ADVERTISEMENT

Rodney Terry - Texas Interim Coach

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
With Beard being let go at UT because of his off the court issues, Rodney Terry has taken over as Interim Head Coach at Texas and some publications out there say he has a shot to become head coach depending on how season ends. Some might not remember but he was an assistant coach at UR for about 2 weeks, but apparently HR didn't like something on his resume that was not accurate and told him to leave, so he went on to be assistant at UT after UR and then took other jobs along the way and is now head coach for the #6 ranked team in the country. I guess admissions is not the only tough spot at UR.

Hey, he lasted 6 whole weeks. I don't remember exactly how things went down with him here, but leaving UR for Texas was a no-brainer even there weren't any issues on this end.

(He's had stints as head coach at Fresno State and UTEP as well.)

I thought he had a Resume type issue, which they swept under the rug when he left for Texas. He probably would have left for Texas anyways if they came calling as he is from there and is apparently well known there on the recruiting circuit.

Just an interesting tie back to UR with a coach that quite possible could take a team to the final four this year.

It was 100% NOT Rodney Terry who ever had a resume issue. Rodney was a former uncw asst of Wainwright's who was with us for a few weeks but then got a asst job at Texas so u can understand why he left.

Trap u r thinking of Mike Wilson. See old link below. He had inaccuracies on his bio and/or resume depending on who u believe. Note he also got in trouble with NCAA for his time at Auburn a couple years later, allegedly paying recruits along those lines. I'm not sure if he ever got another D1 job after Richmond, probably not. Think Ole Jer turned to Gary Decesare after Wilson left. Neither our finest moments.

Dont ever remember Wilson. Just Terry. Wilson must have only been at UR for a few days.

So maybe we feel good about Terry and if Texas hangs a banner can UR hang a little banner in his honor?

The Decesare hire never really bothered me like other fans on here. It was something a lot of programs did back then and still do time to time to not only get high profile recruits, but also open a pipeline. Decesare was coming from one of the best programs in NYC - St. Raymonds, that produced a lot of high profile players and he was very high up in the Adidas circuit of HS basketball at the time. I think the thought with him we would get Merritt to UR with him, but also maybe other recruits as well through his adidas and NYC connections, but it just never panned out. I like the gamble and attempt to make it happen though, seems better to take that gamble than just hire former players - which seems to irk people on this board from time to time.

And then usually the follow-up question is Merritt - wasn't he a bust at UR? I don't think so. On his frosh season, when we beat Kansas and made the NCAA, he played 20 minutes and started 13 games as a frosh. He played like a frosh, up and down at times, but he was a key player on that team. Similar to Moliva - the other key Frosh on that team. So I wouldn't say bust. Probably didn't turn out as good as we had hoped, but certainly not as bad as other recruits that have busted.

Last edited:
Dont ever remember Wilson. Just Terry. Wilson must have only been at UR for a few days.

So maybe we feel good about Terry and if Texas hangs a banner can UR hang a little banner in his honor?

Well it was only a few days, maybe a week tops. It occurred roughly around the same time but didn't want u attributing that to Rodney Terry.

idk think Texas is more likely to be out by 2nd round. less w more. & John Hardt is big hat no cattle but u also got a lot of that down in Austin. Only took them about a month to fire Beard.

And their dbag football coach isn't much different...

Good correction, I thought it was Terry.

Texas is big time athletics. You can get away with almost anything as long as you win. But one thing that has changed a lot in our society - domestic violence. I think Texas drew the line there and said - we can't be associated. And I agree with them. I am willing to bet if this was a bad DUI, maybe even drug offense, or something of the sort - he would be still be coach.

The Decesare hire never really bothered me like other fans on here. It was something a lot of programs did back then and still do time to time to not only get high profile recruits, but also open a pipeline. Decesare was coming from one of the best programs in NYC - St. Raymonds, that produced a lot of high profile players and he was very high up in the Adidas circuit of HS basketball at the time. I think the thought with him we would get Merritt to UR with him, but also maybe other recruits as well through his adidas and NYC connections, but it just never panned out. I like the gamble and attempt to make it happen though, seems better to take that gamble than just hire former players - which seems to irk people on this board from time to time.

And then usually the follow-up question is Merritt - wasn't he a bust at UR? I don't think so. On his frosh season, when we beat Kansas and made the NCAA, he played 20 minutes and started 13 games as a frosh. He played like a frosh, up and down at times, but he was a key player on that team. Similar to Moliva - the other key Frosh on that team. So I wouldn't say bust. Probably didn't turn out as good as we had hoped, but certainly not as bad as other recruits that have busted.
If he spent as much time on his game as he did hitting women(something we should not omit when discussing his time/legacy here), he would of been one of the all time greats. Instead he was one of our all time idiots and probably closed the book for good on admissions making exceptions to that type of recruiting style. Hard to call him a bust, but certainly a disappointment considering. I also could not see him and Mooney coexisting under any arrangement. At least some of our other problem issues like Buckingham (Whom I loved) and Derrick Williams were of the non-violent variety.

I thought he had a Resume type issue, which they swept under the rug when he left for Texas. He probably would have left for Texas anyways if they came calling as he is from there and is apparently well known there on the recruiting circuit.

Just an interesting tie back to UR with a coach that quite possible could take a team to the final four this year.
If I'm Texas, I'm double checking the resume and doing a thorough background check before making the next hire.

Good correction, I thought it was Terry.

Texas is big time athletics. You can get away with almost anything as long as you win. But one thing that has changed a lot in our society - domestic violence. I think Texas drew the line there and said - we can't be associated. And I agree with them. I am willing to bet if this was a bad DUI, maybe even drug offense, or something of the sort - he would be still be coach.

Yes I said "only" took them about a month as a joke. What took them so long. Plus they could fire with cause and not have to pay a cent. If they kept him that ability might have gone away. But I agree with u if they could have gotten away with it or if it wasn't so public they probably would have. Austin likes their progressive rep, and don't get me wrong it is a city unlike rest of Texas, but they close their eyes when it's them. Kinda like Sandusky walking the halls of Penn St. fwiw I've heard the Texas AD wanted to keep Beard, who probably would have won big there. Good school bad leadership imo.

re: Merritt. On court only. Pretty good player just overhyped imo. had some good games. But Ole Jer gave him the keys too early in 03-04. Finally he wised up cut his minutes and relied more heavily on Beilein holdover guys Skrocki & Dobbins. Otherwise it was going to derail the season. he was fine as a role player that year, he was only a freshman no biggie. But part of season he was treated more than that & I think partly due to Decesare. I think any coach should have control over staff hiring so no issue by me there. Just didn't work out. U had Wilson, then Decesare, the Merritt thing, we had some other academic issues...Miller was happy to see Jerry go I know that for a fact. Miller probably had the UR admin on his back too idk. Heck we sued Wainwright when he tried to welch out on his buyout. Jerry claimed we "forced" him out which had a little bit of truth but absolutely no legal basis.

Merritt was mediocre here in our history of PGs.
certainly wasn't the top 50 type recruit he was hyped as.

Yes I said "only" took them about a month as a joke. What took them so long. Plus they could fire with cause and not have to pay a cent. If they kept him that ability might have gone away. But I agree with u if they could have gotten away with it or if it wasn't so public they probably would have. Austin likes their progressive rep, and don't get me wrong it is a city unlike rest of Texas, but they close their eyes when it's them. Kinda like Sandusky walking the halls of Penn St. fwiw I've heard the Texas AD wanted to keep Beard, who probably would have won big there. Good school bad leadership imo.

re: Merritt. On court only. Pretty good player just overhyped imo. had some good games. But Ole Jer gave him the keys too early in 03-04. Finally he wised up cut his minutes and relied more heavily on Beilein holdover guys Skrocki & Dobbins. Otherwise it was going to derail the season. he was fine as a role player that year, he was only a freshman no biggie. But part of season he was treated more than that & I think partly due to Decesare. I think any coach should have control over staff hiring so no issue by me there. Just didn't work out. U had Wilson, then Decesare, the Merritt thing, we had some other academic issues...Miller was happy to see Jerry go I know that for a fact. Miller probably had the UR admin on his back too idk. Heck we sued Wainwright when he tried to welch out on his buyout. Jerry claimed we "forced" him out which had a little bit of truth but absolutely no legal basis.
I hate when people say JW relied on Beilein guys, cause didn't Beilein rely on Dooley guys when his first season when they made the NCAA tourney? To me - I don't care what guys are there, as long as we make the tourney. And both did it, in different ways - but at the end of the day, I just want to make the NCAA tourney.

Miller wanted JW gone because he was pushing the envelope too much. JW wanted out because he realized real quick, UR was not going to budge on things he thought would take us to the next level - like lower standards for recruits. It was a mutual decision to part ways. Especially after the whole AD Vassallo fiasco.

Big schools like Texas are willing to put up with a lot if you win. I just don't think Beard had enough in the bank to fall back on there yet. if he had history there and had been there for 5-6 years, maybe he survives. But being brand new - I think they decided to move on fast.

I hate when people say JW relied on Beilein guys, cause didn't Beilein rely on Dooley guys when his first season when they made the NCAA tourney? To me - I don't care what guys are there, as long as we make the tourney. And both did it, in different ways - but at the end of the day, I just want to make the NCAA tourney.

Me too. Just answering your Merritt question. Did not mean much by it. & Merritt wasn’t exactly relevant except u brought up bc he was a “Decesare guy” so think u did exact same thing.

But yes Beilein did win w Dooley guys, he won with Dooley & his own guys. The difference to me is Dooley guys had never won while the Beilein guys wainwright inherited came from a very good winning program.

But yes Beilein did win w Dooley guys, he won with Dooley & his own guys. The difference to me is Dooley guys had never won while the Beilein guys wainwright inherited came from a very good winning program.
I don't discredit either for winning with other coach's recruits.
the difference to me is Beilein left the cupboard full, while JW left it bare.

and I don't buy that JW didn't fully understand the recruiting parameters at UR. that would be laid out in detail in the interviewing process.

Reactions: GKiller
I think JW understood the recruiting parameters when he took the job. I think what happened is he made the tourney in 2004, thought he had an opportunity to push the envelope further and passed what the school originally agreed upon, and the school said no. We complain on this board all the time about recruiting and trying to get top 100 recruits, etc. There are only so many recruits in the top 100 or even top 150 who fit UR admission standards - and usually those that do, get taken by higher profile schools like Stanford, Vandy, etc. JW tried to push the administration and the administration pushed back - so he left.

Either way - to me the only thing that matters is NCAA appearances. JB got us one. JW got us one. Thank you to both.

JB was screwed out of the second one, don't forget that.
Eff Tom Yeager for that petulant move. And Jeff Bourne, the JMU AD who was ok with it time and time again when it wasn't his school (Including us) but cried about it when that same rule was applied to JMU and tried to turn it into a national pity party for the Dukebags.

Last edited:
Eff Tom Yeager for that petulant move. And the Jeff Bourne, the JMU AD who was ok with it time and time again when it wasn't his school (Including us) but cried about it when that same rule was applied to JMU and tried to turn it into a national pity party for the Dukebags.
and eff the W&M guy (president or AD ... Sullivan?) who wanted to punish us for the move by not playing us to make travel more difficult and expensive.

Not playing WM in MBB anytime would be a blessing...possibly in disguise to some...but a blessing.

W's mean next to nothing for us and L's are anchors around our neck. Bad deal logically.

Let the rivalry live through football.

He had a good run at Fresno at the end, but couldn't turn around UTEP. But now at Texas - he has them as potential final four team. I would think if they make the sweet 16 under him or further, it would be tough not to give him the job - unless another big name appears that Texas opens up the bank for.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Not sure what kind of coach he is or isn't, but Beard recruited a team of all-stars there and Terry has it doing what it was expected to do. I would always be a little leery of elevating a guy who in a situation like that, but who knows. It's more impressive when an interim coach takes a team that sucked (like Steve Wilkes with the Carolina Panthers this year) and then starts to win with it.

Not sure what kind of coach he is or isn't, but Beard recruited a team of all-stars there and Terry has it doing what it was expected to do. I would always be a little leery of elevating a guy who in a situation like that, but who knows. It's more impressive when an interim coach takes a team that sucked (like Steve Wilkes with the Carolina Panthers this year) and then starts to win with it.

Agree. He is a two time retread with only very average results. Now I agree with Trap if he goes on a run in NCAA he could easily get the job and if so good for him. Texas does not have a lot of history of success in NCAA especially recently. They'll have some pressure. Ways to go & matchups and all that, but to me they r a high seed ripe for relatively early exit.

I liked Merritt. Felt like he always got the clutch layup when we needed a basket.

Speaking of former coaches, does anyone know if we pursued Larranaga, I have been told he was on our short list twice but unable to confirm.

Yeah - guy takes you to the Elite 8, hard not to give him full time gig. And I know people say - he had all of Beard's players, but I gotta imagine Terry helped get some of those guys as well right? And not to mention - Terry has HC experience, so not like your giving the keys to someone who has no clue. I would say give him a short deal - 4 years, and see what he can do. UNLESS - in the background, Texas has a big name just waiting to take over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT