ADVERTISEMENT

OOC Tracker - Lunardi Impact

The hell of it is that I would probably have been ok with this schedule. It fits a team that should be better but without overwhelming it. For Mooney to go out and just brazenly declare an as-yet unmade schedule as the hardest one in the league earlier this year was just stupid. He set the expectation and now has failed to live up to it. Which I guess is pretty much his M.O.
That’s not really his MO. He typically doesn’t set expectations, or if he does, we don’t know about them.

Reactions: Gospiders06
I hope you are right regarding the schedule. Of course all the worrying about the schedule is meaningless if we lose to Coppin State much less Wisconsin. It's my understanding that the Badgers, Tide, BC, may be "winnable" games since they are somewhat rebuilding/reloading this season. I'm sure one of my fellow posters will post depth charts with returning starters etc on all our OOC opponents to enlighten my admittedly limited intel on our OOC opponents.

The Vandy game started as an away, then Vandy asked to swap starting location. Hardt was correct when announced.

Yes that was always the most logical explanation. My battle of Johns comment was just a joke.

However big hat no cattle hardt did not correct himself on radio other day, he’s walked back a number of statements, and most importantly the athletic department has sent out many errors and typos as we all know.

So if he had just flat out made a mistake it would not have been a surprise either.

Doesn’t Vandy also start H&H with Davidson this year? Starting in Nashville? Any idea if any of these announcements were related?

Don't worry need a few extra days off. I am sure we will schedule a Duke next year to overcome the best schedule yet.

I just saw something that doesn't seem right. But would be interesting...
Instead of adding 1 game they added 3?

@Temple
@UConn
Neutral Florida

Anyone else seeing or hearing rumors of anything remotely like that?

Where did you see that?

They only have 10 OOC games locked in, so 3 more is possible.

If those three are true, that is a fantastic schedule. Would love to get one of the marquee games at the RC, but that is a minor quibble.

Where did you see that?

They only have 10 OOC games locked in, so 3 more is possible.

If those three are true, that is a fantastic schedule. Would love to get one of the marquee games at the RC, but that is a minor quibble.
At one of the analytic sites. It is very preliminary, and I hope they don't have us mixed up with St Joe.
http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Richmond&year=2020
I know the dates are off. Plus they are missing some confirmed games (SFU, ODU, Bama).
But was shocked (and skeptical) when those 3 new one appeared.

It is definitely a work in progress. The projected Quad section shows us playing @ Florida twice, @ VCU twice, VCU Home twice...o_O

Last edited:
At one of the analytic sites. It is very preliminary, and I hope they don't have us mixed up with St Joe.
http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Richmond&year=2020
I know the dates are off. Plus they are missing some confirmed games (SFU, ODU, Bama).
But was shocked (and skeptical) when those 3 new one appeared.

It is definitely a work in progress. The projected Quad section shows us playing @ Florida twice, @ VCU twice, VCU Home twice...o_O

It's a great site but projections are difficult when schedules are still fluid and you do get some bad info until schedules are released formally.

Temple has released their schedule and they have full 13 OOC games and we're not it. So that one definitely wrong.

Florida has released theirs as well but the Orange Bowl Classic is tbd. I went to that game 10 years ago when we played and won. Gonzo with clutch shot. It's at Florida Panthers arena in Sunrise, near Ft. Lauderdale. Nice for FLA that falls under neutral game every year when it's closer to a home game. Florida State plays in it too, and not have announced opponent either. We've played Florida a number of times under Mooney so could be something there with this one.

UConn - hasn't released scheduled

Obviously both of those would change complexion and strength of OOC schedule a lot. I doubt either is accurate but who knows, good rumor regardless mite.

The tweet about needing 1 game has to be flat out a mistake. We need 3. 1 would be total ineptness on a new level. 2 more instead of 3 I suppose is possible because we've done that before in past but I sure hope it's 13 like real programs do when in exempt tourney.

Not even sure we can beat UMASS ooc schedule. And they definitely won't have the best/toughest schedule. Seems similar to us without knowing the last few games. Note Umass is playing the full 13.

They play UVA and Harvard which certainly match up to our 2 toughest games, likely stronger.

Also have Rutgers, South Carolina (similar to our Vandy/BC) possibly stronger. Get either Arizona State or St. John's, and have a couple similar mid majors in Northeastern and Akron (to our Charleston and ODU).

Not even sure we can beat UMASS ooc schedule. And they definitely won't have the best/toughest schedule. Seems similar to us without knowing the last few games. Note Umass is playing the full 13.

They play UVA and Harvard which certainly match up to our 2 toughest games, likely stronger.

Also have Rutgers, South Carolina (similar to our Vandy/BC) possibly stronger. Get either Arizona State or St. John's, and have a couple similar mid majors in Northeastern and Akron (to our Charleston and ODU).

So we are not the same as URI?
Home
Alabama
Providence
Western Kentucky

Away
West Virginia
Brown
Middle Tennessee State
Maryland

Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic 11/22-24 VS LSU then North Texas

That is what they have so far...

At this point, unless we schedule the Los Angeles Lakers in a home-and-home, we're going to have about the fifth-best schedule in the least at best.

So as a practical question, why have we been unable to schedule better? Let’s stipulate for purposes of the argument that our schedule is not the toughest schedule in the league and also that that is in fact what CM intended when making that claim.

Is the problem that no one wants to play us? Or are we not that sophisticated with identifying, negotiating, or offering competition? Last but not least, do we have some actual strategy behind not maxing out our OOC game count?

It feels to me like this is what Joe Lunardi should be consulting us on. If we can’t get a really solid schedule with a schedule consultant, I’d argue we should maybe get our money back.

I think we're not an appealing team to play right now, unless you're a low-major looking for a payday from us in order to fill out the schedule. Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but they could have Lunardi, Jerry Palm, KenPom and Jay Bilas all on the payroll and it wouldn't help with the schedule. I could see them helping if we were on the bubble the past 2 years, but that is not the case.

I think we're not an appealing team to play right now, unless you're a low-major looking for a payday from us in order to fill out the schedule. Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but they could have Lunardi, Jerry Palm, KenPom and Jay Bilas all on the payroll and it wouldn't help with the schedule. I could see them helping if we were on the bubble the past 2 years, but that is not the case.
I agree that we are probably not a sexy pick to play right now. The flip side is neither is UMass yet they seemed to pull in a decent schedule. Perhaps it comes down to how many JetBlue direct flights there are to the city in question.

I agree that we are probably not a sexy pick to play right now. The flip side is neither is UMass yet they seemed to pull in a decent schedule. Perhaps it comes down to how many JetBlue direct flights there are to the city in question.

Something tells me if we had UMASS' schedule and they had ours, you would still praise theirs and criticize ours.

Something tells me if we had UMASS' schedule and they had ours, you would still praise theirs and criticize ours.
I actually wouldn’t. And as always, you’re quick to defend the incumbency. I would counter that you’re quick to praise everything this staff and team does in spite of vast evidence there are problems.

I’m asking a question about why we seem to have difficulty assembling the toughest schedule in conference. I recognize you think it’s an appropriate schedule, it may in fact be.

But the assertion from the coach and AD is we would have a really tough schedule. This is not a really tough schedule. I'm asking why we don’t have one. Did they change their minds? Were they unable to get tougher games? Do they intend to make it tougher with three more games?

Mooney never intended to schedule the hardest OOC schedule in the league, because he and everyone else knew that he would lose most of those games, even with the "best class ever." And losing them with the best class ever could mean he'd lose his job. And despite being a mediocre basketball coach, he's not an idiot.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I actually wouldn’t. And as always, you’re quick to defend the incumbency. I would counter that you’re quick to praise everything this staff and team does in spite of vast evidence there are problems.

I’m asking a question about why we seem to have difficulty assembling the toughest schedule in conference. I recognize you think it’s an appropriate schedule, it may in fact be.

But the assertion from the coach and AD is we would have a really tough schedule. This is not a really tough schedule. I'm asking why we don’t have one. Did they change their minds? Were they unable to get tougher games? Do they intend to make it tougher with three more games?

I don't praise everything the staff does. Far from it. I said more than once I didn't like Jacob playing 40 minutes, our not even trying for offensive rebounds strategy, and our defense. There are other things I mentioned, but I don't want to turn a schedule thread into another pile on the coaches thread, even though some of you continue to do just that.

Yes, I like this schedule a lot. So far, it is a near perfect schedule for a mid major with hopes of a possible at large bid. And, I think it is a lot tougher than you think. Wisky, Bama, Charleston, ODU, BC, Vandy, and maybe Auburn. Come on, now. Let's not hate just to hate.

I don't praise everything the staff does. Far from it. I said more than once I didn't like Jacob playing 40 minutes, our not even trying for offensive rebounds strategy, and our defense. There are other things I mentioned, but I don't want to turn a schedule thread into another pile on the coaches thread, even though some of you continue to do just that.

Yes, I like this schedule a lot. So far, it is a near perfect schedule for a mid major with hopes of a possible at large bid. And, I think it is a lot tougher than you think. Wisky, Bama, Charleston, ODU, BC, Vandy, and maybe Auburn. Come on, now. Let's not hate just to hate.
A) I didn’t “pile on the coaches.”
B) it’s a thread about the Lunardi Impact, isn’t questioning the schedule difficulty part of the conversation
C) You thought last year’s schedule was pretty good too and I methodically dismantled that preseason and proved to be accurate. So I’m far more inclined to trust my perspective than yours which is colored with favoritism towards the current staffs strategy.

Again, the schedule may be fine for where we’re at, but it’s hardly a super challenging OOC.

A) I didn’t “pile on the coaches.”
B) it’s a thread about the Lunardi Impact, isn’t questioning the schedule difficulty part of the conversation
C) You thought last year’s schedule was pretty good too and I methodically dismantled that preseason and proved to be accurate. So I’m far more inclined to trust my perspective than yours which is colored with favoritism towards the current staffs strategy.

Again, the schedule may be fine for where we’re at, but it’s hardly a super challenging OOC.
I’d be interested in knowing who we should have on the schedule that would make you and some of the others happy?
What, in your opinion, has been our best ooc schedule since these things mattered?

Reactions: VT4700
I’d be interested in knowing who we should have on the schedule that would make you and some of the others happy?
What, in your opinion, has been our best ooc schedule since these things mattered?
I think at a bare minimum we should max out the OOC game count. That feels like a no brainer. Beyond that, I think I’d shoot to swap out the BC and/or Vandy games with a team expected to finish midpack in their conference.

I don’t think it’s a bad schedule, it’s just not a top end schedule which is what CM professed. Im just asking why we couldn’t get that. Is it something about us being a sleeper team? Are we not great at selling or buying games? I’m honestly just looking for opinions.

You guys seem to think I’m attacking the program, I’m not. I'm questioning why we’ve stated something and then not been able to produce it.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Well, I feel like our fearful scheduling the last few years is just part of the overall apathy from our basketball leadership. We should be pushing to over schedule if that is ever possible each year. We need to aspire to be great - not try to set up a weak schedule some years and then get our a$$ kicked by Longwood, or Jacksonville State of Alabama. I agree about the Vandy and BC games. These are bottom dweller P6 games, that Hardt and Mooney think will placate our fans. These guys are clueless.

Ready for the excuses if we lose either game against Vandy or BC. This is the first time a lot of guy have played against a team like this. We only lost by a few next game will be different. We looked great in practice just wait next year and the following year. This year's class is the best yet. We are just a bit younger this year. If a few calls went our way the result would be different. I am so glad to see how hard we competed.

It's not difficult to schedule P6 teams on the road. Tell them we don't even need a buy game payout. We just want to come play them in their building this year. Call every top 50 team from last year. Pretty good suspicion that at least 10 of them would say ok, especially considering our 40 loses the past two years.

Reactions: mojo-spider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT