ADVERTISEMENT

OOC Tracker - Lunardi Impact

EDpHa4BX4AAu1bh
I do like "the look" of this graphic schedule. Small things......

Reactions: plydogg and SpiderK
In UR's schedule press release it said "ambitious" but after the bluster I thought it warranted something like...what we think is one of the toughest schedules in the A10...along those lines.

Take a look at St Joe's schedule, I think they win for toughest. Then you have URI, Davidson, VCU, and Umass all with tougher schedules. A couple teams like Dayton similar to ours. I think we'll slot in somewhere around 5th or 6th when it's over. There could be some surprises of course. Perhaps one could equate our schedule to competing but not winning.

Not a fan of our bait & switch offseason employed by Mooney Jabba the Hardt and Philly Bob Black. Fortunately I think our players themselves had a pretty good offseason and are primed to make up for it. Nothing like kids covering for adults.

It's an exhibition game.
I know that, but I didn't see it announced anywhere. And just saw it on the website schedule today.
Thought it might be good chance for a preview...

Last edited:
We should play Randolph Macon every year as an exhibition. I don't even mind UR having to go play in Ashland every couple of years. Its an exhibition, but with the close proximity of schools - it will draw some interest. And its a good way for guys to play against someone different than beat up on each other in practice over and over again. I think its a win win for both schools and something that should happen every year.

I feel like this is the 3rd year in a row maybe they've had this game? It feels to me like it's trending towards your preference Trap.

It's a good exhibition for all the reasons you mention.

I feel like this is the 3rd year in a row maybe they've had this game? It feels to me like it's trending towards your preference Trap.

It's a good exhibition for all the reasons you mention.
Last year it was Hampden Sydney

Are they different???
Yes, very. H-SC is one of the last two all male colleges in the country. R-MC is coed. H-SC is highly ranked academically. R-MC is middle of the road. H-SC has a beautiful campus. R-MC is in Ashland. You'll never guess which is my alma mater!
BTW, R-MC is much better in basketball, so it'll be a better challenge than last year with the Tigers.

Yes, very. H-SC is one of the last two all male colleges in the country. R-MC is coed. H-SC is highly ranked academically. R-MC is middle of the road. H-SC has a beautiful campus. R-MC is in Ashland. You'll never guess which is my alma mater!
BTW, R-MC is much better in basketball, so it'll be a better challenge than last year with the Tigers.
I need to add a sarcasm emoji next time.

Reactions: gospidersgo

You should have hired Shaver back.

Reactions: BillyWayne
Hampden Sydney has a 56% acceptance rate and a 67% graduation rate. Randolph Macon has a 61% acceptance rate and a 62% graduation rate. HSC is located in the boondocks, the nearest town being Farmville, VA.
RMC is pretty much in the Richmond Metropolitan Area.
RMC is about $6K cheaper at $25K per year (after financial aid).

For comparison, UR has a 32% acceptance rate and an 84% graduation rate.

I've been out of commission for a few weeks. Did Bob have a response for his "at least two more NCAA teams" and "half-dozen NCAA teams" comments, or was that all swept under the rug?

I've been out of commission for a few weeks. Did Bob have a response for his "at least two more NCAA teams" and "half-dozen NCAA teams" comments, or was that all swept under the rug?
The schedule is final, and to my knowledge there's been no acknowledgement that we didn't add NCAA-level opponents.

No need to respond. His comment was not that bad. Maybe he thought Charleston won the CAA. Or, maybe he thinks teams like Charleston, ODU, and Alabama have a good shot at the dance. So, I guess maybe to please you he could have said likely NCAA teams. But, it's really not a big deal. My goodness, give the guy a break.

No need to respond. His comment was not that bad. Maybe he thought Charleston won the CAA. Or, maybe he thinks teams like Charleston, ODU, and Alabama have a good shot at the dance. So, I guess maybe to please you he could have said likely NCAA teams. But, it's really not a big deal. My goodness, give the guy a break.
He made those proclamations well after the Charleston game had been announced, and ODU was known. Maybe he feels that way about Hampton, South Alabama and Radford.

No need to respond.

Last edited:
And, maybe it's his opinion that Charleston and ODU will be NCAA teams. But, bottom line is he does not need to come out and say " to the five or six people on the message board that are bothered by my comments, please forgive me. I am so sorry for this awful mistake I made."

He was clearly talking about hyping the games yet to be announced, but continue with your revisionist history.

Last edited:
Reactions: spider23
maybe Bob was given bad info, or misunderstood.
This seems to be the most likely scenario. Bob is a pretty straight shooter from what I know of him, but he has a role to fill as a non-objective promoter of the program.

I don't expect him to apologize for getting something like this wrong. I do think he loses credibility each time he gloms on to these things. And while I don't expect he'll end up on the Truth-o-meter anytime soon, I do think there are more than a few people paying attention to what's hype and what ends up being real.

This seems to be the most likely scenario. Bob is a pretty straight shooter from what I know of him, but he has a role to fill as a non-objective promoter of the program.

I don't expect him to apologize for getting something like this wrong. I do think he loses credibility each time he gloms on to these things. And while I don't expect he'll end up on the Truth-o-meter anytime soon, I do think there are more than a few people paying attention to what's hype and what ends up being real.

This.

I like Bob Black but there was no reason to make these statements. Even if the first one had been true, the second one couldn't be (simple math) and Andrew could have shot that one down immediately. Also, he said NCAA teams "from last year" for those goalpost-movers out there.

It adds to the perception - shared by more than a few - that our athletic department is disingenuous and liberal with their porcine lipstick application*. For all of Andrew's complaining about their lack of accountability, they can say anything they want without fear of being called out.

*I don't think our schedule is a pig, but there's no need to make stuff up just to make it something it's not. Just say our schedule is much better than last year and be done with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: whampas
This.

I like Bob Black but there was no reason to make these statements. Even if the first one had been true, the second one couldn't be (simple math) and Andrew could have shot that one down immediately. Also, he said NCAA teams "from last year" for those goalpost-movers out there.

It adds to the perception - shared by more than a few - that our athletic department is disingenuous and liberal with their porcine lipstick application*. For all of Andrew's complaining about their lack of accountability, they can say anything they want without fear of being called out.

*I don't think our schedule is a pig, but there's no need to make stuff up just to make it something it's not. Just say our schedule is much better than last year and be done with it.

Unfair to say he made things up. You don't know that. I don't think he would ever do that. Could be a simple mistake. For example, when he sees Charleston, maybe for a brief second he thought of their CAA title in 2018 when saying last year. Or, with Radford, they won their conference regular-season last year, and their conference tournament two years ago. So, with their recent success, it's not crazy to think of them as NCAA teams. Or, maybe we were trying like heck to get an NCAA team for our last game, and it looked like it would happen, but things changed, and we settled for one that won their regular-season last year, and went to the dance 2 years ago. Is that really that horrible? What he said was not a dramatic mistake at all. Certainly not worth making a big deal over. But, not surprising that those that like to whine about everything will look hard to find reasons to whine.

Bob is very well respected. Very. I don't think he needs to worry about losing credibility with a few whiners on a message board.

plus he's not part of scheduling. he's being told what they're working on. so if he's told we're in talks with some NCAA tournament teams, he's going with that. if they don't actually get those games, that's not on Bob.

plus he's not part of scheduling. he's being told what they're working on. so if he's told we're in talks with some NCAA tournament teams, he's going with that. if they don't actually get those games, that's not on Bob.

Exactly. But, I guess some people on here really think that Bob was sitting with Andrew before his radio show, and said "Andrew, it looks like we might have three or four tourney teams from last year, but I need to lie about that and say it's more."

Good lord you're obtuse. As pointed out repeatedly, he was hyping as-yet-unannounced games - so Charleston was not included.

Maybe he was including Charleston in his 1+1 = 6 math on the second statement, I don't know. Maybe he really is that bad at math. It's not that big of a mistake, as you say.

I get it, it's all part of the hype machine. I'll stand by the position that there's no need to bring up "last year NCAA teams" at all; especially if you can't deliver. Just say "better schedule than last year." That's true! See how easy that is?

Reactions: RichmondNative
Good lord you're obtuse. As pointed out repeatedly, he was hyping as-yet-unannounced games - so Charleston was not included.

Maybe he was including Charleston in his 1+1 = 6 math on the second statement, I don't know. Maybe he really is that bad at math. It's not that big of a mistake, as you say.

I get it, it's all part of the hype machine. I'll stand by the position that there's no need to bring up "last year NCAA teams" at all; especially if you can't deliver. Just say "better schedule than last year." That's true! See how easy that is?

Sorry. I didn't realize Bob was supposed to check with you before he said things. Unreal.

Agree Its probably not on Bob but it’s a super dysfunctional scenario that the schedulers could have thought that and/or miscommunicated it to the degree it was off by.

I’m personally not wrapped around the axle on this but theres a microscope on the program, and it’s not just a few whiners checking for warts.

Chop is right here. Bob is in the know as much as anyone for Spider hoops, he is longest tenured employee. People look to him on radio for legitimate info on the Spiders not blabbering on about the Eagles or Phillies. If he's that far off it's noticeable.

If he got bad info that may even be worse. Just a perpetuation of an offseason of very less than credible statements. I think they felt forced to prop up the schedule due the Lunardi nonsense and having to justify that consulting hire and Bob got caught up in it too. And if he just screwed up own up it's not that hard and people will respect that.

But you're right he probably doesn't feel like that's necessary given his previous comments about just replacing Spider fans. We're in no position to take loyal Spiders fans for granted, Bob should know that, and the overwhelming majority on this board for instance are indeed loyal Spiders fans.

Reactions: spider23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT