ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Boy oh boy, maybe a girl fight

Interesting. Shows Texas thinks bigger than RPI. This could be fun to watch.

Shaka and Texas need to go 'all in' and claim Havoc nationally. RPI can do their Havoc thing on games in Virginia that aren't televised nationally since they have their Virginia SCC filing but they'll need to drop it for any games on National TV and out of state.

Imagine the Sheep are playing at Duquense and wearing their "Havoc" warmup shirts and the Feds come serve Uncle Ed with a Cease and Desist Order.

Can UT create a pep band/dance group called The Peppas or nah?

And that chant thing they do at Broad Street U, didn't they steal that from another college or pro team?

They actually both stole it from The Rebirth Brass Band.

I hope Texas goes all in and tries fight the trademark protection in VA once they get it nationally. They probably have an argument that the brand is more tied to the coach than the brand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRNAz63F7Qc

What a major blunder by VCU. For a few hundred dollars they could have trademarked the HAVOC thing. As a University with a School of Branding, they should have known better. This means that VCU has been branded. Ouch. That smarts.

Wichita St. "stole" it from VCU after their visit to the Seigel Center in 2012, then used it during their F4 run just like we did during 2011.

VCU took it from a private band, as the other poster mentioned. Don't let your hate for VCU cloud the facts. Texas only applied for "horns havoc" and "house of havoc", as VCU has shown a pattern of use with just "havoc" that would be hard to trademark by another program.

My neighbors kid played in the Wichita Pep Band back in 2005. Wichita was playing it then. It totally makes sense too. Nobody wants to go to war with wheat. Sheep on the other hand?

Reactions: KWeaver
I don't think a coach could claim the rights to a trademark, as he is an employee of the University. Just as with patents, his production as an employee, belongs with his employer.

During my working days, I remember not only signing confidentiality agreements but agreements stating that all discoveries, copyrights and patents would be owned by the company. It may depend on what he did or did not sign.

Below is a thread from December 2012 about WSU's "war chant" since they didn't really know the lyrics. In the thread you'll see the, talking about how they stole it from VCU. For them it gained popularity during their 2013 NCAA run.

They did not play it when VCU visit Koch Arena in 2011, or when we played them in the NCAAs in the spring of 2012.

I can't disprove your neighbors daughter playing it in 2005 though,

Sorry Gopher+RamFan, but you appear to be intellectually challenged. You may want to return to the comfort of your coloring books.

Originally posted by whampas:
Rodent-Sheep dude. Who cares? Why are you so obsessed with UR?
Obsessed? We've got at least 3 threads and 8 pages devoted to their ex-coach. Ex-coach! Who the eff cares?

we could have done a better job protecting our spider logo trademark against Spyder apparel.

"don't start no stuff won't be no stuff"...I am so glad this is apparently a vcu thing. I wish I knew this earlier. If you say that as a basketball fan (& you're not a professional rap artist) it's just so funny. In a we're laughing at you kind of way. Try it, say it out loud. Oh man keep that as a thing forever vcu Deserves own trademark.

Hey Marley, how many times have you POSTED on their board? Zero for me.

It is almost inconceivably stupid that a university with a "brand center" seemingly forgot to trademark Havoc, the very thing that they have marketing the living heck out of the past five years. And it appears Texas caught them with their pants around their ankles given that in Wade's press conference just yesterday, it was Havoc this, Havoc that. Nice job, sheep.

No, I guess not. I don't see the problem with a thread about their ex-coach on our board. Particularly when they thought he would never ever leave because they have the best program in all of basketball. Now they have a 65 page thread titled "Screw Shaka". I think it's hilarious. Oh they also have an 85 page Fur thread. That's obsession. I'd never give them the satisfaction of posting on their board but it sure is fun to read. Talking about misinformed and koolaide drinkers.

This post was edited on 4/9 9:51 PM by whampas

If this is the case, it really is the absolute height of stupidity. I couldn't tell from the article whether they just forgot or failed to file for the federal trademark or whether they tried and were told that it couldn't be trademarked at the federal level or what. But if Texas is seeking federal ones, then you'd think it could have been. Completely hilarious either way.

Divorces are always ugly. They will not only be fighting over the Hack-Voc brand, but probably over who gets to keep which kids also! :).

VCU got a home and home with Texas out of this divorce, so to them having the Longhorns in the Costco Center is wonderful. Will they be saying screw Shaka then? Will Texas try to buy their way out of that game? Stay tuned....

70, you're right. Should be fun to watch it unfold. I heard a Texas fan say that they find $250,000 in the clothes dryer every day.I bet buyout.

Originally posted by whampas:
70, you're right. Should be fun to watch it unfold. I heard a Texas fan say that they find $250,000 in the clothes dryer every day.I bet buyout.
Probably already made $250,000 off their newly trademarked Havoc gear. I wonder if they send the check in a burnt orange colored Havoc envelop.

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:
Shaka and Texas need to go 'all in' and claim Havoc nationally. RPI can do their Havoc thing on games in Virginia that aren't televised nationally since they have their Virginia SCC filing but they'll need to drop it for any games on National TV and out of state.

Imagine the Sheep are playing at Duquense and wearing their "Havoc" warmup shirts and the Feds come serve Uncle Ed with a Cease and Desist Order.
Id' buy the federal Marshal who served that warrant a drink at a Pittsburgh bar if that happened.

Apparently Texas dropped their copyright claim. VCU is claiming victory over mighty Texas on this one.

Maybe the Havoc brand is becoming tainted here lately and Texas wanted to stay away from it.

Maybe Texas is actually proud of their school name and wants that on their warmups instead of a cheeseball noun that leads to confusion, oh sorry "havoc".

Reactions: urfan1
Oh so that's why they wanted in the first place, so that they later realize they could take "honor" in their university and not use it.

Gotcha.

In the end it wasn't worth the legal fees and drama for either school.

Oh so that's why they wanted in the first place, so that they later realize they could take "honor" in their university and not use it.

Gotcha.

In the end it wasn't worth the legal fees and drama for either school.
exactly. it's not worth it. because it's stupid to define your program with one word like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT