ADVERTISEMENT

Jonathan Haidt: Can a divided America heal?

iSpider

Graduate Assistant
Dec 31, 2007
Jonathan Haidt: Can a divided America heal?
Filmed November 2016 at TEDNYC

A novel non-partisan view.

"How can the US recover after the negative, partisan presidential election of 2016? Social psychologist Jonathan Haidt studies the morals that form the basis of our political choices. In conversation with TED Curator Chris Anderson, he describes the patterns of thinking and historical causes that have led to such sharp divisions in America — and provides a vision for how the country might move forward."

A 20 minute view. Another in the wonderful, free TED presentations.

TED: Ideas worth spreading. "TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) is an American set of conferences run by the private nonprofit organization Sapling Foundation, under the slogan "Ideas Worth Spreading"

Jonathan Haidt:
"By understanding more about our moral psychology and its biases, Jonathan Haidt says we can design better institutions (including companies, universities and democracy itself), and we can learn to be more civil and open-minded toward those who are not on our team.

Haidt is a social psychologist whose research on morality across cultures led to his 2008 TED Talk on the psychological roots of the American culture war, and his 2013 TED Talk on how "common threats can make common ground." In both of those talks he asks, "Can't we all disagree more constructively?" Haidt's 2012 TED Talk explored the intersection of his work on morality with his work on happiness to talk about "hive psychology" -- the ability that humans have to lose themselves in groups pursuing larger projects, almost like bees in a hive. This hivish ability is crucial, he argues, for understanding the origins of morality, politics, and religion. These are ideas that Haidt develops at greater length in his book, The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion.

Haidt joined New York University Stern School of Business in July 2011. He is the Thomas Cooley Professor of Ethical Leadership, based in the Business and Society Program. Before coming to Stern, Professor Haidt taught for 16 years at the University of Virginia in the department of psychology.

Haidt's writings appear frequently in the New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. He was named one of the top global thinkers by Foreign Policy magazine and by Prospect magazine. Haidt received a B.A. in Philosophy from Yale University, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania."

Also worth viewing on TED: Jonathan Haidt: The moral roots of liberals and conservatives, 18 minutes. Filmed March 2008. "Psychologist Jonathan Haidt studies the five moral values that form the basis of our political choices, whether we're left, right or center. In this eye-opening talk, he pinpoints the moral values that liberals and conservatives tend to honor most."

My father knewJonathan Haidt when he was at UVa. He says that Mr. Haidt is a super, very grounded person, liked by all, and totally apolitical. Also, obviously very bright.

Reactions: Ulla1
1. End illegal immigration and send all illegals back.
2. Slow legal immigration and allow current immigrants time to assimilate
3. Reform future immigration to give preference to those with Western values and English language proficiency.

It is my belief Trump will institute all three reforms and the nation will begin to see signs of healing before his first term is even through.

little i, not to be mean but what you posted sounded like psychobabble and i majored in psych which does not bring me to his level at all. some things do not need to be that deep to understand, except to academics, of course.

1. End illegal immigration and send all illegals back.
2. Slow legal immigration and allow current immigrants time to assimilate
3. Reform future immigration to give preference to those with Western values and English language proficiency.

It is my belief Trump will institute all three reforms and the nation will begin to see signs of healing before his first term is even through.

This is the racist BS that most of us who are not Trump supporters are tired of. I still don't know what your axe to grind is, but I know that this is racist rhetoric that I am disappointed to see associated with my university -- oddly enough, one of the best universities in the country at providing international education for students who arrive with little to no English language proficiency.

This is the racist BS that most of us who are not Trump supporters are tired of. I still don't know what your axe to grind is, but I know that this is racist rhetoric that I am disappointed to see associated with my university -- oddly enough, one of the best universities in the country at providing international education for students who arrive with little to no English language proficiency.

TeamRican1 is not serious. He is playing the role of an agent provocateur. He either finds it interesting to rile the members of this board or is engaged in a study to test the reactions of members of this board to preposterous and ridiculous statements. Or, he may just be a sickie. Whatever, we will soon know.

I didn't want to disclose this yet, but I have the benefit of a fantastic IT team at my disposal for work and they have massive experience in penetration testing and cyber security. As a favor to me, they are working on learning TeamRican1's true identity and position. Though they must limit their efforts in this area to non-work hours, they tell me they should have definitive information within a week or so.

little i, not to be mean but what you posted sounded like psychobabble and i majored in psych which does not bring me to his level at all. some things do not need to be that deep to understand, except to academics, of course.

Some prefer to fish on the surface and are happy with their catch. Others like to fish at a deeper level where they find a different prize.

Reactions: urfan1
This is the racist BS that most of us who are not Trump supporters are tired of.

Would this also be racist?

1. Stop allowing football staff that just showed up without being hired and remove all non-hired football staff from the team.
2. Reduce football staff's expansion and allow current staff time to assimilate into Richmond's football culture.
3. Reform future football hiring practices to give preference to those who like football and have English language proficiency.

I declined to vote for a presidential candidate because I thought all the options were unacceptable, but my sympathies don't lie with the side that constantly screams racism at their opponents. Be more charitable as there are many other reasons besides racism for various conservative positions. Why do you assume the worst in those who disagree with you? Even if someone's views are wrong, it doesn't mean they arrived at them through racism.

are we suppose to applaud you little i for attempting to find out the identity of someone on here? just give it up and move on within your small world.

1. Stop allowing football staff that just showed up without being hired and remove all non-hired football staff from the team.
2. Reduce football staff's expansion and allow current staff time to assimilate into Richmond's football culture.
3. Reform future football hiring practices to give preference to those who like football and have English language proficiency.

I declined to vote for a presidential candidate because I thought all the options were unacceptable, but my sympathies don't lie with the side that constantly screams racism at their opponents. Be more charitable as there are many other reasons besides racism for various conservative positions. Why do you assume the worst in those who disagree with you? Even if someone's views are wrong, it doesn't mean they arrived at them through racism.

I have had enough interaction with the poster in question to feel good about my assessment. I have no need to be charitable.

Reactions: iSpider

His third point:

Not really sure how you could read the bolded part in any way other than exclusionary. What are "Western values?" Why should we limit our melting pot nation to "Western values?"

Reactions: localspider
I believe some think they should step across the border melted and molded -- assimilation takes time.

Fan - I think the problem lies with the increasing number of people who have no interest in assimilation. If you want to come to America to be an American, that is great. If you want to come to America to receive benefits, surround yourself only with others like you, not speak our language, and expect America to change to accommodate you then people have a problem. And rightfully so I think.

I don't like the word assimiliation because it implies a forced change in behavior. As in, you can only come here if you want to look, act and think like we tell you to. (And I realize no one here is using it that way, just to be clear. When I think of assimilation, I think of our men's basketball program, which at times has stripped guys of their own abilities and "forced" them to adhere to a robotic system. But I digress...)

I don't want a country of people who all think, look and act alike.

I do agree that anyone who comes here should do so legally and should not expect any special rights. Learn to speak the language, absolutely. My grandfather came here from Europe by himself at the age of 14, a few bucks in his pocket, just like millions of others did. They did it the right (legal) way, and I am proud of that. There absolutely should be standards, and those who don't meet them or try to avoid them should be sent back.

But many of us who were born here already surround ourselves mostly with people just like us, so I'm not sure we can criticize immigrants who do the same.

I believe some think they should step across the border melted and molded -- assimilation takes time.

I very much agree with the point of your post and I think that it is the most often forgotten necessary consideration when viewing the behavior and habits of our new immigrants.

Perhaps as a corollary to your post or an example of a point which should also be brought up in considering it is the recognition that sometimes it is necessary for immigrants to embrace certain American ideals which may be contrary to those they observed when in the country from which they immigrated. Examples have recently arisen where Muslim women for religious reasons have been reluctant to remove their scarves in situations where the removal of headgear is necessary for proper identification. Though such issues are not major and are usually easily resolved, many have used such minor incidents as evidence against allowing further immigration, which in a substantial number of cases is obviously little more than a ruse to bolster narrow-minded preconceptions.

Such frivolous arguments support the fact that many in this country often act out of unrecognized fear and an irrational belief that any change to their way of life is a threat to the "safe" universe they have enjoyed for the last century. Of course, such is not the case. In fact, the opposite is true. Acceptance of different religions and cultures by all (immigrants included) leads to progress with respect to a more universal and harmonious world view which will ultimately provide all of us more assurances that we will be better situated to avoid world conflicts and wars thereby making the world, in fact, a safer place for all of us rather than a threat to anyone's current "universe."

I am generally fine with the language assertion. But, do keep in mind that it is just one subset of "assimilation." Again -- It takes time. Lots of it. There are stages of learning.

I don't like the word assimiliation because it implies a forced change in behavior. As in, you can only come here if you want to look, act and think like we tell you to. (And I realize no one here is using it that way, just to be clear. When I think of assimilation, I think of our men's basketball program, which at times has stripped guys of their own abilities and "forced" them to adhere to a robotic system. But I digress...)

I don't want a country of people who all think, look and act alike.

I do agree that anyone who comes here should do so legally and should not expect any special rights. Learn to speak the language, absolutely. My grandfather came here from Europe by himself at the age of 14, a few bucks in his pocket, just like millions of others did. They did it the right (legal) way, and I am proud of that. There absolutely should be standards, and those who don't meet them or try to avoid them should be sent back.

But many of us who were born here already surround ourselves mostly with people just like us, so I'm not sure we can criticize immigrants who do the same.

While I agree with almost all of your post, I do not personally associate the word "assimilation" with forced change. In my mind, it is a gradual willing acceptance of principles which are different from adopted or learned in a different country or culture. My understanding of the word may be based upon my recent readings of its current use rather than the traditional meaning, but I cannot think of a more appropriate word used in the context of what Fan1 intended to state based upon today's discussions using that word as it relates to immigration.

As to your statement about most of us who were born here surrounding ourselves with people just like us, I concur. We definitely do. I think that we do so because of our desire to be among those who think like us, who were raised like us, who had similar experience in high school or college, who share a similar sense of humor, etc., so that we not only feel comfortable in revealing ourselves but also enjoy the camaraderie of those who have enjoyed a similar experience in life. It helps us relax and have a good time, unfettered by any discomfort or awkwardness because we know that we share a common language and that we, for the most part, exhibit behaviors we know to be acceptable. Because of such, we interact more freely without feelings of awkwardness.

I do not see the same reasons causing new immigrants to surround themselves with others of their ethnicity. I think that our immigrants, for the most part, especially in the cases of adults, associate with other immigrants of their country or culture of origin because of such things as language barriers, knowledge of social customs, fear of saying or acting as what may appear inappropriate, etc.

If you look at the offspring of immigrants who were born here, such as yourself, you can see more clearly what I think Fan1 intended when he used the term "assimilation."
Do you feel that your values and behaviors have been forced upon you?

I have had enough interaction with the poster in question to feel good about my assessment. I have no need to be charitable.

Amen.
TeamRican1 out-trolls all trolls in the known universe. He has a history of stating nothing but preposterous and offensive statements. His incorrigibility is only exceeded by his monomania and zealotry. It has been reported by sources that he lives in asylum in the North Korean Embassy in Bejing, facing extradition requests from 42 nations. Rumor has it that Trump is planning an attack on that embassy by the Seal Team 6 and its new highly trained members.

He is such a vile and degenerate character that he once offended WebSpinner with his a contumacious post, such offense being no small task and long thought to be beyond the realm of possibility.

He has been declared a "deplorable deplorable" by higher-ups in the Trumpenreich. Both Steve Bannon and Kellianne Conway cannot refer to him without using the term despicable. Jared Kushner has vowed on the life of Ivanka and his three children to convert to Islam should TeamRican1 not be stopped in his fascist campaign to undermine democracy by the end of his father-in-law's first term in office.

Reacting to his posts without reading or considering their content is laudatory and SOP by those of this board. I respond to any post where his name is in the header with a diametrically opposite view, even without considering its content, knowing that my point will not only be valid but unquestionably so.

I can see no case for being charitable with TeamRican1.
Execution would be more appropriate than charitability. Atheists and Evangelicals alike agree. Even those who oppose capital punishment make an exception in his case.

please little i, type something that UR grads can read and understand, you do not need to do this, we all know that you can look up words, names and quotes really well. live in a neighborhood where i am a minority and encounter and spend time with those from other countries daily. like them all, we have fun and treat them like i do everyone else which is with respect and friendliness. almost every one of them have at one time or another said to me, "i do not understand your culture". always answer, our culture is different than your culture and if i moved to your country would feel the same way, would not understand your culture. that is the great thing, we do have a different culture and that is a good thing not a bad thing. the western cultures have shot themselves in the foot with their immigration policies and finally, even the prez of france said that we have a huge problem. if he had asked me, would have told him that a long, long time ago. we are not a melting pot, that was a phase when our country was growing, in its walking stage, we are now a mature country. do i feel that living where i do now is any more rewarding, special, than living in a neighborhood more like me, absolutely not, both are fine but do not see that i am any different than before. people just need to treat people as they would like to be treated, no class, no color, no religion, just people.

please little i, type something that UR grads can read and understand, you do not need to do this, we all know that you can look up words, names and quotes really well. live in a neighborhood where i am a minority and encounter and spend time with those from other countries daily. like them all, we have fun and treat them like i do everyone else which is with respect and friendliness. almost every one of them have at one time or another said to me, "i do not understand your culture". always answer, our culture is different than your culture and if i moved to your country would feel the same way, would not understand your culture. that is the great thing, we do have a different culture and that is a good thing not a bad thing. the western cultures have shot themselves in the foot with their immigration policies and finally, even the prez of france said that we have a huge problem. if he had asked me, would have told him that a long, long time ago. we are not a melting pot, that was a phase when our country was growing, in its walking stage, we are now a mature country. do i feel that living where i do now is any more rewarding, special, than living in a neighborhood more like me, absolutely not, both are fine but do not see that i am any different than before. people just need to treat people as they would like to be treated, no class, no color, no religion, just people.

Spinner,

You are so deep and complicated. How do you manage with apparent ease to understand all aspects of what I, and many others, consider such a complex world? And you do it with such apparent simplicity. You absolutely must pull me aside the next time you are in Richmond and let me know the secret of your ability to figure everything out with what appears to be the least amount of effort and introspection.

I need to tell you in all sincerity that with every one of your posts, I become more and more amazed at the ease with which you size up and fully understand within minutes, sometimes seconds, and often without even thinking, the true meaning of all aspects of life.

And as to me, personally, I just gotta also say that you were so quick to figure me out for what I am. You saw right through me almost immediately. I tell you this: It is almost scary the way you can size up a person like me (and even some others like me). I have been trying myself without success for some thirty plus years now to accomplish the same thing. And I am not stupid. Often ignorant or wrong, but not stupid. I have a few degrees, test scores, and a few memberships to prove it.

One of my biggest regrets is that I did not have the opportunity to live in the same generation and under the same influences as you, or, quite possibly, that I was not born with the same gifts as you. Maybe then I would have some of your magic-like attributes for figuring things out.

Oh well, in the words of a famous Navy man, I yam what I yam.
And, without question...apparent to everyone, you have definitively figured out what I yam.
Sincerely,
iSpider

PS: I think that humanity deserves the benefit of your wisdom. Have you or would you ever considered putting down all your answers in a book. You might want to consider as a title "Haughty Simple Answers to Really Stupid Questions." It would climb to the NYT Best Seller list within weeks.

gosh little i, you just said what everyone i know says about me. yes, i am very special but feel the books which i have already published tells all to all, nothing more needed. however, a clue, get rid of the "group" deal and just treat people as people.

And Trump voters are sick of the Left labeling every sensible immigration proposal as "racist". The US has more than enough "diversity". The problem with the Left is that they have no positive immigration plan. This is of course by design because the fundamental goal of the Left is not to create any particular type of society but rather the destruction of Western Civilization.

And I wonder if Jonathan Haidt gave this same speech in 2008? Because the only difference between then and now in terms of the division of the country is that this time the losing faction happened to be the side with the louder crybabies.

This is of course by design because the fundamental goal of the Left is not to create any particular type of society but rather the destruction of Western Civilization.

The destruction of western civilization seems pretty diabolical to me. How about saying that the left just wants to create more voters who would share their own world view (i.e. create more Democrats)? Doesn't that sound more likely and more practical? Besides, if there is anyone I can think of who wants the deconstruction (i.e. destruction) of western civilization, it's Steve Bannon.

The destruction of western civilization seems pretty diabolical to me. How about saying that the left just wants to create more voters who would share their own world view (i.e. create more Democrats)? Doesn't that sound more likely and more practical? Besides, if there is anyone I can think of who wants the deconstruction (i.e. destruction) of western civilization, it's Steve Bannon.

This brings me back to the obligatory voting standard that many countries have. I would love to see this in the US too. But many would not.

Bannon would nuke western Civ if he could. Probably eastern, too.

think europe is doing all they can to destroy what they were and we are not far behind. don't understand why american liberals want to be more like europe. love going there and enjoying their culture but certainly do not want to live in that culture. we have our own culture which is being dismantled brick by brick by those who really wish to live in cuba and certainly, because of our freedoms, they can go and live there. we can live in the world and enjoy our differences, not attempt to emulate some other country, we are unique and we should remain that way and enjoy who and what we are while enjoying what others are from a distance. we all know what open borders is about and we need to stop that immediately, if not sooner. we can work with other countries, help them when needed but we do not need to be globalists in the least. again, if you want open borders, socialism, move to other places where it is embraced instead of trying to drag half of our country where they do not wish to be.

The destruction of western civilization seems pretty diabolical to me. How about saying that the left just wants to create more voters who would share their own world view (i.e. create more Democrats)?

Because that simply isn't true. Somali immigrants or Guatemalan peasants have almost nothing in common with the Liberal Jewish elites are pushing the displacement of the American and European populations. Chuck Schumer shares no "worldview" with his landscaper. He just sees him as a useful weapon in the war against Western Civilization.

Because that simply isn't true.

Total BS. The GOP complaint for decades is that Liberals are soft on immigration because when they get here, Democrats give immigrants money and entitlements so they feel beholden and vote Liberal/Democratic. I'm actually shocked that you didn't put Shumer's name inside of three parentheses.

not soft on immigration, they just want open borders to follow the europeans, what a disaster. the last guy basically put up billboards on our border saying welcome, come on in, did not enforce our laws and when border states like tejas tried to enforce them, told them they could not do it, was the feds' job, a joke, no, a total joke. it is very simple to see what the dems want in immigration and why they want it that way. just hope the change that people voted for this time gets implemented over the dead bodies of those fighting it.

the prob is that with PC, people cannot say what they really think or to be more accurate, they are afraid to say what they really think, thus hushing intelligent discourse on a number of subjects. this allows certain people to think that their views are the majority views when in reality, they are not.

First of all, I don't let PC impede upon saying what I really think, and I believe you know better than that about me based on what I post on this forum.

Secondly, "intelligent discourse" is based on factual information from unbiased sources, not a "feeling" or simply thinking "something is so based on my own personal opinion" like believing that the world is flat despite centuries of evidence that it is round. Wishing (or simply believing) doesn't make it so. Sorry.

kind of what the media does, right kee?? what a joke but trust you, just not them.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/19/more-mexicans-leaving-than-coming-to-the-u-s/

This is the other good report that goes along with that... But, hey, if you (not you, urfan1, this is more of a royal you!) feel that more people want to be here, that's up to you. "You" are wrong!

What I find "amusing" is that at some point, somehow these stats from 2015 will be distorted to show the great effect of putting the wall up.

the point is, have some security at the border and enforce current laws, that has not been done. quit the open border mentality, that is a formula for diaster, look at europe. the wall is more a symbol as anything, we are now enforcing our laws, finally, it will make a difference. mexicans make up a wonderful part of our population, interact with them daily, they do a lot for me here (my insurance agent, my hairdresser, my doc) and everyone of them tells me that they are americans first and foremost. most of them were born here and their parents were born here. i love them but i also love our country and we need to have others respect our borders and our laws. if that happens, all is good. when we just turn the other way and put up signs to come on in, like the last guy did, then no person respects us.

Total BS. The GOP complaint for decades is that Liberals are soft on immigration because when they get here, Democrats give immigrants money and entitlements so they feel beholden and vote Liberal/Democratic. I'm actually shocked that you didn't put Shumer's name inside of three parentheses.

Prior to the election of the God Emperor in 2016 A.D., the GOP was full of nothing but cucks. The dynamic you describe is certainly true, but if you think for a minute Chuck Schumer would welcome the millions of Ukrainian or White South Africans who have legitimate refugee claims with open arms you'd have another thing coming. Steve Bannon understands the enemy in a way the Cuckservatives never did, or at least pretended never to. That's why the Left is freaking out so much despite Trump being the most moderate Republican elected since Ike. It isn't about entitlements or the social safety net for people like Schumer. For them, the only agenda is the destruction of white Christians.

Last edited:
the point is, have some security at the border and enforce current laws, that has not been done. quit the open border mentality, that is a formula for diaster, look at europe. the wall is more a symbol as anything, we are now enforcing our laws, finally, it will make a difference. mexicans make up a wonderful part of our population, interact with them daily, they do a lot for me here (my insurance agent, my hairdresser, my doc) and everyone of them tells me that they are americans first and foremost. most of them were born here and their parents were born here. i love them but i also love our country and we need to have others respect our borders and our laws. if that happens, all is good. when we just turn the other way and put up signs to come on in, like the last guy did, then no person respects us.

Hehe, technically he also put up the most "get the hell out" signs, as he deported more people than any president in history. But, again, facts.

believe what you want, i see it every day down here and he did not enforce our laws and he would not let local or state authorities enforce them either. it was open borders time down here even if you wish to believe what you read somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT