ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney to be UR coach next 15 to 20 years

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
Over the last 13 years we have had 4 NCAA quality teams (including 2019-2020) and 3 NITs. Over the last 3 years we have had 2 NCAA quality teams and an NIT. Mooney was able to have built a 1st class training facility. Our recruiting has significantly improved since the Grant/Sherod class and we recently had a terrific off season reload. After 6 games with a freshman point guard, many new players on the team, and missing one of our starters, our average computer ranking is 93rd, which I expect will get better as the season goes on. https://masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm Mooney has been able to achieve this success while running a clean program and recruiting within the school’s academic standards for athletes. I believe he has the support of the board and administration, along with a majority of alumni. Unless he is hired away for substantially more money, I expect him to be at U of R until he retires.

giphy.gif

Over the last 13 years we have had 4 NCAA quality teams (including 2019-2020) and 3 NITs. Over the last 3 years we have had 2 NCAA quality teams and an NIT. Mooney was able to have built a 1st class training facility. Our recruiting has significantly improved since the Grant/Sherod class and we recently had a terrific off season reload. After 6 games with a freshman point guard, many new players on the team, and missing one of our starters, our average computer ranking is 93rd, which I expect will get better as the season goes on. https://masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm Mooney has been able to achieve this success while running a clean program and recruiting within the school’s academic standards for athletes. I believe he has the support of the board and administration, along with a majority of alumni. Unless he is hired away for substantially more money, I expect him to be at U of R until he retires.
I really admire that you love Richmond and your optimistic spin is sometimes welcome, but this post is only to agitate others. You’ve demonstrated that you aren’t willing to engage in meaningful debate but instead make post like this one that revert to the same arguments. VT4700 at least is willing to debate posts and explain his point of view. Don’t be a troll, it’s the worst trait on a message board like this one. If you want, go try to refute what I just described on the other thread before you unnecessarily made this one.
PS the fact you need to use the Covid-shortened season to make your argument explains everything you need to know about how truly weak your points are. At least last year you’d try to suggest you had inside view of the thinking of the board and decision-makers and they clearly didn’t value wins as much as all of us.

Reactions: spider23
Lol, ridiculous thread. Only 15 to 20 more years? Why not 45 or 50? BTW, how many coaches in D1 college basketball history spent 35 straight years at their schools? It’s a pretty tiny list.

I really admire that you love Richmond and your optimistic spin is sometimes welcome, but this post is only to agitate others. You’ve demonstrated that you aren’t willing to engage in meaningful debate but instead make post like this one that revert to the same arguments. VT4700 at least is willing to debate posts and explain his point of view. Don’t be a troll, it’s the worst trait on a message board like this one. If you want, go try to refute what I just described on the other thread before you unnecessarily made this one.
PS the fact you need to use the Covid-shortened season to make your argument explains everything you need to know about how truly weak your points are. At least last year you’d try to suggest you had inside view of the thinking of the board and decision-makers and they clearly didn’t value wins as much as all of us.
I don't see anything wrong with what he said or how he said it. He made his points. He didn't attack anyone or call anyone out. Your post sums up what is wrong with this board. You chose to respond and say he is only trying to agitate others when it is your post that criticizes him and name calls him. So, instead of disagreeing with him and saying why in a classy way, you do this. So, if things go like they usually do when this happens to me, he will reply to this post and defend himself, and then get attacked by others for doing so, while this post of yours gets conveniently ignored.

And, you say it is weak to bring up the covid year?? I think it is by far weaker and more telling to try to pretend our incredible 24-7 did not happen than to praise it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnnapSpider
Lol, ridiculous thread. Only 15 to 20 more years? Why not 45 or 50? BTW, how many coaches in D1 college basketball history spent 35 straight years at their schools? It’s a pretty tiny list.
You ask why not 45 or 50 more years? Probably because our coach is 50, so 15 to 20 more years seems about right if he retires here. Not sure what your issue is here. Why not say why you disagree if you do, instead of posting this confusing stuff? And, why is this a ridiculous thread? Because it is positive?

You ask why not 45 or 50 more years? Probably because our coach is 50, so 15 to 20 more years seems about right if he retires here. Not sure what your issue is here. Why not say why you disagree if you do, instead of posting this confusing stuff? And, why is this a ridiculous thread? Because it is positive?
It's a ridiculous thread because no one coaches at the same school for 35 years except Jim Boeheim, Coach K, Jim Phelan, Tom Izzo, Bob McKillop. Legends. The odds of ANY coach coaching ANYWHERE for that long consecutively are infinitesimally small. The ones who have done it have won at a much higher clip than Mooney has so far.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
It's a ridiculous thread because no one coaches at the same school for 35 years except Jim Boeheim, Coach K, Jim Phelan, Tom Izzo, Bob McKillop. Legends. The odds of ANY coach coaching ANYWHERE for that long consecutively are infinitesimally small. The ones who have done it have won at a much higher clip than Mooney has so far.
Dave Bike? Ron Cotrell?

Definitely lower Salary but…

Coaches starting this season with 500 or more wins, whether coaching this season or not…
Whether at one school or not…

Do we know the end date for the current contract? I assume that by March 2031 there would be at least 500 wins as a D1 coach?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I wish we could just avoid ridiculous threads like this one and the “Someone had to say it” beat a dead horse with no interesting/new points thread. Mooney has a longer leash for a few more years, let’s avoid a big ridiculous contract even if we make the tourney this year, and keep it rolling. Where is the silent majority!??

I wish we could just avoid ridiculous threads like this one and the “Someone had to say it” beat a dead horse with no interesting/new points thread. Mooney has a longer leash for a few more years, let’s avoid a big ridiculous contract even if we make the tourney this year, and keep it rolling. Where is the silent majority!??
This is better than my post.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Yes, I am including the shorten year where we won 9 of our last 10 games and the 24 regular season wins was the most in the history of our program. I forgot to mention that our average computer ranking over the last 3 years was the highest in the history of the program over a 3 year period. Bottom line, there is a much higher probability of Mooney retiring as U of R coach than getting fired any time soon, which is about as close to zero percent as you can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT4700
what about the 3 years before that?

Or the 3 years before that?

You’d win a gold metal in mental gymnastics fitting these puzzle pieces into your narrative.
Who, other than the typical negative posters on here, would think it is more important to look at a program 4+ years ago instead of the last 3 years when determining where the program is RIGHT NOW?

Nowhere close to accurate.

Reactions: UR80sfan
Nowhere close to accurate.
I'm not even someone who is calling for Mooney's job right now, but are you suggesting that there are "many" Division 1 coaches who have stayed at one school for 35+ years with 55% winning percentages? I'd love to see your evidence if so.

Reactions: Zeeter and plydogg
Do we know the end date for the current contract? I assume that by March 2031 there would be at least 500 wins as a D1 coach?
But what will the winning percentage be? To me that’s a far more measure of performance.

If Chris Mooney went 150-0 in his next 150 games his career winning percentage would still be lower than Shaka Smart’s.

Take from that what you will

Last edited:
I'm not even someone who is calling for Mooney's job right now, but are you suggesting that there are "many" Division 1 coaches who have stayed at one school for 35+ years with 55% winning percentages? I'd love to see your evidence if so.
Mooney took over the program that was imploded by the previous coach. If you drop Mooney's 1st 2 years at Richmond his record is better, obviously his recent record is outstanding. Going forward most believe Mooney's winning percentage will be high.

Last edited:
Reactions: UR Fan 2
Mooney took over the program that was imploded by the previous coach. If you drop Mooney's 1st 2 years at Richmond his record is better, obviously his recent record is outstanding. Going forward most believe Mooney's winning percentage will be high.
It's even better if you get rid of all his bad seasons and only keep the really good ones, but that's not how this works.

Much to be thankful for…an A 10 Championship in basketball, trip to NCAA, first round win against Big10 Champion, football rolls out to 8-3 season with trip to post season playoffs. Baseball and men’s lacrosse in post season last year. Could throw in some non-revenue sports too.

Fans, short for fanatics. We are those people here on this board. Argue ardently, emotionally and endlessly among ourselves, dis coaches, sometimes even dis players, unfortunately, but we remain the core constituency of Spider athletics.

Sometimes think we are too hard on one another and too hard on our school. Focus too much on what is wrong rather than what is right. Plead guilty too. Sometimes too self- righteous.

Let’s keep the good times rolling. Start with 1-0 tomorrow v Davidson and 1-0 Wednesday v Toledo. Roll Spiders!

Who, other than the typical negative posters on here, would think it is more important to look at a program 4+ years ago instead of the last 3 years when determining where the program is RIGHT NOW?
History tends to repeat itself. We have 17 years of facts to use. To ignore parts of the CM era means you are ignoring the reality of the situation. 3 for 17. We can do better.

History tends to repeat itself. We have 17 years of facts to use. To ignore parts of the CM era means you are ignoring the reality of the situation. 3 for 17. We can do better.
Absolutely.

Unfortunately there are those that will slice & dice numbers & situations (examples - exclude first two years at UR or place emphasis upon most recent 3 years) to justify their being enamored for a coach that has a a slightly better than .500 winning pct record and went 10 or 11 years in between NCAA appearances. Those facts should matter but seem to take a back seat.

Maybe someone can post how many other coaches in that fraternity retained their jobs with such a gap in NCAA appearances.

You said, "Going forward most believe Mooney's winning percentage will be high."

Question - Who is most, and where did you come up with this? Was there a survey I missed, or are you hearing noises in the hallways of the RC at halftime?

While I think this is kind of a ridiculous thread, I’ll bite. How many ncaa appearances should we expect over these next 20 years?

If I get 5-10 I’m cool with that. He’s gotta get at least one every four years. And if we miss, no more get ‘em next year free passes.

This is why I rarely bother debating with you and your sometimes sarcastic, sometimes wrong, but always confusing posts. Why are you acting like this is what you said earlier?

So, I am supposed to name "many" when you said "It's a ridiculous thread because no one coaches at the same school for 35 years except Jim Boeheim, Coach K, Jim Phelan, Tom Izzo, Bob McKillop." That is not accurate. What about Greg Kampe? And, Izzo and McKillop do not have 35 years. So, you are wrong both ways here.

And, you said this: "The odds of ANY coach coaching ANYWHERE for that long consecutively are infinitesimally small." Wrong again. urmite gave you a list of the numerous coaches who coached at least 35 years.

And, finally, this: "
The ones who have done it have won at a much higher clip than Mooney has so far." Nope. See urmite's list again. Dave Bike coached 35 years with less than a 55% winning percentage. And, others are in the 50s and far from a "much higher clip than Mooney". So, wrong again and 0 for 3, EL. LOL.

And, if we go this year and next, the board will scream "5 for 19, we can do better", and then jump all over me when I say the last 5 years have been great and would be the appropriate years to focus on.

While I think this is kind of a ridiculous thread, I’ll bite. How many ncaa appearances should we expect over these next 20 years?

If I get 5-10 I’m cool with that. He’s gotta get at least one every four years. And if we miss, no more get ‘em next year free passes.
Well said, and seems the much more relevant thing to talk about. And, the thread isn't bad, it's the replies.

Last edited:
So… if we do separate his tenure into eras…I believe we get:
first 2 .350
next 12 .565
last 3 .681

It would be nice if that was progress and… we can stay above .650 for a while.
22-11 on Selection Sunday would match that.

But we shall see…

Reactions: Vcewe and plydogg
This is why I rarely bother debating with you and your sometimes sarcastic, sometimes wrong, but always confusing posts. Why are you acting like this is what you said earlier?

So, I am supposed to name "many" when you said "It's a ridiculous thread because no one coaches at the same school for 35 years except Jim Boeheim, Coach K, Jim Phelan, Tom Izzo, Bob McKillop." That is not accurate. What about Greg Kampe? And, Izzo and McKillop do not have 35 years. So, you are wrong both ways here.

And, you said this: "The odds of ANY coach coaching ANYWHERE for that long consecutively are infinitesimally small." Wrong again. urmite gave you a list of the numerous coaches who coached at least 35 years.

And, finally, this: "
The ones who have done it have won at a much higher clip than Mooney has so far." Nope. See urmite's list again. Dave Bike coached 35 years with less than a 55% winning percentage. And, others are in the 50s and far from a "much higher clip than Mooney". So, wrong again and 0 for 3, EL. LOL.
Right, because clearly I was naming EVERY coach who had ever coached someplace for 35 years or more... Sorry, I forgot you would interpret everything exactly literally. My point was that the coaches who last 35 years at one school in division 1 are legends. Average coaches don't stay for 35 years.

Mite found two examples in the history of college basketball beyond the type of guy I mentioned. There probably are a handful of others too, out of probably 10,000 or more coaches. So yes, the odds are infinitesimally small, as I said. I didn't say NO ONE could do it, I say it was incredibly rare. And it is.

By the way, on the list Mite cited, there were exactly two coaches out of those 125 who spent 35+ consecutive years at their schools and had less than a 56% winning percentage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Island Spiders
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT