ADVERTISEMENT

Much higher probability of Mooney retiring than leaving from U of R.

I agree he isn't leaving but I think "Target on his back" meant from opposing defenses with the current roster for next season.
Yeah got that, but I would personally think if he left and went P5 then he would be a known enitiy there as well. I guess you can look at it from both perspectives.

Reactions: urfan1
Ok...but "no target of his back" not sure about that one and better opportunity for what? Other than going to the tourney? I personally don't buy the better exposure thing. Scouts have been out to see him at multiple games, been at practice, so thats not an issue. There are zero indications that he is unhappy here. From my understanding his parents want him to get his degree. Just because high percentage of the MB doesn't like coach doesn't mean the players don't. I think others have made that point on here as well. Of course they have a differnt perspective than the avg fan. Could he leave sure...but if Tyler has dreams and goals of making the league, just like any other player, he can do that here. It only takes a good year...and hes having that for the most part. It has been discussed what he needs to work on to be drafted. How do "we" know he isn't gettting "good instruction"? The board complains constantly about things they think about what the stafff does or doesn't do...Ex: rebounding...and it is a fair complaint, no doubt. But is that instruction, or is that a player "want to" skill? Yes, I know it could also be our system/scheme that limits some of those rebounding issues. In todays college landscape players leave for all kinds of reasons, ususally at the first sign of adveristy. I don't think he will leave but he could but I really hope he does stay and these are just my thoughts on it.
There was an article in the RT-D, I think yesterday, where Mooney stated that he doesn't philosophically believe in offensive rebounding. Ironically, the article also pointed out that Richmond's best 2 winning seasons were in years where they less than 300 in differential. Duh!

There was an article in the RT-D, I think yesterday, where Mooney stated that he doesn't philosophically believe in offensive rebounding. Ironically, the article also pointed out that Richmond's best 2 winning seasons were in years where they less than 300 in differential. Duh!
Ya he doesn’t believe in offensive rebounding so we can get back on defense because you know we’re soooo good at that already.

It’s such a ridiculous philosophy. I’ve literally never heard of another coach endorsing it. It would be like in football saying “We’re going to throw a deep pass on first down, and if we don’t complete it, we’re punting on second down.”

I get that and was using the rebounding as an example. It is an issue and I think it is due to our system or at least in part. But I stand by my "its a want to" skill. A lot of times our guys are 4 out or 5 out and that def makes it harder to rebound.

Reactions: whampas
The Davidson game this year is a great Example of rebounding coming back to bite us. They are also a terrible rebounding team but crushed us by double digits on the boards and many of their offensive boards resulted in made 3’s. We’ve had way too many games like that over the past 17 years.

The Davidson game this year is a great Example of rebounding coming back to bite us. They are also a terrible rebounding team but crushed us by double digits on the boards and many of their offensive boards resulted in made 3’s. We’ve had way too many games like that over the past 17 years.
VCU is also a terrible rebounding team.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
If we win tomorrow night, Mooney is a lock to stay.
As much as I hate Mooney, I cannot root for VCU. I can only hope after beating them Mooney turns to the VCU crowd, gives them the double bird and screams for them to go f*** themselves. Geez, if he were to do that maybe, just maybe. Naah!! Still hate him.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
Every game is just another game to me now and it’s been that way since about 2016. I don’t go to nearly as many UR games anymore now and even when I do I don’t go as a fan of UR. I just go as someone to watch a college basketball game because I have nothing better to do. I know many who handle it the same as me.

• Sad
I get that and was using the rebounding as an example. It is an issue and I think it is due to our system or at least in part. But I stand by my "its a want to" skill. A lot of times our guys are 4 out or 5 out and that def makes it harder to rebound.
I agree the "want it" is a skill. The issue is Mooney's philosophy does not develop that skill, in fact I would argue his strategy actually bleeds that skill out of players. It is a soft mentality by basically giving up on the offensive glass, you are taking the intensity out of our players by having them retreat every time a shot goes up. And players have to know that they are going against coaching philosophy if they do decide to go after one and then we get beat on the transition defense.

There is a reason why Mooney is pretty much alone in the coaching community in preaching this philosophy.

I agree the "want it" is a skill. The issue is Mooney's philosophy does not develop that skill, in fact I would argue his strategy actually bleeds that skill out of players. It is a soft mentality by basically giving up on the offensive glass, you are taking the intensity out of our players by having them retreat every time a shot goes up. And players have to know that they are going against coaching philosophy if they do decide to go after one and then we get beat on the transition defense.

There is a reason why Mooney is pretty much alone in the coaching community in preaching this philosophy.
There is something to be said for analytics, but taking the emotion out of the players and fans for a couple of percentage points isn’t working.

Very disappointing loss last night. Still have 4 regular season games and the A10 tournament. Hopefully we finish strong.
We all hope that, but know it’s not going to happen. In the meantime I have to put up with the VDU trash in my face.

The guy is a complete moron. I will say though that he must be a great schmoozer and salesman.

Reactions: whampas
Very disappointing loss last night. Still have 4 regular season games and the A10 tournament. Hopefully we finish strong.
Disappointing but not surprising. It’s time for a change, had been for a while now.

We all hope that, but know it’s not going to happen. In the meantime I have to put up with the VDU trash in my face.
I don’t always think of the ones I know as trash. Maybe that’s because the ones I have interactions with are MCV Dept heads?

Anyway…

I hope we finish strong…and with less losses than in 2019-2020, but it will be difficult…

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I don’t always think of the ones I know as trash. Maybe that’s because the ones I have interactions with are MCV Dept heads?

Anyway…

I hope we finish strong…and with less losses than in 2019-2020, but it will be difficult…

Hope in one hand and count Moonie's NCAA appearances in the last 11 years on the other and see which one fills up first.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Hope in one hand and count Moonie's NCAA appearances in the last 11 years on the other and see which one fills up first.
I think you missed the joke. I hope we have only 6 losses by Tax Day…

But sadly I think it will be difficult to un-lose 4 games…

Glad you came on today, we all want what is best for the program. We all bleed for the kids, hate to see them lose!
I agree. Mooney has sucked all life out of most of us and the players. When the life has left UR80, we know Mooney has finished the job.

I agree. Mooney has sucked all life out of most of us and the players. When the life has left UR80, we know Mooney has finished the job.
Tantamount to when reluctant sellers finally dump stocks at market bottoms.

Maybe there's hope.

Reactions: SpiderK
As we get closer to the end of the season I think there is a 60% chance Mooney gets an extension, 40% chance he does not get an extension. A lot depends on what happens the rest of the season.

I don't see any chance that the university will let him go before his contract expires.

As we get closer to the end of the season I think there is a 60% chance Mooney gets an extension, 40% chance he does not get an extension. A lot depends on what happens the rest of the season.

I don't see any chance that the university will let him go before his contract expires.
UR80 is at 40% for getting rid of Mooney. We are almost there.

To date the administration has shown no "drive" to improve our men's basketball program by hiring a new coach. It is past time for a new coach but taking "odds" on the school seeing it that way is a losing proposition right there with our participation in the NCAA tournament since 2011.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
80s I’m never going to go in on you, but that post feels like you putting a Kick Me sign on your own back
I am not going to say what is popular or what people want to hear, unless it is the truth. I like Richmond basketball and could not care less if a majority of people on this board don't liked me. I do hope the players and their families like what I post and will always support them.

A lot of people try to use this board as a marketing campaign to get rid of the coach, which is not going to happen. The university is not going to spend millions buying out a coach that has done a pretty good job. The football coach has had a losing record since coming to U of R and he is coming back next year.

Last edited:
I am not going to say what is popular or what people want to hear, unless it is the truth. I like Richmond basketball and could not care less if a majority of people on this board don't liked me. I do hope the players and their families like what I post and will always support them.

A lot of people try to use this board as a marketing campaign to get rid of the coach, which is not going to happen. The university is not going to spend millions buying out a coach that has done a pretty good job. The football coach hasn't had a winning season since coming to U of R and he is coming back next year.
technically he has had 3 winning records at UR

Reactions: UR80sfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT