ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Gilyard - 2017 Signee

Before I watched that video from the 50 pt game, I had envisioned him knocking down a ton of 3's, since I know he has a reputation as a great shooter. But his scoring was almost exclusively driving to the hoop in that game. Seems like a versatile player we've got coming in next year, I'm excited.
Might be able to create a new form of triple double - 10 2's, 10 3's, and 10 assists...That would do just fine.

At the risk of sounding old, he could probably do without the mean-mugging after every single made basket.

Aside from that, the cross-over is deadly and it looks like he can score in traffic.

Reactions: gospidersgo
At the risk of sounding old, he could probably do without the mean-mugging after every single made basket.

Aside from that, the cross-over is deadly and it looks like he can score in traffic.
True, and the mugging may be cured in D-1 with an elbow or two, but I like the combination of steals, assists and scoring ability.

Before I watched that video from the 50 pt game, I had envisioned him knocking down a ton of 3's, since I know he has a reputation as a great shooter. But his scoring was almost exclusively driving to the hoop in that game. Seems like a versatile player we've got coming in next year, I'm excited.
Noticed the same thing...he'll have to develop the teardrop for bigger competition like KA and K0 did.

Reactions: urfan1
great ability to change directions on the fly, quick first step, and great body control

Thanks to whoever posted the 50-point video. Very nice!

One observation is that I was most impressed by his overall ball-handling, his assists and his steals than by the 50 points. About 30 of those points, if not more, were lay-ups, and as K Fore has discovered, a lot of those types of lay-ups will be blocked in the A-10. However, the cross-over dribble, the tear-drop, the assists, and the 3-point shots WILL work in the A-10, so it is very nice to see those skills are there. Hope he continues to develop this year and can average 8+ assists, and lots of 3s.

Reactions: SpiderK
Another big game for Jacob, 35 points.

Jacob taking on other team's defense aimed at stopping him: OSC

Last edited:
bunch of flatfooted small guys in black. not the most imposing defense I've seen.

Gilyard is playing VERY consistently, and very well! Hope he can keep things going and have a very outstanding senior season.

In verbal commits he is a two star. Not worth arguing about. He is good.

Verbal commits is not updates. As Ulla points out he is a 3* at rivals, but Verbal has him as not rated by rivals at all.

Geez, arguing about stars. Let's hope the game we see vs. HS players translates to our level. Kid has some skills, I am pulling for him. Any Cato updates? Really annoyed about Godwin again, that really puts a hurt on this class. How about AJ?

Stars are completely meaningless but I love how Ulla can find the one recruiting site that has the most stars for our recruits each and every time.

Reactions: Eight Legger
What sucks is that we have to go through a year of waiting and hoping that this kid a) doesn't blow up and attract more attention from bigger midwest schools and b) doesn't fall 2 points short on his ACT next year. I suspect Mooney will be making many more trips to KC to keep him locked in. This kid has the look of a winner.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
What sucks is that we have to go through a year of waiting and hoping that this kid a) doesn't blow up and attract more attention from bigger midwest schools and b) doesn't fall 2 points short on his ACT next year. I suspect Mooney will be making many more trips to KC to keep him locked in. This kid has the look of a winner.
this isn't a verbal. he signed.

Sorry, was forgetting he was already signed. Too much football talk on the brain lately, I guess. Hope nothing happens to change his situation before next fall!

Like hearing comments like this about Jacob even though his team lost. OSC

"While the Thunder still led by 11 going into the fourth quarter, no lead was safe because of the scoring ability of Barstow senior Jacob Gilyard. The Richmond signee scored at will — shooting 10-of-15 from the field and six for eight from the line — on his way to a game-high 36 points. Gilyard, who poured in a school-record 50 points on Monday against Washington, earned tournament MVP honors."

http://m.shawneedispatch.com/news/2...l-tops-barstow-championship/?templates=mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT