ADVERTISEMENT

Tracy Woodson Out as UR Baseball Coach - Mik Aoki Hired

Technically I would say yes, because our university can pay someone anything they want. That being said, no, I do not think our head coach is at that level. What so we think we are paying though? My guess, around 200-250k?
I would be very surprised if it's over $200k, might even be under $150k. The average men's sport head coach salary at UR is around $200k, heavily skewed by Mooney and a bit by Huesman. Chemotti might be around $200k, just guessing. But the other four men's sport head coaches must then be significantly below that average.

That does only include institutional salary, so that may not count whatever extra they can earn from running summer camps and stuff.

Reactions: urfan1
I thought you baseball lovers might find this interesting.
The Univ. Of MD baseball coach, who won the last two Big Ten
Championships . His salary $450,000 per year
Alabama, bought him away- $900,000 per year.
Do any of you think Richmond can pay our baseball coach
what MD was paying theirs?
Maryland gets about $70 million per year from the Big Ten TV contract.

So off the top of my head, I'd say no.

I know we can’t. And yes MD gets 70 million from the Big Ten.
I was just pointing out an element for those that wonder why we‘re
not doing better in baseball.
We should be doing better against our A-10 contemporaries, who probably have a similar salary structure.

Looked up publicly disclosed salaries from the A-10 public schools for 2022. Take these with a grain of salt, as there can be additional compensation that doesn't show up in the public disclosures.

Stiffler (VCU): $150k
Reynolds (UMass): $87k
Cerrato (URI): $85k
Camp (GMU): $52k

Looked up publicly disclosed salaries from the A-10 public schools for 2022. Take these with a grain of salt, as there can be additional compensation that doesn't show up in the public disclosures.

Stiffler (VCU): $150k
Reynolds (UMass): $87k
Cerrato (URI): $85k
Camp (GMU): $52k
How can you possibly live in Fairfax County on $52K?

How can you possibly live in Fairfax County on $52K?
By having already made $7.4 million during your MLB career?

But yeah, like I said, take them with a grain of salt. There is likely some supplemental income not reflected in the public numbers.

Probably get paid for speaking engagements, bonuses for certain performance metrics, camps, etc.

Coach Huesman's son Levi is in the transfer portal. Came into Coastal Carolina with a lot of hype, but struggled this year to a 9.36 ERA in 33.2 IP. He's probably way too good to consider us, but we can dream!

I don't think you can be way too good for anyone with an ERA like that. Best case: He had a random bad season that lowers his stock in the eyes of bigger programs, he comes here and finds his fit and dominates for us.

Any idea why he struggled so much...injury? He was one of the top players in the whole country for his class.

Any idea why he struggled so much...injury? He was one of the top players in the whole country for his class.
Didn't see any menton of injury, and very weird considering he was drafted out of HS and named pre-season conference freshman of the year by Perfect Game.

Just looking at his game logs, he had a couple of blow-up appearances vs. very high caliber opponents: 5 ER in 2 innings vs Clemson, 5 ER in 1.1 innings vs Campbell, 5 ER in 2.1 innings vs Duke. Looks like he was a starter to begin the year and then moved between the bullpen and rotation. Besides a 5 inning, 84 pitch outing vs Davidson, he never eclipsed 65 pitches or 4 innings the rest of the year.

Did a little more digging - JSL played in the MLB Draft League Prospect Game last night, so appears he might also be considering turning pro.

Picked up a grad transfer pitcher from Notre Dame. Looks like he’s struggled a lot with injuries…missed his first two seasons entirely and he only pitched one inning in each of the last two seasons.

Reactions: MDspider8
I think we might be on draft watch for Sprague-Lott in the last few rounds today. Really curious what ends up happening with him.

FYI - the transfer portal window for baseball closes today, so will be keeping a close eye to make sure we don't have any last-minute entrants. Sprague-Lott did not get drafted, and as far as I know is not in the portal yet, so I think there's still a chance to bring him back even though he's not on the official roster.

According to the transfer doc I sent above, Jake Michel is transferring to Towson. Had a good frame and high velocity but couldn't keep runs off the board. Best of luck to him.

Here's the current list of transfers out: Mathes, Neff, Neff, Kluska, Starnes, and Michel. I think graduate transfers can still enter the portal, but we should be done for the most part now that it has closed for undergraduate students. Just have to wait to see what happens with Sprague-Lott.

Also - Levi Huesman is heading to Vandy. That's a step up in program quality despite all his struggles last year. Good for him!

Intro video with Aoki and Bob Black. Aoki confirms that he's retaining all three assistants and they're active in the transfer portal and high school recruiting trails. Expecting a handful of commitments to come soon. Admitted that UR admissions and "price tag" are challenges when trying to recruit, but Sean Casey's hire for the Yankees has been a well-timed boost. Wants to upgrade the fan experience at Pitt Field and the streaming experience for those watching games from afar.

He sounds like he knows what he's doing. Now, he needs the institutional support and commitment to winning.

My team has already reached out to him about possibly placing players with us in 2024. It seems we have a UR connection in our front office.

Picked up another grad transfer pitcher - Dylan Siesky out of Lafayette. Made 10 appearances out of the bullpen this year with a 3.12 ERA and 3 saves. He's only thrown 11.1 total innings in 4 years, 8.2 of those coming this past year.

Although KE Spider beat me to the laughing emoji that was so good urfan1 I had to second it!

Last edited:
Two more transfers have committed to the Spiders per the transfer doc above:

1) Jason Shockley, C, Rutgers. Only played in 3 games last year but played in 16 and started 5 in 2022. .250/.419/.292 over 24 career AB's. 2 years left.

2. Michael Elko, INF, Northwestern. Played in 23 games this year and started 9, slashing .190/.358/.214. 3 years left.

I like that these are both multi-year guys from power conferences. They should perform better with the drop in competition.

1) Jason Shockley, C, Rutgers. Only played in 3 games last year but played in 16 and started 5 in 2022. .250/.419/.292 over 24 career AB's. 2 years left.

2. Michael Elko, INF, Northwestern. Played in 23 games this year and started 9, slashing .190/.358/.214. 3 years left.

I like that these are both multi-year guys from power conferences. They should perform better with the drop in competition.

Elko’s father coached football at UR(and Fordham) under Clawson.He’s presently the HC of Duke pigskin.

Very intriguing avg./OBP split there from both guys, even in a small sample size. You almost never see a 170-point gap between the two, but to me it suggests the framework is there and they may have had a lot of bad luck on balls in play. That should change with more playing time and a larger sample size.

We got another grad transfer pitcher - Logan Ymker from Presbyterian. BIG reliever at 6'8, 215. Career 5.87 ERA, 1.46 WHIP, 10.4 K/9 in 35 appearances over two seasons, but his 2022 numbers were much better than this past season. Shows a fastball, change, and curveball in these highlights and delivery looks pretty fluid. Haven't had a player with this frame on the mound in a while.

Last edited:
Found another exciting one from about a week ago - Jackson Kraemer from Wake Forest. Didn't play last year in his freshman season at Wake, so will have 4 years of eligibility. Listed as an OF on Wake's website but is hitting & pitching a bit this summer for New Market in the Valley League. Rated the fifth best outfielder in Pennsylvania by Perfect Game coming out of high school.

Stoked to pick up a player from a program as high caliber as Wake. I'll expect him to contend for a starting role with our lack of OF depth. Aoki is rolling in the portal!

Last edited:
The transfers keep rolling - Ethan Sannes from Augustana University (D2). Relief Pitcher with 2 years left. Only pitched in one game last year at Augustana, but has pitched 18.2 innings this summer in the Northwoods League (same league as Hentschel, Armson, and Reinke). Looks like he was recovering from an arm injury in most of 2022/early 2023. Stats this summer are 6.75 ERA, 21 K, 1.98 WHIP.

Last edited:
The transfers keep rolling - Ethan Sannes from Augustana University (D2). Relief Pitcher with 2 years left. Only pitched in one game last year at Augustana, but has pitched 18.2 innings this summer in the Northwoods League (same league as Hentschel, Armson, and Reinke). Looks like he was recovering from an arm injury in most of 2022/early 2023. Stats this summer are 6.75 ERA, 21 K, 1.98 WHIP.

hope he gets well and is 100% by fall ball, even stronger next season. Welcome aboard!

Dagger. Jared Sprague-Lott will transfer to Arkansas. Another massive loss to the portal.

Keeping Jaffe is still a huge win for Aoki in year 1, but we've lost almost every other key contributor from last year. Definitely going to be an uphill battle for us next year.

Get paid, play in the best baseball league in the nation, in front of a ton of fans, and make the NCAA tournament... Or stay here. I mean, is that really a choice? I hate to say it, but...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT