ADVERTISEMENT

Much higher probability of Mooney retiring than leaving from U of R.

Serious question; do we even want to win the auto bid anymore? I want to go to the NCAA’s as much as anyone but we do know if we get the auto bid we’re just stuck with mooney for probably at least another 5 years and another 5 years of this. I would say right now I do want to win the auto bid somehow but it’s something to truly ponder though.

I would like to hear 2011's thoughts on the usefulness of:

Simple Rating System (SRS)
Ratings Performance Index (RPI)
NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET)

I don't mean how the committee weighs them but how helpful they are in determining each season's performance.

and watch, the "big-time transfer" will be a soft loser that averaged 4 and 3 on some terrible P5 team.
are you saying you think a P5 big man averaging 14 and 7 would transfer to Richmond with a different coach?
it would either be a high conference guy not getting much time, or a low conference guy (like TJ) who wants to play at a higher level. (another reason not to drop in conference)

are you saying you think a P5 big man averaging 14 and 7 would transfer to Richmond with a different coach?
it would either be a high conference guy not getting much time, or a low conference guy (like TJ) who wants to play at a higher level. (another reason not to drop in conference)
I get your point, but the flip side is the woe is me thinking that we are stuck here, cannot hire a coach that is dynamic and can recruit. We cannot have the success that St. Mary's, VCU, Dayton, SDSU, etc have had. It's not Mooney misssing out on every PF recruit the last 5-6 years, its the school conference and our great roster.

Reactions: 8legs1dream

I'm saying the "big time transfer" is either all smoke or his game is all smoke.

Reactions: bullfrog91
Yes, that could happen. It won't with Mooney but yeah, a new coach with a different vision, who can speak to P5 recruits and P5 transfers could make it happen. Anthony Grant does it at Dayton. Get guys with P5 offers all of the time. It is not as hard as you think it might be, but of course if your barometer is how hard it is for us with Mooney, than yes it is impossible.

Also, I think a much more likely scenario if Mooney remains is Tyler Burton taking his talents to a P5. He will be highly sought after and does he want to spend his final year in some Mooney rebuilding effort that assuredly won't result in a NCAA bid.

If you look hard enough you can find stats to support just about anything.

But in reality the only real metric that counts is W-L and how that translates to post season opportunities and success.
Agree with your post in its entirety ..but "cherry picked" for my response. Took stats at UR and stats can be used to prove a point no matter how farfetched. Worked for a number of years as a National Bank Examiner and "our" stat quote was "Stats can be used to prove about anything but nothing is emphatic as zero." Since 2011 men's Richmond basketball has been selected to play in zero NCAA tournaments. That indicates precisely why our program needs a change at the top.

Last edited:
Serious question; do we even want to win the auto bid anymore? I want to go to the NCAA’s as much as anyone but we do know if we get the auto bid we’re just stuck with mooney for probably at least another 5 years and another 5 years of this. I would say right now I do want to win the auto bid somehow but it’s something to truly ponder though.
Dumb question. Of course we want the auto bid.

I get your point, but the flip side is the woe is me thinking that we are stuck here, cannot hire a coach that is dynamic and can recruit. We cannot have the success that St. Mary's, VCU, Dayton, SDSU, etc have had. It's not Mooney misssing out on every PF recruit the last 5-6 years, its the school conference and our great roster.
Mooney's recruiting has improved significantly over the past 6 years.

It makes no sense to say the team should have done better over the past 3 years when only one team has won more games in the A10, while also saying he is a terrible recruiter.

Maybe you could say he has done a great job recruiting and should have done better with the talent he has.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Yes, that could happen. It won't with Mooney but yeah, a new coach with a different vision, who can speak to P5 recruits and P5 transfers could make it happen. Anthony Grant does it at Dayton. Get guys with P5 offers all of the time. It is not as hard as you think it might be, but of course if your barometer is how hard it is for us with Mooney, than yes it is impossible.
Just look at Kim English at Mason. Signed four P5 transfers last summer when he got there and they all either start or play major minutes.

Just look at Kim English at Mason. Signed four P5 transfers last summer when he got there and they all either start or play major minutes.
Kim English is a guy I’d love to see us make a run at by the way. I think he’s a rising star.

until it happens, I'm saying it can't. unless you can find a P5 big man EVER who's averaged 14 and 7 that's transfered to a mid major without legal issues or failing out of school or some other wierd circumstance.

ntil it happens, I'm saying it can't. unless you can find a P5 big man EVER who's averaged 14 and 7 that's transferred to a mid major without legal issues or failing out of school or some other wierd circumstance.
Classic moving the goal posts. Dayton has been bringing in top 100 guys. SDSU has a guy on the roster sitting out, 6'9" P6 transfer. No, he did not put up those numbers at p6 school, but a lot of chatter that he can be that type of guy next season. No record or bad grades to note that I am aware of, such put that crutch down :). I recall you saying we were not interested in Hassan Ward. We could absolutely use him. We just have continuously missed on these type of guys. We could absolutely use a 6'8 athletic player now. Unbelievable.

Never said this was coming from a coach…you guys do realize players know other players too right? I never said “Big Time Transfer” either.

Sure but then it's a very cold iron. also big time transfer wasn't me. I think they were just trying to be funny. So we have bench players talking to other bench players.

Classic moving the goal posts. Dayton has been bringing in top 100 guys. SDSU has a guy on the roster sitting out, 6'9" P6 transfer. No, he did not put up those numbers at p6 school, but a lot of chatter that he can be that type of guy next season. No record or bad grades to note that I am aware of, such put that crutch down :). I recall you saying we were not interested in Hassan Ward. We could absolutely use him. We just have continuously missed on these type of guys. We could absolutely use a 6'8 athletic player now. Unbelievable.
I said I wouldn't expected a P5 big putting up 14 and 7 to transfer to Richmond ... after 8legs complained that it would probably be a P5 guy with poor stats. 14 and 7 P5 bigs don't transfer down without a bad reason. so no, I don't expect that here whether it's Mooney or Beilein or Wainwright or Tarrant.

for some reason you start talking about Dayton's top 100 recruits or an SDSU transfer who averaged 6 and 4 at TCU?

and you say I'm the one moving the goal post ???

Reactions: Zeeter
and no, I didn't say anything about Hassan Ward. no idea if we had interest. I'd be very interested in an athletic big man like him. he's not Grant Golden, but he'd be a useful piece.

I said I wouldn't expected a P5 big putting up 14 and 7 to transfer to Richmond ... after 8legs complained that it would probably be a P5 guy with poor stats. 14 and 7 P5 bigs don't transfer down without a bad reason. so no, I don't expect that here whether it's Mooney or Beilein or Wainwright or Tarrant.

for some reason you start talking about Dayton's top 100 recruits or an SDSU transfer who averaged 6 and 4 at TCU?

and you say I'm the one moving the goal post ???
The point is there are athletic big guys that can be recruited, doesnt have to be a guy that is averaging 14 and 7, moving the goal post. Needs to be a guy that can help. Other mid majors get them, we do not. Mooney does not. You can defend him all you want, but we can do better. Look at our past, Tarrant and JB - two great coaches. No need to keep on settling for Mooney.

Never said this was coming from a coach…you guys do realize players know other players too right? I never said “Big Time Transfer” either.
I have no idea who you were referring to as a potential transfer. HOWEVER, it isn't hard to see where "playing time" (significant minutes) are immediately available at UR next year for big men. The opportunity could be very attractive to the right player(s).

Sure but then it's a very cold iron. also big time transfer wasn't me. I think they were just trying to be funny. So we have bench players talking to other bench players.
I wouldn’t assume that. I’m not privy to any inside coach info and not sure why you figure bench players in all of that… but ok. Many people on this board & in general act like getting a D1 scholarship is easy. Portal or not, it’s difficult. That being said the numbers between wins and losses hasn’t really supported the portal as a fast track to winning games, sooo we probably should keep that in mind too. But we are venturing into new territory in college 🏀 and the portal will be a factor every year for everyone moving forward.

Reactions: Eight Legger
80’s fan do you believe Mooney deserves an extension? Do you think the team’s results so far this year support an extension?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT