ADVERTISEMENT

Player comparison

97spiderfan

Spider's Club
Feb 2, 2005
Thought I would do a little blind comparison between 2 of our players who play the same position over our last 3 competitive games (ODU, TT, SJU). Didn't include Presbyterian cause that game was a blow out and our normal rotation was effected.
Min: FG: 3PG: FT: RB: AST: TO: Total PTS​

Player A: 68/ 14-20/ 2-3/ 5-9/ 9/ 4/ 7/ 35
Player B: 91/ 1-6/ 0-4/ 1-2/ 5/ 7/ 3/ 3

3. Questions.

1. Which player do you want starting and playing the most minutes?
2. Which player do you want in the game if you have 1 offensive possession left to tie the game as we did today?
3. Which player did we have in the game this afternoon?

I'm sure the more astute among us will be able to figure out who Player A and Player B is. I like Player A. Why can't we see more of Player A.

Last edited:
Thought I would do a little blind comparison between 2 of our players who play the same position over our last 3 competitive games (ODU, TT, SJU). Didn't include Presbyterian cause that game was a blow out and our normal rotation was effected.

3. Questions.

2. Which player do you want in the game if you have 1 offensive possession left to tie the game as we did today?

I'm sure the more astute among us will be able to figure out who Player A and Player B is. I like Player A. Why can't we see more of Player A.
I was told there would be no math here.
All I know is:
Trey Davis 5th year senior, career average 3.9 points
Deion Taylor 5th year senior, career average 3.5 points
Chris Mooney Coach, UR winning % prior to this season .565

3. Questions.

Why would we put practicality ahead of loyalty?

Mooney is a good guy I like him, but it can be to the detriment of the whole when seniority takes place over skill. I have nothing against players A and B, but I think it's hard for Mooney to pull the plug on these guys at this point. Lets see how the final chapters unfold...

Have to admit that our coaches know more than I know. Moreover, they spent large amounts of time with the players in order to train and evaluate them. Thus, I am generally good with their decisions. OSC

Ella, have you ever seen a recruit that wasn't going to be the next best thing? Really love your optimism but sometimes the real world has to set in. A lot of Mooney's recruits have not panned out. Next year is going to be a problem. PF apparently isn't very good yet and there is nobody with any size in the pipeline. Our current shooters aren't good enough to cover for this.

Ella, have you ever seen a recruit that wasn't going to be the next best thing? Really love your optimism but sometimes the real world has to set in. A lot of Mooney's recruits have not panned out. Next year is going to be a problem. PF apparently isn't very good yet and there is nobody with any size in the pipeline. Our current shooters aren't good enough to cover for this.
We have to assume that "PF apparently isn't very good yet" because he's not getting minutes due to either skill at this point or injury????? He got some good minutes against Wake, and looked OK to me inside. He brings some height & aggressiveness...something we surely need. It would be nice to see him get a few minutes to relieve TJ or DT or TA to 1) give them a breath of air & to get PF in there as a physical presence and 2) hopefully get him some experience because it would seem we'll need him next year, and there is something to be said of building blocks in this year.

I have heard Mooney say several times (in previous seasons) "I should have found a way to get him in the games more often" or "i need to find a way to get our younger guys more playing time".

I need to find a way to make him listen to himself more often.

Agree Rick. Things like that, along with stat lines for players A and B are hard to see/hear. If we were dancing every other year then fine, do what gets the results but when the same problems keep happening you would think at least a minor adjustment would be made

Reactions: SpiderK and urfan1
I have heard Mooney say several times (in previous seasons) "I should have found a way to get him in the games more often" or "i need to find a way to get our younger guys more playing time".

Yeah, this is sort of maddening. Either he is just giving us lip service repeatedly or he genuinely wants to get them more time and then either repeatedly fails to do so or forgets to do so. None of those are really encouraging options.

I don't really care what he does, I just want to have a legit chance to win every year. Whatever it takes to get there, I hope he does it. If it means playing only juniors and seniors, so be it. If it means freshmen basically will never play, ok. But don't say one thing and then continually do the other thing.

Yeah, this is sort of maddening. Either he is just giving us lip service repeatedly or he genuinely wants to get them more time and then either repeatedly fails to do so or forgets to do so. None of those are really encouraging options.

I don't really care what he does, I just want to have a legit chance to win every year. Whatever it takes to get there, I hope he does it. If it means playing only juniors and seniors, so be it. If it means freshmen basically will never play, ok. But don't say one thing and then continually do the other thing.
I couldn't say it better.

i think 9 player rotation will not affect negatively but will keep first fresh legs and second game practice even if only 2 minutes. Baby always always falls when learning to walk.

Reactions: 64Spider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT