ADVERTISEMENT

Much higher probability of Mooney retiring than leaving from U of R.

I wouldn’t assume that. I’m not privy to any inside coach info and not sure why you figure bench players in all of that… but ok. Many people on this board & in general act like getting a D1 scholarship is easy. Portal or not, it’s difficult. That being said the numbers between wins and losses hasn’t really supported the portal as a fast track to winning games, sooo we probably should keep that in mind too. But we are venturing into new territory in college 🏀 and the portal will be a factor every year for everyone moving forward.
Ya it’s a new era that I don’t see our inept athletic department doing very well in. Even with the nil stuff, what are we doing? Almost nothing. I know a few guys did some nil deals but nothing major. If you’ve listened to vcu basketball on the radio aka “the snowstorm” they have their players advertising stuff and talking about nil deals during commercial. Do we do anything like that? I don’t think so. I see Hardt unfortunately as a guy who just has his head in the sand, keeps eating his meat and potatoes at the buffet and says everything is fine. That’s the Attitude towards athletics everywhere at this university.

I wouldn’t assume that. I’m not privy to any inside coach info and not sure why you figure bench players in all of that… but ok. Many people on this board & in general act like getting a D1 scholarship is easy. Portal or not, it’s difficult. That being said the numbers between wins and losses hasn’t really supported the portal as a fast track to winning games, sooo we probably should keep that in mind too. But we are venturing into new territory in college 🏀 and the portal will be a factor every year for everyone moving forward.

what I am assuming? we may be misreading one another. btw I said bench players bc those r the ones more likely to transfer thus the more likely talking to one another about it. misery loves company sort of.

I don't know who is talking to whom, you've made it seem on a couple occasions that u have some other secret info u can't divulge. That's fine but it gets me to the point I was trying to make. Kids talk all the time, what percentage works out as anticipated...maybe 5% at best. Call it irons in the fire but they're not hot they're indeed cold. I realize u know players both here and elsewhere but that's not too meaningful in these cases. Now if a UR coach is actively involved or directing it then ok there would be more to it. NCAA violation but more to it. Otherwise it's just kids talking mainly for fun. Some will hit, but it's a low %. Kind of like regular hs recruiting, some kids talk "offers" up.

U r right about the portal, not new been that way for years tho the no sit out makes it even busier. I think we'll get a transfer, we've gotten them before (TJ is Mooney's only great hit). A new coach would surely be more successful at it tho. So I actually do anticipate an incoming transfer, but it's highly unlikely to be anyone u r thinking of now, plus if history is any indication we never get the "rumored" guy anyway. If there was a chance you've jinxed it. But nothing wrong with the info sharing, that's what the board is about. Most of us have had some inside nuggets that miss.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Mooney is a much better coach than many people on the board give him credit for. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/richmond/ If you excluded his 1st 2 years, where he inherited an absolute mess of a program, his average SRS per year averages 5.88, which is higher than any coach in the school history. A lot of this has to due to our significantly improved strength of schedule since joining the A10. More recently, over the last 3 years only one team has won more games in the A10 and they were aided by the NCAA player of the year.

Our SAR has averaged higher over the last 3 years than Dick Tarrant’ s best year. 2 years ago we won the most regular season wins in program history, had the highest SRS in program history and should have gone to the NCAA if it was not for Covid. We were also on track to make it last year until 3 Covid breaks hurt our season. I am not saying he is a better coach than Dick Tarrant or Bob Mckillop, who are 2 of the best in history. What I am saying is that there are a lot of metrics for grading a coach and Mooney has done a good job for a program associated with a school with high academic standards.
Dwight from the office speaks again.

what I am assuming? we may be misreading one another. btw I said bench players bc those r the ones more likely to transfer thus the more likely talking to one another about it. misery loves company sort of.

I don't know who is talking to whom, you've made it seem on a couple occasions that u have some other secret info u can't divulge. That's fine but it gets me to the point I was trying to make. Kids talk all the time, what percentage works out as anticipated...maybe 5% at best. Call it irons in the fire but they're not hot they're indeed cold. I realize u know players both here and elsewhere but that's not too meaningful in these cases. Now if a UR coach is actively involved or directing it then ok there would be more to it. NCAA violation but more to it. Otherwise it's just kids talking mainly for fun. Some will hit, but it's a low %. Kind of like regular hs recruiting, some kids talk "offers" up.

U r right about the portal, not new been that way for years tho the no sit out makes it even busier. I think we'll get a transfer, we've gotten them before (TJ is Mooney's only great hit). A new coach would surely be more successful at it tho. So I actually do anticipate an incoming transfer, but it's highly unlikely to be anyone u r thinking of now, plus if history is any indication we never get the "rumored" guy anyway. If there was a chance you've jinxed it. But nothing wrong with the info sharing, that's what the board is about. Most of us have had some inside nuggets that miss.
I hear you…def understand. Didn’t mean to come off as a turd so I apologize. It doesn’t have anything to do with players I know and I brought it up a while back bc it was relevant. I don’t know if it will happen and certainly the staff doesn’t fill me in but if this rumbling comes to fruition it would be good at least imo(so I haven’t missed yet 😃), but I’ve been wrong before😀 ask my wife 😂. That’s all I got, so here’s to me not jinxing it 🤞🏼🙏🏼and there are guys who don’t pan out at the P5 level but can be very good at MM level. A lot on here ( not saying you) talk about getting low end transfers but I just don’t see it that way. I know some are joking around it is a MB but Kids are are on scholly for a reason. It really has to do a lot with fit and timing. We have only 1 scholarship remaining correct? I think we all realize that with only 1 player coming in with Waltz and possibly 9 on the way out, a transfer seems logical as does their position. 🕷🏀

Also, I think a much more likely scenario if Mooney remains is Tyler Burton taking his talents to a P5. He will be highly sought after and does he want to spend his final year in some Mooney rebuilding effort that assuredly won't result in a NCAA bid.
Tough one there.

Big fish in little pond vs more visibility & possibility to play on NCAA Tourney Team.

Mooney's recruiting has improved significantly over the past 6 years.

It makes no sense to say the team should have done better over the past 3 years when only one team has won more games in the A10, while also saying he is a terrible recruiter.

Maybe you could say he has done a great job recruiting and should have done better with the talent he has.
So recruiting has improved, but NCAA appearances have remained constant.

Tough one there.

Big fish in little pond vs more visibility & possibility to play on NCAA Tourney Team.
A little proportion. Games televised on bigger networks, (not ESPN+) against better competition and , Team wise, We could very well be a little fish in a small pond. I hope he stays but understand if he doesn’t

I would like to hear 2011's thoughts on the usefulness of:

Simple Rating System (SRS)
Ratings Performance Index (RPI)
NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET)

I don't mean how the committee weighs them but how helpful they are in determining each season's performance.
The usefulness of a rating system depends on what you want to use it for. If it is for predicting the winners of matchups, it is easy to objectively evaluate the usefulness of a rating system. Just measure how many games it predicts correctly, just make sure you use the rating of each team BEFORE the game is played. If you want to use a rating system to evaluate a "season's performance" or for determining the "quality of a resume" that becomes very difficult since those things are subjective.

In terms of predictive power, by my calculations the NET has been better than the RPI. I have not looked at SRS before.

Last edited:
We are all frustrated by our lack of success and want to win championships. This coach has not delivered and we all should want better results. Went to LaSalle game after sitting out many and staying home. Brought a family with no ties to UR because my family has so many tickets that are not being used due to apathy towards program. This family just went to Cameron on Monday to see Duke and UVA and said they enjoyed our game more. Tells me we have much to offer but just need better leadership to move us forward.

I compare our program more to Davidson due to academics. We both are in the suburbs of a big city.. we both have a much larger intercity school as a rival in UNCC and VCU. We both have long term coaches. How can Davidson continue to reload when they lose a McGrady and we underperform again? It tells me McKillop has a better system in place. He obviously lately is bringing in the right players for his system. We both require 5 scorers on the floor, yet in the beginning we had Wilson, Gilly and Cayo who could not hit the broad side of a barn. It took CM a while to make adjustment. Granted Gus, Diji and Crabtree were both injured or recovering, but we had supposedly depth.

I will always root for us to win no matter who is coaching, but Mooney has gotten much too comfortable in his position. I want to see more animation and fire, and a sign that he just hates to lose and we can see it.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
Mooney hates to be criticized more than he hates to lose.
Amen, he is very thin skinned, doesn't like to be questioned about anything that could remotely be construed as criticism. One of the reasons, he can't get better as a coach is that he can't self reflect very well, take criticism etc... Again, another quality he shows us from time to time that you think the leaders of a university with a leadership school would say, hmmm, that is not optimal leadership. But yes, he is a fine representative of UR.

Are we sure he even hates to lose?
I mean, I'm sure he would rather win. But I think there is an acceptance with the losses now and something that he just chalks up as out of his control. Again, red flags should be popping somewhere. When you have one of our senior players acknowledge in the press that yes the team is not meeting his goals and then the coach is asked about it and can't acknowledge that basic fact and instead goes into deflection mode. That is media relations 101 anytime your team is not losing to own it and say it is not acceptable and you and your staff, players are working to correct it.

Huesman does this all of the time (although that routine does get old, when it doesn't get corrected), but I think Mooney thinks that he never acknowledges it, that his bosses and higher ups won't notice either. I guess the strategy has worked pretty well for his continued survival as a coach, but it isn't being accountable, honest, or transparent about your current situation. Another thing a school with a leadership school should probably take pause with.

Reactions: Zeeter
I've never seen anyone take 7-21 better. Oh look it's vcu week again.
Don't worry. This time will be just like the Freshman visit by Golden, Gilyard, and Cayo.
A 15 point win (last 6 scored by VCU) with 8 minutes by Kirby, and 7 by Friendshuh...

Don't you have any confidence in this sure thing?

Reactions: SpiderGuy
I compare our program more to Davidson due to academics. We both are in the suburbs of a big city.. we both have a much larger intercity school as a rival in UNCC and VCU. We both have long term coaches. How can Davidson continue to reload when they lose a McGrady and we underperform again? It tells me McKillop has a better system in place. He obviously lately is bringing in the right players for his system. We both require 5 scorers on the floor, yet in the beginning we had Wilson, Gilly and Cayo who could not hit the broad side of a barn. It took CM a while to make adjustment. Granted Gus, Diji and Crabtree were both injured or recovering, but we had supposedly depth.

I will always root for us to win no matter who is coaching, but Mooney has gotten much too comfortable in his position. I want to see more animation and fire, and a sign that he just hates to lose and we can see it.
UNCC doesnt compare to VCU basketball. They havent danced in 17 years. DU has been much more relevant in recent years. Not that it matters much, you are right on the comparisons. I do disagree that small scools cant succeed though. It has happened very often. Providence has 4800 undergrads,
Butler 5500, St. Mary’s 3900, to name a few.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Amen, he is very thin skinned, doesn't like to be questioned about anything that could remotely be construed as criticism. One of the reasons, he can't get better as a coach is that he can't self reflect very well, take criticism etc... Again, another quality he shows us from time to time that you think the leaders of a university with a leadership school would say, hmmm, that is not optimal leadership. But yes, he is a fine representative of UR.
Mooney just sucks in so many ways, lol. The list goes on and on.

Reactions: SpiderK
We are all frustrated by our lack of success and want to win championships. This coach has not delivered and we all should want better results. Went to LaSalle game after sitting out many and staying home. Brought a family with no ties to UR because my family has so many tickets that are not being used due to apathy towards program. This family just went to Cameron on Monday to see Duke and UVA and said they enjoyed our game more. Tells me we have much to offer but just need better leadership to move us forward.
To say a college basketball fan enjoyed the experience of seeing UR against LaSalle over Duke UVA at Cameron is very hard to believe. Was it too loud and exciting for them at Cameron and they liked the wine and cheese
Crowd more at robins because the kids could nap?

small schools currently in the top 50 NET include

Gonzaga -- 7k enrolled
SMC -- 4k enrolled
San Francisco -- 6k enrolled
Belmont -- 8k

So it is possible just not here and not with Emperor Moonie.
It's excuse city for Mooney. First it was academics for several years. Now our prestigious poster 80's let us know a few years ago that is fixed and not a hurdle. Then we got charters, then RC renovation, before that 1.3 mil/yr, now a practice facility, etc etc. Woe is me, what can it be now? Can't be the thin skinned, no blame, no goals, no defense, no rebounding, no excitement, no hope, no change, buy new fans, poor substitutions, terrible late game strategy, no inbounds play, no big sippie cup coach can it. Nahhhhh.

Wow, that was a mouthful, glad I was typing.

To say a college basketball fan enjoyed the experience of seeing UR against LaSalle over Duke UVA at Cameron is very hard to believe. Was it too loud and exciting for them at Cameron and they liked the wine and cheese
Crowd more at robins because the kids could nap?
Wasn't that the night of the baby race. That might make a difference? Or did I get my half time entertainment nights mixed up?

Overall experience includes, parking, treatment by ushers and features of arena to include seating, lighting, graphics and video boards in each corner. The acoustics in the Robins Center are also very good. By no means trying to compare quality of teams to Duke or UVA just an objective opinion from a family that came to see a college game with their kids and had a great experience in our arena. In my mind, this speaks volumes that we have a solid product to offer but need more wins to take this program to another level for fans like me that don't want to just compete but want to win conference titles and have NCAA appearances on a regular basis.

Overall experience includes, parking, treatment by ushers and features of arena to include seating, lighting, graphics and video boards in each corner. The acoustics in the Robins Center are also very good. By no means trying to compare quality of teams to Duke or UVA just an objective opinion from a family that came to see a college game with their kids and had a great experience in our arena. In my mind, this speaks volumes that we have a solid product to offer but need more wins to take this program to another level for fans like me that don't want to just compete but want to win conference titles and have NCAA appearances on a regular basis.
Fair points.

I would have my bags packed, imagine with better instruction, better exposure, playing with P5 players, no target on his back, etc….. could not have a better opportunity
Ok...but "no target of his back" not sure about that one and better opportunity for what? Other than going to the tourney? I personally don't buy the better exposure thing. Scouts have been out to see him at multiple games, been at practice, so thats not an issue. There are zero indications that he is unhappy here. From my understanding his parents want him to get his degree. Just because high percentage of the MB doesn't like coach doesn't mean the players don't. I think others have made that point on here as well. Of course they have a differnt perspective than the avg fan. Could he leave sure...but if Tyler has dreams and goals of making the league, just like any other player, he can do that here. It only takes a good year...and hes having that for the most part. It has been discussed what he needs to work on to be drafted. How do "we" know he isn't gettting "good instruction"? The board complains constantly about things they think about what the stafff does or doesn't do...Ex: rebounding...and it is a fair complaint, no doubt. But is that instruction, or is that a player "want to" skill? Yes, I know it could also be our system/scheme that limits some of those rebounding issues. In todays college landscape players leave for all kinds of reasons, ususally at the first sign of adveristy. I don't think he will leave but he could but I really hope he does stay and these are just my thoughts on it.

Reactions: spiderman
Ok...but "no target of his back" not sure about that one and better opportunity for what? Other than going to the tourney? I personally don't buy the better exposure thing. Scouts have been out to see him at multiple games, been at practice, so thats not an issue. There are zero indications that he is unhappy here. From my understanding his parents want him to get his degree. Just because high percentage of the MB doesn't like coach doesn't mean the players don't. I think others have made that point on here as well. Of course they have a differnt perspective than the avg fan. Could he leave sure...but if Tyler has dreams and goals of making the league, just like any other player, he can do that here. It only takes a good year...and hes having that for the most part. It has been discussed what he needs to work on to be drafted. How do "we" know he isn't gettting "good instruction"? The board complains constantly about things they think about what the stafff does or doesn't do...Ex: rebounding...and it is a fair complaint, no doubt. But is that instruction, or is that a player "want to" skill? Yes, I know it could also be our system/scheme that limits some of those rebounding issues. In todays college landscape players leave for all kinds of reasons, ususally at the first sign of adveristy. I don't think he will leave but he could but I really hope he does stay and these are just my thoughts on it.
I agree he isn't leaving but I think "Target on his back" meant from opposing defenses with the current roster for next season.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT