ADVERTISEMENT

OOC Tracker - Lunardi Impact

Hardt email says we play College of Charleston at home and Vandy on the road. Great job, Joe! Way to get us hooked up with a team that went 0-18 in the SEC last year. I'm sure that will help our strength of schedule.
Meanwhile Vandy Baseball won its second NC!

Looks like we are not on Wake Forest schedule this year. I guess Joe doesn't have much clout with the Deacs.

Vandy was a downgrade from Wake.

Kenpom had Vandy finishing at 155 and Wake at 174 last year, and Vandy will likely be better again this year. With Vandy being an away game, they only need to finish 135 or better for it to be a quad 2 game.

Kenpom had Vandy finishing at 155 and Wake at 174 last year, and Vandy will likely be better again this year. With Vandy being an away game, they only need to finish 135 or better for it to be a quad 2 game.

I'm talking solely about projections for next year. Last year numbers won't help us. Here is 1 projection site I like. Not b/c they have Wake much higher than Vandy, I've posted about this site before. It's just 1 of the few with early projections and good credible site overall.

http://www.barttorvik.com/trankpre.php

When Kenpom comes out with his projections for next year I expect Wake will be higher. If you want to make a bet on that one too we can. Wake would have been a road game as well btw. But I've said before I'm not upset with the Vandy home & home at all, I like it. Think Vandy and Wake may end up close in any rankings, but ultimately still a downgrade this year IMO. Also we'll be far from the toughest OOC in A10. Say what you mean and mean what you say Mooney and Hardt.

Last edited:

the benefits of being in a P6 conference, even when you're bad you're "decent"

With Jerry Stackhouse as coach they're going to be better?

This has been mentioned before on the Board. If memory serves, the scuttlebutt was the Wake arrangement(generally home and home) was created by the Robins family endowing an academic chair at Wake. In return the bb series was created. Claiborne Jr at one time was really into Spider BB. I believe there was a break before and it resumed the next year but I believe that we got back to back home games to accomodate then the rotation started again. Have no idea if ther arrangement is in perpetuity or whether there is a set date for expiration. This would be a good question for John Hardt or Bob Black. If the above is correct, then Lunardi was not a factor.

Seems ok. Likely better than what our schedule is looking like. And we have lot more resources. If they took out that D2 game I'd say for sure better. They have a couple in state weak teams but we always do too. They have Okl State and VCU at home. VCU is probably a higher ranked OOC team for C of C then we'll play against all year in our own OOC. They are also in a better tournament, getting 4 solid games vs. 2 for us. Hopefully our OOC is better but I have no confidence it will be.

Per JOC Tweet, we are playing at Alabama. That's an improvement. We still have one game left to fill.
Still no additional NCAA team like Bob Black stated.

Note that Hardt's update letter said the Vanderbilt game was away - will wait and see which is correct. The schedule above is very home-heavy (which is not a bad thing).

Also, I count 10 games in the tweet, plus "Needs 1 game." Is our OOC really only 11 games next season?

Last edited:
Note that Hardt's update letter said the Vanderbilt game was away - will wait and see which is correct. The schedule above is very home-heavy (which is not a bad thing).

Also, I count 10 games in the tweet, plus "Needs 1 game." Is our OOC really only 11 games next season?
That's what I counted too. So you get 18 conference games and 11 out, for 29? I presume the limit is still 31 games if you have a qualifying event/tournament.

Would be strange. No reason to only play 11. But, I like the looks of it so far. 7 real good opponents from a name and hopefully a quadrant standpoint, and 2 of the other 3 we are locked into with the early tournament. Would be nice to get at least 2 more games and get to 12 (if not 13), with one being a possible quad 2 game.

Alabama went 18-16 last year, but still finished #64 in Kenpom and they would be a quad 1 game for us this year if they finish top 75. This schedule looks like a real good schedule for us. If we do well, it should clearly help any at large chance we might have.

Would have been nice if it said need 1 game wants 3...

Filling out a schedule, much like filling out a roster, is not Mooney's strength, as we have seen repeatedly.

Quads, based on last year's NET:

Quad 1
@ Alabama
Wisconsin (Brooklyn)
maybe Auburn (Brooklyn)

Quad 2
@ ODU

Quad 3
Vanderbilt
BC
Charleston
maybe New Mexico (Brooklyn)

Quad 4
St. Francis
CSUN
McNeese St

If Vandy was indeed switched to a home game, it really hurts the chances of that game being a quality win on the sheet. They're closer to a Q4 than a Q2 if we play them at home.

I like the addition of Alabama. Have to give credit where it's due; that's a smart add. Glad Oats wanted to play us.

It's definitely better than last year. Based on what's been released so far, it's a far cry from the "best OOC in the conference." I'd love to see one more quality game and not a Q4 scrub.

Look at the advantages of not playing the full number of allowed games. Less possible losses, helps with average attendance numbers, players get more rest for end of season push, don't have to feed students before home games, don't have to pay the pep band or schedule halftime entertainment. The school makes more money because season ticket prices and parking are the same regardless of number of games.
I'm sure there are other advantages.

Other thoughts on schedule...

If we only have 11 games OOC I'll fly to Richmond and lock hardt & mooney out of Robins Center myself. We better have the full 13 or fire those 2 for cause. It matters. Will assume JOC spoke quickly & informally to Mooney at Diamond b4 or after HR derby and it was just not covered completely. But I also don't trust Mooney or Hardt after this toughest in A10 bs so who knows.

Still think South Alabama is possible next year. They are actually projected to be ok next year. hell of a lot better than say St Francis. No way was that a buy game at South Alabama. But could be a 1 year hiatus in between games like we did with oral roberts.

Hardt wrong on Vandy location, shocker. Yes I trust JOC to be right more than Hardt. As Broc pointed out that hurts the numbers in a year we need it.

Alabama is a good add. But they are no ncaa lock. More of a middle of pack SEC. Vandy and BC are last place type teams in their leagues. Auburn/Wisc/ODU all down, that's maybe bad luck. But you know it and have to make up for it accordingly. I don't see a lot of NCAA teams honestly. 2 is not enough. You need more like 4 on schedule, plus another couple NIT.

The schedule is better of course. Impossible not to be. But strong enough for NCAA expected & worthy, bestclassever team? Nope. The last 2 games have to be very strong.

Where is the NCAA team Bob said? Is he in on it too?

I love how Hardt said potential to play 3 NCAA teams in the Legends Classic. Right then and there I knew we wouldn't get the ncaa team (colgate) at home. Swapping in colgate/green bay for CSUN/McNeese would make a crazy difference

The fact Mooney said toughest in A10 was flat out ridiculous.

I'm high on the team tho, if we win it will be in spite of others.

Last edited:
So 4 games against P5/6 and maybe a 5th if win against Wiscy. And if another game pops up and is P5/6 than great. Maybe not the best P5/6 comp, but definitely the way to go in my book than playing mid-majors. No complaints from me as long as Mooney's team wins their share.

Reactions: VT4700
So 4 games against P5/6 and maybe a 5th if win against Wiscy. And if another game pops up and is P5/6 than great. Maybe not the best P5/6 comp, but definitely the way to go in my book than playing mid-majors. No complaints from me as long as Mooney's team wins their share.

There are good elements to the schedule and those are some of them. Helps with fan interest home or away too. Still lacking in enough quad 1 or quad 2 games. I think some will be surprised at how few we end up with OOC at end of year imo. Or your’re relying on both a10 strength and killing it within the a10. Let’s hope there’s some good news coming with the 3 last games, not 1 game. Team deserves what was promised.

The hell of it is that I would probably have been ok with this schedule. It fits a team that should be better but without overwhelming it. For Mooney to go out and just brazenly declare an as-yet unmade schedule as the hardest one in the league earlier this year was just stupid. He set the expectation and now has failed to live up to it. Which I guess is pretty much his M.O.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT