ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Gilyard - 2017 Signee

Peter was amazing, and a great guy. I recall he played in a pro league of under 6'5" players. My recollection was he barley qualified, 6' 41/2" sticks in my mind

Woolfolk was 6'3 maybe 6'4 240lbs- I remember Tarrant being asked one time what if he was 6'6 or 6'7. His reply-"we wouldn't have him". David Robinson I believe said that Woolfolk was the most physical player he ever went up against even though he was 6 inches shorter

http://www.richmond.com/archive/article_30a32bcd-4e94-5d4a-ac99-41490a6cbd6c.html

"Woolfolk was a formidable force during the 1987-88 season: a 6-foot-5, 230-pound senior from Jefferson-Huguenot-Wythe High who used his combination of strength and quickness around the basket to average 18.3 points and 9.2 rebounds."

Nice practice video; remember Kevin Anderson coming off screens in a similar manner and hitting winning baskets. OSC

spiderman, you are right; times have changed! OSC
Yes, I was wrong. I'm sure he's never been called for that in high school how could he have if he's a Division 1 prospect. He's probably the second coming of Kevin Anderson.
It will never be 1982 again and palming the basketball will never be called again because it makes for better basketball.
And I'm sure I'm the only one slightly nauseated by some of the false optimism on this board. I wish all our recruits the best... Just calling it like I see it.

Reactions: iSpider
Yes, I was wrong. I'm sure he's never been called for that in high school how could he have if he's a Division 1 prospect. He's probably the second coming of Kevin Anderson.
It will never be 1982 again and palming the basketball will never be called again because it makes for better basketball.
And I'm sure I'm the only one slightly nauseated by some of the false optimism on this board. I wish all our recruits the best... Just calling it like I see it.
LongTime, as an old guy I can remember when just about every dribble by current players would have been called "palming" or "carrying" the ball. Of course, I seem to recall when there were jump balls at the foul lines. The game has changed tremendously over the last 60 years. BTW, I apologize for my optimism, just the way I have approached my life. OSC

Ulla, this isn't a dig on Gilyard at all, as I think he's going to be good for us, but 247 also has Chris Richard, Peter Thomas, Monte Sanders, Kevin Hovde ahead of SDJ. Harper is also behind Conor Smith.

Ulla, this isn't a dig on Gilyard at all, as I think he's going to be good for us, but 247 also has Chris Richard, Peter Thomas, Monte Sanders, Kevin Hovde ahead of SDJ. Harper is also behind Conor Smith.
05, agree that it is an inexact science, but if you look at the top 8 on the list, save for Trey Davis, they are pretty impressive. OSC

05, agree that it is an inexact science, but if you look at the top 8 on the list, save for Trey Davis, they are pretty impressive. OSC

#1 was a poor fit at UR and never did much here.
#2 never lived up to the rating but was a solid player.
#3 was great.
#4 & #5 TBD
#6 Good but not Top 15 producer on that list.
#7 & #8 TBD
#9 Nice guy, not a bad center, no impact (transfer), no impact (transfer)

We disagree. Our two best in the time were ranked #17 and #23.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
05, don't disagree with you in the least. Sure Kevin and Justin were two of our best players, no doubt. However of the four in the top eight for us who have graduated, all started early and were important contributors. Now the two who will play this year, Nick and De'monte, both are expected to play significant minutes. Save for being injured his junior year, Grant would have likely made the list. Thus it seems likely based on past performances, Nick, De'monte, Marquis and Jacob will play or even start early and contribute. Not saying any of them will be hall of famers, just saying they will likely be starters and contributors early on. OSC

I hope Gilyard is a player but being on the Top 10 of that list is pretty meaningless.

Really like the looks of this recruit. As much as we need size, I do think we need to add a guy that can really play the lead guard. We are adding a lot of talent between the frosh and the '17 recruiting class so far. Would love to add a big. You never know how a recruit is going to pan out at this level, BUT I love what I perceive as the Love of the Game, intangibles, "it factor" of the guys in the freshman and '17 classes. May not pan out, and I have been wrong on some of these, but I recall loving the tape on Kevin Anderson, he had the "it factor" in my book. We have three players in the freshman class, and I feel like Godwin, Schneider and Gilyard all have the skills and love of the game to be big time contributors. Add in Solly, and we are continuing to add some really nice talent. Would love to add a 6'8 to 6'10 guy ahead of Bryce :) next year.

Reactions: urfan1 and Ulla1
Bigs take longer to "develop" would love to have one in each class

Gilyard's size probably hold him back from being even higher ranked. very talented kid. also a very crowded, talented backcourt. but some versatile guys. CM will find time for those that earn it.

Looks like we're are getting basketball players now and not just picking up any 6'10"
Goober that can't tie their shoes off the reject pile.

Reactions: Ulla1
Not sure if the video will load here, but 30 seconds of it is on youtube:

Jacob Gilyard Retweeted
luke cooper‏@LukeCooperHDSep 20
104 threes without missing 2 in a row.
1f3c0.png
1f44c-1f3fd.png
@G1LYARD

30 retweets75 likes

Nice to see we have gotten a PG who can step in for ShawnDre after this season, and who can clearly really handle the ball.

We cannot have too many good PG's on the team, so am always happy to see a good one commit early. Now, on to the one or two BIGs we can use to take over for TJ, at the C and PF positions.

Nice to see we have gotten a PG who can step in for ShawnDre after this season, and who can clearly really handle the ball.

We cannot have too many good PG's on the team, so am always happy to see a good one commit early. Now, on to the one or two BIGs we can use to take over for TJ, at the C and PF positions.
I think we can have too many good PGs. If we had 13 really good point guards our team probably wouldn't be too good.

SDJ is not even our PG now, that will be Khwan this year, with SDJ playing more 2 guard. And then we have Demonte as well as another good PG option. gilyard may be really good but he is coming into and already stacked and young crowd of guards. Meanwhile we have 2 players on roster who are legit low post options, which is at least 2 too few. Need more big men desperately.

DMB can play point, but he's not really a point. Gilyard is a true point.
yes, we need a bigger guy now.

SDJ is not even our PG now, that will be Khwan this year, with SDJ playing more 2 guard. And then we have Demonte as well as another good PG option. gilyard may be really good but he is coming into and already stacked and young crowd of guards. Meanwhile we have 2 players on roster who are legit low post options, which is at least 2 too few. Need more big men desperately.

How are we defining point guard? The player that directs the offense? The player with the ball in his hand most often? Or, more quantifiably, the player with the most assists/highest assist rate? I didn't really notice Khwan directing the offense more than SDJ or handling the ball more than SDJ. He was 5th on the team in assist rate (behind TJ, SDJ, TD, and TA). Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see in what way KF was more of a PG than SDJ.

I agree, 11. we here tend to think in terms of defined 1-5 position more than our system does. I understand the wish is to have SDJ as the primary shooter, making him the shooting guard in some eyes. but we consistently play a 2 ball-handling guard lineup with neither necessarily running the offense more than the other. our offense doesn't require a PG dominating the ball handling duties and creating for others. the ball moves. everyone has to be able to handle the ball. we don't even need defined 1-5 roles on defense with what we've been playing. but if we go man as some hope, then we will need to match up size and quickness-wise with other teams on that side of the ball.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Gilyard seems a very solid recruit. I suspect he will push for and get some playing time early on.

I have no problems with Mooney's eye for good point guards. That has not been our problem.

I can't emphasize enough how many good things I've heard about this kid.

I hope this helps take some of the sting away from losing Godwin.
Nice article. Very excited about this guy. While you can't teach height, quickness, jumping ability (I know you can improve these), I do think you can't teach the "it" factor either. This kid is confident and skilled and appears to have a strong desire to be very good. BTW I think Godwin has the same, but with Godwin seemingly out, I think this guy is the top guy in this recruiting class now. Very big get for our program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT