ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Gilyard - 2017 Signee

our small PG's in the past were mostly all undersized scoring guards. who else would you consider a PG that created opportunities for others? just Anderson? Beckwith of course, but he couldn't shoot.
I agree, 23. Gilyard might be the biggest get in the class. every time we seem like we're getting away from 5'9" guys, we bring in another great one!

All of our recruits for 2017 are good. Was told that Nathan may have greatest potential. OSC

Last edited:
BS spiderman, Beck was a very good shooter from the key, just was not his job under DT. watched him in the finals of the tourney where we went dancing and he hit like 5 in a row because they left him open. he knew what DT wanted and it was not him shooting the ball but he could.

I'm sure your memory is better than mine. as I recall, they left him open for a reason. glad he hit those shots though.
amazing PG. Hall of Famer because of his skills as a ball handler, passer, and defender. And a top quality guy. I just don't remember him as a threat to shoot. at all. but I can't find stats to prove or disprove that.

just don't tell me John Davis could shoot but it wasn't his job too!

I'm sure your memory is better than mine. as I recall, they left him open for a reason. glad he hit those shots though.
amazing PG. Hall of Famer because of his skills as a ball handler, passer, and defender. And a top quality guy. I just don't remember him as a threat to shoot. at all. but I can't find stats to prove or disprove that.

just don't tell me John Davis could shoot but it wasn't his job too!
I believe Beckwith only had 1 season shooting over 50%. So yes he couldn't create his own outside shot, but could hit if left open.

As to Davis, I believe he did shoot over 50% every season, but the vast majority were within 3 feet. ;)

just to add info, the game was up at umwcah's convo center. also, beck paid me to post these

The more I see of Jacob the more I get excited about him being a spider. Love his quickness, instincts, desire to distribute and get others the ball in position to score.

16.5 points, 6 assists and 5 steals per game for our future point guard during his junior season (based on the posted article above). Nice!

Looking forward to seeing him have a "blow-up" great senior season too, and getting his team back to the playoffs again. I believe we got a good one and a guy who will fit very nicely into our Spider family.

“I do think the bigger schools did pass on me because of my size, but that’s OK,” Gilyard said. “I’m going to a place that I fell in love with right away.”

If there is one thing I have to credit CM for, it is his ability to find and recruit great point guards. I'm for one excited to see him in a spider uniform the next four years!

I think if you go into Gilyard's house with a highlight video of Kendall Anthony and Kevin Anderson and say "this is how we envision you at Richmond", suddenly our odds are pretty good. a small guard that can shoot has to love our style.

same thing with walking into Golden's house with a video of TJ. what skilled big man wouldn't love to have the offense run through him as much as we do?

Reactions: spiderjpo
In 3 quarters no less -- was Mooney in attendance tonight? I understand he was on a recruiting trip and I thought I heard KC

He said he was watching a high school game in KC when he called into the radio show

Looks like our guy is "blowing up" in his senior year, which is very welcome since we canuse him immediately next season. Is anyone following our other commits so far this fall? Can someone start a new thread called "UR commits for 2017: Senior season updates." It would be fun to see that several of our commits are having really impressive senior seasons, especially TJ Ford, who did nto have an impressive junior season, but does appear to have some impressive skills.

Anyone interested on starting an interesting new thread with 2017 commit updates?

We can leverage the recruiting thread that is sucked or just go back and update in each of the guys' threads.

He outscored the other team in just 3 quarters.... the 50 points is a new school record and Mooney was in attendance.

In his last outing, he had 8 steals as well.

I understand Shawn Barber has been to see him play several times--certainly a great Spider athlete

Holy Smoke! Jacob is quick! Check out the move at ca. 1:00 min. Man! OSC

Last edited:
Reactions: gcarter52
We need to replace a lot of scoring next season, hopefully Gilyard will be able to contribute from day 1. The only freshmen Mooney has had who scored over 10 a game were Geriot, KA and K0. Who knows Gilyard might be another special scoring guard.

Reactions: SpiderK
We need to replace a lot of scoring next season, hopefully Gilyard will be able to contribute from day 1. The only freshmen Mooney has had who scored over 10 a game were Geriot, KA and K0. Who knows Gilyard might be another special scoring guard.

He'll be the first to tell you that he he would rather be racking up assists. He can obviously score if he has to, but he likes to create for others.

Before I watched that video from the 50 pt game, I had envisioned him knocking down a ton of 3's, since I know he has a reputation as a great shooter. But his scoring was almost exclusively driving to the hoop in that game. Seems like a versatile player we've got coming in next year, I'm excited.

Reactions: MrTbone and SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT