ADVERTISEMENT

Robins Center Attendance Watch

That picture was taken a couple rows behind my seats. But I think I see a couple of their fans right about where my seats are.

I'm sure that most of my tickets are being bought by visiting fans. I've sold a couple sets for $50/seat and a few at $30 and $40. UR fans, knowing the deals they can get, would probably not pay that amount.

And on a serious side, most likely I'll buy season tickets again next year. And will for sure if you get a better coach. Success sells tickets. You would not believe what I'm able to sell my extra VCU tickets for. If you were back to being a contender and selling out games, I could get many times as much as I did this year. For comparison, last year for the Bonnies game at VCU I got $90/ticket on StubHub for a seat that is behind the home bench, 16 rows up. That was an off year with a new coach. A few years back I sold my UVA @ VCU extra tickets for $400/ticket. I use my profits for the VCU tickets to increase my donation to VCU, which in turn gets me better extra seats at the next re-seating (it does not affect my regular seats, which are guaranteed for life).
My point was, the Bonnies do seem to have at least one fan who will travel anywhere to see his/her team...

That is one reason to drive from NY...

Well, I get that. I understand traveling to away games. I've only missed 6 VCU games in the last year. Once went to 231 in a row.

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go to so many VCU games!

All playing aside that is a very impressive feat

So, you buy season tickets to Richmond games and then use some of them but sell some of the others? Or you sell some of them and use some of the others? And you buy stock in VCU basketball with your profits? I'm confused. Can you explain this again, in much greater detail, fmrick?

Good Saturday crowd. Updated stats below

Checking in on attendance and the average currently (5,472) stands down about 16% from last year's end of year number (6,491).

Longwood - 6,717
St. Francis - 6,851
IUPUI - 5,015
Hampton - 4,475
Wake Forest - 6,076
Coppin State - 4,220
Oral Roberts - 5,107
ODU - 5,617
URI - 5,006
Duquesne - 4,603
St. Bonaventure - 6,503

Checking in on attendance and the average currently (5,472) stands down about 16% from last year's end of year number (6,491).

Longwood - 6,717
St. Francis - 6,851
IUPUI - 5,015
Hampton - 4,475
Wake Forest - 6,076
Coppin State - 4,220
Oral Roberts - 5,107
ODU - 5,617
URI - 5,006
Duquesne - 4,603
St. Bonaventure - 6,503
I'd love to know how many of this tickets are actually sold tickets versus free tickets we are giving away. Because we are giving away a lot of free tickets.

I would hypothesize that a December Saturday game that starts at 7:30 is less attractive than a January Saturday game that begins at 6:00 pm for the fan that just comes out for something to do on a Saturday night with the family (the Flying Squirrels-like crowd).

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli

St. Francis - 6,851
Thanks for the summary 2k. I was perplexed by the St. Francis total. Then I remembered that was the 11 am midweek “elementary school game”. Kind of a sad statement in itself really that it is the high water mark.

My most visited message boards are Investor Village. I use the same screen name over there. I retired when I was 53. The market has been very very good to me.
Do you have much experience in trading Agricultural commodities? I just took a class on that at Tech last semester and it was the most fascinating class I have taken in college so far.

I would hypothesize that a December Saturday game that starts at 7:30 is less attractive than a January Saturday game that begins at 6:00 pm for the fan that just comes out for something to do on a Saturday night with the family (the Flying Squirrels-like crowd).
Bingo. We are literally handing out free kids tickets to every home game. Look at the crowd and see how many kids are there. A lot. Cheap family entertainment but a start time of 7:30 is a bit too late for this crowd whereas 6 pm is the sweet spot.

Every weekend game is a kids' club game minus VCU.
Every single game except VCU, I believe has been a kids club game.

I guess they will have to make a decision come VCU, do they want free kids who nominally route for UR, or do they want their $50 tickets sold and the place filled with VCU fans. I don't know many Spider fans (who aren't already season ticket holders) shelling out $50 bucks a pop to come to see us lose by 15 to VCU while having VCU's fan rub it in our faces and chant their silly little VCU chant throughout the game. I'd rather get a root canal than sit through that.

Questioning the “vision” of our fans seems like a familiar story line...o_O
Not to bask the optimism and not in the posted pics were the three rows center court below my seats easily 25 seats belong in to two big donors occupied by five

Some used to bitch when there were not enough fannies in the seats. Now we are bitching that there are too many fannies in the seats and that the fannies are too small.

This is what a losing program can bring out in the most ardent Spider fans. Believe we all know which fanny needs to be gone.

Last edited:
I'd rather get a root canal than sit through that.

"Root canal night at the Robins Center! Bring your dentist to the game and get in free! Also, don't forget your free Spiderlings tickets and free grandparents tickets! And we're handing out six packs of Miller Lite -- ABSOLUTELY FREE! Plus, at halftime, see the Girls of the A10 perform their NSFW show! Completely free! For tickets, just show up at the door. EVERYTHING IS TOTALLY FREE!"

"Root canal night at the Robins Center! Bring your dentist to the game and get in free! Also, don't forget your free Spiderlings tickets and free grandparents tickets! And we're handing out six packs of Miller Lite -- ABSOLUTELY FREE! Plus, at halftime, see the Girls of the A10 perform their NSFW show! Completely free! For tickets, just show up at the door. EVERYTHING IS TOTALLY FREE!"

Yes and why limit those chosen to pick up the $1000 cash strewn on the Robins Center floor - ten "lucky" fans will be chosen at random to have the opportunity to pick up some "free" cash........................

Reactions: Eight Legger
Why do we care that we give away free or discounted tickets? Has anyone in the athletic department or on the baskebt staff ever said anything along the lines of “our program is doing well, as evidenced by our attendance numbers”?

I would believe and hope that our athletic department understands that the attendance numbers are not indicative of the the team doing well, but figure it is better to have fans in the seats than have an empty stadium, both for the betterment of the atmosphere for our players as well as hopefully making more spider fans.

Not to bask the optimism and not in the posted pics were the three rows center court below my seats easily 25 seats belong in to two big donors occupied by five
I can safely say that I have no idea what you’re trying to say localspid. Maybe redo since my curiosity is now piqued...

I am going to climb on my soap box for a minute. I have been giving donations for close to 40 years. I have given probably more than I should have. I have been buying six premium football and basketball tickets for many years. This is because I have two kids who live in the Richmond area and will come to a game now and then. I have been told the prices of my tickets will be going up next year. I know I can choose to not buy tickets or buy cheaper tickets but that is not the point. It pisses me off that if I come to a game I have to pay more while the university is giving away free tickets by the buckets. Also, my wife and I can go to the terrace before a game but if a family member comes they can't. We can give away free tickets but are we worried a donor might end up with an extra hotdog one night.

Right there with you Packer. Almost identical story. We are a family of 5 that brought our kids to games as babies and now they have kids so our "contribution" has grown to 10 season tickets plus Spider Club. We have 8 people older than 15 who are not allowed on the SC terrace. So we wave at them and feel bad but do manage to sneak a cookie out ever so often.

I can safely say that I have no idea what you’re trying to say localspid. Maybe redo since my curiosity is now piqued...
lower center section are seats of some of the bigger donor and mostly empty and have been for most games.
Dx36FUJU0AUiFne

Based on experiences told by many here, sounds like we have an Athl Dept that is lazy, cut corners, values PR spin over winning, rips off their diehard customers, and treats their supporters like sh*t?

There are two sections of that I believe. Center section where Ryan butler sits is usually pretty full and has what I suspect are families of coaches and players. To their right behind the bench is another section that often is half empty. I feel like this has been the case in recent memory not just this year.

Right there with you Packer. Almost identical story. We are a family of 5 that brought our kids to games as babies and now they have kids so our "contribution" has grown to 10 season tickets plus Spider Club. We have 8 people older than 15 who are not allowed on the SC terrace. So we wave at them and feel bad but do manage to sneak a cookie out ever so often.
I refuse to go to the terrace. I didn't go last year and haven't been this year. If my family member isn't welcome, then neither am I.

I refuse to go to the terrace. I didn't go last year and haven't been this year. If my family member isn't welcome, then neither am I.
Are minors allowed? If not, then it's probably an ABC thing, not a UR thing.

Like everything else rules are different for some people. I see some are allowed to bring adult guests that aren't family. And it's not based on number of season tickets. So I have ten seats for my family but only allowed two adults in terrace.

I am going to climb on my soap box for a minute. I have been giving donations for close to 40 years. I have given probably more than I should have. I have been buying six premium football and basketball tickets for many years. This is because I have two kids who live in the Richmond area and will come to a game now and then. I have been told the prices of my tickets will be going up next year. I know I can choose to not buy tickets or buy cheaper tickets but that is not the point. It pisses me off that if I come to a game I have to pay more while the university is giving away free tickets by the buckets. Also, my wife and I can go to the terrace before a game but if a family member comes they can't. We can give away free tickets but are we worried a donor might end up with an extra hotdog one night.
Totally agree...who said prices are going up next year? We could refuse to buy en masse

No where does that article say that our basketball program is doing great because attendance is up. It’s flaunting attendance numbers, which included a record number of season tickets.

Saying we’re happy and proud of a record number of attendees and saying we’re happy and proud of the number of basketball wins are two different things.

I think you're sort of splitting hairs here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT