ADVERTISEMENT

Tracy Woodson Out as UR Baseball Coach - Mik Aoki Hired

MDspider8

Starter
Apr 11, 2018
WOW - the school announces they are not renewing Tracy Woodson’s contract and will begin a national search for a new head coach.

As I think many of us agreed, this program needed a major shakeup and hopefully we can get back on track to being nationally relevant. Really interested to see who we end up bringing in, and if there's any chance of retaining Jordan Jaffe coming off a breakout freshman season.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Took long enough.

Precedence has clearly been set. Come to UR as a coach, sign a multi year contract, and don’t worry about being terminated until the contract has expired.

Bloody hell. BUT…there has to be some sort of results delivered, or you’re not getting a renewal (ex. Schaffer, Woodson). The plug was pulled on both of them at a minimum 3 years too late.

Now let's get someone who can recruit and has a keen eye for pitchers. Lastly let's get some lights and draw in some bigger teams and be more attractive to recruiting

Reactions: Eight Legger
Took long enough.

Precedence has clearly been set. Come to UR as a coach, sign a multi year contract, and don’t worry about being terminated until the contract has expired.

Bloody hell. BUT…there has to be some sort of results delivered, or you’re not getting a renewal (ex. Schaffer, Woodson). The plug was pulled on both of them at a minimum 3 years too late.

U r correct. But obv those 2 got extended multiple times too, even if it was just 1 or 2 years at a time. But we'd never know but because UR hides it. Even with Huesman, our 2nd highest profile sport, we don't even know the length of his most recent extension. not right imo.

“Contract terms are none of your damn business. While I’ve got you on the line, Interested in making a donation?” 🤡

The only way to get rid of a coach at UR!
We made it to the A-10 championship game last year. You don't fire a coach after that. But he also didn't get an extension, which was smart.

Thanks for your service. Now let's get this right. Maybe things are starting to change under Hallock.

If willing to consider a HS coach, how about Tyler Kane from Hanover, won the last 2 state championships.

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
Was not Atkins from a strong AAU program? The metro area has some good talent historically and
we need to make sure with the next coach we develop those relationships.

Took long enough.

Policy is not applicable to basketball program obviously.

Maybe they should have a chat with the Lynchburg coach
Not a terrible idea. Much of the recruiting he does there would be similar to here, except he gets some scholarships too. We have not had a recruiter of Dave Clawson's capability since he left, that's the type of coach we need to be looking for, regardless of sport.

No coach with any serious aspirations is coming to UR knowing he will be expected to win with only half the assets of the people he's supposed to beat.

Anyone of quality who is who seriously interested has to be promised 1, a full complement of scholarships (11.7), and 2, some serious facility improvements, starting with lights and a new grandstand. An NIL fund of $50-100K from boosters would be nice too.

Now is the time for a real commitment to this program. Baseball is a perfect match for our student demographic.

JOC article with comments from Hardt on the coaching search - a couple of interesting tidbits in here from my view:
  • Hardt says the "interest level is very high," noting they've heard from "many quality sitting head coaches who inquired about the opportunity."
  • Hardt says there is a sense of urgency in the hiring process and they'd like to complete as soon as possible.
  • The school is lookng at additional uprgrades to Pitt Field, including the grandstands, press box, and the installation of lights.
  • Hardt says that "we are typically in the neighborhood of the full level of scholarship support that the NCAA allows."
Would love to see the additional upgrades acted upon, as well as not just being in the neighborhood of maximum scholarship support, but actually reaching the limit.

Reactions: urfan1
Where did I see recently that they were indeed considering self-funding the remaining Pitt Field upgrades because they haven't been get the necessary funding through gifts? Was that an article or did one of baseball-connected posters here say that? Regardless, definitely needs to be done if we're committed to sponsoring baseball.

Where did I see recently that they were indeed considering self-funding the remaining Pitt Field upgrades because they haven't been get the necessary funding through gifts? Was that an article or did one of baseball-connected posters here say that? Regardless, definitely needs to be done if we're committed to sponsoring baseball.
Had a discussion with an inside source recently that the school is considering self-funding the completion of the Pitt Field renovations (grandstands, etc). Was told it helps to have a president that loves baseball specifically, and athletics in general. We'll see where that leads. No timetable mentioned.
Believe that's the above post from 72 in the other baseball thread^

Reactions: SFspidur
JOC article with comments from Hardt on the coaching search - a couple of interesting tidbits in here from my view:
  • Hardt says the "interest level is very high," noting they've heard from "many quality sitting head coaches who inquired about the opportunity."
  • Hardt says there is a sense of urgency in the hiring process and they'd like to complete as soon as possible.
  • The school is lookng at additional uprgrades to Pitt Field, including the grandstands, press box, and the installation of lights.
  • Hardt says that "we are typically in the neighborhood of the full level of scholarship support that the NCAA allows."
Would love to see the additional upgrades acted upon, as well as not just being in the neighborhood of maximum scholarship support, but actually reaching the limit.

Good. Let's walk the talk here.

Watching Wake Forest play in Omaha makes it extra maddening that we have been this damn irrelevant at baseball for so long. Yes, they are in the ACC but the Deacs have a similar profile as UR.

What does “typically in the neighborhood of the full level of scholarship support that the NCAA allows." even mean?

Is 60-75% of max ships for instance “in the neighborhood”. And then sometimes we r not even in that neighborhood. Big hat no cattle Hardt has a way with words, yet saying so little. The 1 time in a decade he has to answer that question too.

The only way to get rid of a coach at UR!
What makes you think that?
Only two sports are revenue producing sports. Why fire a coach that is doing an adequate
job, and have to pay him the rest of his contract? To make you and me happy?
I know, you want Mooney gone, and Huesman gone. If they lose and we lose alumni support
they’ll be gone.
The AD’s job is to maintain the budget he has been given.

Good. Let's walk the talk here.

Watching Wake Forest play in Omaha makes it extra maddening that we have been this damn irrelevant at baseball for so long. Yes, they are in the ACC but the Deacs have a similar profile as UR.
Hell I remember when we beat them at their place in regionals as we made our own run at Omaha that just fell short. Different era obviously, but ridiculous 2003 is the last time we danced.

JOC now has some potential candidate names...Pat Bloom of D-III Wash U in St. Louis, Scott Heather of Bucknell (lol), Ikenberry (sub .500 at both VMI and JMU), Spiders Mark Budzinski and Sean Ryan, and R-MC's Hedrick. Jones at Lynchburg fresh of his D-III national championship also mentioned, but JOC seems to suggest it unlikely.

JOC now has some potential candidate names...Pat Bloom of D-III Wash U in St. Louis, Scott Heather of Bucknell (lol), Ikenberry (sub .500 at both VMI and JMU), Spiders Mark Budzinski and Sean Ryan, and R-MC's Hedrick. Jones at Lynchburg fresh of his D-III national championship also mentioned, but JOC seems to suggest it unlikely.

If Hardt hires the Bucknell coach, he should be billboarded on 95 from Richmond to Boston.

I will say some of the other names intrigue me and will give Hardt some credit if he can pull the Wash U. Coach or Budzinski.

Maybe it crashes and burns with that, but I do not want one of these "safe" hires from a the Patriot League.

Both stories are paywalled so I can't read them, but glad to hear there is some interest.

Freaking word salad from Hardt. Either we are fully scholarshipped, or we aren't. With all our money, anything less than 11.7 is unacceptable. Unrestricted endowment money that isn't put to use doing something, instead of just sitting around drawing interest, is wasted.

Reactions: MDspider8
Both stories are paywalled so I can't read them, but glad to hear there is some interest.

Freaking word salad from Hardt. Either we are fully scholarshipped, or we aren't. With all our money, anything less than 11.7 is unacceptable. Unrestricted endowment money that isn't put to use doing something, instead of just sitting around drawing interest, is wasted.
If you have an iPhone/iPad and use the safari browser, you can bypass the paywall with the "show reader" feature. Click the aA button, then show reader, and you can read the whole article.

Budzinski would be a phenomenal hire for many reasons.

I don't know but my guess is Budzinski might be looking to come back to Richmond (lives in Glen Allen) after the tragic family accident last summer. Would probably have internal support of Sean Casey and others from around his same UR era.

Not very familiar with the collegiate coaching market but makes sense to me we'd attract strong candidates from all over incl guys like Bloom etc.

There is sort of a preponderance of evidence to support EL's statement, isn't there?
There are some ambiguities to what I said. But, I think I explained why we shouldn’t fire
non-revenue coaches. If we were Michigan okay. But we’re a small university, even though
we are a wealth one, our athletic budget is and has to be kept in check.
Paying a baseball coach to buy out his contract is a waste of money.

There is sort of a preponderance of evidence to support EL's statement, isn't there?
There are some ambiguities to what I said. But, I think I explained why we shouldn’t fire
non-revenue coaches. If we were Michigan okay. But we’re a small university, e
Hopefully Queally's kids didn't room or become friends with a baseball coach's child while at UR.
Is that supposed to be funny?

Annap, the point is that Woodson hasn't done an adequate job. He's never won a championship. He's never made an NCAA tournament or even come close. His overall record was a LOSING one: 238-245-2. How is any of that adequate? For a coach who was here for TEN YEARS? What are we even doing?

Last edited:
Annap, the point is that Woodson hasn't done an adequate job. He's never won a championship. He's never made an NCAA tournament or even come close. His overall record was a LOSING one: 238-245-2. How is any of that adequate? For a coach who was here for TEN YEARS? What are we even doing?
Actually in finals of A10 tournament last year, may have been his closest chance.

True, but I think we would have had to beat VCU twice to win it, right? It was a longshot at best, so I didn't really consider it as being that close. However you slice it, he stunk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT