ADVERTISEMENT

Peter Thomas Elevated to Associate Head Coach

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
We went 2-4 in those games and multiple players transferred out after the season. Clearly not all attributable to him, but seems the title is based on loyalty more than performance.

Reactions: Eight Legger
We went 2-4 in those games and multiple players transferred out after the season. Clearly not all attributable to him, but seems the title is based on loyalty more than performance.
not loyalty. ranking on the coaching staff.

Reactions: plydogg
Did we have no associate head coach last year, or..? And yeah, the "earned" part of Mooney's statement, while specifically mentioning his job as interim head coach seems a bit off. I'm sure it was a difficult situation, but we went 2-4 where it counts. If you want to promote him based on how he handled all the behind the scenes stuff, just say that.

Did we have no associate head coach last year, or..? And yeah, the "earned" part of Mooney's statement, while specifically mentioning his job as interim head coach seems a bit off. I'm sure it was a difficult situation, but we went 2-4 where it counts. If you want to promote him based on how he handled all the behind the scenes stuff, just say that.
I think it was vacant after Rob Jones left.

Reactions: Eight Legger
This is exactly as expected at UR. Clone was every bit as pathetic as his mentor in last year's debut. Spout the company line, do no harm, play nice, give cookie cutter responses, and win 1/3 of your games.

The National search for Mooney's replacement has ended.

This is exactly as expected at UR. Clone was every bit as pathetic as his mentor in last year's debut. Spout the company line, do no harm, play nice, give cookie cutter responses, and win 1/3 of your games.

Nice word choice. Clone is the perfect description. I wouldn’t have believed it, but saw it first hand.

One would hope if Mooney decided to move on that there would be a totally new direction, but the “safe” move is obviously already in the building.

Nice word choice. Clone is the perfect description. I wouldn’t have believed it, but saw it first hand.

One would hope if Mooney decided to move on that there would be a totally new direction, but the “safe” move is obviously already in the building.
Mooney won’t decide to move on. The big question is whether someone with guts will move on from him. So far the safer bet is extensions. It’s the way our money guys and “leadership” work.

Reactions: whampas

the heir apparent even has a sweet blowout loss to VCU on the head coaching resumé already, most impressive!

I love how Mooney's rationale for promoting Peter was to emphasize that he was a good representative of Richmond. Um, that is a job prerequisite. If any coach is not a good representative of Richmond, they should be fired. This quote is perfect summation of our athletic department standards, we not only reward but also promote simply performing standard job requirements. Yeah, most of what he did on the court sucked, but that is not something that we really look for here at Richmond. Just stand up there and look pretty.

I agree. They set the bar so low I hope these guys can do the limbo. It's crazy. We are back to giving credit for wearing a suit, going out of your house and back without shooting someone, and not dropping f bombs in press conferences.
Yes, pretty much want Mooney said. That is the bar at UR. Thomas showed up for his press conferences and all his paid duties and was respectful in his communications. The team played all of its game and I guess competed in them.

The end of the year isn't all of Peter but all Peter Thomas showed me during his 6 game tenure as head coach, that he exactly like Mooney. Talks like him, coaches like him, loses like him, gets embarrassed by VCU just like him and seemingly is not that upset when he loses, just like Mooney.

I agree. They set the bar so low I hope these guys can do the limbo. It's crazy. We are back to giving credit for wearing a suit, going out of your house and back without shooting someone, and not dropping f bombs in press conferences.
We Are Family

It’s A Family Affair

All In The Family

is it Mooney's two sentence comment that has everyone riled up about the Thomas promotion?
he's our top assistant. probably close between him and Boyden, but they picked Thomas as the top last year. so he fills the Associate HC role.

if Mooney is ever let go, I assume we'd have a whole new staff. I don't think we hand the reigns over to any of our assistants. we haven't done that since Dooley I don't think.

anyway, congrats to Peter Thomas and his family.

Mooney will never be fired, and when you coach someplace for more than two decades, usually they let you pick your successor.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
is it Mooney's two sentence comment that has everyone riled up about the Thomas promotion?
he's our top assistant. probably close between him and Boyden, but they picked Thomas as the top last year. so he fills the Associate HC role.

if Mooney is ever let go, I assume we'd have a whole new staff. I don't think we hand the reigns over to any of our assistants. we haven't done that since Dooley I don't think.

anyway, congrats to Peter Thomas and his family.
I don't get it either, Sman. I guess they wanted Mooney to be all negative when commenting about Thomas. Maybe they were hoping for something like this: "Well, thanks for asking John, you know, we only went 2-4 with him and he never yelled at our players or got mad at anyone, so I really don't understand why he got the promotion, but being the head coach, I will just have to try my best to make it work with him." I can't help but laugh at our board sometimes.

Mooney will never be fired, and when you coach someplace for more than two decades, usually they let you pick your successor.
I know it's the joke here that he'll never be fired, but he's only been renewed after really good seasons or when he's set the roster up for what looks like long term success. he didn't get extended after 15-18 season.

so I guess some here will just have to hope for another bad year or two.

I know it's the joke here that he'll never be fired, but he's only been renewed after really good seasons or when he's set the roster up for what looks like long term success. he didn't get extended after 15-18 season.

Mooney is not going to be fired at Richmond. The administrators and/or trustees have made that abundantly clear.

Unless the NCAA makes changes soon to the portal & NIL, I feel strongly that these two pieces will ultimately be the undoing of Mooney. Adapting to rapid change is not a Mooney strongpoint, and he is not very good at player combinations or playing time management. The fluidity of largely remaking a team annually, and the struggle with deciding which players are best together (& for how long) makes it likely that multiple mediocre seasons are coming to a team near you. I do not see 5/6-year, senior laden veteran teams on the horizon.

We know that Mooney will decide when enough is enough, but consistent annual struggles (add that some of his best players could be enticed by $$$ to leave the program) could eventually convince the all-time winningest coach at Richmond that the announcers circuit is a pretty good way to stay connected to the sport. Being an announcer would allow him to follow his son's career more closely. I would guess that Mooney could be pretty good at an analyst job.

I can't say how many years it will be before Mooney reaches this conclusion. How many mediocre years will it take to bruise his ego or cause him to worry about damaging his reputation? This year is likely to be two in a row, time will tell how many more. I am willing to bet Ulla's farm that this is how (and when) Mooney's departure occurs.

Well he might not have gotten extended after those seasons, but he sure didn't get fired, and he's still our coach! He will never be fired here -- it's written in stone and laminated in polycarbonate. Whenever he decides to retire, he will pick the next guy.

When's the last time a guy coached someplace for two decades and THEN was fired? I can't think of an instance.

Mooney is not going to be fired at Richmond. The administrators and/or trustees have made that abundantly clear.

Unless the NCAA makes changes soon to the portal & NIL, I feel strongly that these two pieces will ultimately be the undoing of Mooney. Adapting to rapid change is not a Mooney strongpoint, and he is not very good at player combinations or playing time management. The fluidity of largely remaking a team annually, and the struggle with deciding which players are best together (& for how long) makes it likely that multiple mediocre seasons are coming to a team near you. I do not see 5/6-year, senior laden veteran teams on the horizon.

We know that Mooney will decide when enough is enough, but consistent annual struggles (add that some of his best players could be enticed by $$$ to leave the program) could eventually convince the all-time winningest coach at Richmond that the announcers circuit is a pretty good way to stay connected to the sport. Being an announcer would allow him to follow his son's career more closely. I would guess that Mooney could be pretty good at an analyst job.

I can't say how many years it will be before Mooney reaches this conclusion. How many mediocre years will it take to bruise his ego or cause him to worry about damaging his reputation? This year is likely to be two in a row, time will tell how many more. I am willing to bet Ulla's farm that this is how (and when) Mooney's departure occurs.
.55 is long term mediocrity. Sprinkle in NCAA’s every 6 years (not good enough), and 8-25 vs VCU (atrocious). But never bet against Coach For Life.

I agree that "fired" is unlikely. we're not in the habit of eating large multi-year contracts.
I think it's more likely that we'd just not extend if we struggle for too long. and if the contract naturally gets to a year or maybe two, then it would be time.

but Mooney can reset the clock at any point with a strong season.

It is really tough to walk away from a million plus annual gig especially when your performance is excused by your boss. But who knows, he had a heart issue last year, he has made enough money to set him and his family up for a lifetime, his kids are getting older now. I don't think he worries about this "reputation". I think he likes the $$$ and has enough enablers around him to keep his ego OK.

But yes, I agree we are not firing him. it isn't what we do, for so many reasons, it is our culture at UR.

I agree that "fired" is unlikely. we're not in the habit of eating large multi-year contracts.
I think it's more likely that we'd just not extend if we struggle for too long. and if the contract naturally gets to a year or maybe two, then it would be time.

but Mooney can reset the clock at any point with a strong season.
Beating Iowa gave him at least 30 more years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I don't think 95% of this board even realizes we beat Iowa, or if they did, they sure do act like it never happened.
Beating Iowa was great, fantastic. But sports is all about what happens now and in the future, not what happened in the past.

And did we build off that A-10 championship and NCAA tourney win? No, we finished 12th last year and have 10 players on our roster right now, a roster that lacks star and major impact players. I care about what is happening now and what our future looks like and I don't like what we I see. There is nothing to be excited about right now, we are staring down a mediocre future, the same type of team that Mooney gives us about 75% of the time. I'm sick of waiting 4-6 years for another chance at a miracle run. Our program should be in better shape than that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT