ADVERTISEMENT

SID

64Spider

Team Manager
Feb 9, 2009
I have known for a long time that most schools have a Sports Information Director but I really have no idea what the person in that role actually does. Is it just a communication job such as handling emails and requests for information or are they in charge of advertising and publicity? Is it pretty much the same for all schools? Is it like the Director if Basketball Operations job in that it is somewhat temporary and the person is looking to move into some other job?
Anyone have some insight?

The SID mostly handles public information type stuff rather than marketing. He/she is basically the program's point person for the media and handles everything from arranging press conferences and media interviews to compiling stats, writing press releases and other content and generally maintaining relationships with the media.

So in our case it would be Will Bynum and he would be the man whose job it is to seek equal time and coverage by Richmond media. It seems to me that Will does most of his work behind the scenes and what I mentioned above might be Keith's responsibility.
I guess that not being an insider it's puzzling to me where our publicity comes from. Most often it seems that it all comes from JOC when or if he decides it's worth a column. We have definitely been out worked in this department by our foe downtown for as long as I can remember.

Trani bought and paid for the RT-D years ago, so they'll never say anything negative about VCU ever. It's going to be a hard sell in this town.

The RTD, I think provides us decent and fair coverage. It is also rapidly aging out as the main source of sports news. I think we need to focus on sports and online media and we are definitely getting outworked, outspent, and outdone by our crosstown rival in that department.

Having that position at one time in my long life, Legger is correct. They normally also coordinate press boxes, sideline distribution of info during games etc. And work closely with admin, coaches. Great job if you can get it,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT