ADVERTISEMENT

OOC Tracker - Lunardi Impact

I never said that, and I don't bash Nick. I guess if we're comparing against 17/18, it would be how much of an upgrade are Nate and Blake over Buck and Khwan, though, right?

As Spiderman said, "Best Class Ever" is kind of irrelevant. We need to win.

I agree we need to win. And, it's not just Nick and Blake compared to Buck and Khwan, it's Nick and Blake with experience, along with Jacob, Grant, and Nate with experience, compared to Buck and Khwan, and Jacob, Grant, and Nate with no experience.

The bottom line is that Mooney needs to make the NCAA tournament or he is fired. There is no 16th chance here. I would have been fine with him coming out and saying, "We are going to schedule however we need to in order to make the NCAA tournament." I would have agreed with that, too.

Instead, he lied and said "We're going to have the toughest OOC in the league." I have no idea why he said that, other than to try to appease an angry fanbase midseason. It was a statement of desperation and stupidity.

The bottom line is that Mooney needs to make the NCAA tournament or he is fired. There is no 16th chance here. I would have been fine with him coming out and saying, "We are going to schedule however we need to in order to make the NCAA tournament." I would have agreed with that, too.

Instead, he lied and said "We're going to have the toughest OOC in the league." I have no idea why he said that, other than to try to appease an angry fanbase midseason. It was a statement of desperation and stupidity.

My goodness, you're reading so much into a simple statement. We don't even have evidence of exactly what he said. Maybe he said "I think" in front of it. Maybe he told Hardt he wanted the hardest schedule in the A-10 and felt it would happen. Maybe he meant to say "one of". Maybe he actually did say "one of" because I remember some earlier threads talking about him saying exactly that.

But, really, who cares? Why does this bother you so much? Any other coach could have said that and have our schedule so far and you would not be bothered. I can maybe see your frustration if we had a garbage schedule so far, but it looks like it is shaping up to be a quality schedule. So, if it ends up being "one of" the hardest and not the hardest, is it really worth making a big deal about it as if Mooney were so far off with his comment?

Maybe we can just wait to see what the final schedule looks like before everyone goes Johnny bananas with their complaining/defense of it.
Apparently, no we can't...

Unfortunately...

I agree we need to win. And, it's not just Nick and Blake compared to Buck and Khwan, it's Nick and Blake with experience, along with Jacob, Grant, and Nate with experience, compared to Buck and Khwan, and Jacob, Grant, and Nate with no experience.
Yup. Though you swapped Nick and Nate. It's all good.

My goodness, you're reading so much into a simple statement. We don't even have evidence of exactly what he said. Maybe he said "I think" in front of it. Maybe he told Hardt he wanted the hardest schedule in the A-10 and felt it would happen. Maybe he meant to say "one of". Maybe he actually did say "one of" because I remember some earlier threads talking about him saying exactly that.

But, really, who cares? Why does this bother you so much? Any other coach could have said that and have our schedule so far and you would not be bothered. I can maybe see your frustration if we had a garbage schedule so far, but it looks like it is shaping up to be a quality schedule. So, if it ends up being "one of" the hardest and not the hardest, is it really worth making a big deal about it as if Mooney were so far off with his comment?
I have evidence of what he said -- he said it on live radio, and I was listening. It bothers me because he said it as if it were fact, when a) it most likely won't be and b) there's really no way he could have known then anyway. It was just a dumb statement to make.

You think that Vanderbilt, the single worst P6 team by conference W/L last year, and the other games we know at this point equal a "quality" schedule, and I think that's a crock. So be it.

Maybe we can just wait to see what the final schedule looks like before everyone goes Johnny bananas with their complaining/defense of it.

Gosh it seems like forever ago that I said we should reserve judgment until the full schedule is released. :)

But based on what's been released so far, it's objectively not even "one of" the toughest schedules in the A10. So, there is more work to do.

not nearly as big a deal to me, but it was a weird statement. especially without a finished schedule and having very little knowledge of the other A10 schedules. maybe he misspoke and meant one of the toughest schedules HE'S put together.

I'd have gone with:
"I really like the team we have coming back next year. I think we can handle more aggressive scheduling. We're going to try our best to have one of the toughest schedules in the A10".

Gosh it seems like forever ago that I said we should reserve judgment until the full schedule is released. :)

But based on what's been released so far, it's objectively not even "one of" the toughest schedules in the A10. So, there is more work to do.

Do you realize you keep saying you will withhold judgment, and then keep following that up by judging it?

not nearly as big a deal to me, but it was a weird statement. especially without a finished schedule and having very little knowledge of the other A10 schedules. maybe he misspoke and meant one of the toughest schedules HE'S put together.

I'd have gone with:
"I really like the team we have coming back next year. I think we can handle more aggressive scheduling. We're going to try our best to have one of the toughest schedules in the A10".

Sounds good. He was on live radio. It's not like he's rehearsing for hours about what to say. I doubt that he is intentionally trying to lie to anyone about that. Maybe he just simply misspoke, like you said. Such a minor thing people are getting bothered about.

Taken in a vacuum, I might agree. But he was so over the top definitive about it, it was like he was fighting back at the time against anyone who dared to criticize the program. And it came on the heels of his embarrassing failure to answer a very simple question from O'Connor about the state of the program. On top of that, we laid another season-long egg. We have two empty spots for next year and likely no one worthwhile on our radar.

So to me, it was and is indicative of more widespread failures in leadership.

Do you realize you keep saying you will withhold judgment, and then keep following that up by judging it?
I don't even know why I bother.

It's incomplete.

You seem to think the games announced yesterday are "enough."

If we fill out the rest of our OOC with typical Quad 4 fodder, it won't be enough. I don't even see how this is objectively arguable. If we add some more quality Quad 2 and even a Quad 1 game, I will be thrilled.

Reactions: Eight Legger
The bottom line is that Mooney needs to make the NCAA tournament or he is fired.

Simple as that for me! No doubt with what we know about the team probability is Mooney can't do it, but he's has enough chances and time to pleasantly surprise us. No excuses like if this, if that, or next year, just do it Coach Mooney and I will be quite impressed and on your side again. Go Spiders!

I understand that many feel this way. I'll still take everything into consideration.

The schedule doesn't matter if the coach can't make the team play. This dude has shown no propensity to get a team to play at a high level for any period of time. Just win the schedule that's there at this point. Worry about schedule once there's a legit chance of beating it. Not happening as long as CM is coach. Been proven.

The schedule doesn't matter if the coach can't make the team play. This dude has shown no propensity to get a team to play at a high level for any period of ti
me. Just win the schedule that's there at this point. Worry about schedule once there's a legit chance of beating it. Not happening as long as CM is coach. Been proven.

But, it has also been proven that he can win the A-10 tourney and take a team to the sweet 16. Works both ways, right?

And about the OOC schedule, I'll take a bad Vandy over any mid-major with a few exceptions every time. Have preached it all the time here about putting out the perception UR isn't scared to play anyone. The committee will always favor the P5/6 no matter what BS they speak. So play as many as possible, get enough wins to impress. So it's Auburn/Wiscy, WF, Vandy, and BC so far? Good. Hopefully can add a 5th.

Reactions: urfan1 and VT4700
Bob says we probably aren't playing Wake but are playing ODU and one other NCAA team from last year.

One other ncaa team total? Ouch. I hope he meant as replacement for Wake.

Losing Wake is ok for next year. Depending on replacement of course. But good long term traditional H&H as they should improve eventually. But there have been periodic years we didn't play it will likely pick up again.

I am telling.you, it’s a hell of a time to get UVA and Va Tech. Both will suck next season.

It is a bit of a walk-back, though, to change Mooney's statement from potentially "the best class ever" to "one of the best classes ever."

^^This. Words matter. Mooney said it a couple times. He said it back in December too not just end of year. One of? What does that even mean...top 10 ever? Now we just get one of the toughest A10 ooc schedules too? Nope not really close. SOS is VERY important and I do honestly believe we need better than what I see and what is presumed as additional games.

Impossible to prove but Hardt imo misrepresented it intentionally & I don't respect that. It's not like it was an absolute but it wasn't "one of". See old JOC story link...

https://www.richmond.com/sports/col...cle_145d55d2-b54e-5661-9c00-73ae96578609.html

Mooney is so hesitant to say anything publicly re: goals it was actually refreshing to hear him on these subjects and now the season is barely cold and we backpedal so fast we could win the Tour de France.

We have 5 legit guys in 1 class now. If you're going to be the best that means NCAA both years, at least 1 win in NCAA, and winning A10 at least once too. big hat no cattle hardt wants to keep an out. Well you know we were close things happen bids are hard. That's why he massages statement imo. Still amazing that nobody outside UR sees as anything close to NCAA. 7th or 8th place about the expected projection. And whatever that's ok. Still eye opening on some level. Now I think we'll do lot better, we should. No excuses.

I am telling.you, it’s a hell of a time to get UVA and Va Tech. Both will suck next season.

UVA will not come close to sucking. They have a good class coming in and just signed one of the best JUCOs in the country who will likely help them right away. Also, Diakite might be back.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
^^This. Words matter. Mooney said it a couple times. He said it back in December too not just end of year. One of? What does that even mean...top 10 ever? Now we just get one of the toughest A10 ooc schedules too? Nope not really close. SOS is VERY important and I do honestly believe we need better than what I see and what is presumed as additional games.

Impossible to prove but Hardt imo misrepresented it intentionally & I don't respect that. It's not like it was an absolute but it wasn't "one of". See old JOC story link...

https://www.richmond.com/sports/col...cle_145d55d2-b54e-5661-9c00-73ae96578609.html

Mooney is so hesitant to say anything publicly re: goals it was actually refreshing to hear him on these subjects and now the season is barely cold and we backpedal so fast we could win the Tour de France.

We have 5 legit guys in 1 class now. If you're going to be the best that means NCAA both years, at least 1 win in NCAA, and winning A10 at least once too. big hat no cattle hardt wants to keep an out. Well you know we were close things happen bids are hard. That's why he massages statement imo. Still amazing that nobody outside UR sees as anything close to NCAA. 7th or 8th place about the expected projection. And whatever that's ok. Still eye opening on some level. Now I think we'll do lot better, we should. No excuses.

This is almost exactly what I came on here to post.

Mooney is measured and careful with his words almost to a fault. We've all heard him repeating the same phrases to the media after a 20 point loss to Hampton as he does after wins.

So I think it's fair for our fans to question these two fairly bold (by comparison) statements by him. If this junior class is our best class ever, let's expect an NCAA tourney out of them, regardless of the classes around them being unbalanced. If you said toughest OOC, let's see it. I want and hope both of these things will be true/correct.

This is almost exactly what I came on here to post.

Mooney is measured and careful with his words almost to a fault. We've all heard him repeating the same phrases to the media after a 20 point loss to Hampton as he does after wins.

So I think it's fair for our fans to question these two fairly bold (by comparison) statements by him. If this junior class is our best class ever, let's expect an NCAA tourney out of them, regardless of the classes around them being unbalanced. If you said toughest OOC, let's see it. I want and hope both of these things will be true/correct.
Bingo. Both statements came at a time when his seat was on fire. They smelled desperate, like he was trying to save face publicly or save his job privately. Once he knew he was coming back, less urgency, so the statements both probably got dialed back.

Reactions: GKiller
I have evidence of what he said -- he said it on live radio, and I was listening. It bothers me because he said it as if it were fact, when a) it most likely won't be and b) there's really no way he could have known then anyway. It was just a dumb statement to make.
Just shut up, give them your money so we can all hang separately.

Actually, there are many places in VA, NC, SC and the rest of the South that have multiple "dry" counties. Completely dry. Utah doesn't have that and hasn't since the 80's. SLC is a party town in a large way. Much larger than RVA by a wide margin. Blue laws? Don't exist there. They can actually shop at their favorite grocery stores on Sunday. Why do people without a clue as to what happens in the rest of the country show up and say ignorant things. Educate yourself before spewing. Maybe Google it or go see for yourself. You can then be enlightened to what really is. You can't buy a bottle of booze in VA except for in a State store. Heck, if you're a bartender and don't scrape off the VA brand from the neck of the bottle when it's empty and before you trash it you can go to jail.

VA is behind the times and it's not going to change anytime soon.

Marley, tell me all about Utah. We're all ears...
Been there and it is beautiful. Plenty of microbreweries there, but if you buy beer in a restaurant you get a double sizes glass. However, the acohol content is required by law to be extremely low. Also, when I was there they were in the middle of debating changing the bac for drunk driving to .5 (or is it .05). This is lower than most states including Va. That level is basically the equivalent for me of half a beer to be considered driving while intoxicated...so, yeh loved a lot about the area, but thought comparatively speaking there laws on beer were overall stricter (and yes I know if you go into the stores that sell alcohol that you can buy those beers at regular abv levels).

Been there and it is beautiful. Plenty of microbreweries there, but if you buy beer in a restaurant you get a double sizes glass. However, the acohol content is required by law to be extremely low. Also, when I was there they were in the middle of debating changing the bac for drunk driving to .5 (or is it .05). This is lower than most states including Va. That level is basically the equivalent for me of half a beer to be considered driving while intoxicated...so, yeh loved a lot about the area, but thought comparatively speaking there laws on beer were overall stricter (and yes I know if you go into the stores that sell alcohol that you can buy those beers at regular abv levels).
It's .05. It won't be the only state going there. .05 isn't one beer for the average human being unless they are under 100lbs. Why is this bad?

I have zero problem calling an Uber if I've been drinking more than two. I'm no tea toting person, but I kind of like to be safe from drunks on the road when I drive my family around. .08 is what it is in most all states. 4 brews and you are there. 4 is too many to be driving after. You can also get beer at standard ABV levels in any bar you join in Utah for a $10 annual fee (less than the cost of two drinks). Salt Lake parties way harder than anywhere in VA and now they don't get to kill after doing it.

Go to much of Europe and you're .03 and done. They get it. That's two drinks for most of us. I've got no problem with that either. Every single day you see mangled dead people done in by people who just don't give a rat's arse and hop into a 4000lb piece of metal thinking that 4 drinks is OK.

Nuff said and off the soap box.

Reactions: Eight Legger
It's .05. It won't be the only state going there. .05 isn't one beer for the average human being unless they are under 100lbs. Why is this bad?

I have zero problem calling an Uber if I've been drinking more than two. I'm no tea toting person, but I kind of like to be safe from drunks on the road when I drive my family around. .08 is what it is in most all states. 4 brews and you are there. 4 is too many to be driving after. You can also get beer at standard ABV levels in any bar you join in Utah for a $10 annual fee (less than the cost of two drinks). Salt Lake parties way harder than anywhere in VA and now they don't get to kill after doing it.

Go to much of Europe and you're .03 and done. They get it. That's two drinks for most of us. I've got no problem with that either. Every single day you see mangled dead people done in by people who just don't give a rat's arse and hop into a 4000lb piece of metal thinking that 4 drinks is OK.

Nuff said and off the soap box.
I am all for sober driving and do not have a problem with .08. If I have more than one beer you can bet that I am not driving. I weigh 195, drank two beers one night (stouts) and got pulled over (this was years ago by the way so that you do not think I am contradicting myself by saying one beer only when driving) for a problem with the lights. Agreed to a breathalyzer and blew a-thankfully-.07. This was after sitting for over an hour after the beers and having some food. Add in that most microbreweries are a little higher in alcohol content and you are really talking about limiting yourself to one beer, not four-unless of course you prefer PBR.

Reactions: urfan1
I am all for sober driving and do not have a problem with .08. If I have more than one beer you can bet that I am not driving. I weigh 195, drank two beers one night (stouts) and got pulled over (this was years ago by the way so that you do not think I am contradicting myself by saying one beer only when driving) for a problem with the lights. Agreed to a breathalyzer and blew a-thankfully-.07. This was after sitting for over an hour after the beers and having some food. Add in that most microbreweries are a little higher in alcohol content and you are really talking about limiting yourself to one beer, not four-unless of course you prefer PBR.
Good. Two is plenty. If you blew .07 after an hour and two brews you gotta go see a doctor. Seriously.

Good. Two is plenty. If you blew .07 after an hour and two brews you gotta go see a doctor. Seriously.
Ridiculous. Know of similar situations for others as well-not singular in nature. You seem like a good guy so not going to argue with you on this one, just disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT