ADVERTISEMENT

GW game thread - Wed 7pm - NBC Sports App only (not ESPN+ or MASN)

Not sure it would even be the biggest Dayton game this century. I remember one late 2010 season when we were really trying to solidy our at large resume in Moon's 1st NCAA year.

But no doubt it would be big if both r 6-0 and Dayton ranked.

When that is on the horizon this GW one could normally be the proverbial trap game. Now GW being 14-4 kind of eliminates the "trap" but idk certainly a chance of looking ahead. I think we'll be locked in.

GW coming off a loss today at UMass.

Former Spider recruiting target Darren Buchanan will be a load trying to contain inside at 6'7" 235 lbs. He gets to the line a lot but shoots under 50% from there. Harris may be needed a decent amount.

In looking at their starters, they seem to run a pretty tall/big team out there and get a ton of scoring from their starters.

Not sure it would even be the biggest Dayton game this century. I remember one late 2010 season when we were really trying to solidy our at large resume in Moon's 1st NCAA year.
yeah I tend to be into hyperbole at times .. crazy tense and exciting to be there yesterday and still can't believe I was able to get one row behind Spiders bench directly from Davidson less than 10 days ago. What a game and even the drive back this morning was easy.

Don't Know - first time we have ever played "the Revolutionaries"
since they changed from "Colonials" ..............but they kept the George Washington mascot so not sure how to interpret that?

Last edited:
GW's weakness seems to be perimeter defense. Surprisingly, Richmond's scoring has been balanced this year. They will have a rough night if they don't guard King. This is from the GW message board:

One common denominator in all 4 of GW’s losses this year is uncommonly high numbers of threes made against us and/or career games for someone.

- UIC hit 13 threes and got then-career highs from both CJ Jones and Isaiah Rivers.

- South Carolina made a school record 18 threes.

- Fordham, usually a bad shooting team, made a school record 19 threes and got a career high from Antrell Charlton.

- UMASS shot it poorly in the first half when it was tied, but shot 6-10 from three in the second half and got a career night from Rashool Diggins.

Obviously that is a sign of our defenses lapses, but also shows opponents have to really execute to beat us. I fully expect Neal Quinn to hit a couple of threes (I know he’s never hit 2 in a game, but he hit one against us last year and he may be out there to pull Akingbola away from the rim). I know Richmond likes to keep teams on the perimeter so expect a lot of threes from GW - whether we are on will dictate whether it’s a close game or not.

As a general rule, we don't want our bigs taking three point shots. Unless of course it is Bigs, who shoots 38.7% from 3. Our top 3 point marksmen are King (41.3%), Bigelow (38.7%), Bailey (38.1%), and Roche (34.5%). Our chances are better if we set-up inside shots from the outside and use cuts to the basket to score.

GW's weakness seems to be perimeter defense. Surprisingly, Richmond's scoring has been balanced this year. They will have a rough night if they don't guard King. This is from the GW message board:

One common denominator in all 4 of GW’s losses this year is uncommonly high numbers of threes made against us and/or career games for someone.

- UIC hit 13 threes and got then-career highs from both CJ Jones and Isaiah Rivers.

- South Carolina made a school record 18 threes.

- Fordham, usually a bad shooting team, made a school record 19 threes and got a career high from Antrell Charlton.

- UMASS shot it poorly in the first half when it was tied, but shot 6-10 from three in the second half and got a career night from Rashool Diggins.

Obviously that is a sign of our defenses lapses, but also shows opponents have to really execute to beat us. I fully expect Neal Quinn to hit a couple of threes (I know he’s never hit 2 in a game, but he hit one against us last year and he may be out there to pull Akingbola away from the rim). I know Richmond likes to keep teams on the perimeter so expect a lot of threes from GW - whether we are on will dictate whether it’s a close game or not.

thanks for finding and sharing the link from their board. "Winston fan" self-described as a Spider fan has done some scouting for GW it would seem ..

Reactions: SpiderDad75
It seems that this team has developed a chemistry as the season progressed. I am surprised given the roster turnover. It speaks to the character of this team. If we had this chemistry at the beginning of the season, our record would have been much better. I would also say that this is probably Coach Mooney 's best coaching effort.

"For some reason, Richmond is on an 8 game winning streak. I am afraid they might be looking ahead to the Dayton game, but George Washington is too good."

My question is...is this really a UR fan? IF so, terrible and his statement doesn't even make sense. "For some reason, Richmond is on an 8 game winning streak" 🙄

Reactions: urfan1
I feel like Bishop scored about 40 against us last year. They have Garrett Johnson, and Darren Buchanan too (former Spider targets). That is a very formidable trio right there. We really need to be locked in and motivated for this one.
There two guards scored a lot but idk if its the same guys bc I haven't followed them at all this season. I do remember when Dji was in and locked in on D they didn't score much but Dji also wasn't playing at the level is he now or the mins. Someone on here said something to the contrary and I went back and rewatched so I def remember. We weren't great defensively up top but I think we have much better defenders this year than last. Lets take care of business Wed and keep this web spinning 😀🕷️🏀

"For some reason, Richmond is on an 8 game winning streak. I am afraid they might be looking ahead to the Dayton game, but George Washington is too good."

My question is...is this really a UR fan? IF so, terrible and his statement doesn't even make sense. "For some reason, Richmond is on an 8 game winning streak" 🙄
Exactly - very odd ..

Last edited:
I feel like Bishop scored about 40 against us last year. They have Garrett Johnson, and Darren Buchanan too (former Spider targets). That is a very formidable trio right there. We really need to be locked in and motivated for this one.
Don't forget Maximus

Reactions: spider23
this feels like a trap game. Coming home, where UR plays well and is unbeaten, with a huge game on horizon right afterward...keep em focused Moon! GW won a bunch of OT games earlier in year IIRC. They beat some iffy teams by only a little, but likely have their sea legs under them and are better than they were early in OOC (same as UR.) Lost a triple OT game to Fordham, UMass held them to 67 recently (at UMass) and they lost vs UIC (neutral I think) and at S. Carolina by double digits. Getting this game at home is huge.

GW wants to play the game in the 70s or 80s. UR wants to keep them in the 60s. I think UR should be able to score against GW, but has to resist the urge to get into a back and forth scoring affair, and continue to lock down on defense. GW has size, Spiders have speed. Interesting contrast in styles in this one.

Don't want to beat a dead horse here, but totally echo the other sentiments of this being a trap game with the potential big matchup with Dayton looming. I trust our veteran group to give this game our full attention, but I'll be surprised if GW doesn't come out hot and their guards give us all we can handle. Will be looking to Neal to stay out of foul trouble and give us 30 strong minutes to take some of the pressure off of King. I know Akingbola is a solid defensive Center but Neal should be able to take advantage of every matchup in the A10 besides when he goes against Holmes.

GW had a high power offense that ranks 1st in the A10 averaging 81.8 points a game. They rank 2nd in 3 point shooting averaging at 38.7%. They have 4 guys averaging over 12 points a game. We need to stop Garrett Johnson who is shooting 44.6% from 3 and Maximus Edwards shooting 38.8% from 3.

Last edited:
I think Harris has to see a lot of minutes here.

Depends on how things are going but we may need more of Dji at the 2, along with Bigs and Harris (aka our big wing lineup) which keeps us versatile on offense and bigger on defense.

Maybe our small guards can give them trouble in the backcourt tho, dunno.

Agree we need a BIG game from Neal here.

Don't want to beat a dead horse here, but totally echo the other sentiments of this being a trap game with the potential big matchup with Dayton looming. I trust our veteran group to give this game our full attention, but I'll be surprised if GW doesn't come out hot and their guards give us all we can handle. Will be looking to Neal to stay out of foul trouble and give us 30 strong minutes to take some of the pressure off of King. I know Akingbola is a solid defensive Center but Neal should be able to take advantage of every matchup in the A10 besides when he goes against Holmes.
Our guys are taking the one game at a time approach. People on the sidelines view this as a trap game. We are not the same team as in the past! #Go Spiders🕷️🕷️🕸️🕸️

Don't Know - first time we have ever played "the Revolutionaries"
since they changed from "Colonials" ..............but they kept the George Washington mascot so not sure how to interpret that?

spider fan don't bother trying to figure out the academic elite. Colonials was troublesome but Revolutionaries is not. Appeasing the kids wearing Che Guevara t shirts is what matters.

Looks like the Spider troll has moved to posting on other A10 boards - a new tactic.

someone send Winston a link to spiderfans. We need you on that wall Winston. It's not that expensive to post over here.
I don’t think Winston’s posts meet the grammatical requirements here at Spidernation. /s

yeah read as well .. someone put a lot of time into the writeup
The write-up understates the contributions of Bailey, given his improved confidence and contribution. The Great One, Dick Tarrant, always noted that a player's confidence was vital to his success. Bailey has been the key in developing the team's chemistry. He is the linchpin in the Spiders' run. His efforts have been masterful. Bailey's take to the basket in the last score of the Duquesne game was awe-inspiring. We are fortunate to have his presence and experience on the court. He is a an even better person than he is a player.

yeah read as well .. someone put a lot of time into the writeup

wow. that was thorough. Going to have to check out Haslametrics more too. Everything about writeup impressive except his name. dmvpiranha. He must be young. I don't trust anyone who uses the term "dmv" in relation to Washington, DC metro area. It's like ESPN stats. Never to be trusted.

Winston is a much better name. Old school.

Pretty sure "Winston" is already posting here. Easy enough to match up writing styles. (And no, I'm not Winston.)

From "Winston":
Rebounding is not a strength
Richmond ranks 1st in defensive rebounding percentage in A10 conference play. Rebounding is a big strength of the defense. We are 67th in the country this year for defensive rebounding %, very solid.

GW is actually a pretty bad rebounding team this year, deep in the 200s for both offense and defense.

I guess it's not super obvious to me. I'm disappointed in myself. I was lucky to get into U of R tho. I mean if he brought up Brian Dutcher & SDSU then yeah I would get it.
yeah I tried to register on their site earlier but said no more registrations allowed - Winston joined in 2020 it seems

The write-up understates the contributions of Bailey, given his improved confidence and contribution. The Great One, Dick Tarrant, always noted that a player's confidence was vital to his success. Bailey has been the key in developing the team's chemistry. He is the linchpin in the Spiders' run. His efforts have been masterful. Bailey's take to the basket in the last score of the Duquesne game was awe-inspiring. We are fortunate to have his presence and experience on the court. He is a an even better person than he is a player.
🙏🏼 appreciate the kind words. 🕷️🏀

Unfortunately, (as mentioned above) the four year player doesn't really exist anymore

I guess he has filled the Gustavson role on the team. The one hole in his game continues to be at the FT line, as he's actually faring better from the field than the charity stripe

I’m with G…def downplayed my guy! The 1st quote I would say “See Also Dji Bailey”

Def disagree with the 2nd one as well, I would argue he does more than Goose at least the Goose that was back from injuries. And Dji has been 9-10 the last few trips to the line and most of them were in clutch time 😀 Let’s keep that going.

But cool, we like when he’s overlooked(see also only 10 min a game or less this yr), we are just going to keep on working. 🕷️🏀

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT