ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson Enters Transfer Portal, Commits to VCU

look at the PGs on MD's list. how many played at an A10 level program with better stats?
add that's he's from VA and that he has 3 years left.

he'll have options. I think spider fan is onto something with VCU. if he transfers down maybe look out for Mike Jones at UNCG.

Reactions: urfan1
As much as I liked Jaynel and was hopeful for future seasons, I do think he had some limitations on D. Really think we need to emphasize that side of the ball more.
yeah, there was some talk when Smith came aboard that we could play Smith and Nelson together.
I'm done with the 2 small guards thing. yes, it works offensively. I hate it on the other end, even whwn we had Blake and he was a good defender.

just too easy for an off guard to shoot over a sub 6' off guard.

Good luck to Nelson at his next stop. Maybe he'll be able to take his game to the next level.

Our top two players last year were Burton followed by Quinn. I had high hopes for Nelson, but admit I was somewhat pleased to see him move on. I think only Burton, Quinn, Roche, or Bigelow leaving would bother me at this point. I think Burton is the only real risk there.

We need
1) Burton to stay
2) above-average A10 PG in Smith or portal
3) one more quality starter in the 6-5"+ range from portal
4) Mooney to coach differently

That is a tall order, but for now I hold out hope a good season next year is still possible.
Totally right about all of these, and I would be shocked if more than one of them actually happens.

As much as I liked Jaynel and was hopeful for future seasons, I do think he had some limitations on D. Really think we need to emphasize that side of the ball more. The one game I saw in person (syracuse), could see him get lulled to sleep by Girardi and then he would shoot right over him or make a play. I do think his upside is on the offensive side, and was going to have some defensive limitations. Whether or not Dji can give us what we need on O, I do think he gives us some really good D at either guard spot.
This is fair. Not sure Smith will be ready…also note he’s a little smaller than JayNel. Let’s be fair, Smith isn’t Gilly and to put expectations on him like some did will JayNel just isn’t fair. Dji will have to score, he knows it. I think everyone knows it. He has to do it though and he can. I think there may be a chance with TB coming back and I like a few of the guys we are looking at. Dji played against a few on the circuit. Hopefully we will find out soon 🕷️🏀

I think if he was hitting the portal from another program we'd be blowing up his phone right now.
someone's going to have an opportunity for him.
Respect your opinion, but, I can't disagree more. If he decides to transfer up, it will not go well. The more we saw him play, the more apparent it became.

There are several points to his game that are below, and some well below, what is needed to be competitive at an A-10 level. I can't say whether he will ever get there, but, as stated previously, he wasn't going to be ready by next year.

You may recall some of Coach Fezz's comments during the season.

Reactions: Spider2020
Respect your opinion, but, I can't disagree more. If he decides to transfer up, it will not go well. The more we saw him play, the more apparent it became.

There are several points to his game that are below, and some well below, what is needed to be competitive at an A-10 level. I can't say whether he will ever get there, but, as stated previously, he wasn't going to be ready by next year.

You may recall some of Coach Fezz's comments during the season.
I think Fezz is a good basketball mind, BUT....he was pretty down on David Gonzalvez after his freshman year and beyond...soo.....

Reactions: urfan1
OK, that's it. I need everyone's height taken in bare feet ASAP!!!!! :):):):).

A quick google search has Jason Nelson listed as 5'10 everywhere - so really 5'9.

A quick google search has Trevor Smith listed as either 6'0 or 6'2.

Based on SDAD's observation - if Jaynel is 5'9 than Smith is 5'8". What the???
Yeah, Smith ain’t 6’ and I’m 5’9 and Jaynel is my height…🤷🏼‍♂️😀

OK, that's it. I need everyone's height taken in bare feet ASAP!!!!! :):):):).

A quick google search has Jason Nelson listed as 5'10 everywhere - so really 5'9.

A quick google search has Trevor Smith listed as either 6'0 or 6'2.

Based on SDAD's observation - if Jaynel is 5'9 than Smith is 5'8". What the???
Trevor claims to be 6'0" ... 6'1".

I hope Dji keeps developing and that he's the starting PG. I'd rather not go with a true freshman pg again ... unless he's the clear answer. ideally Trevor gets some time right away as backup PG but isn't handed the keys. ease him in. just like a football QB, it's not always best to throw them right in there. at some point maybe he and Dji play together, but early on I'd like him getting 10-15 mpg strictly at the point.

as for Dji scoring, if we put the right team on the floor with him he doesn't need to be a huge scorer. slash when it's there. hit the open shot. but create for Roche and Randolph and the young SFs, and get the ball inside. that and defend like crazy.

Trevor claims to be 6'0" ... 6'1".

I hope Dji keeps developing and that he's the starting PG. I'd rather not go with a true freshman pg again ... unless he's the clear answer. ideally Trevor gets some time right away as backup PG but isn't handed the keys. ease him in. just like a football QB, it's not always best to throw them right in there. at some point maybe he and Dji play together, but early on I'd like him getting 10-15 mpg strictly at the point.

as for Dji scoring, if we put the right team on the floor with him he doesn't need to be a huge scorer. slash when it's there. hit the open shot. but create for Roche and Randolph and the young SFs, and get the ball inside. that and defend like crazy.
Agree with all of that. As far as Smith being 6’ 😬 ok 🤷🏼‍♂️ I’m with a lot of you and waiting to see who we bring in, but I do like a few of the guys we are looking at. I personally would like to see Dji hit 10-12 ppg & 6-8 assists or rbs. Im not sure if our system will dictate that from the guard spot but if he doesn’t look to score it def ain’t going happen. Guys have a lot of work to do. I think our foreign trip has been put on hold so they will have to get the work in pickup this summer.

Yeah, Smith ain’t 6’ and I’m 5’9 and Jaynel is my height…🤷🏼‍♂️😀
Well, I guess that probably explains a bit of the Jaynel transfer. You can't play two sub 6 foot guard together, one of them was going to play and one wasn't. I guess Jaynel surmised which one he was.

Agree with all of that. As far as Smith being 6’ 😬 ok 🤷🏼‍♂️ I’m with a lot of you and waiting to see who we bring in, but I do like a few of the guys we are looking at. I personally would like to see Dji hit 10-12 ppg & 6-8 assists or rbs. Im not sure if our system will dictate that from the guard spot but if he doesn’t look to score it def ain’t going happen. Guys have a lot of work to do. I think our foreign trip has been put on hold so they will have to get the work in pickup this summer.
Yes to all of this, Dji can average both of those but he can only score if he is looking to score. This was an issue with all of our guards last year and needs to be corrected. Made us way to easy to defend.

Jason's uncle isn't exactly thrilled with JOC's take on things.

So you shouldn’t mention an incoming point guard in an article about a point guard transferring out of the program?
No, not in the way he did. JOC always does something like that. It was unnecessary…mention Smith at the end of article as a recruit coming in with Tanner if at all. Just the way I see it, feel free to disagree 😀✊🏼

sdad, I need you to work 1 hour a day with Dji on mid range pull up. Read and saw a lot of video of Lamont Butler working on this past off season. Dji's size and skill, this could be a huge part of his game. It is not the metrics some look for in today's game. But it has worked well for Lamont, and Kawhi Leonard, and Curtis Blair. When the a 6'5 guard with length and athleticism can make a 10-12 footer like a layup, it is a great weapon in the arsenal.

I know, these guys all have trainers and working out all off season, but I think a little extra dad time working on making 10-15 mid range in a row for an hour straight would do wonders :):):).

And then convince him to keep shooting them in games. Not disregarding the three's but he should be able to get 2-3 wide open 10 footers per game. Layups.

sdad, I need you to work 1 hour a day with Dji on mid range pull up. Read and saw a lot of video of Lamont Butler working on this past off season. Dji's size and skill, this could be a huge part of his game. It is not the metrics some look for in today's game. But it has worked well for Lamont, and Kawhi Leonard, and Curtis Blair. When the a 6'5 guard with length and athleticism can make a 10-12 footer like a layup, it is a great weapon in the arsenal.

I know, these guys all have trainers and working out all off season, but I think a little extra dad time working on making 10-15 mid range in a row for an hour straight would do wonders :):):).

And then convince him to keep shooting them in games. Not disregarding the three's but he should be able to get 2-3 wide open 10 footers per game. Layups.
Funny you say that…that was big part of his game and what caught the eye of many schools during his recruitment. He’s just went away from it…I don’t know why. But he is headed to Tx this summer to work with his trainer. Gilbert runs the pre draft camp(also Spurs G League ast coach now) and is going to stay with him for a bit. Hoping Gil can ignite the dog! But very good advice and some I will continue to encourage him with! ✊🏼🕷️🏀

No, not in the way he did. JOC always does something like that. It was unnecessary…mention Smith at the end of article as a recruit coming in with Tanner if at all. Just the way I see it, feel free to disagree 😀✊🏼
I think it's important to explain the full PG situation to the fans that don't follow as closely as we do here. otherwise they're like "OMG, what are we going to do at PG?!"

so I like that he mentioned Smith, but think he should have gone further and said that Nelson lost his starting spot late in the year to Dji ... who started his last 7 games at point before getting injured. and I'd add with Nelson leaving, Mooney will be looking to add a PG transfer.

Funny you say that…that was big part of his game and what caught the eye of many schools during his recruitment. He’s just went away from it…I don’t know why. But he is headed to Tx this summer to work with his trainer. Gilbert runs the pre draft camp(also Spurs G League ast coach now) and is going to stay with him for a bit. Hoping Gil can ignite the dog! But very good advice and some I will continue to encourage him with! ✊🏼🕷️🏀
Good update. Like to hear these summer plans, good stuff. I do agree that one of his biggest issues this year was just not looking at the basket enough. Good things tended to happen when he was aggressive. And we need to keep him in one piece this offseason and season. That will certainly go a long way to a successful season.

my bigger concern is when he's the only ball handler on the court, like when paired with Roche.
I thought he got in trouble handling against pressure a few times. can't come across mid court on the sideline and get trapped.
Most definitely

I didn’t read any disrespect there. No, it wasn’t glowing just matter of fact. What it was missing was a comment by Mooney or acknowledgment by JOC he attempted to gain comment. That should really be there as a prominent local recruit and mostly starter.

JOC has made assumptions b4 but not evident in that article. He made it last week when he inferred a transfer out due to transfers in. So he was on target u could say w/o swimming deep in the rumor mill. Fact is JOC assumptions r often based on things he’s been “told” by the coaches & other close sources. So it could be related to Smith AND an incoming transfer. Or…maybe Moon system just sapped Nelson’s confidence. JOC wouldn’t say the last part tho bc we do know he treats Moon w kid gloves.

Reactions: spider23
JOC got his Mooney comment on Nelson, though not really anything to it…sorry to see him go, but details in reasons are between them.

And unsurprisingly sounds like nothing new with Tyler and we won’t know anything for a while until he goes through the process.

Good update. Like to hear these summer plans, good stuff. I do agree that one of his biggest issues this year was just not looking at the basket enough. Good things tended to happen when he was aggressive. And we need to keep him in one piece this offseason and season. That will certainly go a long way to a successful season.
At UR, not looking at the basket when you catch the ball is called running the offense.

Hate to lose a local player, but good luck to JayNel. Hope he doesn’t end up with the Broad St boys, but wouldn’t be surprised if he did since that program is in full build a team mode.

This type of escape is exactly what the portal and the revised transfer rules bring and why a number of coaches decided to retire. It is a “get off my lawn” moment, but I am going to miss the consistency that used to be the rule in college sports. Going to take a different kind of coach to be able to thrive in this environment.

I don’t see the Soiders building anything. Looks like a sea of transitional years ahead with players that no fan will know.

(Forgot to put on initial post)
Note: @spider23 Good thing you didn’t start your player review with Nelson or the Board would have really been accused of running him off.

Last edited:
If he does go to VCU, fully expecting him to drop 30 and 12 assists against us at every opportunity.
If he does goes to VCU I’m fully expecting Dji to guard him and shut him down. 1 for 9, 2 assists, 5 turnovers, 1 sad walk to the bench.

But really, I wish Jaynel the best in the next step of his career. I’ll be following along and cheering for him

He would become the biggest turncoat in school history if he went to that slime, and his return trips to the RC would be unpleasant. I think he has better sense than to do that, though.

He would become the biggest turncoat in school history if he went to that slime, and his return trips to the RC would be unpleasant. I think he has better sense than to do that, though.
I think he has better sense to realize the minutes won't be there for him at VCU. If the fit were right there, I would have no issue with him going there because he should do what is best for him. But, I don't see him being a big factor at VCU.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I think he has better sense to realize the minutes won't be there for him at VCU. If the fit were right there, I would have no issue with him going there because he should do what is best for him. But, I don't see him being a big factor at VCU.
That is your personal opinion, we ought to wait what plays out wherever he goes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT