet takes the most shots. Come on man, go by the data.

Blake would shoot less if Gilly was more assertive on offense. I've been defending Blake but damn 1-10 for 3 is not good. However, Gilly only took 7 shots and Grant 4 the entire game. Is that Blakes fault for taking too many shots, or Grant and Gilly for not taking their shots? Probably a little of both.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Wisconsin and Kentucky say hi. We can beat anyone with this team, and have already proved that. Are you really worried about Jacob's and Blake's size? Seriously? And, what exactly would you like Grant to do differently? Our offense often has him at the high post. He does not jump out of the building like Tyler, so he won't be grabbing many rebounds above the rim. He challenges guys, and battles other bigs. We are incredibly lucky to have all 3 of them

If our guards had more size and Grant were as athletic as Tyler, they would have gone to power schools and would be playing in the NBA right now.
Dude, Kentucky sucks and Wisconsin was on the schedule last year. I mean, you can point counter point me all you want, but I know what I see.

Maybe they shot lights outs because our defense is poor. Grant is a very soft big man but Burton is a killer. Our team will go as far as Burton and Cayo take us. Small guards and a soft big man aren't going to win games against strong competition.
Like VCU. They are much better than last season, improving in different facets each game, and their length and athleticism will give you fits, especially from their freshmen and sophomores. As Coach Rhoades said, last year they had athletes, this year they have athletic, skilled basketball players. Freshmen Ace Baldwin, Jamir Watkins, and Mikeal Brown-Jones look like veterans and will be matchup nightmares. Ace has some Joey Rodriguez and Chris Paul in him. Sophomore Hasan Ward is becoming a beast in the paint. They took a decent and veteran ODU team behind the woodshed for 40 minutes. They have a very talented, very deep, and disciplined team. Coach Rhoades deserves a ton of credit. I wouldn't be surprised if they win the A10.

Dude, Kentucky sucks and Wisconsin was on the schedule last year. I mean, you can point counter point me all you want, but I know what I see.

Yes, Wisconsin was last year, but what does that have to do with your comment? Were Jacob and Blake taller last year?

Like VCU. They are much better than last season, improving in different facets each game, and their length and athleticism will give you fits, especially from their freshmen and sophomores. As Coach Rhoades said, last year they had athletes, this year they have athletic, skilled basketball players. Freshmen Ace Baldwin, Jamir Watkins, and Mikeal Brown-Jones look like veterans and will be matchup nightmares. Ace has some Joey Rodriguez and Chris Paul in him. Sophomore Hasan Ward is becoming a beast in the paint. They took a decent and veteran ODU team behind the woodshed for 40 minutes. They have a very talented, very deep, and disciplined team. Coach Rhoades deserves a ton of credit. I wouldn't be surprised if they win the A10.
I think the A10 will go through SLU, but you are dead on about VCU.

Yes, Wisconsin was last year, but what does that have to do with your comment? Were Jacob and Blake taller last year?
Every squirrel finds a nut now and then. BTW, how did we do against a much more physical SLU team last year? Again, soft big man who gets pushed around, and small guards who can shoot usin or out of a game. Cayo and Burton are the keys to winning.

Every squirrel finds a nut now and then. BTW, how did we do against a much more physical SLU team last year? Again, soft big man who gets pushed around, and small guards who can shoot usin or out of a game. Cayo and Burton are the keys to winning.

We can just disagree then. I was more than happy with our small guards and Grant leading us to a 24-7 record, including a 14-4 2nd place finish behind juggernaut Dayton in the A-10.

Prepare to "be surprised"

Well this certainly sounds like a totally legitimate unbiased opinion....

Every team has strengths and weaknesses. Our strengths can't be in every area, or else we'd be a top-10 team. We all knew that WVU was not a good matchup for us. I would have hoped we wouldn't get boatraced like that, but it happened. There are other top-25 teams that would match up terribly with us, and we could exploit their weaknesses.

Reactions: VT4700
Well this certainly sounds like a totally legitimate unbiased opinion....
My unbiased opinion is you guys had a false sense of how good your team is, due to the teams you played, especially UK. You would've had a formidable team with Sherod, but you're not solid enough defensively or have enough size to make any noise. Biased or unbiased, VCU is better and will prove it.

My unbiased opinion is you guys had a false sense of how good your team is, due to the teams you played, especially UK. You would've had a formidable team with Sherod, but you're not solid enough defensively or have enough size to make any noise. Biased or unbiased, VCU is better and will prove it.

and what team are you supposed to be a fan of?

Every team has strengths and weaknesses. Our strengths can't be in every area, or else we'd be a top-10 team. We all knew that WVU was not a good matchup for us. I would have hoped we wouldn't get boatraced like that, but it happened. There are other top-25 teams that would match up terribly with us, and we could exploit their weaknesses.

This is obviously true for all but a handful of teams. However, we can not be a Top 20-25 level team with one of our weaknesses being 3 point shooting. We have strengths as well, but our guards in particular are going to have really get their three point shooting going if we are going to be winning the A-10 and competing to win NCAA games. Especially because teams will soon start to play us differently until we show we can knock down the three much more consistently. If/when defenses adjust and dare us to win with three, Cayo especially will be hurt by the lack of space he will have. Both guys need to shoot it better - -- plain and simple. If they can shoot it at like 38%, however, we are much more prepared to be an excellent team than any team in the recent past! we have some skills we haven't had before, but again, they aren't going to get us to the promised land withoutdecent 3 point shooting!

Reactions: KWeaver and I-M-UR
“Unbiased opinion”? This is an oxymoron.

sounds like a ODU fan who got walloped by VCU.

we’ll worry about vcu at appropriate time. They look improved.

Weren’t we the top defensive team in A10 last year? That far from guarantees a repeat & this board & the team & coaches r well aware we haven’t played a complete game so far.

but thx for stopping by...in my unbiased opinion only a VCU fan - or the dreaded vcu/odu combo fan - would stick their nose into a WVA Richmond thread.

sounds like a ODU fan who got walloped by VCU.

we’ll worry about vcu at appropriate time. They look improved.

Weren’t we the top defensive team in A10 last year? That far from guarantees a repeat & this board & the team & coaches r well aware we haven’t played a complete game so far.

but thx for stopping by...in my unbiased opinion only a VCU fan - or the dreaded vcu/odu combo fan - would stick their nose into a WVA Richmond thread.
Nope, I can't stand ODU, but not as much as UR.

Blake would shoot less if Gilly was more assertive on offense. I've been defending Blake but damn 1-10 for 3 is not good. However, Gilly only took 7 shots and Grant 4 the entire game. Is that Blakes fault for taking too many shots, or Grant and Gilly for not taking their shots? Probably a little of both.

Maybe if Francis didn't shoot so early in the shot clock, others would have more opportunity to shoot.

Reactions: KWeaver
We all knew that WVU was not a good matchup for us.
Didn't you keep saying this was a very winnable game (or something to that effect)?

WVU is probably by far the best opponent we'll see all season. They looked like a 3 seed or better.
No need to panic, but we were not competitive. The A-10 favorite should be in every game.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
This is obviously true for all but a handful of teams. However, we can not be a Top 20-25 level team with one of our weaknesses being 3 point shooting. We have strengths as well, but our guards in particular are going to have really get their three point shooting going if we are going to be winning the A-10 and competing to win NCAA games. Especially because teams will soon start to play us differently until we show we can knock down the three much more consistently. If/when defenses adjust and dare us to win with three, Cayo especially will be hurt by the lack of space he will have. Both guys need to shoot it better - -- plain and simple. If they can shoot it at like 38%, however, we are much more prepared to be an excellent team than any team in the recent past! we have some skills we haven't had before, but again, they aren't going to get us to the promised land withoutdecent 3 point shooting!
3 point shooting is a must. We did ok on the D boards only gave up 5 WVA O boards....of course when you shoot almost 60% from the field and 3 point line there aren’t many O rebounds

Reactions: urfan1
Didn't you keep saying this was a very winnable game (or something to that effect)?

WVU is probably by far the best opponent we'll see all season. They looked like a 3 seed or better.
No need to panic, but we were not competitive. The A-10 favorite should be in every game.
I don't think I said it was "very winnable" but yeah, I thought for sure that we could win. But that doesn't mean it was a good matchup for us. I felt we were due for a good shooting game, and having watched WVU struggle to put any team away all year, including North Texas a few days ago, I thought that could play to our advantage. I didn't expect for them to shoot 20% better against us than they had against anyone else all year. If they'd played their normal game and we'd shot 20% better than our norm, we would have won. Didn't happen though.

Shame we don’t play you this year, but even a 20 pt win over you would lower our power index.

Cause you can't play 6 players at once. I mean they could, but then you have Cayo on the bench for long stretches of time. Cayo is playing really good ball as well.

cayo is the one guy I have confidence in right now. Let him shoot every time and we stand a chance.

cayo is the one guy I have confidence in right now. Let him shoot every time and we stand a chance.
yea I am actually getting comfortable with him taking short jump shots, now. He actually needs to take more shots inside.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT