ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney to be UR coach next 15 to 20 years

Mooney doesn't need a large portion of fans supporting him, he needs the right person/people supporting him and he obviously has that. So why don't you stop with the BS and call it what it is. As far as announcers go, they read the press put before them and not very well as they are the same ones who says Roche's nickname is Goose. Okay.
No, no, no. Nelson’s nickname is goose, Grace transferred from The Citadel…

My comments are based on conversations I have had with a number of people, which include the 2 past co-board chairs (Paul Queally and Susan Quisenberry). Who are you speaking with MrTbone?
I don’t speak with anyone on the BoT, I wasn’t suggesting as much.

But you’re telling me that Susan Quisenberry is reading this board?

FTR, when you say “senior leadership”, my interpretation of that is you mean Hallock, Hale, and all of the cabinet board members, plus folks a level lower than that. I do know some of those folks and I can assure you, they neither read this board nor have an opinion if it.

It is fair for you to say why you don't like him, but stop with the BS. It hurts your credibility. Mooney has a large percent of fans that support him.

He also gets huge complements from opponent's announcers. For example the GW announcers went over board on Mooney during the last game.
You do realize those announcers are handed pregame notes from…UR athletics communications. Of course they get compliments (sp) from the announcers, they are regurgitating talking points.

If we relied on the announcers to be accurate, we would all be focused on how good of a transfer Matt grace has been this season and that bigs is our best outside shooting threat.

Reactions: Eight Legger
This may be the most delusional sentence ever posted on this board. I can't name a single fan other than 3 posters on this board that actually "support" the staus quo. I'm sure there are a few more, but it's certainly not a large percentage of fans.
So while I agree it’s delusional, the reality is that this is unknowable. Maybe there is a large contingent of supporters somewhere. I’d say that the evidence being presented is spotty.

What I do know is A) this forum is overwhelmingly anti-CM and B) I personally don’t know a single fan who is a CM supporter. At least those are objective measures. Doesn’t mean they’re statistically representative though.

So while I agree it’s delusional, the reality is that this is unknowable. Maybe there is a large contingent of supporters somewhere. I’d say that the evidence being presented is spotty.

What I do know is A) this forum is overwhelmingly anti-CM and B) I personally don’t know a single fan who is a CM supporter. At least those are objective measures. Doesn’t mean they’re statistically representative though.
Re: your point B)

You must be traveling in the wrong circle of friends and acquaintances.

I don’t speak with anyone on the BoT, I wasn’t suggesting as much.

But you’re telling me that Susan Quisenberry is reading this board?

FTR, when you say “senior leadership”, my interpretation of that is you mean Hallock, Hale, and all of the cabinet board members, plus folks a level lower than that. I do know some of those folks and I can assure you, they neither read this board nor have an opinion if it.

is Susan Quisenberry the BOT member who went a little hysterical when her email address was posted here? Even though I think the Board has to publish those. IIRC something along those lines, and possibly a different BOT member, maybe Weinstein. Quisenberry likely not on BOT back then, but I do believe u can serve and then return. Think back during the Cooper football fiasco.

Agree. But is the lack of success of the "Petition Guy" & the 24 hr billboard evidence of that at all? idk but I have to concede it's possible.

I don’t recall how many signatures the petition got. It was never going to be enough even though I’m in favor of that maneuver. Once the bid was secured, any change was doomed.

Fwiw, maybe cut “petition guy” a break, at least he made an effort.

U misunderstand I don’t fault “Petition Guy” or any efforts. It’s a good thing when ppl care, when apathy sets in that’s when u really worry.

I simply asked does the lack of success of those 2 maneuvers mean there is a larger pro-Mooney contingent within the general fanbase? To those on this board the answer seems to be universally no besides the known exceptions. Idk but I can’t say it didn’t cross my mind that the answer could be yes. I have to concede that much. That’s 1 issue w board nobody concedes much, me included.

Reactions: urfan1
The petition had like 340 signatures as I recall. No way to know if it would have "worked" or not because winning the A10 meant there was no way Hardt would make a move.

…..when apathy sets in that’s when u really worry.
This is the key point that answers your question. The problem is there are not enough passionate fans who want a change in direction and there is not a large band of fans for the current coach/program either. The majority are in the middle and that is exactly who the marketing team is pitching too and getting to come to games. As everyone has mentioned in various threads, UR basketball is the most affordable night out for a family that there is. I think the comparison to the Flying Squirrels is probably the best one although I have to admit I have never been to a Squirrels game. However, my impression is that it is focused on entertainment that marginally includes baseball. Don’t get me wrong, I would rather be in a full RC than an empty one and as we all know UR reduced the capacity of the RC to help do exactly that.

As an aside, what was the deal with the student section last night? The section was full, but had maybe 40% students in it. Typically the only time that tickets in that section are sold is when class is not in session. Having an empty student section is definitely a bad sign for the future as well as the present.

U misunderstand I don’t fault “Petition Guy” or any efforts. It’s a good thing when ppl care, when apathy sets in that’s when u really worry.

I simply asked does the lack of success of those 2 maneuvers mean there is a larger pro-Mooney contingent within the general fanbase? To those on this board the answer seems to be universally no besides the known exceptions. Idk but I can’t say it didn’t cross my mind that the answer could be yes. I have to concede that much. That’s 1 issue w board nobody concedes much, me included.
It’s a fair point. Again, it’s unknowable. The pro-CM response organized by a faculty member I believe was even less voluminous but can’t recall for certain.

I’m also willing to concede it might be a larger group than I realize but I think I’d personally know at least one person who approves but I don’t, and I’m not an antisocial hermit.

Reactions: spider23
It’s a fair point. Again, it’s unknowable. The pro-CM response organized by a faculty member I believe was even less voluminous but can’t recall for certain.

I’m also willing to concede it might be a larger group than I realize but I think I’d personally know at least one person who approves but I don’t, and I’m not an antisocial hermit.
You are correct - “unknowable”. In the end, none of this matters (pro vs con) because the decisions will be made by either 1 individual or a couple or a small group regardless of performance long term. I really don’t believe that those with power care or would be influenced on one side of the fence or the other. My guess is that their power is absolute, and nothing else matters. Their judgement wins even if performance lt is mediocre.

I know about 6 guys who are adamant about Mooney staying as coach. They all graduated from VCU. Other than that the only support I see for him is on this board and that's just a few.

In addition to a very large number of fans, lets not forget about a vast majority of previous players that highly respect Mooney's abilities. They are the ones with the most expertise and credibility.

In addition to a very large number of fans, lets not forget about a vast majority of previous players that highly respect Mooney's abilities. They are the ones with the most expertise and credibility.
I say this with all due respect, but you need neither expertise nor credibility to evaluate objective data like ncaa tournament appearances.

I think the ongoing argument here is that you and a subset of folks think that this is the best we can do, whereas another group feels we can do better.

So be it.

It’s why it’s probably better just to argue on Mooney’s metrics which r not as subjective as the size of the anti or pro Moon crowds.

The petition had like 340 signatures as I recall. No way to know if it would have "worked" or not because winning the A10 meant there was no way Hardt would make a move.

Is 340 a lot? Think it was out a few weeks. I was expecting more to be honest. I certainly understand why it got killed at the time but if “Petition Guy” brought it back up how many more signatures would it get now?

Is 340 a lot? Think it was out a few weeks. I was expecting more to be honest. I certainly understand why it got killed at the time but if “Petition Guy” brought it back up how many more signatures would it get now?
Interesting notion. But moot since we don’t buy out contracts.

This may be the most delusional sentence ever posted on this board. I can't name a single fan other than 3 posters on this board that actually "support" the staus quo. I'm sure there are a few more, but it's certainly not a large percentage of fans.
And they are “fans” that likely aren’t true sports enthusiasts and who don’t care much about whether the team wins or loses. Ho-hum fans. No true blood, legitimate spider fan could support Chris Mooney as Head Basketball coach.

Reactions: wr70beh

First time for everything. But that’s not the point anyway. Never had anything to do w contract buyouts. My response was simply regarding the evidence of the Pro Mooney contingent/size. Go back & look at my first response to u. Practically everyone here is saying it does not exist. Right? I can’t imagine it’s large myself but I concede that 340 sigs & a billboard lasting 24 hrs is not exactly evidence of a large anti Mooney crowd either. Idk maybe some would argue it is. U can say well what about the message board. Same crowd more or less. And if there is not a large anti Mooney crowd logically u could say the pro Mooney crowd must be bigger than thought. Unless virtually everyone is in the middle.

Also if moot now it was moot this time last year too. Why was there even a petition? Mooney still had a contract to buyout then.

Also if moot now it was moot this time last year too. Why was there even a petition? Mooney still had a contract to buyout then.
Yes but I think fewer ticks on the clock before it expired. I think some legit danger of him not being kept after last years underperformance with a 5/6 year loaded team.

First time for everything. But that’s not the point anyway. Never had anything to do w contract buyouts. My response was simply regarding the evidence of the Pro Mooney contingent/size. Go back & look at my first response to u. Practically everyone here is saying it does not exist. Right? I can’t imagine it’s large myself but I concede that 340 sigs & a billboard lasting 24 hrs is not exactly evidence of a large anti Mooney crowd either. Idk maybe some would argue it is. U can say well what about the message board. Same crowd more or less. And if there is not a large anti Mooney crowd logically u could say the pro Mooney crowd must be bigger than thought. Unless virtually everyone is in the middle.
Sure, I’ve said unknowable and conceded pro CM could be out there. What’re you looking for me to say?

I'm certainly no fan of how Hardt has operated in this situation, and as someone posted elsewhere, think he deserves way more heat than he's getting. As you GK pointed out multiple times, he did not have to fire up the extension after the ncaa win, for a coach who finished 8th in conference with an admittedly loaded team before 5 days of Gilly magic showed the level the team was capable of playing (but had rarely done) last year.

Yes but I think fewer ticks on the clock before it expired. I think some legit danger of him not being kept after last years underperformance with a 5/6 year loaded team.
Agree. But that’s different than what u said above though & not moot at all. think there was a pretty decent chance of buyout last year had we lost to Rhody or Vcu. But “unknowable” as u say.

Looking at Instagram, when the men’s basketball team has a post, looks like the high on “likes” is 665 (for the post about former spider players coming back recently), while it seems like they mostly get 200-300 for regular posts.

I’d say 340 to sign a negative review online is in line with the positive reaction the program gets online.

The president of the University, senior management of the University, trustee and major donors attended a lot of our games. I am not aware of any that read this basketball board. I have asked a few and their reply in no way, it way too negative.

Their impressions of the basketball program are very positive. Sellout crowds are an indication of fan support and we are tops in the nation for our sized school. We also just finished 3 years in a row of great basketball, which resulted in an extension of the coaches contract. There is no possibility Mooney is going anywhere for a number of years.
Do you really expect senior management, the President to casually diss an employee of the university in public? Of course, they are going to say nice things about the program they oversee in public, my lord.

Everyone enjoys the sellouts, I'm sure they are also able to pick up a paper and see we are a .500 ballclub and wondering what happens next year to a .500 ballclub losing its best player.

But you are right, Mooney isn't going anywhere this year, but when he finally is given his walking papers, you will know when the rest of us do.

Agree. But that’s different than what u said above though & not moot at all. think there was a pretty decent chance of buyout last year had we lost to Rhody or Vcu. But “unknowable” as u say.
Yes, I meant moot after UR had won the conference tournament. Before that, about as close a chance since the back to back 20 loss seasons. I think we’re pretty much saying the same thing.

It is fair for you to say why you don't like him, but stop with the BS. It hurts your credibility. Mooney has a large percent of fans that support him.

He also gets huge complements from opponent's announcers. For example the GW announcers went over board on Mooney during the last game.
Im sure he is liked by his peers. He's easy to beat, of course nobody will say anything bad about him.

Im sure he is liked by his peers. He's easy to beat, of course nobody will say anything bad about him.
Also name one opponent announcers who dogs another team's coach. It doesn't happen. Just as a TV announcers say good things about Mooney. Hello, they do that to every single coach and every single game they broadcast. The coach could be getting the axe the next day and announcers would wax poetic about what a great job they are doing.

Also name one opponent announcers who dogs another team's coach. It doesn't happen. Just as a TV announcers say good things about Mooney. Hello, they do that to every single coach and every single game they broadcast. The coach could be getting the axe the next day and announcers would wax poetic about what a great job they are doing.
Every time we on ESPN Mike Corey says "Chris Mooney, who has the most wins in Richmond history" I bang my head. That doesn't tell the story of how bad of a coach he is.

Right, every coach has some positives, and the announcers always focus only on those. No one ever says "Wow, it's crazy to miss the NCAA tournament 10 years in a row and keep your job, isn't it?" They just say "He's been the coach for 18 years and has made 3 NCAA tournaments!" as if it's the greatest accomplishment in coaching history.

Right, every coach has some positives, and the announcers always focus only on those. No one ever says "Wow, it's crazy to miss the NCAA tournament 10 years in a row and keep your job, isn't it?" They just say "He's been the coach for 18 years and has made 3 NCAA tournaments!" as if it's the greatest accomplishment in coaching history.
couldn't agree more here

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT