ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney to be UR coach next 15 to 20 years

Look forward to another sollout Robin Center. The Spiders have the best fans in the industry. Watching yesterday's GW game reminded me how terrible some of our competitors stadiums/game experiences are.

It is unfortunate that some people will try to negatively comment on our strong fan base. I bet GW couldn't fill that tiny terrible arena if it was free admissions and everyone got free tocos.

Go Spiders and hope to see you there!
It's great to talk about people in seats - there as fans or for entertainment / family outings. Take your pick.

More interested in winning games and performing better. I'd rather see that than fans in seats.

No comment from you on our performance this year & last night?

They probably all rode over in one car.

BTW, it was a very exiting game to watch. Sounded like we had a lot of Spider fans at the game. It is too bad we lost.
The one thing I will cede to you regarding the size of the crowd is that it was pathetic that we went on the "road" and couldn't overcome an average team playing in front of 500 of their fans.

Look forward to another sollout Robin Center. The Spiders have the best fans in the industry. Watching yesterday's GW game reminded me how terrible some of our competitors stadiums/game experiences are.

It is unfortunate that some people will try to negatively comment on our strong fan base. I bet GW couldn't fill that tiny terrible arena if it was free admissions and everyone got free tocos.

u r right I doubt they would be able to fill it w free admissions & tacos. our combo of fanbase + arena is near top of league for sure esp considering only 2 smaller schools in the league. But plenty of room for improvement. but we can't take next step. imagine if we were good coming off NCAA. imagine if we had much better reg seasons consistently. imagine if we beat VCU a lot more often. then imagine what a legit home court advantage we could have.

The president of the University, senior management of the University, trustee and major donors attended a lot of our games. I am not aware of any that read this basketball board. I have asked a few and their reply in no way, it way too negative.

Their impressions of the basketball program are very positive. Sellout crowds are an indication of fan support and we are tops in the nation for our sized school. We also just finished 3 years in a row of great basketball, which resulted in an extension of the coaches contract. There is no possibility Mooney is going anywhere for a number of years.

• Love
Reactions: Spiders4ever
The president of the University, senior management of the University, trustee and major donors attended a lot of our games. I am not aware of any that read this basketball board. I have asked a few and their reply in no way, it way too negative.

Their impressions of the basketball program are very positive. Sellout crowds are an indication of fan support and we are tops in the nation for our sized school. We also just finished 3 years in a row of great basketball, which resulted in an extension of the coaches contract. There is no possibility Mooney is going anywhere for a number of years.

was this response written by ChatGPT 😵‍💫

I'm sorry 3 years of good bball? ill give you the 2019-20 year but thats it. 2020-21 was a terrible year. Supposed to finish 1st in the conference, end up finishing 8th and then losing to duquense in the first round. Last year was horrible until the run in march, overall that was not a good year. Now I know why Looney isn't fired yet if you thats your and other Richmond higher ups think thats successful. And yes, Looney isn't going anywhere most likely but hell imma try to spread the message and get more people on board so we can see Richmond be good again.

80s, please do me a favor. When you next see the Prez and BOT members, ask if UR would admit a student in the 55 percentile of their class?

This gets scarier and scarier if any truth to it. Not a ringing endorsement of intelligence for those in charge.

Flying down Saturday morning. Excited to catch a game!

Out of curiosity, if they don’t read this board, how did they determine it’s way too negative?

Maybe it would be good to gather some alternative opinions…

Last edited:
This gets scarier and scarier if any truth to it. Not a ringing endorsement of intelligence for those in charge.
X2

As if bodies in seats at the RC is an indicator of success or support for Mooney.

Maybe if BOT would read this site possibly they might learn a little about the game of basketball and what constitutes success vs mediocrity. There are some very sharp and astute posters on this board, and I appreciate reading what most have to say.

Being rewarded to a BOT seat doesn’t necessarily correlate to knowledge, skills, and evaluation capabilities of sports programs nor how to move these programs forward. Knowledge is power; not titles nor appointments.

Reactions: spider23
Out of curiosity, I’d they don’t read this board, how did they determine it’s way too negative?

Maybe it would be to gather some alternative opinions…
Well, there are those who seem to reflect their position. I believe it borders on alternative reality as much as opinions; maybe more so.

Reactions: Eight Legger

I hope the Williams family wins their $51 million law suit. Remember the President is not a Spider, he did not pay money to earn a degree at UR. He is a paid employee, a short term employee at that. Just the lie of ‘sell out’ crowds tell you exactly how credible the administration is.

Reactions: Spider B
To be fair, I’m sure the crowds are sell outs (I.e the ticket office has no tickets left to sell).

But there is definitely a difference between a sold out event and event attendance, and I’ll be interested to see our end of year average attendance.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
They don’t disclose that stat. Tickets sold or distributed is the metric. By that measure, the ticket office is doing a great job of pushing inventory.

But the post above is exactly why it’s a bad idea to correlate cheap family entertainment (e.g., the minor league baseball model) with a successful program.

Last edited:
Maybe we can win the award for most attendance by the 3rd smallest school in our conference award this year!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Out of curiosity, if they don’t read this board, how did they determine it’s way too negative?

Maybe it would be good to gather some alternative opinions…
Probably word of mouth. We would likely have a lot more posters on here if it weren't so negative. I'm about done myself. At some point, it officially loses what it is supposed to be...a fun place to debate and discuss Spider hoops.

Probably word of mouth. We would likely have a lot more posters on here if it weren't so negative. I'm about done myself. At some point, it officially loses what it is supposed to be...a fun place to debate and discuss Spider hoops.
I think if there’s some kind of gossip going around about this board then it has developed an irrationally outsized influence.

It ain’t Twitter.

There does seem to be a run u off herd mentality going on here. Never subscribed to that. We have disagreed wholeheartedly on Mooney b4 but I think counter points can actually help sharpen your own arguments. Some ppl would rather win imaginary poster awards.

Reactions: nathanw19
There’s healthy debate and fictitious debate. The notion that UR senior leadership somehow rejects this board due to its overt negativity (which it undeniably is) falls into the fictitious debate arena I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger
There’s healthy debate and fictitious debate. The notion that UR senior leadership somehow rejects this board due to its overt negativity (which it undeniably is) falls into the fictitious debate arena I think.
My comments are based on conversations I have had with a number of people, which include the 2 past co-board chairs (Paul Queally and Susan Quisenberry). Who are you speaking with MrTbone?

Last edited:
We all know Queally is boys with Mooney and is willing to accept mediocrity in return for access to the program. I have a suspicion Susan Quisenberry probably isn't too invested in the men's basketball program either way.

We all know Queally is boys with Mooney and is willing to accept mediocrity in return for access to the program. I have a suspicion Susan Quisenberry probably isn't too invested in the men's basketball program either way.
I used these 2 as examples only because they are no longer on the board.

Eight Legger, your suspicion on Susan is based on what? Susan and her husband Bob are big basketball fans and attend all most every game.

At this stage, who cares what the BOT thinks about this forum. They’ve proven what winning means or rather, doesn’t. The negativity on the forum reflects the reality of Mooney’s tenure of mediocrity. If the BOT along with 3 posters want to swallow alternative reality other than 55 pct, then let them all high five each other and bask in major long term “success”.

At this stage, who cares what the BOT thinks about this forum. They’ve proven what winning means or rather, doesn’t. The negativity on the forum reflects the reality of Mooney’s tenure of mediocrity. If the BOT along with 3 posters want to swallow alternative reality other than 55 pct, then let them all high five each other and bask in major long term “success”.
It is fair for you to say why you don't like him, but stop with the BS. It hurts your credibility. Mooney has a large percent of fans that support him.

He also gets huge complements from opponent's announcers. For example the GW announcers went over board on Mooney during the last game.

• Haha
I used these 2 as examples only because they are no longer on the board.

Eight Legger, your suspicion on Susan is based on what? Susan and her husband Bob are big basketball fans and attend all most every game.
I would like to point out that I know and have known a number of people who attend college basketball games who know next to nothing about the game.

My aunt & uncle took me to games when I was a teenager. Her yelling and screaming at the referees was hilarious because she had NO IDEA what she was talking about. Her husband brought binoculars and watched the crowd the entire game. I know a VCU couple who haven't missed a home game with their friends in years. They don't know a charge/block or a goaltend from a travel. They go simply for the social experience. Even travel with the team.

The type of attendees described above are fans, but they are very different from former players and hardcore aficionados who know the game well. Most of the fans on this forum are knowledgeable and passionate about basketball. They are not binocular fans, and that is why they care so deeply about the state of the program.

Doesn't matter what their social status or political influence is, those who feel that Mooney is a great coach, and that all is well with the program, fall into the not so knowledgeable category. Still a fan, BUT, a big difference.

It is fair for you to say why you don't like him, but stop with the BS. It hurts your credibility. Mooney has a large percent of fans that support him.

He also gets huge complements from opponent's announcers. For example the GW announcers went over board on Mooney during the last game.
Mooney doesn't need a large portion of fans supporting him, he needs the right person/people supporting him and he obviously has that. So why don't you stop with the BS and call it what it is. As far as announcers go, they read the press put before them and not very well as they are the same ones who says Roche's nickname is Goose. Okay.

I think we should leave it as we agree to disagree on the fan support of Mooney. I’m personally yet to talk to someone who thinks Mooney deserves no criticism, but granted I admittedly haven’t spoken to Queally.

As to the announcers, all announcers talk up coaches, especially non-national announcers. They don’t want to make waves and potentially create an enemy in the basketball industry. That doesn’t mean the GW announcers didn’t sincerely mean it, but I don’t think them saying it on a broadcast also means they sincerely mean it.

This guy is too funny.
1 - Every announcer pumps every coach
2 - Every grad I know is at best Luke warm on moon to negative.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT